2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

18 minutes ago, JBJ said:

That's kind of like saying Trump said, "I want to see peace."

They both went out if their way to ignore/downplay/deny the actual violence from their base.

Dude, no. Biden said firmly and in no uncertain terms that he condemned violent acts and that they should be prosecuted. Literally in those exact words.

The Trump equivalent to that would be him saying "I condemn white supremacy and white supremacist groups" - but that's not what we got, was it?

Just because the idiot king was yelling at the top of his lungs while Biden was saying the above doesn't mean he didn't say it. You either just didn't hear it because you were paying attention to Trump's over-talk, or you're being disingenuous. How much more clear can you get than "I condemn violent acts and they should be prosecuted"? How is that vague or slippery whatsoever?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

After sleeping on it and sobering up (15-20 minutes of that “debate” drove me to drink heavily last night) y’all are right. Biden should show up at the next debate. America needs to see trump coked up and high in front of a town hall audience.

It’s disgusting but at this moment in time America itself is disgusting because of one unhinged lunatic and his dipshit and evil supporters. 

1 hour ago, CDAK said:

I think Trump's strategy was to be ultra aggressive and Joe would be so bamboozled that he would seem like a lost Alzheimer's patient on stage. That obviously didn't work. Joe stammered some but it didn't seem like he was completely lost. And any substance from Trump was lost due to his constant interrupting and bickering. 

Joe also seems to waffle on his policies, reiterating what someone said above not know what his policies are. He rather emphatically denounced the green new deal last night. His website states "Biden believes the Green New Deal is a crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges we face."  https://joebiden.com/climate-plan/

Negged for distortion and either buying into a gotcha strategy or willfully promoting it. I googled Joe Biden Green New Deal and was sent to his site. Here are the two paragraphs that lead to a bullet point plan the same as he outlined last night:

Vice President Biden knows there is no greater challenge facing our country and our world. Today, he is outlining a bold plan – a Clean Energy Revolution – to address this grave threat and lead the world in addressing the climate emergency.

Biden believes the Green New Deal is a crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges we face. It powerfully captures two basic truths, which are at the core of his plan: (1) the United States urgently needs to embrace greater ambition on an epic scale to meet the scope of this challenge, and (2) our environment and our economy are completely and totally connected.

The bolding was on the site. They intro a plan called the Clean Energy Revolution, reference the Green New Deal as capturing two important truths, then goes on to outline "the Biden Plan"

As president, Biden will lead the world to address the climate emergency and lead through the power of example, by ensuring the U.S. achieves a 100% clean energy economy and net-zero emissions no later than 2050.

The Biden Plan will:

If you went to the site, then you're being dishonest suggesting Biden endorses the Green New Deal as his plan as president.

Try harder.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

You quoted the exact same sentence as me. I read the sentences we both quoted as supporting the Green New Deal. It would be odd to not support something and refer to it as a "crucial framework" that "powerfully captures two basic truths." Last night, he said "[n]o, I don't support the Green New Deal." I didn't distort anything. I quoted him and linked to his site. Those quotes are contradictory.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Can anticom and antifa come together for get togethers, or do you think there might be a clash?

I don't believe for a second that posters here are incapable of severing the concept of anti-facism in general with the leftwing violence done under the guise of it.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Vice President Biden, your closing statement:

"Look here asshole, if you say one more word... and I mean one more God damn word about my deceased son, I swear to God I will walk right over there and rip your fucking head off."

Didn't watch. How far apart on the stage were they? Because I would have punched that fat fuck in the mouth if he had insulted my dead son. The only question is whether or not I could have gotten in a few face stomps before the SS tackled me.

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

You guys hate the comparison for reasons unrelated to the debate topic.  I'm okay with someone coming up with a better comparison, but that hasn't happened.

What right-wing idea/extremism is more comparable?

Just because you can't comprehend the reasons doesn't mean they are unrelated to the topic. People have pointed out the false equivalency and explained why, but you are incapable of comprehending it. That's your fault. 

Let me help you out with your analogy since you're incapable cognitively. 

Right-Wing extremism - People who bomb abortion clinics

Left-Wing extremism - People who bomb police stations. 

Both examples depict actions derived from non-violent legitimate ideas/beliefs. (Christianity/Anti-fascism). These beliefs are practiced non-violently every day around the world, whether by protests, pamphlets, etc. A small group of terrible people use these ideas/beliefs to legitimize extreme radical violence. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I don't believe for a second that posters here are incapable of severing the concept of anti-facism in general with the leftwing violence done under the guise of it.

