This was an amazing win

Michael Knight

I think everyone in the UT locker room would agree given the postgame celebration. Reminded me of the KU win last year. And sometimes I wonder if that mentality keeps this team from being great. 
Pretty sure they were cheering for perseverance and finishing what the end goal was, which is to win.

Not beating tech.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Playing Kansas at home in the middle of the season and playing Tech in Lubbock for our 2nd game in the middle of a global pandemic are not remotely similar. 

That raucous 25% capacity Jones stadium crowd is intimidating no doubt. And good point on the COVID angle, no other team in the country has had to deal with it, only Texas.

I don’t have a problem calling the game what it was. A bad team played shitty against a good team that played extremely shitty. Texas came out on top in the end, which is what ultimately matters. Not super encouraging to see though. I truly thought Texas was going to cakewalk to an unbeaten season. I don’t know about that after today. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Playing Kansas at home in the middle of the season and playing Tech in Lubbock for our 2nd game in the middle of a global pandemic are not remotely similar. 

This. Last year’s Kansas game was indicative of a downward trajectory. The team was literally decaying before the world, on both sides of the ball.

Today’s game exposed huge flaws, many of which can be attributed to reduced practice time. It’s not easy to install new schemes on both sides of the ball. The defense may or may not be schematically optimized for Big-12 play. However, balancing learning a new defensive playbook while emphasizing fundamentals was obviously an issue going into this season. If the rumors hold true, missing our OC in the booth threw a big wrench in play calling. 

I’m happy to see us pull this win out via an exciting comeback. I’m disappointed in the execution of basic blocking and tackling, but I understand the effect of the time constraints. This was probably the worst offseason for a coaching overhaul. How well the coaching staff manages practice time from this game forward will decide whether we sniff the a Big-12 title game.

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lucky is the word that comes to my mind. And Herman is full of spit. Sam told me they left too much time on the clock so I knew we were good. What a crock. Onside kick, while well executed, took the perfect bounce and a butterfingered Tech player AND Epps being in exactly the right spot at the right time. 

Don't get me wrong. I give the kids big props for not giving up and making the necessary plays to win the game. That bodes well for the future. By December all that will matter is that we won.

Oh, by the way. Way to save your timeouts, Mensa.

• Like 1

A lot of crazy shit going on early this college season. You don’t have to look far to see proof. Turns out, we ain’t immune. Hopefully this gives us something to build from and move forward.

BTW, some of you appear to not have much history with Tech at their place. They always give us a game, no matter how shitty they are.

I’ll take this win and like it. (Our special teams need some extra work.)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If aggy just beat tech after tech barely beat Houston Baptist we would be laughing not celebrating. But sure pop the cork!! Huge program shifting win!!

Did you see aggy struggle like fuck with a miserable Vandy team with a true freshman QB? Vandy would've been rolled by HB

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

4th & 18 vs Kansas? 

Look, there's a lot to be disappointed with in every phase of the game yesterday but they won. LSU and OU lost to similar opponents but Texas survived. Let's see how the team improves.

Of course I’m happy we won. That’s not the point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

Didn't say that. Vandy is terrible: #110 preseason SP+ ... Aggy yesterday would have been mudholed in Lubbock

Tech wouldn't have played aggy the way they played Texas. That's just how it is when teams play vs Texas - they always give their best game of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Game turned on the botched Punt for a TD.   We’re up 10 getting the ball back. We did this last year too. We have to minimize-eliminate the self inflicted wounds.  Cover the punt, go up 17 and that game is much different. We did that vs Tulsa last year, KU, and another game.  We have to learn to put teams away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Game turned on the botched Punt for a TD.   We’re up 10 getting the ball back. We did this last year too. We have to minimize-eliminate the self inflicted wounds.  Cover the punt, go up 17 and that game is much different. We did that vs Tulsa last year, KU, and another game.  We have to learn to put teams away. 

It's year 4 for herman, it's who he is. It's not gonna change and what you saw yesterday is what we saw all last season and we will continue to see the majority of this season as well. Nail biter games with WTF plays and WTF play calling and WTF missed tackles. 

