"Best in Show" is 20 years old

Gil Bang

This is a great dating app filter. If she likes this movie, she’s probably legit.

Only woman I’ve ever truly loved we watched it the first night we hung out.

“You go back and you get Busy Bee!”

“How many years ago did he poke me?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fred Willard killed in it

Now tell me, which one of these dogs would you want to have as your wide receiver on your football team?

He went for her like she's made outta ham.

Look at Scott. He is prancing along with the dog. Man, I tell you something, if you live in my neighborhood and you're dressed like that, you'd better be a hotel doorman.

• Hook 'Em 2

This movie is aging so beautifully.  And I've really started to appreciate the subtle non-verbal acting that's even funnier than the dialogue. 

Watch the busy bee scene when Parker Posey goes to the shop.  When the shopkeeper tells her the dog won't know the difference of the colors of the stripes.  Right before she loses her shit, watch the facial expressions they both give each other.  It's the funniest non-verbal moment in the whole movie. 

Anyway, back to the genius of Fred Willard, RIP:

Why do they breed 'em so small?  

I only watched this movie recently. It is hilarious but still hit a little too close to home. My girlfriend, now wife had a grand champion show dog that we had to maintain for his last 3 shows for the breeder. His dad was the dog from Cesar’s dog food. She got a ‘deal’ on him because of this so the dog ‘only’ cost $1800 instead of $3500. For a dog. 
still can’t laugh it some of the best jokes because they remind me too much of reality 

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

I only watched this movie recently. It is hilarious but still hit a little too close to home. My girlfriend, now wife had a grand champion show dog that we had to maintain for his last 3 shows for the breeder. His dad was the dog from Cesar’s dog food. She got a ‘deal’ on him because of this so the dog ‘only’ cost $1800 instead of $3500. For a dog. 
still can’t laugh it some of the best jokes because they remind me too much of reality 

This is true.  I have two different clients who show dogs and they both say this movie is a lot closer to reality than people realize.  Most show dog people are bat shit crazy

25 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

This is true.  I have two different clients who show dogs and they both say this movie is a lot closer to reality than people realize.  Most show dog people are bat shit crazy

its dance moms with animals...

great movie.  we need more folks to make fun of the subtle idiocy of american life. 

1 hour ago, usmc0331horn said:

I've banged a lot of waitresses in my day, but you, you were the best.

You don't forget the best.

I'm not wearing undeeeerweaaaar

And this movie has to be top 2 Guest roles ever. Not sure anything tops it other than TPB.

She'd say, Harlan Pepper you quit namin nuts in there!

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Fred Willard killed in it

Now tell me, which one of these dogs would you want to have as your wide receiver on your football team?

He went for her like she's made outta ham.

Look at Scott. He is prancing along with the dog. Man, I tell you something, if you live in my neighborhood and you're dressed like that, you'd better be a hotel doorman.

And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten.

Unpopular opinions thread is that way ------>

Waiting for Guffman and a Mighty Wind are tied for second place, but "Best in Show" is #1.  Always and forever.  But they are all the beautiful children of Guest.  

Hey man, "What the Buck" started it.  ;)

I can't remember who the interviewer was, it was somebody on PBS.  But Guest was on there about 15 years ago or so...and it was a wonderful behind the curtain look into how he curates his cast and lets them roam free, a la Larry David.  The interviewer really didn't understand until the very end, and the interview wasn't all that funny despite it being mostly Guest talking for 80% of it, but it was incredible insight into how he crafts what he does and let's the people roam free within his comedy ranch of the mind.  

12 hours ago, deadshank said:

Years ago on a rainy Sunday, GHWB (and his secret service detail) were the only customers, along with me,  in the Blockbuster at Chimney Rock and Woodway.  

GHWB pulled Best in Show off the stacks and was checking out in front of me.  The goofball working the counter had no clue who he was, requested GHWB’s Blockbuster card and busted GHWB for past due fees. 

The manager happened to be there and was not only horrified about what was unfolding before him but was also very apologetic to GHWB about the ordeal and waived the late fees sending El Presidente in his way.  

BTW, GHWB had a giant George Constanza wallet completely stuffed with stuff and looking like a Carnegie Deli Reuben sandwich. 

/csb

Love the beautiful reminiscence but did he rent Best In Show or what?

Christopher Guest should receive a special Oscar for his body of work. If for no other reason than writing "Did you fuck my wife?" into Waiting for Guffman.  The casts - Magnifique!

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Waiting for Guffman and a Mighty Wind are tied for second place, but "Best in Show" is #1.  Always and forever.  But they are all the beautiful children of Guest.  

While technically not a Guess movie since he didn’t direct,  he did some of the writing and was in the cast of Spinal Tap. That movie is best in class. 

well yeah, that goes without saying.  But those that he kinda "curated" himself from outline writing/producing/directing/and the critical-CASTING, etc..........that true series is Waiting For Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, For Your Consideration, and Mascots.  I love "This is Spinal Tap" and it has many thematics in common with other Guest films, but it's really on its own for a number of reasons.  The other 5 are in their own "cinematic universe", IMHO.  I think we're in agreement, anything he touches is comedic gold.  

IMO, the best thing he ever showed up in, in any capacity, was "Best in Show"...second place is a robust, hilarious, and joyous debate and "This is Spinal Tap" certainly belongs.  The man's accidental music career is better than most's with purpose.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Waiting for Guffman and a Mighty Wind are tied for second third place, but "Best in Show" is #1 2.  Spinal Tap is #1.  Always and forever.  But they are all the beautiful children of Guest.  

I have corrected your mistake.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have corrected your mistake.

Again, we all love "This is Spinal Tap"...I just don't include that in the Guest Liturgy simply because he wasn't a director or producer of it.  He wrote most it and of course has a hilarious and brilliant role in it.  But the other 5 pics ("waiting for guffman" through to "mascots")...those are his little babies.  He of course has his brilliant fingerprints on other wonderful films like "A Princess Bride", et. al.