And yet here you are conflating the two.

Are you anti-ANTIFA, or anti-leftwing-violence?

Because if you're the latter, then I have some good news for you. You and Joe Biden agree!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You guys hate the comparison for reasons unrelated to the debate topic.  I'm okay with someone coming up with a better comparison, but that hasn't happened.

What right-wing idea/extremism is more comparable?

Why exactly do we need to come up with a new comparison for you?  You are the one the made the ridiculous  assertion that anti-facism and white supremacy are equivalent ideas.  If you no longer agree with that assertion just say so.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

And yet here you are conflating the two.

Are you anti-ANTIFA, or anti-leftwing-violence?

Because if you're the latter, then I have some good news for you. You and Joe Biden agree!

And.....it's that fucking simple.

I am anti-communist....but I completely oppose jackboots rounding up people for their beliefs and imprisoning them (that has actually happened to communists in numerous places).  I completely oppose our government punishing citizens for holding a belief in communism (see McCarthyism).

I am anti-fascist....but I completely oppose people throwing firebombs and federal buildings and such.

Biden feels the same way that I do.

Given a chance to take that position, not only did Trump refuse to do so, HE ISSUED A MOTHERFUCKING CALL TO ARMS TO RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS.

So.....a big, BIG fucking difference between the two of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I mean Trump said that he said said he wasn't talking about Nazis and white supremacists, when he said good people on both sides.

Yeah, he was talking about those fine people who want to keep waving confederate flags and protecting statues honoring traitors.  

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Why exactly do we need to come up with a new comparison for you?  You are the one the made the ridiculous  assertion that anti-facism and white supremacy are equivalent ideas.  If you no longer agree with that assertion just say so.

Comparable in that they are both ideas (and not organizations) that people are performing violence in the name of. 

I never equated the ideas.  Ridiculous strawman.

Edited by JBJ

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Biden can't be the one who cancels the debates.  Not matter how big of a shitshow they are, he has to keep doing them until Trump or the networks tap.

absolutely correct.  Trump is dying for Biden to say he won't do another debate so he can call him a loser and a quitter.  that's what Trump is hoping for.  can't give him that.  Trump has no incentive to call off the debates.  the networks don't either.  i'm guessing the ratings were yuuuuge.  plus, that's a lot hours of content they would have to replace.

so these clusterfucks will continue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Trump admitted on stage last night he is a White supremacist. Not that we didn’t know that already. 

That needs to be one of the questions asked at the town hall by some voter. Do you believe in white supremacy? 

Im thinking trump may just not show up. 

Edited by JimmyJames

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump admitted on stage last night he is a White supremacists. Not that we didn’t know that already. 

That needs to be one of the questions asked at the town hall by some voter. Do you believe in white supremacy? 

Im thinking trump may just not show up. 

Who is moderating the town hall?  Need someone that can put the smack down if needed. What's the Rock up to?

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

JBJ be trolling y’all. Someone had to do it in this thread today and he got the assignment. 

Nah, he's not a troll. I've talked to him offline and we traded some data related to Covid. He's a good dude. He's off the reservation on this one though.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

JBJ be trolling y’all. Someone had to do it in this thread today and he got the assignment. 

he aint troling. he's doing what trump supporters do. don't defend any of trumps words or action, deflect it elsewhere. 

he wants to willingly avoid accepting reality that trump had a clear definitive chance to renounce white supremacy. instead of doing so, trump double downed and ask them to "stand by" as if to wait for his command to round up the jews, or in in this case, minorities. 

how the fuck trump does not answer the obvious question with an empathic denial of white supremacy is beyond me, unless well, he's a fucking racist piece of shit and that's the only thing he will not lie about.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The applicable comparison is what Trump said vs. what Biden said.  Biden said violence was wrong and only peaceful protesting was legitimate.   Trump said, “The right wing isn’t the problem.  It’s all coming from the left.  Name a supposed right wing white supremacy group.  Proud Boys?  Ok, Proud Boys.  Well, to them I say, Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.”

One condemned violence.  The other tried to deflect and avoid answering, and then when pressed told a violent right wing group to be on standby for him in case he needs them.   Then, he also refused to say he would accept the results of the election, and in fact encouraged his supporters to go to polling places and intimidate people.

