Animals you have ran over

hundredTT

Hits: 1 coyote, 1deer, couple of random birds, couple of skunks, at least one rabbit that I can think of.

Near misses: bunch of turkey in the road, cow (twice), elk

Almost hit a javelina on a bike once. I was flying down a hill and it jumped out in front of me. Scared the crap out me as I would have taken a bad fall if I had hit it.

6 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Hits: 1 coyote, 1deer, couple of random birds, couple of skunks, at least one rabbit that I can think of.

Near misses: bunch of turkey in the road, cow (twice), elk

Almost hit a javelina on a bike once. I was flying down a hill and it jumped out in front of me. Scared the crap out me as I would have taken a bad fall if I had hit it.

A javelina on a bike?  Should have grabbed his ass and sold him to the circus.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I’ve had two bizarre ones.

In high school, a buzzard dive bombed right into my windshield. Didn’t do any damage except to itself. No idea what happened. It was about 20 feet in the air and then dropped straight at my car. Maybe it stroked out mid flight.

Was driving along on Brodie and some deer ran across in front of me quite a ways ahead. Then there was a straggler running after them. It ran right in front of me, realized its mistake and tried to turn back. It slipped on the pavement and fell so I ran right over it. Once again lucking out of any damage to my car.

2 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Was driving down the street and a squirrel just stopped in middle of the road and decided to end it. First time in 32 years of life I have killed a rodent by vehicle, which is surprising. What have you killed? 

I’ve driven over curbs to kill squirrels

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

One night my dad and I were driving down old Burleson Rd to get some fireworks. 

Had to be July, early 80s. 

For sure night time. 

I see a deer jump out and cross the road and say, "Dad, check out that deer!"

We both watched that elegant beast bound its way to safety.

Then we hit the deer that followed.

We forgot about the two deer rule.

What a night....fireworks, a broken headlight, busted radiator grill and one dead deer.

Oh yeah, then there was that time I hit a vulture swooping down from some road kill.

Feathers everywhere.

Edited by Davis Lane
birds

Hit 3 skunks in one night driving back roads between Waco and Dallas to avoid I35 construction back in the 90s. They were staying warm on the center stripes i guess. Fortunately,  was driving a rental. Smelled horrible, kept checking under car to make sure no bodies were caught underneath.

Tarantulas, snakes, turtles, skunks, squirrels, possums, bunnies( about 6k cottontails around LBK,) buzzards, dove, quail, pheasant, owl( that sucked,) other various small birds, dog, coyote, bobcat, 1 little piggy, deer.  Missed a metric shit-ton of deer around Huntsville area.

I drive about 35k miles per year.  Never had a close call with a person though...

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

With squirrels, the Days of Thunder rule doesn't apply. You can't just pick a line and drive right through. They will seek out your tire, and find it.

Was driving behind someone in college when a squirrel ran out in front of them. It hunkered down in the middle of the lane and everything was good until it stuck its head up and the rear differential smashed its head and sent it somersaulting to the side of the road.

Riding with my roommate in his little taco truck in college we had an armadillo run out one night. Straddled it to avoid the hit. That was the night I found out armadillos will jump when they get scared. Caught the ranch hand dead center.

My mother was backing out of her driveway back before backup cameras were a thing. The neighbor kids were playing with their brand new puppy in their front yard and let it run out into the street. She slow rolled over it and turned it into a pancake right in front of said kids who were up to that point super excited about their brand new puppy.

My mother was backing out of her driveway back before backup cameras were a thing. The neighbor kids were playing with their brand new puppy in their front yard and let it run out into the street. She slow rolled over it and turned it into a pancake right in front of said kids who were up to that point super excited about their brand new puppy.

Yikes.

I almost smacked a possum last night. A bigun, too. Ran out in front of me and had a good angle going to the other side of the street but decided to double back and start watching my headlights. I swerved and braked to avoid him since I wasn't going that fast and no other cars were around. 

I was thinking about the general knowledge of it's generally safer to just drive through situations like that. But I'm not sure I want to hit something the size of a big housecat in a car that I haven't made a payment on yet. This way, Mr. Possum gets to go steal more cat food and screech at half-asleep housewives and I'm not picking bits of marsupial out of my suspension.

