2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s a cornerstone of his plan to stay in power. He flatly TOLD US that tonight. We have an anti-democracy Cheeto Benito in our White House. This election is Trump against democracy. And it’s a toss up.

OK, maybe this Pollyanish, but the SC is not beholden in any way to Trump.

Would they really sully themselves historically for the sake of having a Republican President for 4 more years instead of a Dem one? A conservative leaning Supreme Court can rule conservatively  just as easily with Biden in office as it can with Trump in office. They don't need Trump in office to function. What would be the motivation to rule in any partisan way?

do we thnk the 6 conservative judges are drinking the Trump kool-aid on election fraud? I mean they are contemplative, level minded people aren't they? They are Justices.

am i naive?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

White supremacy is also an idea and not an organization.  This was as bad a moment for Biden as the opposite one was for Trump.

That is technically true, but both historically and currently there are white supremacist organizations to the degree that they have been labeled domestic terrorists.

I can't see that there are really any organized groups centered around the "Antifa" notion.  There are plenty of groups centered around other liberal notions that share Antifa ideas, but nothing like Proud Boys, for example, or the countless other white supremacist organizations that have existed for 150 years. e.g KKK, White Camellia, AB and its variants, Stormfront, WAR, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The country has multiple statues honoring the founder of one of the most prominent white supremacy orgs (I.e Nathaniel Bedford Forrest and the Klan). Zero statues to Antifa.

Sure.  Offer a better comparison.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Would they really sully themselves historically for the sake of having a Republican President for 4 more years instead of a Dem one? A conservative leaning Supreme Court can rule conservatively  just as easily with Biden in office as it can with Trump in office. They don't need Trump in office to function. What would be the motivation to rule in any partisan way?

do we thnk the 6 conservative judges are drinking the Trump kool-aid on election fraud? I mean they are contemplative, level minded people aren't they? They are Justices.

am i naive?

Yes, you are naive. They think Trump is gauche but that he's useful to their movement and absolutely preferable in every way to any Democrat, even Joe Biden. They'll gladly steal another election if they think they can get away with it.

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

am i naive?

I don't think so (naive).  God I hope not.

The main thing, in addition to the points you raise, is that, unlike GOP senators and representatives, they are not beholden to Trump to preserve and maintain their power.  That is the key thing underlying the GOP betrayal of all that is right and good.

Things I would like to see Biden's prep team emphasize for next "debate":

1.  If trump brings up his education and intelligence again,  ask him why he won't release his college transcripts or his SAT registration/signature info.

2.  When trump sates he "has done more in 4 yrs then anyone else", say oh yea no one is debating that. Most destructive events are quick and fast, its the building that takes time.

3.  When trump brings up Hunter and drug abuse, Biden should just look at him and say "Careful Donnie....glass houses".  Then loudly  sniff repeatedly.

4.  When Trump goes on an unhinged rant, Biden should just look at him and say "Donnie are you OK?  Seriously we are all worried about you.  Cleveland Clinic, the sponsor of these debates, has excellent mental health professionals"

5.  More ridicule.  Biden needs to work of his Ray from Goodfellas laugh for when Trump is going batshit

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think so (naive).  God I hope not.

The main thing, in addition to the points you raise, is that, unlike GOP senators and representatives, they are not beholden to Trump to preserve and maintain their power.  That is the key thing underlying the GOP betrayal of all that is right and good.

This is true, but misses the bigger motivator which is that they are ideologically committed to protecting and increasing the political power of conservatives. They may think Trump is a boor, they may think he's dumb, they may wish he was more sophisticated, but more importantly, they fundamentally think that his conservative hierarchical worldview is right. John Roberts wouldn't be doing all he can this year in the shadow docket to prevent black people from being able to vote if he didn't want Trump to win.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I really don’t care what your political views are.  Personally, I would classify myself as a center right Republican if I had to put a label on it.  We need more fiscal responsibility than either party has shown.  We need more strategic social programs, rather than what is becoming a universal minimum wage.  But I digress.  My point is, irrespective of your politics, how on earth can ANYONE support four more years of a man who has made it his mission to tear the country apart, continually and continuously embarrasses the country and the office he holds, who caters only to those who support him and the rest be damned, and has made our country an international laughing stock?  It baffles me that anyone can stand behind this guy.  And please don’t say I support his policies, not him as an individual.  You don’t get to separate the two.  I am no fan of Joe Biden, but his comment that Donald Trump is the worst president in American history could not be more spot on.  We absolutely can not afford 4 more years of this.  We deserve better.   MUCH better.  