I don’t like Antifa, either.   I don’t think they’re all peaceful protesters.  There are a lot of people within that umbrella using it as an excuse to loot, harm people and property, and cause unrest for the sake of causing unrest rather than for good faith protest. But that isn’t the fucking point.  

You can believe Antifa is worse than the KKK or whatever the fuck you want.  The point is one candidate condemned violence, and the other not only refused to do so, but essentially put forth the idea that violence is justified in the event he loses the election.  Whether or not Antifa is as bad as anything else is not the point, and you know it.

So, just for the sake of argument, if I stipulate that Antifa isn’t 100% full of benevolent peaceful protesters, will you now stipulate that Biden correctly denounces all violence, while Trump is an irredeemable shitstain who refuses to denounce all violence if it means denouncing anyone who supports him?  

He’s happy to denounce the other side’s violence, but not any violence from the right wing.  Is that how you feel, too? 

It took Biden a few minutes and a few questions later to condemn violence in response to police shootings.  In the moment where it was presented as right wing and left wing examples, both opponents equivocated. I do think think Trump's was worse when he was pressed on the issue.  No here has supported Trump's position.  Someone here supported Biden's.

12 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's something to that.  And maybe one day we need to evaluate our inherent misogyny.  But yeah--being an asshole to Joe Biden was very different from being an asshole to Hillary Clinton.

Hillary is another asshole.  Not to the level of Trump but she's on the same side of the scale.

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Comparable in that they are both ideas (and not organizations) that people are performing violence in the name of. 

But that's an utterly stupid, brain-dead comparison.  That comparison also applies to "fans of the Philadelphia Eagles" -- because I recall people performing violence in celebration of the Eagles after their SB win.

But being an Eagles fan isn't inherently twisted and evil (sorry, Cowboys fans -- it's not).  Being against fascism isn't inherently twisted and evil -- fuck, it's actually GOOD, according to long-standing US policy.  But being a white supremacist....yeah, it's shitty and indefensible from top to bottom.  Peaceful, violent, it's ALL shitty.

The modern discussion of "anti-fascism" involves at least some complexity, because being anti-fascist is a good thing, and most people who are anti-fascist are not doing anything wrong or counterproductive.

The discussion of white supremacy, on the other hand, is not complex.  There are no good white supremacists, holding the position for good reasons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

he aint troling. he's doing what trump supporters do. don't defend any of trumps words or action, deflect it elsewhere. 

he wants to willingly avoid accepting reality that trump had a clear definitive chance to renounce white supremacy. instead of doing so, trump double downed and ask them to "stand by" as if to wait for his command to round up the jews, or in in this case, minorities. 

how the fuck trump does not answer the obvious question with an empathic denial of white supremacy is beyond me, unless well, he's a fucking racist piece of shit and that's the only thing he will not lie about.

Since he ain’t trolling and just being a trump supporter idiot, of which I know plenty, I won’t neg him anymore beyond the one I already gave. 

He is acting like a dipshit on this thread today though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Not sure why you guys keep sugar coating it. Yeah, he could have denounced it, but instead he gave them marching orders.  The only answer is that Trump is a white supremacist himself. 

And anyone that defends Trump on that, or tries to justify it with a "but antifa," is probably a white supremacist too. It is indefensible otherwise. If they aren't white supremacists too, JBJ and his ilk should condemn Trump on that topic, and find another hill to die on like Trump's "millions" paid in taxes, or judges, or wanting poor people to not have access to healthcare. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I never equated the ideas.  Ridiculous strawman.

Biden unequivocally condemned any violence and said that people committing violence should be prosecuted.   He did it forcefully and clearly.  So what are you "both sides" yapping about exactly?

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Didn't watch. How far apart on the stage were they? Because I would have punched that fat fuck in the mouth if he had insulted my dead son. The only question is whether or not I could have gotten in a few face stomps before the SS tackled me.

I dont think he insulted Beau. But i might have missed it because my wife did get "my son Beau" on her bingo card. 

He insulted Hunter for having a drug problem in the months just prior to his brother being diagnosed with brain cancer (per wiki). Given the losses that family has experienced, it's just so trump to go after them. 

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Not sure why you guys keep sugar coating it. Yeah, he could have denounced it, but instead he gave them marching orders.  The only answer is that Trump is a white supremacist himself. 

