Animals you have ran over

hundredTT

Dogs(2 dammit), cat, armadillo ( too many to count), squirrels (too many to count), turtles (a few), 1 deer, many birds, countless sneks, and wait for it, wait for it.. the csb part.

When I was a senior in high school I was dating a girl who lived 18 miles out of town on her fathers farm.  After taking her home late on a Saturday night, drunk of course I saw something headed straight for my windshield.  Loud thump and I'm thinking with was that?  I made a u-turn and went back.  There was something in the road, something big.  I slowly rolled up on it keeping it in my head lights.  The biggest damned owl I had ever seen.  It wasn't messed up or anything, but I didn't want to leave it in the middle of the road.  So I reached down to grab it and heard the most pathetic painful squaking sound.  Shit it's suffering and I need to put it out of it's misery.  The only thing I had in the truck was a tire iron.  So I raised the iron and hit it over the head.  It was like hitting the softest plushest pillow in the world.  No damage, so I hit it a second and third time... nothing.  So by now I'm feeling guilty as hell so I picked it up and put it in the bed of the truck and went home.

The next morning I told my dad what happened and he said it's probably dead by now, or gone.  We went out to the truck and the owl was in the bed of the truck just blinking and walking around.  Dad said leave it alone, it will leave when it's ready.  Well that thing rode around in the back of the truck for 3-4 days.  Once when I went to the store I came out and it was sitting up on the edge of the bed.  When I opened the truck door it jumped back down in the bed for the ride home.  This went on for a couple more days, and then it was gone.

Still feel guilty sometimes.

Edit:. Earlier post reminded me.  Driving to Eden from Nac late one night, driving the vette, hit a damned skunk with the drivers side front tire.  Windows down, removable top off, hot damn worst stink I could ever have imagined.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hundredTT said:

Same as an adult who says lulz 😂 😂😂 use more fake profiles to neg me you fucking loser 🤣🤣🤣 My god the more I post here I see why people can’t stand you, you have to be a grouchy old bald dude who hates life 😆😆

His hemorrhoids have been on a tear lately.  Very painful and irritating.

6 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Driving to Eden from Nac late one night, driving the vette,

That has to qualify as an honorary "Highway to Hell."

Edited by slorch

One cool and crisp morning in the Texas hill country I was driving down FM XXXX and as it happens i found myself driving from the bottom of a small ridge up to the top of one as the sun was glistening upon it.   As i was taking in the scenery I spotted a snake that just entered the shoulder at the top of the ridge.   He was to my right and was about to slither across the road heading to my left.  Instinct took over and i punched it although i was already traveling at a pretty good rate.  My Chevy Silverado, at the time, arrived just at the moment his fat head was crossing the yellow shoulder stripe.  I aligned my passenger side wheels and ran him over.  The force was such that I can still hear the crunch of his head and the whip of the rest of his body slapping my fender.  As i looked in my rear view mirror I saw a body moving wildly attached to the most still, flat and pancaked head that was unable to move from the asphalt. 

Also, one evening as I was heading to a friends house I spotted a huge rat on a sidewalk, on my passenger side.  I remember thinking two things.  That is not a mouse but a rat and second that was a very odd place to see a rat.  As i drove right past it I hit the brakes and in my rear view mirror saw it start to cross the road.  I put it in reverse and punched it.  I didn't catch it on the road but my drivers side rear tire left a surprise for someone at the edge of their driveway.     

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Dogs(2 dammit), cat, armadillo ( too many to count), squirrels (too many to count), turtles (a few), 1 deer, many birds, countless sneks, and wait for it, wait for it.. the can part.

