Criminal Charges Filed Against McCabe

Lagunamadre

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not on Sessions now, I don't think. The US Attorney, Jessie Liu.

I would assume Sessions, or any number of other senior Justice officials could exert considerable pressure on Ms. Liu.

I consider McCabe to be something of a casualty of the FBI's obsession with "candor" and polygraphs that seems to be something of a hangover from the Hoover paranoia days.  My initial thought is that criminal charges are really piling on, even if he violated 18 USC 1001. It does kind of put a perspective on the Van Der Zwaan and Papawhatsit charges, though.

And, of course, this is a by-product of the nausea-inducing congressional "investigations," which I deplore.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

How so?  (Not trolling, genuinely trying to understand).

Wapo piece touches on it:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/inspector-general-referred-findings-on-mccabe-to-us-attorney-for-consideration-of-criminal-charges/2018/04/19/

Of particular concern was that McCabe effectively authorized the FBI to confirm an ongoing investigation into the Clinton Foundation, by revealing a phone call in which he pushed back against a Justice Department official who warned that the bureau should not be taking overt steps in the case close to an election. McCabe asked the official: “Are you telling me that I need to shut down a validly predicated investigation?”

The inspector general wrote Comey inquired with his deputy about the disclosure, and McCabe led him to believe he did not know who was responsible. McCabe’s team, though, disputes that, and says emails between the two “clearly show that Mr. McCabe specifically advised Director Comey that he was working with colleagues at the FBI to correct inaccuracies in the story before it was published, and that they remained in contact through the weekend while the work was taking place.”

Inspector general investigators came to believe Comey, and they alleged McCabe lied on three other occasions to them and the FBI’s inspection division. Comey said in an appearance on “The View” this week: “I still believe Andrew McCabe is a good person, but the inspector general found that he lied, and there’s severe consequences in the Justice Department for lying — as there should be throughout the government.”

I am but a simple man . . . but . . . does anyone else's head spin with all of the moving parts of these stories?  Yeesh.  It's no wonder an investigation can produce thousands of pages of documents.

Edited by jimmyjazz
Because I can't spell "produce"
  • Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Misleading thread is extremely misleading 

He done goofed the referral vs. charge part, but a referral from teh nonpartisan OIG is kind of a big deal. And Comey is out there basically calling for his prosecution.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I am but a simple man . . . but . . . does anyone else's head spin with all of the moving parts of these stories?  Yeesh.  It's no wonder an investigation can produce thousands of pages of documents.

Seriously.

It seems the executive branch is doing a pretty good job diverting attention away from themselves and pushing the dirty FBI narrative.

Between this and the threats of impeachment by Nunes and company it's hard to keep everything straight.

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

It seems the executive branch is doing a pretty good job diverting attention away from themselves and pushing the dirty FBI narrative.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Alert me when he’s indicted.  Until then, this is just noise.

OIG is independent and nonpartisan. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So tell me, who was the last person the OIG recommended criminal charges for and what happened with them?

Frankly, if McCabe broke the law, charge him but everything surrounding McCabe stinks to high heaven for obvious reasons.

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The OIG is actually not independent. The president can remove an OIG without good cause (Reagan fired all of them when he first took office), and the AG has the power to interfere in individual investigations.  There is plenty of pressure an administration can place on an OIG. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A criminal referral like this is an angry letter to the editor. 

It is nothing more than a PR move.

It carries no weight and does nothing more than notify an investigating party that politicians would like an enemy investigated.

Time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The OIG is actually not independent. The president can remove an OIG without good cause (Reagan fired all of them when he first took office), and the AG has the power to interfere in individual investigations.  There is plenty of pressure an administration can place on an OIG. 

True, but the current IG has been in office for over 10 years IIRC.  Hardly a partisan hack.

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

OK, fair enough.  Are you suggesting that the referral was the result of political pressure? 

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

OK, fair enough.  Are you suggesting that the referral was the result of political pressure? 

It probably was. 

You can tell by the way certain segments of the media are making a huge deal out of this (HANNITY).