And anyone that defends Trump on that, or tries to justify it with a "but antifa," is probably a white supremacist too. It is indefensible otherwise. If they aren't white supremacists too, JBJ and his ilk should condemn Trump on that topic, and find another hill to die on like Trump's "millions" paid in taxes, or judges, or wanting poor people to not have access to healthcare. 

Correct. Let’s tell it like it is. If you’re attempting to defend or deflect what Trump did last night you are giving cover to white supremacy. That makes you a white supremacist  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They both went out if their way to ignore/downplay/deny the actual violence from their base.

ANTIFA isn't Joe's base. They hate him and he hates them.

White supremacists are Trump's base. They love him and he loves them.

This isn't hard to understand. :)

18 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Can anticom and antifa come together for get togethers, or do you think there might be a clash?

"Anti-Communism" in America is, and always has been, a mask for white supremacy and fascism. Communism doesn't exist here as a political force.

11 minutes ago, JBJ said:

ANTIFA doesn't actually do that much violence. Lots of property crime. Lots of yelling and making people mad, but not a lot of "violence". And violence certainly isn't something they celebrate or make part of their initiations or self-image.

Are you looking for the word "disorder"?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's something to that.  And maybe one day we need to evaluate our inherent misogyny.  But yeah--being an asshole to Joe Biden was very different from being an asshole to Hillary Clinton.

I happened to watch a few clips of Trump debating Hillary this week. He was an asshole and offered no real policy positions then either. But he was controlled and I was surprised by that. Against Biden he was completely unhinged, and I dont think its because of a different debate opponent. He has actually devolved significantly over these 4 years.  You can probably see it in his rally speeches between then and now as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But that's an utterly stupid, brain-dead comparison.

I'm not sure why Biden didn't denounce democracy. It is an idea that people commit violence in the name of every day around the world. Clearly you can see how democracy is the equivalent of child rape in this context.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

absolutely correct.  Trump is dying for Biden to say he won't do another debate so he can call him a loser and a quitter.  that's what Trump is hoping for.  can't give him that.  Trump has no incentive to call off the debates.  the networks don't either.  i'm guessing the ratings were yuuuuge.  plus, that's a lot hours of content they would have to replace.

so these clusterfucks will continue.

I am guessing the ratings will be much worse for II and III which might end up being a bad thing for Trump what with being behind and all and needing a boost with the non base.  I don't see many undecideds tuning in again or even messing with the post game analysis.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

ANTIFA isn't Joe's base. They hate him and he hates them.

White supremacists are Trump's base. They love him and he loves them.

This isn't hard to understand. :)

"Anti-Communism" in America is, and always has been, a mask for white supremacy and fascism. Communism doesn't exist here as a political force.

ANTIFA doesn't actually do that much violence. Lots of property crime. Lots of yelling and making people mad, but not a lot of "violence". And violence certainly isn't something they celebrate or make part of their initiations or self-image.

Are you looking for the word "disorder"?

Brisket is a white supremacists?

It took Biden a few minutes and a few questions later to condemn violence in response to police shootings.  In the moment where it was presented as right wing and left wing examples, both opponents equivocated. I do think think Trump's was worse when he was pressed on the issue.  No here has supported Trump's position.  Someone here supported Biden's.

Biden was asked to denounce violence, he did that with authority.

Trump was asked to denounce white supremacy. He did the opposite.

You're either a fucking idiot or a disingenuous piece of shit or maybe both. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pivoting a little bit here.

As a Biden voter, I will say that I think there's more upside going forward in debates 2 and 3 for Biden than Trump. Trump has made two things clear:

- He's going to play the greatest hits, which everyone has heard, and don't really have any impact anymore
- He's going to be himself, a flaming, over-talking asshole. He can't help it.

I don't see Trump as really capable of shifting his strategy. He's going to do what he do. But there is definitely some correctable room for improvement with Biden. They have two weeks to focus group and figure out how to parry the absolute insanity coming out of Trump. I'm sure they prepared for insanity, but I don't think they were expecting that level of it.

Stay the course, stay under control, don't get mad, come up with a few good zingers and "Scranton Joe is riled up!" moments to queue up for Trump's very predictable lines, keep laughing at him and being dismissive, and keep letting Trump hang himself.

I feel better about the debate today than last night. Nobody won, but Joe lost less than Trump lost.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not sure why Biden didn't denounce democracy. It is an idea that people commit violence in the name of every day around the world. Clearly you can see how democracy is the equivalent of child rape in this context.

Except that Biden wasn't asked to denounce Democracy.  He was asked to denounce child rape.