When I was a senior in high school I was dating a girl who lived 18 miles out of town on her fathers farm.  After taking her home late on a Saturday night, drunk of course I saw something headed straight for my windshield.  Loud thump and I'm thinking with was that?  I made a u-turn and went back.  There was something in the road, something big.  I slowly rolled up on it keeping it in my head lights.  The biggest damned owl I had ever seen.  It wasn't messed up or anything, but I didn't want to leave it in the middle of the road.  So I reached down to grab it and heard the most pathetic painful squaking sound.  Shit it's suffering and I need to put it out of it's misery.  The only thing I had in the truck was a tire iron.  So I raised the iron and hit it over the head.  It was like hitting the softest plushest pillow in the world.  No damage, so I hit it a second and third time... nothing.  So by now I'm feeling guilty as hell so I picked it up and put it in the bed of the truck and went home.

The next morning I told my dad what happened and he said it's probably dead by now, or gone.  We went out to the truck and the owl was in the bed of the truck just blinking and walking around.  Dad said leave it alone, it will leave when it's ready.  Well that thing rode around in the back of the truck for 3-4 days.  Once when I went to the store I came out and it was sitting up on the edge of the bed.  When I opened the truck door it jumped back down in the bed for the ride home.  This went on for a couple more days, and then it was gone.

Still feel guilty sometimes.

Edit:. Earlier post reminded me.  Driving to Eden from Nac late one night, driving the vette, hit a damned skunk with the drivers side front tire.  Windows down, removable top off, hot damn worst stink I could ever have imagined.

username does not check out

• Like 1

About 8 deer including two in one night on a ski trip. Dozens of jackrabbits, sneks, and squirrels. Worst was my neighbor's toy poodle that i backed over in my driveway at 11pm. That was rough. Then i got to dig a hole in west Austin limestone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

On 9/30/2020 at 9:48 AM, You don't know me said:

I hit (actually, it hit me) a deer a few months back.  It was pretty young, not much taller than my front bumper.  No damage to the truck, but there was quite a bit of hair on my bumper and the valance beneath it.  I was following the wife on a 2 lane highway, going about 55, when it ran right between the vehicles.  Wife didn't even know that I had hit anything.

Ok Jason. 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dakota-attorney-general-jason-ravnsbog-reported-hitting-deer-actually-killed-man-joe-boever/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, Born to Run said:

About 8 deer including two in one night on a ski trip. Dozens of jackrabbits, sneks, and squirrels. Worst was my neighbor's toy poodle that i backed over in my driveway at 11pm. That was rough. Then i got to dig a hole in west Austin limestone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

They don't sell trash bags in your HEB?

On 9/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

I haven't seen it posted here, roadrunner. Somewhere between Menard and Iraan. We were headed west, I had the cruise set to 80, and I saw him running on the east side. No problem, wife freaks, "oh look, be careful, that roadrunner might run out into the road." I didn't even take the car off cruise. Sure enough the idoit decides to run across the road as I got closer and he almost made it across. Clipped him with the right bumper, feathers and KFC parts everywhere. Maybe I should have slowed, but I didn't react quick enough when it ran across.

wile e coyote.PNG

The Roadrunner was a cocky prick. Good riddance. 

I hit (actually, it hit me) a deer a few months back.  It was pretty young, not much taller than my front bumper.  No damage to the truck, but there was quite a bit of hair on my bumper and the valance beneath it.  I was following the wife on a 2 lane highway, going about 55, when it ran right between the vehicles.  Wife didn't even know that I had hit anything.
She didn't see it, we were texting.

This was a weird one that I still can’t explain. I was a passenger in a car going up 35 to Austin back when I was just out of college. We were coming back from tubing.

Hit something brown, hard. Pulled off the highway and it was a horse. The car wasn’t completely wrecked like you’d typically get with a deer. I guess it was a glancing blow. But the horse itself seems like it had exploded into bits. It was bizarre. We had to clean horse bits and hair from the grill. And why was a horse on 35? I have no idea.

18 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Buzzard.  Indian Nation Turnpike with a posted speed of 85.  This was in Spring season when the terrapins are on the move and they also provide a buffet along the highway.  The buzzard was late to fly and cracked my windshield in its final act.  Good times.

