Who has simply safe or Ring for home security?

Wondering the pluses and negatives of this. Have Vivint right now with some minor equipment issues. Ring Security is 10 a month while vivint is going in dry at 60. Monitoring is a funny word in the security business, but I digress.

Looking for any input. I have innernets. All I want is an app and for the product to call fire/police. I dont need cameras and auto door locks.

We started with the Ring doorbell, I believe the Pro model, and were very happy with it. We then got broken into a few months down the road. The video from the doorbell helped identify the guy, and luckily the police were able to locate our stolen property (pawn shop) and find/arrest the perp.

That break-in triggered adding the alarm system. I found it super easy to set up. I did it myself in probably 45 minutes. I pay the annual fee for monitoring at once, so it's $100 per year for all my devices (seems like a no brainer vs. $10 a month. I think you even get a prorated refund if you have to cancel for some reason).

We have been pleased with it, and thankfully the only time it has been tested was when we forgot our maid was coming while we were out of town, and she set it off. The monitoring service was very quick to call both me and my wife (I was on a work call so didn't answer), and obviously it was great to be able to turn off the alarm easily from my phone.

I looked into traditional alarms before going with Ring. I couldn't believe the upfront hardware and ongoing monitoring costs. I can't really imagine what they'd be offering beyond what I'm getting with Ring for much cheaper.

The only con that I'll note is it seems like the connection to the video stream on the doorbell has slowed. For the first few months it seemed almost instant, i.e. you got a notification of motion, click the banner and you're connected to the feed/speaker/microphone in less than 3 seconds. Now it seems like there is always some buffering involved. Still relatively fast, but sometimes it seems closer to 10 seconds. No change to our internet service/speed. I feel like it happened after an App update, but I also wonder if they lure you into buying the plan by optimizing performance during the free trial period somehow.

We don't have any indoor cameras, so I don't really care much about what the companies do with our footage.

Happy to answer any other specific questions.

13 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

No one with experience with Simply Safe? They’ve been advertising online like a mofo. I’d like to put up 3 or 4 outdoor cameras and a couple door and window sensors. 

That is what I was looking for especially.  Am ad agency can make a pile of shit appealing, just wanted some IRL feedback. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. I just got a quote for Vivint and although the equipment is expensive, a few of the online reviews like PCMag said they were tops, but holy shit they have a 1 star Yelp rating with over 500 reviews. That’s hard to do.

I’m looking for an integrated security monitoring, cameras, door bell, smart thermostat, garage door control and flood/ leak detection. I was drawn to one system for everything, but may look at piecing it together.

We have ring. I like it, and it seems to work well. Was alittle bit of a pain to install, but only because the guy who installed the last system left the cabinet all fucked up. Not super impressed with the ring 2 doorbell tho. It’s OK, but seems like others I see are clearer/faster than mine. 

We have ring. I like it, and it seems to work well. Was alittle bit of a pain to install, but only because the guy who installed the last system left the cabinet all fucked up. Not super impressed with the ring 2 doorbell tho. It’s OK, but seems like others I see are clearer/faster than mine. 

Thanks. Ring looks like the winner. Cheap monthly monitoring, and a diverse set of hardware options, plus I just don’t see amazon walking away from the hardware development. Crazy to see how hard Vivint’s customers hate them. There are reddit conspiracies that Vivint buys user names to plant rosy reviews.

11 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Thanks. Ring looks like the winner. Cheap monthly monitoring, and a diverse set of hardware options, plus I just don’t see amazon walking away from the hardware development. Crazy to see how hard Vivint’s customers hate them. There are reddit conspiracies that Vivint buys user names to plant rosy reviews.

I have done plenty of negative reviews and tweets on Vivint, and just waiting in my contract to finish.  Run far away from them.

I have a whole Ring system I installed. Happy for the most part. Ring doorbell is good. We got one of the advanced models.

Indoor ring cameras are good. Outdoor powered cameras are good.

Solar powered and battery powered cameras suck ass. They don’t ever motion sense properly. I think it’s a fundamental design flaw that they just can’t get battery life with motion detection so they just pretend to work and hope you don’t notice. Blatant movements like a nuclear blast are caught on camera. A man stabbing a llama would probably not register.

• Like 1