Utopia - (Amazon)

Neonmoon

This shows needs its own thread because it's awesome and it confuses the shit out of me sometimes. I'm 7 episodes in, so if you haven't see that much of the show, do not read the spoiler. 

Spoiler

This show does an impeccable job of surprising the viewer. There have been deaths and pivots in the narrative that I did not see coming from a mile away and were very welcome in the usual paint by numbers Hollywood world. It's very refreshing. But at the same time, this show does not fuck around. They're very willing to cross some lines. It's also a little shocking considering the pandemic going on right now. 

As to the actual story, I'm still trying to figure out why Jessica Hyde was so important. They sort of lay it out saying she is the only person who could identify Mr. Rabbit, but I mean, why was she different from the other kids they experimented on? Was the genius doctor actually her father? Or was she created like all the rest of the kids, and she was special in a different way, maybe immune to all the diseases? That is why she's so important and they want to find her?

Also, from the asylum photos, you can't really tell who her father is in the picture. His face is sort of hidden. Could it be possible that Mr. Rabbit and the genius scientist are the same person? I don't know. In the comics, the scientist has an eye patch and Dr. Christie does not.

Speaking of the comics, who drew them? They were drawn by someone in the asylum and given to the therapist. Was that the genius scientist who drew them? I mean he would know all that info, so it makes sense. Why was Dr. Sterns in the same asylum as the mad scientist?

What is with Amazon and these hyper violent shows with a rag tag team of misfits fighting a comically evil conglomerate that puts on a benevolent outward persona.  

The Boys is great, Hunters was a mess.  I am still figuring this one out.  The mystery is interesting but for whatever reason the Ned Stark moment in episode 2 really turned me off as unnecessary. 

Although they seem to be hinting that character is coming back

I liked that moment in the 2nd episode and think that is why it's a good show. Different strokes for different folks

Anyway, I finished the 8th and last episode

Spoiler

I love this show. I love the twist and turns. I'm confused about Jessica Hyde's back. She was experimented on as a child. What was on her back? Diseases? Cures? I also didn't like Wilson's turn. It didn't make any sense for his character. Unless he's playing some kind of long game, I just don't see it. I also am confused by the Blue Ferry character. Why does she have the same brand scar on her stomach that Mr. Rabbit does. She worked with Mr. Rabbit and Jessica's father, but in what capacity?

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I liked that moment in the 2nd episode and think that is why it's a good show. Different strokes for different folks

Anyway, I finished the 8th and last episode

Hide contents

I love this show. I love the twist and turns. I'm confused about Jessica Hyde's back. She was experimented on as a child. What was on her back? Diseases? Cures? I also didn't like Wilson's turn. It didn't make any sense for his character. Unless he's playing some kind of long game, I just don't see it. I also am confused by the Blue Ferry character. Why does she have the same brand scar on her stomach that Mr. Rabbit does. She worked with Mr. Rabbit and Jessica's father, but in what capacity?

I usually am down for that type of surprise, too.  It just hit me wrong for some reason.  

I thought this show was going to be about comic fan bois or something when I started it. Holy shit, the first two episodes were way more violent and weird than I was mentally prepared to see. The story pulled me in pretty fast and kept the mystery hidden well enough so that it wasn't predictable.

Overall it was a really show.

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, ajax said:

Question for those who have seen both UK and US version - which one should I watch first?

Yes. I started on the US, but it depends on your style taste in shows. Either is a good choice IMO. US is choice. 

Okay, I watched the the first 2 episodes of both the UK and American version. They're very different.

The UK version has significantly better color grading and overall much better production values than the American version. The plot is also more gritty and intricate. The American version is more lighthearted. 

So far, UK>US by far but the US version is still enjoyable. I think I'm going to finish out the UK one first. 

• 9 months later...
32 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m three episodes in to the first season of the UK series. Jeez it’s grim.

Incredible show. You should finish it. It’s grim for sure but really fantastic. Supposedly Fincher was originally going to bring it to US but couldn’t make the deal. Sucks because it would be great source material for someone like him

I finished season one (UK version) and it’s not for me. Too much violence for no real reason and I thought everyone was overacting. Even though the premise is ludicrous I actually didn’t have trouble suspending disbelief. I’m certainly not above a ridiculous movie/show.

Every once in a while a popular show just doesn’t stick with me. I checked out the final episode of the US version just for grins. I didn’t realize/had forgotten that Cusack was in it, I might have liked that version better just for that reason.