Texas opens as a 16 point favorite v TCU

TexasMan

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

As long as we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot, we should win. TCU isn’t good, but they’ll play their best game of the year against us.

We almost always shoot ourselves in the foot/ hooves.

Blasting ourselves in the crotch w/ OO buckshot is the issue, particularly with this season and it’s opportunity.

We are equally capable of success and disaster.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

C'mon man.

Dude, he's a total fucking headcase. I don't give a shit if he pays for Texas or anyone else. He's shown he's got serious issues. Punching coaches? Seriously? 

If he played for ou we would be railing this kid and calling him a piece of shit. It's no different just because he wears burnt orange and white. He's trouble. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Wait a minute, how in the fuck is Okafor still starting? 

There’s been some comments about Hookfin still not being healthy. Not sure if that’s accurate, but if he is healthy, I’d hope to see him get some PT soon and see if he’s better in games than one of Okafor/Jones. 

Obstacles to beating TCU: Missed tackles. 

Herman assured us in his presser that his coaches are telling our guys to wrap up when they tackle. Nice to know. Coaches coach, players aren’t listening. Thanks, Tom.

Tackling is fixed. Next question... 

Edited by Mossyhorn

1 hour ago, Mossyhorn said:

Herman assured us in his presser that his coaches are telling our guys to wrap up when they tackle. Nice to know. Coaches coach, players aren’t listening. Thanks, Tom.

I was yelling the same thing at my TV.  Maybe I should be a coach

On 9/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, Burt Macklin said:

They were bad with Downing in, but once they put Dugan in, they scored almost very possession and he had a great game. I don’t expect us to win this one unless we can put up 50+. If I’m TCU, I’d just RPO us to death until our LBs show they can hold up (they won’t).

We need to start Jacquess. I know he’s limited athletically and not great in coverage, but at least he gives you something. Juwan Mitchell was fucking awful and didn’t even give good effort. Fuck that guy. He’s punched a coach, got suspended multiple times, threatened to quit/transfer multiple times, and he’s not even good. Not worth the drama at all. 

Huh? 

1st possession with Duggan-Punt

2nd possession with Duggan-Punt

3rd possession with Duggan-TD but TCU started with great field position at Iowa State's 37. 

4th possession with Duggan-Punt

5th possession with Duggan-TD

6th possession with Duggan-Interception

7th possession with Duggan-TD because Iowa State was in prevent defense up 2 scores. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Huh? 

1st possession with Duggan-Punt

2nd possession with Duggan-Punt

3rd possession with Duggan-TD but TCU started with great field position at Iowa State's 37. 

4th possession with Duggan-Punt

5th possession with Duggan-TD

6th possession with Duggan-Interception

7th possession with Duggan-TD because Iowa State was in prevent defense up 2 scores. 

Duggan was rusty on his first few drives, but then he settled in and they moved the ball well from there on out. They scored TDs on 3 of their last 5 possessions, and IIRC the punt on the 4th possession you listed was due to a big loss on a bad snap or some weird play like that. The INT was a perfect pass to an open receiver who managed to bobble the ball up into the air, so not Duggan’s fault. If you actually watched the game, he looked really good and had a final line of 16-19 241 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT and he had a couple good runs too. He is absolutely going to move the ball on us and put up points. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Duggan was rusty on his first few drives, but then he settled in and they moved the ball well from there on out. They scored TDs on 3 of their last 5 possessions, and IIRC the punt on the 4th possession you listed was due to a big loss on a bad snap or some weird play like that. The INT was a perfect pass to an open receiver who managed to bobble the ball up into the air, so not Duggan’s fault. If you actually watched the game, he looked really good and had a final line of 16-19 241 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT and he had a couple good runs too. He is absolutely going to move the ball on us and put up points. 

Duggan is definitely better than Downing but he wasn't scoring on "almost every possession." Far from it. 

Duggan scored on 2 out of 6 legitimate possessions because the 7th possession Iowa State was willing to let TCU burn clock with short gains. Which they did. If you take away the final possession scoring on 2 out of 6 possessions is far from impressive when one of those scores was because of great field position.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Duggan puts up some yards against Texas but you're acting like he was unstoppable against Iowa State. He wasn't.  

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Duggan is definitely better than Downing but he wasn't scoring on "almost every possession." Far from it. 

Duggan scored on 2 out of 6 legitimate possessions because the 7th possession Iowa State was willing to let TCU burn clock with short gains. Which they did. If you take away the final possession scoring 2 out of 6 possession one of which started at Iowa State's 37 is far from impressive. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Duggan puts up some yards against Texas but you're acting like he was unstoppable against Iowa State. He wasn't. 

