Dallas Stars: If I may be positive for a minute

Longboard Horn

Look, I thought we would win the Stanley Cup as well. Missed opportunities, turnovers, opposing team power play goals and, in some cases, bad officiating hurt us. Did we make mistakes? Yes. Could a few things have gone differently? Of course. The Tampa Bay Lightning are a great team and have been one of the best in the league for the last few years. This team fought its ass off in these playoffs and never quit. They had a magical run. Knocking off the Flames, Avalanche and Golden Knights when no one else gave them a chance was absolutely amazing. They won the Western Conference and made a finals appearance for the first time in 20 years. There will be brighter days for this team, nothing is fucked. Lots of positives to build off for the off-season. Rick Bowness and the coaching have a lot to work on.

Starting the season 1-7, nobody expected the stars to even make the playoffs. From there, it was a shock the nation tour. 
They hosted and made an epic comeback against the Predators in the Winter Classic and surprised a few teams and “experts” in the playoffs. Anton Khoudobin, who wasn’t expected to play much, stepped up when Ben Bishop got hurt and did a great job for a back up goalie. 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could’ve done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short and short again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows  great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Thank you Stars! Here’s to a successful 2021. We’ll be back.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don't think this really needed it's own thread but I'll bite.

49 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Starting the season 1-7

Holy shit that feels like a lifetime ago. If you told me that was two seasons ago I would have believed you. Not only has this team come such a long way from then, I've gone through drastic changes in my own life in that time. I would expound here but there is plenty in another thread. 

This was the first season that I followed the Stars from start to finish. I didn't get into hockey until I had been living in Dallas for a few years and didn't start regularly watching games until a couple of years ago. Hockey just isn't a thing when you're growing up in Austin. I watched most of our games in the playoffs last year, but didn't really follow what we did to get there.

From starting 1-7, to that huge run we went on after that to dig ourselves out, to being a top 2 team in the West (we may have been the 1 seed at one point) to going on that horrible slide and almost missing the playoffs, to being seconds away from down 3-1 against Calgary, to the insane OT finishes in the Avs series, smacking the Knights, taking the Lightning to six... 

anchorman GIF

I mean, sit back and think for a second: if this Corona shit doesn't suspend the season halfway through there is a chance that we miss the fucking playoffs entirely. Not some weird, fucky, statistical outside chance, a GOOD chance had we kept up that form. 

And had a few things broken differently in this last series, or a few of our guys been able to play that didn't, we could have won the whole God damn thing.

So... shit. It's rare for me to have a team where I have undying allegiance. I'm a Texans fan but wasn't really from the start and have never lived in Houston and have hopped on the Cowboys bandwagon from time to time. I'm a huge Spurs fan but KD made that weird for a stretch there. I'm a diehard Longhorns football fan but I have my own Alma mater outside of that.

It's basically just the Stars and Rangers where I say fuck every other team if it isn't them it's nobody. I now feel bonded to this team through loss just like the WS losses in 2010 and 2011. 

Not sure what I've gotten myself into, but it was a hell of a lot of fun and a welcome distraction from everything else. Maybe I'll get to see them lift the cup. Maybe it will be next year. I've seen redemption titles before. They are by far the sweetest. 

/csb Go Stars

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Is the official offseason thread?
Our reverse retro jerseys look like they will be the star pattern making a return. I may just buy one.
Also, the We're Not Going Home documentary was great.

Looking forward to it as I’m on record as despising our current sweaters. The white is less shitty than the green IMO but I know this is a very unpopular opinion. I loved the Winter Classic look.

I love the all black uniforms from the mid/later 90’s the best. I like the color scheme of the late 00’s but “Dallas” across the front was weak as hell.

Looking forward to it as I’m on record as despising our current sweaters. The white is less shitty than the green IMO but I know this is a very unpopular opinion. I loved the Winter Classic look.

I love the all black uniforms from the mid/later 90’s the best. I like the color scheme of the late 00’s but “Dallas” across the front was weak as hell.
I hated the Reebok jerseys. Was there even green on the black jersey?

55 minutes ago, vtaenz said:
1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I hated the Reebok jerseys. Was there even green on the black jersey?

On the black Reebok? Only green was on the Stars logo on the shoulders. I did like the cut of the Reebok sweaters. I have a white Morrow sweater but stupidly got the one "Dallas" across the front rather than the 3rd jersey with the Stars logo.

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/10/Dallas_Stars/

On 11/16/2020 at 6:30 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s not real, I hope. If the sweater is real, then black pants at least. All white looks just plain fucking stupid. 

Ugh, not a fan. The sweater would be OK with black pants, though, I think. I think. That is the logo/crest we should go back to though.

Are we going to get to see hockey before January?

I can't imagine they are going to have an entire season in bubbles. But, the US is a raging tire fire of covidy badness and I can't see the Canadians letting just anyone in. Maybe with some strict guidelines. 

I've heard exactly squat about when it might start. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the cross-conference alignment will be fun. We'll get to see Tampa a lot and also having a bunch of games against Carolina (who stanned for us in the finals), Columbus, Detroit, and even Florida should prove entertaining. It's anyone's guess who the top 4 out of any of these divisions will be. I'm excited to see it play out.