Outside of Abilene coming back from Wyoming several years ago I hit a buzzard that was late getting off the road kill.  Came off the front end, looked up and watched him go over the sunroof, then checked the mirror and watched him hit pavement.

The next summer, within a couple of miles of that spot, wife was behind the wheel and hit one.

A fairly large buck on I-90 east of Bozeman back in the no speed limit days.

Came up a hill and there he was standing in the middle of the freeway.  Slowed down(still doing mid 40's, but felt like a crawl) and got way to the right and the fucker turned tail and ran right into the drivers side bumper.  Did some good damage to the front left quarter panel, but somehow didn't shatter the headlight.  So for the next few days the front left headlight was knocked into a sort of hi-beam position at all times.  

Senior year of high school had a skunk run right out of the bushes and directly under front right tire.  My pick-up stunk for a long time.

I hit (actually, it hit me) a deer a few months back.  It was pretty young, not much taller than my front bumper.  No damage to the truck, but there was quite a bit of hair on my bumper and the valance beneath it.  I was following the wife on a 2 lane highway, going about 55, when it ran right between the vehicles.  Wife didn't even know that I had hit anything.

The usual (deer, hog, squirrel, possum, lots of armadillos) and one rare one which I still remember / regret to this day.  I hit a ring tail cat about 10 years ago on my way to work.  Love those little guys.  He darted out right as I was going over the low water crossing near my house, and I had nowhere to swerve.

During the rut about 15 years ago, I had a buck dart out (chasing poon I'm sure) in the early morning hours and slam into the side of my truck doing 65 mph.  Shattered the side view mirror and his antlers left a crease down the right side of the truck.  I turned around to see if he was dead, and he was long gone.  May have survived, and may have folded up in the brush off the side of the road.  

I also had a guy in a Honda Accord slam a big buck headed the other way once.  Real close to my house right before turning into my neighborhood.  I had the deer on a game cam and he was really nice by hill country standards.  I pulled over, and the dude in the Accord was beside himself and in a panic.  He car was banged up but driveable.  He was distraught because the deer was still alive but badly wounded just on the other side of the fence.  I had my pistol on me and put him down.  Not sure if that made the guy feel better or worse.  He was still a train wreck and didn't want to drive.

Most recently, my wife managed to hit a damn turkey in my truck.  We had to 86 our Colorado ski trip (arrived the day they closed the mountain due to COVID).  So, we decided to make a cannonball run home.  I drove all morning, and we switched in Albuquerque after lunch so I could get caught up on some work with the shit hitting the fan due to the Rona.  After turning off I-40, she managed to hit a turkey.  On a flat stretch of highway.  When we both saw him at least 500 yds ahead.  He flew right before impact, so instead of running over him, he exploded on the grill.  Needless to say, we switched back to me driving and the remainder of the trip was completely quiet.  

I haven't seen it posted here, roadrunner. Somewhere between Menard and Iraan. We were headed west, I had the cruise set to 80, and I saw him running on the east side. No problem, wife freaks, "oh look, be careful, that roadrunner might run out into the road." I didn't even take the car off cruise. Sure enough the idoit decides to run across the road as I got closer and he almost made it across. Clipped him with the right bumper, feathers and KFC parts everywhere. Maybe I should have slowed, but I didn't react quick enough when it ran across.

wile e coyote.PNG

Edited by Lone Star Horn

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

lulz.  I bet it must be frustrating to be an idiot. 

Same as an adult who says lulz 😂 😂😂 use more fake profiles to neg me you fucking loser 🤣🤣🤣 My god the more I post here I see why people can’t stand you, you have to be a grouchy old bald dude who hates life 😆😆

Edited by hundredTT

6 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

Same as an adult who says lulz 😂 😂😂 use more fake profiles to neg me you fucking loser 🤣🤣🤣 My god the more I post here I see why people can’t stand you, you have to be a grouchy old bald dude who hates life 😆😆

lulzzzzz

19 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

To be fair, after having lived this life a thousand times the reruns would make you a little grouchy too....