I'm sure he needs some new material to distract from something...can't put my finger on it. 

It's curious that the Inspector General report is coming out in stages and not all at once. The stages that have come out so far have all been pro-Trump. There has been nothing released about the FBI field office in NY and  their activities and leaks to the media.

My understanding is that the IG report usually comes out all at once. If it's not politically influenced, it's definitely been a curious pattern. 

Lawfareblog has a good post on the subject. https://www.lawfareblog.com/low-tragedy-andrew-mccabe

All that said, I can’t escape this thought:  Was McCabe’s failing really any different from Michael Flynn’s?  Flynn has been accused in the press of many things. But the crime he actually pled to looks a lot like McCabe’s—a lie to avoid taking political blame for a conversation. In Flynn’s case, this took the form of a conversation with the Russian ambassador that touched on sanctions, perhaps only lightly. Flynn denied discussing them at all. Some of the agents interviewing him apparently thought he might genuinely not remember the conversation clearly. The agents of course did remember, since they almost certainly had a transcript. Their interview with Flynn feels unfair—a trap for the unwary. Ironically, McCabe apparently played a big role in setting the trap, calling to put the meeting on Flynn’s schedule without alerting him to its purpose, and I doubt he wasted much time agonizing over the possibility that Flynn might be prosecuted as a felon for committing what in other circumstances would be a venial bureaucratic sin. 

Like all good tragedies, then, McCabe’s is seasoned with irony, though it’s hard to believe that either McCabe or Flynn will savor it.

9 minutes ago, Pods said:

It's curious that the Inspector General report is coming out in stages and not all at once. The stages that have come out so far have all been pro-Trump. There has been nothing released about the FBI field office in NY and  their activities and leaks to the media.

My understanding is that the IG report usually comes out all at once. If it's not politically influenced, it's definitely been a curious pattern. 

It could be timed to get out ahead of and deflect from some other BAD news that’s about to drop.  It is Thursday.

30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I have no idea.  It could be.  Maybe not.  Re: Flynn, comparing the max charge McCabe is facing to essentially the minimum charge that Flynn pled down to as a cooperating witness seems like a terrible comparison to me.  Flynn pled down because he was facing much worse as his max. 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

I have no idea.  It could be.  Maybe not.  Re: Flynn, comparing the max charge McCabe is facing to essentially the minimum charge that Flynn pled down to as a cooperating witness seems like a terrible comparison to me.  Flynn pled down because he was facing much worse as his max. 

I don't disagree with this.  But also, maybe Flynn wouldn't have pled if he had a 500k gofundme mob. 

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

haha the libs started a GoFundMe to fill out this fucking guy's retirement

libs are idiots

A bunch of people who generally despise the rich giving half a million dollars for "legal defense" to a multimillionaire who repeatedly lied to the FBI is one of my favorite things to happen thus far this year, and now that they must, in the back of their minds, realized they goofed, they are clearly going to just dig in instead of admitting their mistake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A bunch of people who generally despise the rich giving half a million dollars for "legal defense" to a multimillionaire who repeatedly lied to the FBI is one of my favorite things to happen thus far this year, and now that they must, in the back of their minds, realized they goofed, they are clearly going to just dig in instead of admitting their mistake.

Kind of like electing Donald Trump.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I honestly checked out on all of this shit a year ago.  Can someone explain who is in trouble here?  Is Trump going down?  Is it bullshit?  Are some lefties going down?  It seems all very convoluted to me.

McCabe is in trouble.  He was involved in the Hillary investigation and Trump thinks he was biased in her favor because McCabe's wife was a Dem candidate in VA and got campaign money from Terry McAullife.   There seems to be some merit in the allegations against him, for which Sessions fired him a day before he could get retirement benefits, but it seems to turn on his credibility versus that of the guy Trump is simultaneously calling Lying James Comey.   This is 100% happening to McCabe for political reasons, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it either.  I don't know enough to give an opinion on that, but the political stink alone is going to taint perception of this either way.