Borat Returns

SizzleChest

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Some of the stuff like Giuliani and CPAC they only get one bit at the apple, but for most of this stuff they can just get as much footage as they need until they get something usable.

There was some article on the first one, and it probably applies to the second one, where they discuss that plenty of attempts at various things/gags didn't pan out, and were left on the cutting room floor.   Kind of like "for every funny scene you saw on the screen, there were multiple attempts that fell flat, either because the unsuspecting people weren't going to put up with their shit, or they knew it was some kind of gag from the start."  I'm assuming the same applied to this, specially since plenty recognized him as Borat, including the cops who responded to his daughter being on the roof.

It was a guy pretending to be a guy who was pretending to be a third guy, and because they didn't understand that---they threatened to shoot him?  We're trying to kill fictional characters now?  Fucking perfect for 2020.

I wanna party with that first fat woman that jumps over the security rail.  She has no idea what's going on, she hears/sees armed people behind her screaming and chanting, and probably has no idea who the guy on the stage really is.  Without flinching, her first instinct is to barrel roll over the top of the barricades and charge the stage, and just start swinging on people.  That's a broad that has started a dance hall brawl or nine.  She'll be elected county sheriff before too long.  

read an article about which scenes were real and which were staged.  most of the "real" scenes were shot under a different premise. 

real:  

- QA brothers.  SBC had to stay in character 24 hours a day for the entire 5 days he was with them.  there's some uncertainty as to how much they were eventually let into the know, as they do show up on the credits as co-writers for the song he performed.  also that rally he went to where he performed as country steve was set up and paid for in part by SBC under the guise of a fake PAC, which is how he got billed as country steve.

- plastic surgeon.  he's a doctor in dallas.  

- insta influencer - she was told they were shooting a netflix documentary.  

- debutante ball (kinda) - they were told a documentary was being filmed about a european family adjusting to life and traditions in the US.  participants were screened and tested on how much they knew about their knowledge of pop culture.  they were all paid $100.

- pence - the realest gag.  SBC hid in a bathroom for five hours to make sure he was able to get in.  

- giuliani - that was gross.  

- crisis preg center - probably real, as they've refused to comment

staged:

- the temple scene.  the two women talked to SBC beforehand and they knew what he was going to do.  

unknown:

- brian - the store is in mesquite, but no one knows if brian was in on it.  

- babysitter.  no one can find info on her.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

I’m confused why any of these people would agree to have their faces shown or be included in the movie. Not to mention there’s a camera guy, no way.

Don’t they have to consent?

If you sign a release beforehand there’s almost nothing you can do to prevent it.

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

read an article about which scenes were real and which were staged.  most of the "real" scenes were shot under a different premise. 

real:  

- QA brothers.  SBC had to stay in character 24 hours a day for the entire 5 days he was with them.  there's some uncertainty as to how much they were eventually let into the know, as they do show up on the credits as co-writers for the song he performed.  also that rally he went to where he performed as country steve was set up and paid for in part by SBC under the guise of a fake PAC, which is how he got billed as country steve.

- plastic surgeon.  he's a doctor in dallas.  

- insta influencer - she was told they were shooting a netflix documentary.  

- debutante ball (kinda) - they were told a documentary was being filmed about a european family adjusting to life and traditions in the US.  participants were screened and tested on how much they knew about their knowledge of pop culture.  they were all paid $100.

- pence - the realest gag.  SBC hid in a bathroom for five hours to make sure he was able to get in.  

- giuliani - that was gross.  

- crisis preg center - probably real, as they've refused to comment

staged:

- the temple scene.  the two women talked to SBC beforehand and they knew what he was going to do.  

unknown:

- brian - the store is in mesquite, but no one knows if brian was in on it.  

- babysitter.  no one can find info on her.

thanks for sharing. this is incredible. 

one thing at a time Judy!

9 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

I’m confused why any of these people would agree to have their faces shown or be included in the movie. Not to mention there’s a camera guy, no way.