I would +rep this but I gave out rep to everyone that posted a pic of booze last night and there was a lot of booze so I'm out

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This is true, but misses the bigger motivator which is that they are ideologically committed to protecting and increasing the political power of conservatives. They may think Trump is a boor, they may think he's dumb, they may wish he was more sophisticated, but more importantly, they fundamentally think that his conservative hierarchical worldview is right. John Roberts wouldn't be doing all he can this year in the shadow docket to prevent black people from being able to vote if he didn't want Trump to win.

They’re essentially creating a cult like culture as a party and their messiah is Trump. I’ve never seen people or a party act like this regarding a presidential candidate. It’s almost like they want a dictatorship. 

17 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Is there a spokesman/woman for Antifa that has clearly articulated their structure and goals to the media? Oh there isn’t.

I can find those with Proud Boys Gavin McGinnis putting a dildo in his butt to own the libs and calling for violence at every turn, and have pages of hits on the Internet for the KKK.

JBJ, below is the Proud Boys creator Gavin McInnes. Hear his words and then say if you think ANTIFA is/ or has anything remotely similar to stoke violence. There is a 2 and one half minute compilation of this guy using slurs and then putting a butt plug in himself to “own the libs.” Antifa and white supremacy movements are not equal.

Rogan had that piece of shit on his show? How does a guy like this openly exist today? Wow.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Trump sabotaged the debate. This is a fact. He wants to muck everything up and create chaos. Any discussion of Biden's performance needs be qualified with that statement.

I'm not a huge fan of Joe, but that was admirable performance in an incredibly tough situation IMO. He kept his cool, laughed/shrugged off Trump, and focused his attention on the cameras/American people. 

Criticizing Biden for last night would be like bitching about a hitter not getting a base hit when the pitcher is literally trying to bean him on every pitch. 

Oh I agree 100%.  But assuming there will be more debates, this is not going to stop, so need to prep as best one can for it.  I think more of the Biden speaking to the camera and ridicule when Trump goes unhinged is the way forward 

Man, this right here is why we're turbofucked. Type "wh" into Google and the first search result is "WHO WON DEBATE". Nothing about what they talked about, how they responded to questions, etc. There's a reason politics have gotten even more sound-bitey and sanitized for the morons over the last 10 years or so. It's what we ask for. They're just providing a product.

For the record, I was looking for "when does the game start tonight" (NBA Finals). 8pm, if anyone was wondering.

whowon.png.f23d70b39e346a0332faad94d80fcd4e.png

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Biden can't be the one who cancels the debates.  Not matter how big of a shitshow they are, he has to keep doing them until Trump or the networks tap.

This is correct. It's the one move that might actually really hurt him. It sucks because I certainly don't want to watch any more of these (I do want to see Kamala tear Pence apart). And you sure as shit know Joe doesn't want to participate in another minute of that embarrassing nonsense. But here we are.

I think a more effective tactic will be more of his speaking directly into the camera. Just ignore Trump and remind the American people that he's lying and that he's a crook who is terrified of going to prison if he loses so he's trying to encourage chaos and violence so his party can try to steal the election. The American people need to be primed to treat any judicial rulings in Trump's favor as fundamentally illegitimate. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

IMO last night didn't change anything. After the last 4 years of chaos, If you are still supporting Trump then there's nothing anyone can do, including Trump himself, that is going to change your mind. Trump has the mental maturity of a 12 year old bratty kid. Last night was a continuation of exactly how he's acted the last 4 years.

I'm just surprised that in 2020, we still have this many racist pieces of shits in the US with the Fraud in Charge being the poster boy.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't understand how what you said was any different from what I said (much less how you think what I said was "fucking despicable").  Of course Hillary crushed Trump in the debate.  Hillary actually did quite a lot better during her debate than Biden did last night.

But Trump didn't come out of the debate against her nearly as badly as I think he is coming out of the debate last night.  And I think that has a lot to do with the fact that this country is going to be a whole lot more forgiving of assholery directed against a woman.

I've been thinking about this, and while I agree it was a shitshow, it was a shitshow that benefited Biden.  Why wouldn't Biden agree to do the next two debates?  He came out of last night in better shape than he went in.

This is wrong.  There was a winner.  Joe Biden won.

And even if you think there was no winner, that means Joe Biden won.

Every poll out there has Trump down.  He's down around 7 or 8 nationally.  He's down 9 in Pennsylvania.  He's down a similar amount in Wisconsin.  He's down even worse in Michigan.  He's down three or four in Florida.  He's down in Arizona and North Carolina.  He may even be down in Georgia.  He is losing.

