Borat Returns

SizzleChest

You don't ask for the dressing room woman's number and address before you tuck your dress shirt into your suitpants?  

Obviously you don't shop at the same Stein Mart as I do.  

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is funny.  Funnier than anything Borat has ever done.  And Borat is a funny MF.  

Sorry, I am an optimist. I know it won't as too many politicians get celebrated for being disgusting individuals but I can still hold out hope that one would feel shame for their actions and step down.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I didn't have time to watch the whole thing this morning but I FF to the Rudy G part. That was gross. Anyone who tries to say he was just tucking his shirt is full of shit.

Walks into bedroom with young reporter after repeatedly patting her leg etc

Puts his hand on her lower back

Brings drink into room with him

Asks for her number/name

Lets her remove his microphone while sitting on bed

Proceeds to then lay back on bed while putting his hand in his pants

Just such a gross scene watching his wrinkled baggy ass get flirty with this young woman. I hope this ends his career in politics etc

Maybe discuss this in the Rudy Guiliani thread and not a thread where people are trying to discuss the movie.

Movie was meh. Overall a waste of time. Cringe-worthy scenes included the moon blood dance and the abortion counselor. First was funnier and had more shock value. Spent a lot of time wondering how staged many parts were and how much the "unwitting" participants were aware/paid (like the 2 Texas rednecks). Very political with left slant, which is funny at times but tired overall. The Giuliani climax (pun intended) also felt very contrived and edited. Regarding that scene, you'll see what you want to see, just like with today's political BS but it was obviously intentionally slanted to make you believe the worst.

One cool thing was seeing him at the CPAC in early March in DC. I was at the same hotel for a different conference and was probably in close proximity to borat at some point. Also seeing what Pence was saying (15 cases in the US, we are ready for it) was strange and sad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course it wasn’t as funny as the first. That would’ve been an impossible task. But, it was a more ... thought provoking? movie at times. It touched on a ton of issues other than the big ones already mentioned. The shit he pulled off is actually pretty amazing. Getting in and out of CPAC without anyone finding out who he was. Obviously Secret Service was pretty lax to not stop a guy in a fat suit and mask. And getting into the room with Rudy when there was clearly security guarding him.

The only scene that really puzzles me is the synagogue scene. Can’t imagine what the women were told before Cohen came in dressed like that. But the non-abortion doctor doing that on camera and presumably not reporting it to the police, and the boob doctor basically saying he would make a pass at her if her dad wasn’t in the room were pretty jaw dropping.

Overall, I’d say it’s definitely worth watching. Hell, I’ll probably watch it again to catch any jokes I missed

• Hook 'Em 1

I also spent way more time wondering about the logistics, deception, and authenticity of things than I wish I did, especially where it's just completely out of the ordinary to have a camera like the car scene with the empathetic babysitter, the synagogue, etc.

I would love to have seen the "haha you got punked" footage from the debutante ball. 

I agree that the Giuliani thing was misrepresented earlier in the week. He was being a lech, but I don't think it's unquestionably clear that he was priming the pump. And whether he was or wasn't really doesn't make much ultimate difference either way, at least in my opinion. 

Entertaining, but Mah Wiiiiif fell asleep pretty early on, and I didn't laugh hard enough to wake her up at any point.  

20201024_001629.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Very naice.

22 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The only scene that really puzzles me is the synagogue scene. Can’t imagine what the women were told before Cohen came in dressed like that.

That was the most clearly staged part of the entire movie.  Especially considering there was an bonus footage attached to the movie where they obviously spoke more on the holocaust denial hoax

It's different from the first one in part because this had to have been so much harder to pull off.  I thought the funniest bit was the beginning in Houston when Borat is being chased by people who recognize him.

A few other observations:

1) There are some crimes/ethical violations committed right there on tape.  Most states have laws requiring various professionals to report domestic/child abuse.  So when the non-abortion counselor just there while Borat talks about putting a baby in his daughter--he needs to be on the phone with police.

And even if it's not a criminal thing, I'm sure it's an ethical violation.  That's what you're looking at with the plastic surgeon.  His state's medical board needs to be looking into that, because he definitely expressed a willingness to make sexy time with an underage patient.

2) The daughter at the deb ball in Macon--"fucking gross."  That got me laughing.  That was funnier than the actual moon dance.  Well, not really--the guy who kept clapping during the moon dance--now that was hilarious.

3) For all the talk about it being a "left-wing" movie, I thought it really humanized the Qanon brothers from Washington.  I mean, how many of us would've taken in a stranger during the Covid Times?  Obviously, I don't dig on their politics.  They're deranged.  But they were good guys (at least to a white guy).

4) The security breakdowns are absolutely jaw-dropping.  I can't fathom how they let him into a room with VPOTUS.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Overall, I’d say it’s definitely worth watching. Hell, I’ll probably watch it again to catch any jokes I missed

The thing that gets me about both movies, although it's been a while since I saw the first, but always, it's the little things he tosses in, that are easy to miss.  During the scripted scenes, the writing is top notch.  They will cram more little jokes into a 5-minute scene than a lot of comedies will do in 30 minutes, and a lot of those comedies will linger on some funny line, just to make sure you got it.  With both Borats, they assume that either you got it the moment he said it, or you're never going to get it.