I didn't hit the buzzard but he barfed on my windshield as I passed under him. It would have smelled better if I had hit it.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
Blizzard buzzard same same

On 9/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, hundredTT said:

Was driving down the street and a squirrel just stopped in middle of the road and decided to end it. First time in 32 years of life I have killed a rodent by vehicle, which is surprising. What have you killed? 

Squirrel? We have no deal with them!

• Like 1

Once on my street out near Hamilton Pool I hit a deer, twice.  I was in a Honda Civic only doing about 25 or 30, saw one on the side of the road and while I was looking at it another crossed in front of me. I braked and its head hit my hood hard enough to leave a little dent, it flew forward and to the side a couple yards, and I let off the brake just as it got up and scrambled in front of my car again.  It ran off after the second hit, but had to be pretty sore.

2 dogs.  Both times under similar conditions and circumstances.  Driving back from out of state on a state highway at night.

Technically have hit one deer.  Coming into Martindale from Luling around sunset.  Came over a rise and there was a deer in my lane standing near the shoulder.  It was looking in the other direction.  There is no one coming for a mile or two so, I let of the gas and start going left.  As I a start to go left, the deer, still looking in the opposite direction, starts to walk left.  He takes a step, I compensate... He takes another step, I compensate.  Rinse, Repeat.  At some point, I realize I am about to run out of road so I make the decision to go back to the right.  I knew as soon as I made the decision, there was going to be contact.  So I make a "wince" face and turn back towards the middle.  I hear a faint thud and slight rubbing sound.  I look back and the deer is looking around like "WTF?"  

Later at home, I could tell I had just bumped it with my side view mirror.  It also knocked a streak of dirt of my car.

Hit a deer on the interstate going 60 after braking. It did a 360 in the air, landed in the grassy median, then took off running. No real damage to my Yukon.

Hit a big buck on a two-lane highway at night. It’s head hit my driver’s side mirror, and it’s body spun and slammed against the side of the Yukon, only damaging the mirror. I got out and looked for the deer, but no luck. Drove by the same spot the next day, and the parts from my mirror were right next to a concrete culvert I didn’t even know was there. I should’ve died falling into that culvert in the pitch dark.

I’ve hit many pheasants. My dad always said to never honk at them because they have bird brains and will stop crossing the road to stare at you. He hit one in the grill of our Pontiac Catalina Safari station wagon when I was a kid. It unlatched the hood which wrapped around the windshield. He borrowed some barbed wire  from a fence to secure the hood back down.

I hit a hen pheasant that did more damage to the Yukon than the deer. It flew straight at me, but I thought it hit the bumper. I took the family to Zesto when we got back to town, and pulled right up to the front where people were in line, staring at us. I got out to see a pheasant’s ass sticking out of my grill. I should’ve taken a pic.

I came across a cat that was still alive after being hit by another vehicle. To the horror of my family, I turned around to put it out of it’s misery. I’m a softie at heart. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Coming back over the border after a scuba trip into Mexico, late at night, had just passed the border checkpoint, came over a rise and there was this whole family of javelina crossing the road. No idea if I hit any, couldn't see anything in rear view mirror as it was pitch dark, but there was shit smeared all the way down the running board on one side of the car when I looked the next morning.

Unusual deer story:

Headed home on south mopac right by Barton Creek Mall back in '99. The deer broadsided my '95 F150 driver side door.  There was no way I could stop and turn around to see what I had hit, or rather what hit me.  Imagine my relief when I got home and found a large dent and lots of deer hair stuck to the trim.  I got a few stink eyes from the auto repair guys until I showed them the hair....then high 5s all around.

Not me but a friend of a friend (might be urban legend)1980's: Buzzard went through the windshield of Honda Accord and was still alive and managed to hurl up road kill all over the inside of the car.  The interior was replaced but the smell lingered.  Interior was removed and the inside of the car was burned somehow and then interior was replaced but the smell remained. Then car was totaled by insurance.

Anybody ever hit a porcupine?  I have seen two dead on the side of the road in southwest Austin over the last 10 years or so.