There are five weeks until the election.  Trump needs all of those five weeks to make up ground.

He just lost one of them.

The next week is going to be dominated by coverage of the fact that Donald Trump (1) won't condemn white supremacy, and (2) told white supremacist terrorist groups to "stand back and stand by."  It's reminiscent of Charlottesville, after which Trump's approval ratings hit the lowest point of his presidency.

But even if you think his numbers won't go down--and I don't think I agree with that prediction--you have to know they're not going to go up.  And Trump needs them to go up.  And every day that they don't go up is a loss for him.

Trump lost.  And in a two-man race, that means Biden won.

This is the correct answer.  You should be on TV.  Trump is down by 3 TD's in the 4th quarter.  Trading scores doesn't help him.  There isn't one Biden supporter last night that changed their minds.  All Trump did was what he's done since Day One and that is stoke the base.

10 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

1.  If trump brings up his education and intelligence again,  ask him why he won't release his college transcripts or his SAT registration/signature info.

2.  When trump sates he "has done more in 4 yrs then anyone else", say oh yea no one is debating that. Most destructive events are quick and fast, its the building that takes time.

3.  When trump brings up Hunter and drug abuse, Biden should just look at him and say "Careful Donnie....glass houses".  Then loudly  sniff repeatedly.

4.  When Trump goes on an unhinged rant, Biden should just look at him and say "Donnie are you OK?  Seriously we are all worried about you.  Cleveland Clinic, the sponsor of these debates, has excellent mental health professionals"

5.  More ridicule.  Biden needs to work of his Ray from Goodfellas laugh for when Trump is going batshit

tenor.gif

I like everything but #3. You could say anything you want about Don Jr., he doesn’t care, wouldn’t bother him one bit because he doesn’t like him. Now, you dig Ivanka, that would sting. 

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Oh I agree 100%.  But assuming there will be more debates, this is not going to stop, so need to prep as best one can for it.  I think more of the Biden speaking to the camera and ridicule when Trump goes unhinged is the way forward 

The presidential debate commission could probably change some rules for the ensuing debates. Killing an opponent's mic for these 2 minute responses would help. 

I also think the lack of commercial break fucked things up last night. A 90 second off-air break would have given them time to tell Trump to knock it off and get things under control. 

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Man, this right here is why we're turbofucked. Type "wh" into Google and the first search result is "WHO WON DEBATE". Nothing about what they talked about, how they responded to questions, etc. There's a reason politics have gotten even more sound-bitey and sanitized for the morons over the last 10 years or so. It's what we ask for. They're just providing a product.

For the record, I was looking for "when does the game start tonight" (NBA Finals). 8pm, if anyone was wondering.

mine suggests Whataburger

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

https://rosecityantifa.org/about/

They seem a bit more organized than not to me. 

I know you're not in a technology field so I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but putting that forward as some sort of huge organized deal is silly. I could build that website in half a day, and I'm not even exaggerating. It's a template with maybe 500 words of original content. They're like $20 to set up and $3-5 per month.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

There are two more of these?  Do we know who is moderating? Jesus.

Biden needs to insist on ability to cut mikes, although that won't prevent Trump from just shouting across the stage.  Unless they can figure out a different format, I don't know if next two will be any different, and could get worse.

The main piece of low hanging fruit, in my mind, that Joe missed last night was the unsolicited ballot comment.  There is no such thing, and that needs to be hammered home.  There are unsolicited ballot applications.  But unless you are in one of the states where all voting is done by mail, people can't just send you ballots without you completing an application.  This is one of the biggest lies in this whole fraudulent election argument being espoused by Trumpkins, and one of the easiest to refute.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

tenor.gif

1. He needs to say out loud " you are lying" and say outloud that he is a  "liar" over and over and over  again.

2. Remind Americans at every opportunity that they are looking at an impeached President.

3. do not respond to personal insults with personal insults. Personal insults is Trump's thing. I am ok with "would you just shut up, man", but i wish he had not used the word clown. it's not changing my vote obviously, and it isnt that big of deal, i just wish he had not said it. i get the feeling Biden wished he hadnt either.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I think a more effective tactic will be more of his speaking directly into the camera. Just ignore Trump and remind the American people that he's lying and that he's a crook who is terrified of going to prison if he loses so he's trying to encourage chaos and violence so his party can try to steal the election. The American people need to be primed to treat any judicial rulings in Trump's favor as fundamentally illegitimate. 