Did you watch the game? Like I said, he was rusty early, but after the first three possessions, they were moving the ball very well. The Int was a fluke play, not his fault. Without his receiver inexplicably just batting the ball in the air for no reason, he scores TDs on 3 of his last 4 drives. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did you watch the game? Like I said, he was rusty early, but after the first three possessions, they were moving the ball very well. The Int was a fluke play, not his fault. Without his receiver inexplicably just batting the ball in the air for no reason, he scores TDs on 3 of his last 4 drives. 

Yeah, but that's the problem. His wide receivers are just ok and his offensive line isn't very good. The same stuff happened with Downing. 

If you take away the 7 points on the Purdy interception and 7 more points on the bad punt/good punt return they scored 20 points in this game. Those 20 points are also including the garbage time touchdown. 

Until I see otherwise I expect teams to torch our defense but nothing from the Iowa State game shows that TCU is some type of offensive powerhouse. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but that's the problem. His wide receivers are just ok and his offensive line isn't very good. The same stuff happened with Downing. 

If you take away the 7 points on the Purdy interception and 7 more points on the bad punt/good punt return they scored 20 points in this game. Those 20 points are also including the garbage time touchdown. 

Until I see otherwise I expect teams to torch our defense but nothing from the Iowa State game shows that TCU is some type of offensive powerhouse. 

And if you only look at the relevant half of the game, I.e. when Duggan came in after very little practice this offseason, the offense scored 3 TDs and put up 262 yards in one half. Their offense looked good with Duggan in at QB. 

Their receivers aren’t great, but that INT was a total fluke and you can’t expect something like like that to happen when we play them. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

And if you only look at the relevant half of the game, I.e. when Duggan came in after very little practice this offseason, the offense scored 3 TDs and put up 262 yards in one half. Their offense looked good with Duggan in at QB. 

Their receivers aren’t great, but that INT was a total fluke and you can’t expect something like like that to happen when we play them. 

92 of those yards happened on the final possession when Iowa State was up 37-28 with 2:54 to play. They were willing to let Duggan complete a bunch of short passes if it burned clock and that's exactly what TCU did. 

9 of his 16 completions happened on that drive. 

Duggan's stats were very pedestrian and would have been very similar to Downing's numbers if not for the garbage touchdown on the final possesion. 

After watching the Overdrive version of the Tech game, I actually feel a little better about the Texas defense.  Saw a ton of mental mistakes, and poor tackling no doubt.  But if you examine  the Horns defense a little more closely, I often noticed players playing with hesitancy.  With this new defense, these guys need a ton more reps.  No doubt the LBs especially  need a ton of work.

Somehow the DL has to get more pressure -- and then this defense will be a lot better.  I expect this defense will show improvement as the season goes along.  Hopefully Texas can somehow do enough to beat both tcu and blOU over the next two weeks -- then continue to stay focused on getting better during the bye week.

They gotta keep working and improving to make it to the B12 Championship Game...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/28/2020 at 5:42 PM, Atticus said:

As long as we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot, we should win. TCU isn’t good, but they’ll play their best game of the year against us.

Doesn't everybody? No way of knowing if we weren't mentally "up" for Tech or not. But the truth is our defense isn't good at stopping teams unless they play old school football. Utah and Georgia are good examples of that. Teams that play pass first, second and third kill us. I see it happening again vs TCU. The line is irrelevant to me, as I'm not betting. So any win is acceptable. But we can lose to anybody. Losing to TCU will suck, but I won't be surprised.That's just become the reality of Texas football the past 10 years. We're an average football team that can look really good at times, and also really bad. I'm not even surprised anymore when a receiver is wide open for a TD, or we miss 4 tackles on the same play. Or we fair catch a punt on the 5 yard line. It's who we are now.

12 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

I watched the game with my mentally impaired daughter.  Her first comment during the game was "they still can't tackle can they"

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

That's some fine coach work there, Lou. 

On 9/27/2020 at 10:04 PM, LTtxfan said:

Something tells me TCU will be working hard this week on their rushing attack in preparation for the HORNS...

Will Zach Evans get his first CFB carry vs TEXAS ??

Thanks to @Ricky's one-hitter  for the following...

0bb47924b3aad0d1ae1af7db6ef6ed7a.jpg

Yep, Evans is gonna play vs TEXAS...

(Thanks for finding this tweet @ChampionshipLevelPiss )

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Anyone with a brain has to be hammering TCU to cover. If I was a neutral bettor, I’d be looking really hard at that TCU money line +400. 

+10 sounds about right. It won't move past that short of some bad lineup news for Texas. I wouldn't touch the TCU ML. Betting that the better team won't show up is risky even in cfb. 

We are at home.