This was an amazing win

Michael Knight

56 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Has any Texas team ever scored 22 unanswered points in less than 4 minutes and won?

Maybe the "Let's Dance With Lance" game against Xavier? I forget what the margin was, or how far back we had to come. But it says something that it was a basketball game, not football.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

That raucous 25% capacity Jones stadium crowd is intimidating no doubt. And good point on the COVID angle, no other team in the country has had to deal with it, only Texas.

I don’t have a problem calling the game what it was. A bad team played shitty against a good team that played extremely shitty. Texas came out on top in the end, which is what ultimately matters. Not super encouraging to see though. I truly thought Texas was going to cakewalk to an unbeaten season. I don’t know about that after today. 

You unwittingly self-diagnosed your problem.  Cakewalks to unbeaten seasons do not exist...ever...for anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I covered that game. I think it was actually 35-7 at one point and the final might’ve been 59-35. I’m off to check online!

Yep.  I was at that game (Fall 2004).  Had season tickets in north end zone with a end seat literally across the stairs from the opposing fans section giving a unique perspective on the see-saw of emotions in that game.  UT did it again in the championship year the following year in Stillwater trailing 28-12 which included Vince juking a defender into the air with a fake pass before running for something like a 60-yard TD.

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And the year was 2004.  Awesome game and not quite comparable to this one.

Still, the team showed some heart in coming back yesterday, so good win. The egregious mistakes make it a little harder to enjoy than it should be. I'm so use to ending up on the wrong side of these over the last 10 years that it is really difficult to stay positive during the game. I didn't have that problem in 2004 (despite our struggles against ou). As I recall, the stadium stayed pretty full at halftime despite the score. I think everyone just sensed a come back was going to happen. 

That game was basically the turning point for me. Shutout by OU several weeks before and trailing OkState 35-7. I was kind of laughing to myself in the DKR pressbox thinking this would finally be it for old Mack Brown and his Texas tenure. Personally, I'd thrown in the towel at that point -- if not a month earlier standing outside the Cotton Bowl drinking Shiner from a wax cup during a late afternoon thunderstorm. Damned if they didn't nearly light everybody's ass on fire for the next couple of seasons!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I’ll take this win and like it.

i'm done with that.  1982 to 2004 was 22 years.

we are halfway from 2009 to 2031 and some of us won't be here after another 22 years of fail and tom herman is going to fuck us again.

he is not the guy.  there is no excuse for yesterday.

i feel bad and i'm a bad person for sharing my opinions after saying i was going to stay silent.

i'm done with this bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Rumor on 247 that Yurichich didn't make the trip - in quarantine with Card.

Tom was calling plays, which is kinda believable given some of the shitty play calling, but we also didn't run Sam off tackle on 4th and short either, so don't know what to think.

Wait, what? If this were true wouldn't it be all over the news? Did anyone see him in the post game presser?

15 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Tom was calling plays, which is kinda believable given some of the shitty play calling, but we also didn't run Sam off tackle on 4th and short either, so don't know what to think.

the first 3 drives were pretty good.  wonder if yurcich scripts plays. 

4 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Yep.  I was at that game (Fall 2004).  Had season tickets in north end zone with a end seat literally across the stairs from the opposing fans section giving a unique perspective on the see-saw of emotions in that game.  UT did it again in the championship year the following year in Stillwater trailing 28-12 which included Vince juking a defender into the air with a fake pass before running for something like a 60-yard TD.

Vince Young and the Longhorns outscored Oklahoma State 118-0 in the second half of the games played between 2003 and 2005. I wonder if that's ever been done by anybody else in CFB history. (I covered the 2003 game in Stillwater too.)

2 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

I agree on the early comment, re: Herman’s 4th year. This was supposed to be an easy win. Look at our next 5 games. Not an easy win amongst them. I would feel much better had we not had three horrific ST plays, and the D still cannot generate a consistent pass rush. 

in fairness, the front 4 went beastmode in the OT.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Tech always plays us big at their house. How many times have we lost in fuckin tortillaville when we were expected to win? Be glad we won, take the W and move on.

tech were voted in to the southwest conference in 1956, they joined in 1958, and we've played them every year since 1960;  texas losses in lubbock:

royal 3

akers 2

mcwilliams 1

mackovic 2

brown 3

strong 0

herman 0 (BARELY)

that's 19-11 in lubbock over the past 60 years we've been in the same league

in that same time we are 24-6 in austin; texas losses in austin:

royal 1

akers 0

mcwilliams 1

mackovic 2

strong 1

herman 1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Surly gonna surly. I don’t understand the arguing. Everyone should be happy that we got lucky and won a game we should have lost. And everyone should be concerned that this could be a sign of problems with our program and not just a typical struggling win, which every team experiences. Why can’t there be agreement?