I've been saying this since 2016.  Literally act like he's not there.  He doesn't "debate" so there's no point.  Get your talking points across and ignore him.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Henry James bringing the good stuff as always.

I also believe that the usual journalists and even the best ones are too focused on what they expect. I've written before about how TV media in particular loves covering the presidential race because they know exactly what's going to happen and they can say the same thing they said last time. They're often hostile to actual news.

Their commentary on the debate is another example. I watched MSNBC for hours after the debate. They're right to be mortified at how the debate went and the conduct of Trump. They hit the salient points to cover about the debate from their usual perspective. The three women after the debate led by Maddow shone brightly in their intelligence and wit, but only seldomly did I hear the larger point.

Yes, it was unlike other debates. But do we want to cancel the others because the rules weren't followed?

The point of the campaigns and the debates is to allow us a look at the candidates not to disqualify them for showing who they really are. Only a few persons on TV noted that. I think Biden's campaign manager who largely embarrassed herself by ignoring questions and spouting her message did say that Biden should debate again because you must stand up to a bully (although, now that I think about it, that may have been the excellent Nicole Wallace meaning the campaign manager offered nothing worthwhile).

The debates should go on. Biden should say that he promises not to interrupt or engage Trump when he does. He should then just present a sober, presidential demeanor when Trump rants. When given an opportunity to respond to the rant, go ahead and say, "act like you're President of the United States, Donald."

This all sets a maybe bad precedent for the future, but I think we crossed that river long ago when we installed a second rate game show host/foreign asset in the White House.

Also, thanks to those reminding me about Joe's stutter and Trump's actions in hopes to trigger it. Trump needs to be cuffed across the stage with a final backhand to send him weeping into the chairs at Melania's feet. She could remain Sphinx-like and look in another direction.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I know you're not in a technology field so I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but putting that forward as some sort of huge organized deal is silly. I could build that website in half a day, and I'm not even exaggerating. It's a template with maybe 500 words of original content. They're like $20 to set up and $3-5 per month.

I'm not even saying all of antifa is, but Rose City Antifa definitely has been organized more than not. On the web site they've been around since 2007.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That was definitely when Biden was most effective.  That's who your audience is--they're through the camera.

As a candidate in a debate, you're trying to persuade the people on the other side of that camera.  So talk to them.

Trump never once looked into the camera.  Not once.  He looked at Chris Wallace or Joe Biden the entire time.  But they're not the audience.  You're not trying to persuade Chris Wallace.  And you're never going to persuade Joe Biden.  So why the fuck are you looking at them?

And it's just another point that is indicative of the underlying truth: Trump did absolutely no debate prep.  He treated the debate like he has treated his entire presidency: as something that he can just fake his way through.  And it is biting us all in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I'm just surprised that in 2020, we still have this many racist pieces of shits in the US with the Fraud in Charge being the poster boy.

Stop being surprised.  Accept the reality -- we are a shitty country full of shitty, shitty people.  We aren't the "shining city on a hill" that we thought we were.  We're a gilded, bullying, dung heap, built on a foundation of cruelty and suffering that we deny in public and gloat over in private.  Trump may be the perfect president for this country at this point in time.  

I was once naive like you, and thought that racism, cruelty, and the like had been beaten back into dark corners, where small fragments might survive, but they would ultimately be of no consequence.  Then, we saw what happened when white people got scared, when they realized that 1) they may not keep their death-grip on power, and worried 2) "holy shit, what if non-white people coming to power treat us as shitty as we treated them?"  And those impulses caused them to come out of the woodwork, and to dial up their shittiness to 11.

Not only did they not have a problem with Trump's infantile bullying last night, they fucking LOVED it.  An old college friend, a super Trumpkin, went on and on last night about how it's awesome, Trump's "a real junkyard dog!"  Of course, I reminded him that everyone knows that when a dog just turns irrationally vicious and dangerous, there's only one course of action....

14885_5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not to defend google, but apparently after watching that documentary, everyone gets different suggestions based on their search history. So google knows you're politically minded right now.

I'm sure that proud boy piece of human shit on the video above, when he types in "WH" gets an autocomplete suggestion like: Where to lynch blacks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

White supremacy is also an idea and not an organization.  This was as bad a moment for Biden as the opposite one was for Trump.

Are you fucking kidding me? Antifa means antifascist and the whole ideology is based on fighting fucking fascism. You know, Nazis. How in the blue fuck is that comparable to supporting white supremacy? What the fuck is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1