Little things like when he stumbles upon his daughter at the beginning, and says something like "I have a non-male son?"  The persona he crafted is just amazing, especially when you hear him in interviews.

He really is an amazing actor, because he just rolls through a ton of little things like that, and it's effortless on film.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

The thing that gets me about both movies, although it's been a while since I saw the first, but always, it's the little things he tosses in, that are easy to miss.  During the scripted scenes, the writing is top notch.  They will cram more little jokes into a 5-minute scene than a lot of comedies will do in 30 minutes, and a lot of those comedies will linger on some funny line, just to make sure you got it.  With both Borats, they assume that either you got it the moment he said it, or you're never going to get it.

Little things like when he stumbles upon his daughter at the beginning, and says something like "I have a non-male son?"  The persona he crafted is just amazing, especially when you hear him in interviews.

He really is an amazing actor, because he just rolls through a ton of little things like that, and it's effortless on film.

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I also spent way more time wondering about the logistics, deception, and authenticity of things than I wish I did, especially where it's just completely out of the ordinary to have a camera like the car scene with the empathetic babysitter, the synagogue, etc.

There was an interview/comments from the police department that had the cops roll up on him in the truck with her strapped to the top.  The 911 caller would not give name or address, and the cops noticed there were two cars strategically positioned.  They also saw that the baby seat wasn't really strapped to the top of the truck.  They knew right away it was Borat, and they played along with it.

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I agree that the Giuliani thing was misrepresented earlier in the week. He was being a lech, but I don't think it's unquestionably clear that he was priming the pump. And whether he was or wasn't really doesn't make much ultimate difference either way, at least in my opinion. 

Yeah, doesn't matter what he was doing with this shirt, he asked for her number, he had his hands on her, and he was more than eager to go have drinks in the bedroom with her.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

There are some crimes/ethical violations committed right there on tape.  Most states have laws requiring various professionals to report domestic/child abuse.  So when the non-abortion counselor just there while Borat talks about putting a baby in his daughter--he needs to be on the phone with police.

Don't forget the dude willing to nail her back up in the crate at the beginning.  That's some prime human trafficking right there.  But all of them get to say they knew it was Borat and were in on it.

And I'm a horrible person, I figured she replaced the monkey with herself, but I laughed when it showed her with bloodied lips, because I knew right away what had happened.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, doesn't matter what he was doing with this shirt, he asked for her number, he had his hands on her, and he was more than eager to go have drinks in the bedroom with her.

And?  What is the significance?

I started thinking some parts are staged and then I remembered how dumb and gullible some people are and I think it’s probably not but just edited and they tried a few times and failed before they found the right marks.   If they paid anyone I think they would legally have to list them in the credits and none were.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I started thinking some parts are staged and then I remembered how dumb and gullible some people are and I think it’s probably not but just edited and they tried a few times and failed before they found the right marks.   If they paid anyone I think they would legally have to list them in the credits and none were.

Yeah. Plus almost all of the stuff from the first one was confirmed as being genuine reactions once peopled started asking and poking around, so I'm pretty willing to beleive right off the bat that most of it was genuine the 2nd time.

I think the guy that "delivered" the crate with Tutar in it was an actor. The Jewish ladies might have been warned ahead of time but I kind of doubt they knew what he was going to come in looking like. The 2 Trumpers he lives with were probably clued in a bit more than the others. Outside of that I can't think of any that they would have needed to stage (outside the village scenes in Kazhakstan)

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I started thinking some parts are staged and then I remembered how dumb and gullible some people are and I think it’s probably not but just edited.  If they paid anyone I think they would legally have to list them in the credits and none were.

this is a law in the library of congress?

all the people involved in movie signed NDA

On 10/25/2020 at 8:04 AM, atomheartbevo said:

great post. SBC is tremendous. He is easily one of the top entertainers of our generation. You nailed it here. His persona for Borat is almost permanently funny. Its uncanny. And its still going after all these years. 

i thought it was okay -- occasional laughs/cringing chuckles, but nowhere near as funny as the original.  Had fairly high hopes, so the movie was somewhat of a letdown.  Way too much "foreign language" dialog with little or no context.  The "Wuhan flu" song footage was a hoot, and Giuliani came off like an unhinged lech.  

On 10/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah. Plus almost all of the stuff from the first one was confirmed as being genuine reactions once peopled started asking and poking around, so I'm pretty willing to beleive right off the bat that most of it was genuine the 2nd time.

I think the guy that "delivered" the crate with Tutar in it was an actor. The Jewish ladies might have been warned ahead of time but I kind of doubt they knew what he was going to come in looking like. The 2 Trumpers he lives with were probably clued in a bit more than the others. Outside of that I can't think of any that they would have needed to stage (outside the village scenes in Kazhakstan)

The guy at the cell phone store had to be in on it because they brought him back in the Kazhakstan scene in the end. The initial interaction with him could have easily been genuine and they just came clean and had him act for the last bit though.

I do think that most of it is real and and not staged in any significant way. Some of the stuff like Giuliani and CPAC they only get one bit at the apple, but for most of this stuff they can just get as much footage as they need until they get something usable.