Highway to the Danger Zone: Turkish F-16 shoots down Armenian Jet.

BehoId, The Underminer!

https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1029472.html

YEREVAN, SEPTEMBER 29, ARMENPRESS. Turkish air force F-16s have been deployed against Armenia and shot down an Armenian military aircraft amid the Azeri attack on Artsakh, the Armenian military said.

“Today, starting from 10:30, Turkish Air Force F-16 fighter jets took off from the Gyanja airport in Azerbaijan and were ensuring the Azerbaijani SU-25 and Turkish-made Bayraktar UAV bombings from the Azerbaijani Dalyar airport at the Armenian settlements and Armed Forces land divisions positioned in the Vardenis, Mets Masrik and Sotk regions of the Vardenis region in Armenia.

In the abovementioned period our air force was providing air support to the Armenian Armed Forces Air Defense units. During their mission and aerial battles, a Turkish Air Force F-16 fighter jet shot down an on-duty SU-25 jet of the Armenian Air Force in Armenian airspace,” Shushan Stepanyan said. She said the pilot of the SU-25 died.

The F-16 was at 60km depth and 8200 altitude, she said.

Editing and Translating by Stepan Kocharyan

• Hook 'Em 3

And just like that, Armenia lost one thirteenth of all of its attack aircraft.

Fun fact -- I saw all 13 of them a couple of years ago, lined up on the ground at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan.  The boy and I actually chuckled as we saw them out the window -- "and there's the entire Armenian air force."  

Fucking Karabakh has been a mess for better than 25 years.  Shit, when you visit Armenia, there are hardly any old-growth trees.  Why?  Because during the last big dustup over this.....the main power plants that supplied Armenia were on the other side of the lines.  So, they shut off power.  The Armenians literally call that period "the dark times" -- they cut down and burned all the trees they could find, for light, heat, and cooking.

And the conflict has been at a simmer for a long time.  Occasionally, it will boil over.  

Oh, and Turkey, as a nation -- they fucking suck.  My wife loves Istanbul, we'd love to visit when shit calms down, but the shit they've pulled for a century plus with regard to their neighbors -- yeah, Turkey kinda sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

... again.

Pretty good movie (with love story) that came out recently on the subject. Helped me keep straight Armenia and Slovenia. Then some Slovenian won the Tour de France while the Slovakian lost the Green Jersey.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And just like that, Armenia lost one thirteenth of all of its attack aircraft.

Fun fact -- I saw all 13 of them a couple of years ago, lined up on the ground at Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan.  The boy and I actually chuckled as we saw them out the window -- "and there's the entire Armenian air force."  

Fucking Karabakh has been a mess for better than 25 years.  Shit, when you visit Armenia, there are hardly any old-growth trees.  Why?  Because during the last big dustup over this.....the main power plants that supplied Armenia were on the other side of the lines.  So, they shut off power.  The Armenians literally call that period "the dark times" -- they cut down and burned all the trees they could find, for light, heat, and cooking.

And the conflict has been at a simmer for a long time.  Occasionally, it will boil over.  

Oh, and Turkey, as a nation -- they fucking suck.  My wife loves Istanbul, we'd love to visit when shit calms down, but the shit they've pulled for a century plus with regard to their neighbors -- yeah, Turkey kinda sucks.

thanks for sharing. yeah, not a fan of turkey. Fam in Cyprus has been sweating haloumi bullets all year. lots of tit for tat with the natural gas being located around the Eastern Med. 

*looks at the starting lineups to see who to cheer for*

Russia owns half of Cyprus

Turkey illegally owns northern part 

??

giphy.gif

In case people are not aware, Arminians are universally despised in Europe. They are at the bottom of Eastern Europe. Whenever some European starts talking shit about you or how the US is racist, just ask them what they think of Arminians. 

also, if youre ever in one of the big US cities and want the cold asshole Eastern European cab driver to liven up and be nice to you, ask them what they think of Arminians, then agree with them. Unless theyre Arminian, in which case just talk shit about Muslims. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

In case people are not aware, Arminians are universally despised in Europe. They are at the bottom of Eastern Europe. Whenever some European starts talking shit about you or how the US is racist, just ask them what they think of Arminians. 

also, if youre ever in one of the big US cities and want the cold asshole Eastern European cab driver to liven up and be nice to you, ask them what they think of Arminians, then agree with them. Unless theyre Arminian, in which case just talk shit about Muslims. 
So Armenia is the Florida of Eastern
Europe. All you hadta say.

So Armenia is the Florida of Eastern
Europe. All you hadta say.

When we drove in to Yerevan, I kept commenting “it’s like Russian Mexico.”

A year later, the boy and I were riding through a part of Mexico City (his first trip to Mexico)...and the boy turned to me and said “you were right!” About what? “About how Armenia looks like a Russian Mexico.”

