This was an amazing win

Michael Knight

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It can be and a lot of times it is and it should be when a team barely beat a shithole HB team. It's funny you didn't have a problem with comparing scores and teams when boom said aggy would get boatraced by tech because of their game with vandy. 

Keep your head in the sand about Herman and this team. A win is a win and i'll take it all day but Tech isn't good and we played on the road in front of like 8,000 fans spread out and in masks, missed 1,000 tackles, ST blow still and we continue to fuck up anytime we have any chance to pull away in year 4.. BUT BUT things will change! wait till next week. then next week then next week. same shit different year.

I'll be in this boat if the TCU game looks similar but for now I retain some hope.

16 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Tech always plays us big at their house. How many times have we lost in fuckin tortillaville when we were expected to win? Be glad we won, take the W and move on.

Happy to have a W, but teams always putting their best game for Texas us very different than Tech scoring the most points ever against Texas at their house. Especially without the Wizard...

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

A majority of our alumni and fanbase will be pleased with this "amazing" comeback win. Our university leadership has already tweeted their excitement about the win. 

This attitude is why we have one national title in the last half century. 

Nothing funnier than fat slobs on a message board over extending their importance like this.

"It's because we aren't angry enough that our football team loses." Yeah, ok. The universe isn't impressed by your ability to be a angsty asshole, let alone some 19 year old kids on the football field who don't even know your name.

Edited by BigXII
  • Hook 'Em 5

Announcers said Tech focused on this game for the off season.  If true, it could be why they were so woefully unprepared for HBU.    Herman/Yurich went away from what worked in game 1 and early in the game only to return to it later.    Texas won, that is what counts in close games.  It isn't a moral loss.  Years ago, Charlie's teams were losing close games.   Going forward, hopefully the team puts away their phones before gameday and does a better job being focused(Bill?).   Hopefully the coaches learn from this as well.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This could have been our “inexplicable close game vs inferior opponent”, only time will tell. Those games usually happen mid season, often at night, and coming between two emotional games/high level opponents. I would not consider UTEP or TCU in that category and this was game 2. Odds are more likely that this is a flawed team that will have more struggles in games to come. But today I’ll take the win pussy. 

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Announcers said Tech focused on this game for the off season.  If true, it could be why they were so woefully unprepared for HBU.    Herman/Yurich went away from what worked in game 1 and early in the game only to return to it later.    Texas won, that is what counts in close games.  It isn't a moral loss.  Years ago, Charlie's teams were losing close games.   Going forward, hopefully the team puts away their phones before gameday and does a better job being focused(Bill?).   Hopefully the coaches learn from this as well.   

Charlie's teams were butt raped. Close losses didn't come until the cake was in the oven.

35 minutes ago, Cluttered said:
2 hours ago, JFKFC said:
No.
I would expect our leadership to have realized that, when a head coach has to replace both coordinators, then the head coach needs to go. 

In John Beileins fourth year at Michigan he replaced his entire coaching staff and the program was struggling. Following that the team went to two championship games and won numerous Big Ten titles. So, by your logic he should have been fired?

Good sir, what sport does John Beileins coach? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Its like you idiots forget we were down 28-12 at the half vs Okie State in 2005, a 4 win team. If this shit was easy it wouldn't be worth it

4th and 15 against Kansas too. Even good teams play like shit. Hopefully they come out in the right mindset next week

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Typo

27 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Nothing funnier than fat slobs on a message board over extending their importance like this.

"It's because we aren't angry enough that our football team loses." Yeah, ok. The universe isn't impressed by your ability to be a angsty asshole, let alone some 19 year old kids on the football field who don't even know your name.

I hope your ad hominem attack makes you feel better.

We all have our own perspective, here is mine.

I only care about 2 college sports, football & men's basketball. In the last half century, most of the lifetimes of everyone on this board, that gives us 100 seasons combined of these 2 sports. 

We have one championship in those 100 seasons.

I'm not unrealistic. I don't expect a national title, or a conference title, every year. Not even every 5 years. However, with our resources and stature, 1 title in those 100 seasons in unacceptable.

I submit that this starts at the top. I don't care what the fans feel. Our university leadership consistently hires the wrong people to run the athletics department. Their expectations and commitment aren't properly aligned, and this leads to one disappointing coaching hire after another. 

I don't think we will see another transcendent player like VY. I hope you enjoyed 2005. Most likely, that is it for all of us. 

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Game turned on the botched Punt for a TD.   We’re up 10 getting the ball back. We did this last year too. We have to minimize-eliminate the self inflicted wounds.  Cover the punt, go up 17 and that game is much different. We did that vs Tulsa last year, KU, and another game.  We have to learn to put teams away. 

We had a couple of chances to go up 17 and declined every time.  It's a recurring theme with Herman.  We rarely win by more than 1 score and almost never by more than 2.  Especially in conference.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

A lot of really good teams, including our 2005 team, struggled at times against inferior opponents. In fact, pretty much every championship team has a game or two like this. And a win is a win is a win, especially on the road against an in-state 'rival.' Five years ago this team was mentally and emotionally incapable of battling back through adversity like this.

But if anyone came away from that performance without very real concerns about this team, then we must've been watching two different games. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The comeback was awesome. 

Tech has good players and probably aren't as bad as they seemed after their first game. 

None of this changes the fact that the Texas defense looked every bit as awful as they were last year, if not worse. Or that the special teams still suck ass. 

This is Tom Herman's 4th year. After yesterday, I don't see a lot of reason to believe that anything has really changed. 