It's possible that after we obliterated a shitty UTEP JV team, and Tech struggled with HBU, that the team took the game for granted. We went up early on and lost focus. Agreed that is on coaching, but at least we won and all of our goals are still intact. This is what infuriates me about ou every year -- they get out of these types of games with a W while we stumble, and then we're looking up at them in the standings for the rest of the year. Well this time it's reversed, and if our coaches can get the team bought in again then I think we'll have a hell of a year. 

Surly gonna surly. I don’t understand the arguing. Everyone should be happy that we got lucky and won a game we should have lost. And everyone should be concerned that this could be a sign of problems with our program and not just a typical struggling win, which every team experiences. Why can’t there be agreement?

There seems to be two sides to this camp. I’m in both. It was a great win in that it should have been a loss and wasn’t. To comeback like that, regardless of opponent, says something about this team.

But. It’s another Texas team that lacks discipline, can’t tackle and is constantly out of position on defense, gets completely outclassed by the opposing staff when it comes to halftime adjustments, and has an offense that turtles for large stretches of a game.

In other words, same as it ever was. Herman ain’t the dude.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

And we shut them out the 2nd half, scored 35 unanswered points, and won 47-28. 

great analogy. 

Well we were also up 10 at halftime yesterday instead of down 16. They required unanswered points and a comeback at different times during the game. Both resulted in wins. 

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

i shall respect your authoritai

Slightly off topic.

Has our punt return team done anything positive in the past couple of years?  I don't recall any great returns.  I do recall muffing a punt yesterday, muffing a punt by Jake Smith last year, and fair-catching about 40 punts last year inside our 5 yard-line.  F's sake, just let the damn thing roll at this point.

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Slightly off topic.

Has our punt return team done anything positive in the past couple of years?  I don't recall any great returns.  I do recall muffing a punt yesterday, muffing a punt by Jake Smith last year, and fair-catching about 40 punts last year inside our 5 yard-line.  F's sake, just let the damn thing roll at this point.

We ran a punt back for a touchdown three games ago, and we had a punt return for a TD that basically won us the game at KSU two years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

We haven’t lost there since Crabtree. We’ve lost there just twice this millennium.

That's not totally mutually exclusive to his point, although he could have worded it better.

Sure, we've lost there just twice since 2000, but both those losses denied chances at a national title for Texas. They are 2 of the most impactful 10 (regular season*) losses for this program since 2000. Maybe THE 2 worst if you don't include OU games. 2008 is certainly #1 and it isn't close.

In 2006 they played a #5 ranked Texas team to within 4 points. In 2016 we needed an interception on the last drive to seal the game up 8 points. In 2018 we needed a phenomenal TD on our last drive to take the lead and win by one score.

Fucky shit happens in Lubbock. Even if 2008 was our only loss there in the last 20 years that would still be true.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexMexBuddha said:

That was kinda obvious if so, looked like shit Tom offense most of the second half.  Run, run, pass or throw it one yard, run, pass, makes sense now

4 hours ago, Istian said:

Tech wouldn't have played aggy the way they played Texas. That's just how it is when teams play vs Texas - they always give their best game of the season. 

Tech will be playing aggy later this season by proxy. Leach is going to fuck them up, and unless the Horns are playing at the same time I'm not missing a second of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

whine whine whine

ol' ugly is better than ol' nuthin

you guys complain too much.

and fuck fox fuckem in their goat ass!

bastards cut off the game to show some bullshit crap ass baseball horseshit and then on the replay on fs1 they cut off the game again at a different point to go to some goddamn bullshit redbull skateboard horseshit fuckwad crap. so I havent seen any of the last of the fucking fourth quarter godamnit. fuck you fux fuuuuuck you.

• Hook 'Em 1

This game was watching two old people fuck.  Just as one would seem to be putting things away, the other would get a little bit of energy and briefly match them play-for-play, and yet neither one of them could quite finish things until they realized it was almost time for the nurse to start making the rounds and doing bed checks.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This game was watching two old people fuck.  Just as one would seem to be putting things away, the other would get a little bit of energy and briefly match them play-for-play, and yet neither one of them could quite finish things until they realized it was almost time for the nurse to start making the rounds and doing bed checks.

Way too much knowledge of olds fucking

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, at least one is going to cum, so there’s that.

• Haha 1