Some of these people are constantly uploading videos of themselves to social media these days, so somebody filming is not that weird.

Have you not been to a lot of live events in the last 10 years?  Before COVID-19, literally half of the events that I walked into be they sporting events, concerts, plays, fundraisers, political events, conferences, panels, festivals, etc.  they were smothered in signs that basically alerted you to the fact that by passing a certain point—-you were agreeing/conceding that your image could be used and recorded for whatever purposes were laid out.  Now if they end up using you specifically in a closeup or interview or your voice becomes the main audio for a minute, they will take you aside and get a signed letter.  But most of the time, it’s simply a “notice to all who enter here...”  I literally used to see a handful of those every single week of my life for the last decade.  I just assumed everybody knew what those were.  
I’m guessing both Borat movie and the swing joints I patronize; had those signs in abundance. 

Borat has some deep pockets! Sacha Baron Cohen, the star and producer of the recently debuted sequel sensation “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm,” has donated $100,000 to benefit the Oklahoma City community of Jeanise Jones, the beloved babysitter from the movie. As first reported by People, the funds will be distributed by the Ebenezer Baptist Church at Jones’ request, and have been earmarked for essential needs like shelter and food.

Jones benefited this week from a GoFundMe campaign set up by the church’s pastor, Pastor Derrick Scobey, to compensate Jones, who plays a pivotal role in the film’s finale as the babysitter to Borat’s daughter Tutar (played by breakout actress Maria Bakalova).

“I was blown away but not surprised because I was told about what type of heart this man has,” Scobey told People of Sacha Baron Cohen’s donation. “Maybe it’s a little risqué, some of the things in the movie, but he has a good heart.” Scobey said that the money won’t benefit the church directly, but will instead aid a community struggling with ice storms and power outages.

“While all these people around the world are loving how she’s the moral compass of the movie, she’s sitting here serving people in the dark and in the cold,” Scobey told People. “This is who we are. This is what we do for our community, and we love our community.”

- ADVERTISEMENT -

The outpouring of support for Jones arrives after she recently gave an interview to the New York Post where she said she feels “betrayed” by the “Borat 2” filmmaking team and that she was led to believe that she was participating in a real documentary about a teenage girl being groomed to marry a rich man. Jones said she had no idea the situation was manufactured for the “Borat 2” storyline, and added that she spent weeks worried about Tutar, who she assumed was an actual person being groomed.

“I’m feeling [Tutar is] from the Third World and that kind of stuff does happen where they sell women,” Jones told The Post. “I’m thinking this is for real so I felt kind of betrayed by it…We were concerned. We were up there praying for her and asking God to help her and we were doing what we thought was the Christian thing to do.”

Jones landed the part in “Borat 2” because of her ties to the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Oklahoma City, which the production used to cast the role.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:29 PM, HoustonFrog said:

But what about the two doctors? I simply don’t understand how that can be real. Or the fax guy? The moment someone talks to me with another person videoing I’m out in a split second

There's no way the fax guy wasn't in on it.  Borat just happened to be in the fax store when a news story came on TV that conveniently moved the plot forward where he wanted it to go?

1 minute ago, Tom said:

There's no way the fax guy wasn't in on it.  Borat just happened to be in the fax store when a news story came on TV that conveniently moved the plot forward where he wanted it to go?

That was edited in, during post-production.  Angle was just slightly off of the video versus the TV.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That was edited in, during post-production.  Angle was just slightly off of the video versus the TV.

No kidding?  I missed that.  Damn, that makes it even funnier then.  I thought it was still funny thinking it was scripted while watching it.

But what about the two doctors? I simply don’t understand how that can be real. Or the fax guy? The moment someone talks to me with another person videoing I’m out in a split second

Or the lady who makes him go get $71 in cash or whatever.

I’m sure a lot of it was staged but it was still pretty funny. Not as good as the first one, and the daughter was great.

• 4 months later...