Champions League 2020 - 2021

sidis

On 3/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, Bone3421 said:

Neutral on the game today but I will say the away goal shouldn't count in extra time as they never have to play extra time in the first leg....not sure of a fair way to handle it but away goal seems wrong as only one team has chance of that in 2nd leg(extra time)

Yes, that rule sucks. Away goals should only count during the 90 regulation minutes home and away. If they want to spice up extra time and avoid more PK’s than bring back the golden goal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I always thought the golden goal added more excitement and tension, but apparently not everyone agrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_goal

Abolition

Although both the golden goal and silver goal had their fans, both were also widely perceived as failed experiments. The golden goal in particular had not brought about more active and attacking play as originally intended and instead led to more cautious play along with furious angry reactions from a lot of players on the losing side, while there was also confusion about when events could choose among several different extra time rules.[11] The golden goal in the Euro 96 final was controversial, as the Czechs, who were on the losing side argued that the Germans' winning goal was offside. The silver goal has been called illogical in that it denies the losing team the chance of saving the match simply by virtue of when the goal is scored, a point best illustrated in the Euro 2004 semi-final: if the Greek goal had been scored in the first minute of the second half of extra time, the Czechs would have had nearly 15 minutes to attempt to score the equaliser. Furthermore, one team could benefit unfairly from the conditions, such as if a strong wind aided one side.[12]

In February 2004, the IFAB announced that, after Euro 2004, both the golden goal and silver goal methods would be removed from the Laws of the Game. Since the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, the golden goal has never been used in the event of a drawn match during the knockout stage,[13] as FIFA restored the original rules: in the event of a drawn game after the original 90 minutes, two straight 15-minute periods of extra time are played. If scores remain level, the winner is decided by a penalty shoot-out.[14]

The golden goal rule is still utilised in NCAA soccer championship tournaments. The championship games of the 1995, 1996, 2002, and 2013 women's tournaments were decided by a golden goal; this situation also happened in the men's tournament in 2017.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Golden goal is cool but these guys already play so many minutes. You'd end up with some crazy long matches.

My interpretation of it would be the game ends at 120 minutes if no team scores a goal and then PK’s happen. It would only shorten games not prolong them. 

World Cup/Euro rules are not comparable to CL because we’re discussing the current away goals rule which doesn’t apply to an international 1 legged tie. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

If Atleti goes out, that kinda leaves nothing but wide open attacking teams left?

Correct me if I’m wrong but most of the teams left look to be the pressing attack teams.

Even Madrid of the three peat years were an absorb and counter team. This year they aren’t that for sure.

Except Bayern who is basically the 99ovr team no one is allowed to pick in FIFA

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure most of you will be happy to hear that Ramos will miss both legs of the LFC tie with a calf injury he picked up with Spain...

And he’ll miss el Classico between the two UCL legs

That’s pretty much death for Madrid, Varane is a shadow of his past self this season and neither Nacho nor Militao have impressed this season at CB