Yes, they have had limited practice time to install new schemes. Maybe this is reason to believe that they'll improve. But Herman has given no reason to put any faith into that sentiment; its just wishcasting at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Last year’s defense was the worst in Texas history, and as Herman said himself, it appears that hasn’t changed.  Ignoring that isn’t positivity.  It’s just blind ignorance.  Can that change with more time in a season with the effects of Covid constantly hanging over it?  Of course. But not acknowledging the current state of the defense is an emotional response, not an analytical one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

That raucous 25% capacity Jones stadium crowd is intimidating no doubt. And good point on the COVID angle, no other team in the country has had to deal with it, only Texas.

I don’t have a problem calling the game what it was. A bad team played shitty against a good team that played extremely shitty. Texas came out on top in the end, which is what ultimately matters. Not super encouraging to see though. I truly thought Texas was going to cakewalk to an unbeaten season. I don’t know about that after today. 

well anyone thinking we were going to cakewalk to an undefeated season hasn't been watching our OL and D for the last 10 years.  I think we've had about 3 good defensive years in 10 and our OL has been a complete disaster the entire time. the Brocks are fuckheads but there is a reason they went to Alabama. the sacks with 3 man rushes were typical for us unfortunately.

the ST clusterfuck of epic proportions yesterday was a bit of an anomaly but they have been below average for years as well.

With this D there is no automatic win in conference on our schedule.  we can lose to anyone on any day and we have proven that like clockwork over 10 years.

that said, A win is a win, fuck Tech and get ready for Max Duggan Returns and Fat Pat's D.  hopefully we bring it on D.

3 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Last year’s defense was the worst in Texas history, and as Herman said himself, it appears that hasn’t changed.  Ignoring that isn’t positivity.  It’s just blind ignorance.  Can that change with more time in a season with the effects of Covid constantly hanging over it?  Of course. But not acknowledging the current state of the defense is an emotional response, not an analytical one.

The missed tackles were pretty glaring, but they were much more sound up front with a sane scheme. Tech is fast and shifty at the skill positions so much less room for error in space. Clearly lots to work on, and I dont know how much improvement we can reasonably expect with no spring and limited fall camps to really Implement technique.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I covered that game. I think it was actually 35-7 at one point and the final might’ve been 59-35. I’m off to check online!

35-7 in 2nd quarter. VY hit Thomas for a TD right before half to make it 35-14. The Ramonce reverse TD was greatness. Texas went video game mode in 2nd half. One of my fav all-time games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Yes, it was 35-7 and the final was 56-35 so the Horns scored 49 unanswered points in 30:03 of game time.

And the year was 2004.  Awesome game and not quite comparable to this one.

Still, the team showed some heart in coming back yesterday, so good win. The egregious mistakes make it a little harder to enjoy than it should be. I'm so use to ending up on the wrong side of these over the last 10 years that it is really difficult to stay positive during the game. I didn't have that problem in 2004 (despite our struggles against ou). As I recall, the stadium stayed pretty full at halftime despite the score. I think everyone just sensed a come back was going to happen. 

Edited by Dahobbs

21 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Or that the special teams still suck ass. 

They flawlessly executed an onside kick, made the field goal attempt, and blocked a punt for a TD.  There are clearly some issues, but a Charlie Strong special teams wouldn't have been able to do those things.

Edited by fellside

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Its like you idiots forget we were down 28-12 at the half vs Okie State in 2005, a 4 win team. If this shit was easy it wouldn't be worth it

Obviously from the Tom Herman school of “winning is really, really difficult”..........Fuck that losing mentality.  I wonder why I don’t hear that shit from Saban, Meyer, the Ragin’ Cajun or any successful coach.  Maybe it’s just hard for Tom to win at this level.  Great message for your players there, Tom.....this is going to be really, really hard, but maybe.....

Fuck you loser....

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Obviously from the Tom Herman school of “winning is really, really difficult”..........Fuck that losing mentality.  I wonder why I don’t hear that shit from Saban, Meyer, the Ragin’ Cajun or any successful coach.  Maybe it’s just hard for Tom to win at this level.  Great message for your players there, Tom.....this is going to be really, really hard, but maybe.....

Fuck you loser....

too much Mack in him.

We had a couple of chances to go up 17 and declined every time.  It's a recurring theme with Herman.  We rarely win by more than 1 score and almost never by more than 2.  Especially in conference.
The same shit last year with Herman against Tech. Once we erased the early deficit and took control of the game, Turtle Tom arrived and we did everything we could to give Tech the chance to stay in the game. He absolutely has no idea to suffocate a team and put them away. With him, you'd rather him be trailing or up a few points.

13 minutes ago, fellside said:

They flawlessly executed an onside kick, made the field goal attempt, and blocked a punt for a TD.  There are clearly some issues, but a Charlie Strong special teams wouldn't have been able to do those things.

That's fair. 

But the muff was inexcusable; the returner has to know to never try to field a punt while moving backward toward your own goal line. And the punt block came after nearly having the previous one blocked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, WBT said:

This. We were up 17-7 and got the ball back and should have put them away. We went 3 and out without gaining a single yard. There’s never a killer instinct with Herman teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

LoL that was 2004, Rex.

Being wrong is his raison d'etre.  He's so convinced of his intelligence he can't check himself.

And this game is nothing like those.  We turned it on in the second half both times,  never letting up.  We couldn't stop stepping on our dick yesterday.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Fuck you that's why
  • Hook 'Em 3