How is Tombstone Better?

Rabidhorn

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:
22 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:
This is like discussing movies with my brother's kids or something.

You nerve-wrackin' sons a'bitches!

What an ugly thing to say.

Maybe poker just isn't your game. I've got an idea let's have a spelling contest.

Edited by usmc0331horn

On 9/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, Rabidhorn said:

So I watched both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp last night and ask myself after why is Tombstone that much better a movie? Wyatt Earp was directed, produced, and co-written by Lawrence Kasdan who is fantastic while Tombstone had director problems. Tombstone was a tight 139 minutes and sailed by while Earp dragged like most Costner movies of that time for over 3 hours. Whoever picked the cast for Earp should have been flogged, they miscast almost everyone in the movie except for Michael Madsen as Virgil and Tom Sizemore as Bat, on the other hand almost everyone in Tombstone was perfectly cast with of course Val Kilmer being the best. The only thing better about Wyatt was the music by James Newton Howard, his music was grand and bold. There were a few scenes in Earp I love, Wyatt and Josie were sleeping in bed, there is a slow move by her to him leading to sex, it is a great thoughtful scene. The other I like is Wyatt goes into the dark saloon, gets coffee and a cigar and sits down, a very quiet scene where you can see he is worried, the smoke of the cigar and the steam of the coffee make the scene.

So my question to you is, why in your opinion is Tombstone a better movie and how did Costner and crew fuck theirs up.

Come on boys we don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.

• Like 1

John Wayne (Marion Morrison at the time) became friends with Wyatt Earp on the John Ford movie sets.  Wayne claims that everything he did was modeled after the Earp...the walk, the talk, etc.  I never thought about the overlap with the Wild West and Hollywood.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

John Wayne (Marion Morrison at the time) became friends with Wyatt Earp on the John Ford movie sets.  Wayne claims that everything he did was modeled after the Earp...the walk, the talk, etc.  I never thought about the overlap with the Wild West and Hollywood.

Earp was tight with Tom Mix.  Mix was a pallbearer at Earp's funeral.

• 2 years later...

Saw Wyatt Earp in the theater. The best part was when Earps father played by Gene Hackman came to bail Wyatt out of jail. It was a dramatic part where Hackman was shaming Wyatt when all of a sudden a dude in the back of the theater ripped the loudest fart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’d say humor. Kilmer has uncountable one liners. Kurt Russell delivers really funny lines in full Wyatt Earp voice. He’s going for it and it weirdly works. Russell is going for the Oscar and just unintentionally kills comedically. Sam Elliott does Sam Elliott like things. All of The Cowboys are colorful and funny.

Meanwhile, one note Costner is doing his Wyatt Earp impersonation. Ask him to be funny in Tin Cup, and Costner will be hilarious. Ask him to be serious/tough and get deep mumbler John Dutton. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Is it just me or is Tombstone a fun, nostalgic movie, but one you kinda outgrow after you turn 30. I get it, I did it too, drinking coors light and watching it and quoting it with your friends in high school and college, but at some point having a Tombstone quote-off is cringe. 
Maybe this post should be in unpopular opinion thread.

53 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Is it just me or is Tombstone a fun, nostalgic movie, but one you kinda outgrow after you turn 30. I get it, I did it too, drinking coors light and watching it and quoting it with your friends in high school and college, but at some point having a Tombstone quote-off is cringe. 

I don't think I'll let you arrest us today, HamsterHookah

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Get Out Goodbye GIF by A$AP Rocky

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/27/2020 at 1:01 PM, CooterBrown said:

Neither is a good movie. Tombstone however is a decent waste of time.

This is the correct answer. There has never been a really satisfying Earp/OK Corral related movie. The closest was Hour Of The Gun. Second closest was Star Trek original series Spectre Of The Gun, which would be the best in a landslide, but technically it's not really about the same characters...and it wasn't a movie.

I mean...ain't nobody can top this classic scene.

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

If you weren’t my friend, I don’t think I could bear it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

This man needs to be hung from the nearest tree for this blasphemy

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

You're no daisy. You're no daisy at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Costner took himself and the story too seriously, which made it pretentious.

I will say, Dennis Quaid did a fine portrayal of Doc Holliday, and given that I've devoured just about everything you can find in print about Doc Holliday, I'd say Quaid's portrayal was much more true what Doc was really like--angry, drunken, deadly with a six shooter, and fully resentful of his life being robbed from him an inch at a time over the years.  f

Val Kilmer was way more entertaining as Doc, though.  Obviously.

Johnny Ringo and his brooding, the mystery behind his self loathing and anger at the world... Biehn knocked it out of the park.  

Billy Bob Thornton provided some fantastic comic relief and an opportunity for Wyatt to demonstrate what a bad ass he was.

Powers Booth made Curly Bill an interesting character.

I could go on, but you get the point.  It's a superior film because it's full of really good actors delivering some great portrayals, and as such it's a lot of fun from the opening scene till the end of the movie.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

Tombstone is very romantic and overdone like a lot of the best action moves are. It may fall flat in terms of being a great, dramatic Western but I'm not sure that's what it should be held up against. It's more like Star Wars or Raiders than Unforgiven - and there's nothing wrong with that. It's more Aliens than Alien. Different strokes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tombstone is very romantic and overdone like a lot of the best action moves are. It may fall flat in terms of being a great, dramatic Western but I'm not sure that's what it should be held up against. It's more like Star Wars or Raiders than Unforgiven - and there's nothing wrong with that. It's more Aliens than Alien. Different strokes. 

Aliens is legit, smart action. A near perfect movie that has a lot more substance than even Alien.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:01 PM, CooterBrown said:

Neither is a good movie. Tombstone however is a decent waste of time.

On 5/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, HamsterHookah said:

2c7009ba-4bae-4382-ae64-b542e6445074_tex

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1