Edited by Rockethorn1978
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It sucked to ever be in that position in the first place, down 15 with 3 minutes to go.

But I also think it says a lot about the team that we didn’t give up in a situation where most people considered the game out of reach. Yes, we got a lucky break on the onside kick, but that’s part of the game.

Lots of great football teams have had a similar ugly game somewhere in their season that they’ve had to overcome to go onto a championship. Let’s just learn from it and not make it a habit this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

So...morning after. Should fans be excited about the heart shown by the team? Or, have a sense of dread because that game was a leading indicator that this program continues to wander the wilderness.

Or, is it best to just walk around for the next week like an institutionalized mental patient whose been over-medicated with Thorazine, until the next two games reveal the true status of this program?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I agree on the early comment, re: Herman’s 4th year. This was supposed to be an easy win. Look at our next 5 games. Not an easy win amongst them. I would feel much better had we not had three horrific ST plays, and the D still cannot generate a consistent pass rush. 

Edited by Mossyhorn

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

So...morning after. Should fans be excited about the heart shown by the team? Or, have a sense of dread because that game was a leading indicator that this program continues to wander the wilderness.

Or, is it best to just walk around for the next week like an institutionalized mental patient whose been over-medicated with Thorazine, until the next two games reveal the true status of this program?

I'm going with the latter. Take the win - hope (dangerous, I know) that it's just the limited offseason and installing a new system, and move on to next week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Every year, the best teams (Clemson, tOSU, Bama, etc) have inexplicable close games or losses.  Maybe we got our shit game out of the way early? 
I'm still a little concerned with our play calling/personnel decisions, but some of that may improve when Whittington and Jake Smith are getting passes instead of Schooler (a guy who’s been practicing for 2 weeks) and Money (a walk-on who was surely not getting reps until last couple weeks).  
I’m going with the COVID excuse of lack of practice time for the defensive/tackling issues.  

4 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Because college football is ALWAYS transitive isn’t it?!?!?!?!?

It can be and a lot of times it is and it should be when a team barely beat a shithole HB team. It's funny you didn't have a problem with comparing scores and teams when boom said aggy would get boatraced by tech because of their game with vandy. 

Keep your head in the sand about Herman and this team. A win is a win and i'll take it all day but Tech isn't good and we played on the road in front of like 8,000 fans spread out and in masks, missed 1,000 tackles, ST blow still and we continue to fuck up anytime we have any chance to pull away in year 4.. BUT BUT things will change! wait till next week. then next week then next week. same shit different year.

• Hook 'Em 1

No.
I would expect our leadership to have realized that, when a head coach has to replace both coordinators, then the head coach needs to go. 
In John Beileins fourth year at Michigan he replaced his entire coaching staff and the program was struggling. Following that the team went to two championship games and won numerous Big Ten titles. So, by your logic he should have been fired?

30 minutes ago, Istian said:

Tech wouldn't have played aggy the way they played Texas. That's just how it is when teams play vs Texas - they always give their best game of the season. 

Wut?

Tech beat aggy 10 out of 16 times in BXII play and it took aggy winning the last 3 to make it that close.  
Tech loved beating aggy and did it quite well.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Every year, the best teams (Clemson, tOSU, Bama, etc) have inexplicable close games or losses.  Maybe we got our shit game out of the way early? 
I'm still a little concerned with our play calling/personnel decisions, but some of that may improve when Whittington and Jake Smith are getting passes instead of Schooler (a guy who’s been practicing for 2 weeks) and Money (a walk-on who was surely not getting reps until last couple weeks).  
I’m going with the COVID excuse of lack of practice time for the defensive/tackling issues.  

Good point. Even the VY Team they played Michigan had a Wtf game vs Kansas. Needed a heroic 4th and 15 run to keep drive alive. I want to believe. 

2 plays - Overshown should have jumped on the backwards pass, Easy scoop/score and the blatant hold on The Tech short td run. I know the game is full of what ifs.