In fairness, Mexican roads are WAY better.

When we drove in to Yerevan, I kept commenting “it’s like Russian Mexico.”

A year later, the boy and I were riding through a part of Mexico City (his first trip to Mexico)...and the boy turned to me and said “you were right!” About what? “About how Armenia looks like a Russian Mexico.”

In fairness, Mexican roads are WAY better.

Pan dulces > nazook

Fight me!

Pan dulces > nazook

Fight me!

Meh. They both kinda suck.

The battle of the flatbreads, tortillas v lavash....now that’s a good one. Tough call. I’ll go with tortillas, but I carry some bias there.

I’ll give them this - the coldest, freshest, most refreshing drinking water I’ve ever had was in Armenia. All over. Constantly running fountains of cold mountain runoff. We still talk about how it’s the best water we’ve ever had. Odd thing to remember, but it was that good.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh. They both kinda suck.

The battle of the flatbreads, tortillas v lavash....now that’s a good one. Tough call. I’ll go with tortillas, but I carry some bias there.

I’ll give them this - the coldest, freshest, most refreshing drinking water I’ve ever had was in Armenia. All over. Constantly running fountains of cold mountain runoff. We still talk about how it’s the best water we’ve ever had. Odd thing to remember, but it was that good.

Pure water has no taste. Think about it. What you are tasting are impurities in the water. Could it be Armenian piss?

Pure water has no taste. Think about it. What you are tasting are impurities in the water. Could it be Armenian piss?

Didn’t say anything about the taste - said it was cold, crisp, and refreshing. It was the most perfectly clean and refreshing water any of us has had. All four of us actually commented on it independently at different times on our trip.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, Brisketexan said:

Naan or Indian (native american) flatbread for me

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Naan or Indian (native american) flatbread for me

All warm-weather countries (that is, places where wheat or corn do well) have a flatbread.  It's a universal thing.  And I kinda like 'em all.

You know what EVERY culture has?  Pie.  Every culture has some sort of filled dough concoction -- sweet, savory, etc.  Peace through pie, that's my theory -- we can get there.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All warm-weather countries (that is, places where wheat or corn do well) have a flatbread.  It's a universal thing.  And I kinda like 'em all.

You know what EVERY culture has?  Pie.  Every culture has some sort of filled dough concoction -- sweet, savory, etc.  Peace through pie, that's my theory -- we can get there.

Asians: gtfo of here with your peasant pies. we no do pie, except hair pie.

Just now, crash_davis said:

hmmmmmmm, I don't consider that a pie. Pies are baked. Asians no bake. Aint nobody got time for that.

Bao is steamed goodiness.

I'm generous and magnanimous in my interpretation of pie.  Dough around a filling.  Bake, steam, grill, I don't care.  We have a pie.

It's sad that there doesn't seem to be anyone that will back any of the countries, groups, and ethnicities that Turkey invades and murders. We immediately vacate time and time again when Turkey attacks the Kurds. Turkey invaded and colonized Cyprus in the 70s. Still there. Not much resistance. Now, it seems like Armenia's two most likely protectors are fucking Russia and Iran. 

1 minute ago, CDAK said:

It's sad that there doesn't seem to be anyone that will back any of the countries, groups, and ethnicities that Turkey invades and murders. We immediately vacate time and time again when Turkey attacks the Kurds. Turkey invaded and colonized Cyprus in the 70s. Still there. Not much resistance. Now, it seems like Armenia's two most likely protectors are fucking Russia and Iran. 

As I re-read my post I can see how it sounded like I was justifying the systematic bigotry toward Arminians. 

what I meant was that when one gets acclimated to the culture of Eastern Europe one can see the depth of the bigotry and thereby understand why their holocaust was and is still mostly ignored. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

As I re-read my post I can see how it sounded like I was justifying the systematic bigotry toward Arminians. 

what I meant was that when one gets acclimated to the culture of Eastern Europe one can see the depth of the bigotry and thereby understand why their holocaust was and is still mostly ignored. 

Thanks for clarifying, I misinterpreted

Just now, CDAK said:

Thanks for clarifying, I misinterpreted

They're definitely a bastard child of Eurasia.  "Eurasia" being an important point.  Is Armenia European, at least in character?  Are they one of the central Asian states?  They're kinda neither fish nor fowl.  And their history is a mixed on as well.

The easternmost Hellenistic (greek) temple is in Armenia.  It borders islamic countries, but is the oldest Christian country.  They are very much a distinct ethnicity.  They are also very much a backwater of a state.

The people we met there were nice, but many were quite poor.  They were quite flattered that we were there to explore their country and culture, and like most anyone, they were proud to show it off.  But it was clear that they depend on other countries for a lot -- tourism from Iran, investment (and control) from Russia, subsidies from China (looking to expand the Belt and Road project).