Champions League 2020 - 2021

sidis

4 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

ehh, CBS Sports Network. Not sure if that real tv or not. No word yet if Gus Johnson will be broadcasting the final. 

i'm seeing it's on big CBS.  so free tv.  i hope that's correct.  although i get CBS Sports Network on YouTubeTV.

Saturday, May 29

Match Time (ET) TV channel Streaming
TBD vs. TBD 3 p.m. CBS Paramount+, fuboTV (7-day free trial)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/champions-league-2021-schedule-channel-watch-in-usa/1ckbw02nmx5131aqqp4csx7xwc#:~:text=The Champions League final will,the semifinal and final matches.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i'm seeing it's on big CBS.  so free tv.  i hope that's correct.  although i get CBS Sports Network on YouTubeTV.

Saturday, May 29

Match Time (ET) TV channel Streaming
TBD vs. TBD 3 p.m. CBS Paramount+, fuboTV (7-day free trial)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/champions-league-2021-schedule-channel-watch-in-usa/1ckbw02nmx5131aqqp4csx7xwc#:~:text=The Champions League final will,the semifinal and final matches.

It is on CBS.

”America’s Most-Watched Network”

Same as the Men’s NCAA Basketball Final. 

Same as The Masters.

C B S

It might not be the sexiest final since these two play each other on Saturday but it's certainly the matchup of the two best teams. City's just a machine and Chelsea have been pretty great since Tuschel took over. It will all come down to Chelsea being able to break through City's defense. PSG couldn't do it. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It might not be the sexiest final since these two play each other on Saturday but it's certainly the matchup of the two best teams. City's just a machine and Chelsea have been pretty great since Tuschel took over. It will all come down to Chelsea being able to break through City's defense. PSG couldn't do it. 

An American will will receive the medal no matter what happens. This is the sexiest final outside of a Gio vs Pulisic CL Final.

pulisic is deadly when he gets in the box near touch

he's not messi, but he has bullet-time skillz.  he has proven he can strike on frame from tight angles up close, so keepers have to respect that and pulisic knows how to exploit that respect...

you saw how he put courtois on the ground and used that instant window to thread the service.  it is so hard to make a precision pass that short with pace and touch to the exact location you want it.   i've never seen a USian with that ability before pulisic this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't generally watch English or Spanish soccer, by choice, but, was that result expected? Is Chelsea that good this season? They didn't start out very well.

Lampard was awful but even he couldn't fuck up their joke of a group.  Tuchel immediately tightened up the defense and Kante started playing like the best DM in the world again.  It's an extremely strange season with COVID + the aging of Ronaldo/Messi.  It's no surprise that their decline will coincide with the entry into the era of oil money domination.  Thank god UEFA "saved football".  lol 

I don't generally watch English or Spanish soccer, by choice, but, was that result expected? Is Chelsea that good this season? They didn't start out very well.

Madrid is being held together by duct tape right now. Injuries and Covid have plagued them all season. Everytime they get healthy they start finding their groove and then 2 new players get hurt and 2 more catch Covid and they start over.

This month saw them lose their starting RB, starting RW(who also was their backup RB) and both CBs (although Ramos sorta was back yesterday but really shouldn’t have been playing).

The only steady players have been the midfield who have had to play waaay too much for their age and Benz at striker.

Don’t really know why Hazard played yesterday. He’s been pathetic when healthy which is rare but Zidane tried to give him a vote of confidence with a run out. Personally I wouldn’t have put Hazard out there, he takes up too much space where Benz likes to roam around.

All that to say, Madrid was the much shakier of the 2 going into this matchup and earned that loss

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

We have a lot of talent and potential, but have been incredibly inconsistent this season.  There are a whole bunch of factors that contribute to that, but Lampard's weaknesses and inexperience as a coach, our young roster (especially the front 4), and the weirdness of the COVID season, including Havertz having a pretty bad case, are the main reasons.  I expect us to be incredibly dangerous next season and vying with City for the PL title.  

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This is how I read the above - I don't generally watch English soccer (bc fuck them) but I'm shocked that Chelsea made it. I watched them early in the season and they sucked.

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

This is how I read the above - I don't generally watch English soccer (bc fuck them) but I'm shocked that Chelsea made it. I watched them early in the season and they sucked.

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Not too far off.

If I am up early on a Sunday and making breakfast I will turn on an English game as background noise but, yeah, fuck them. I am a Bundesliga guy. I didn't really watch much of Chelsea, but I have read about them and the season, a bit.

16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i've never seen a USian with that ability before pulisic this season.

You mean besides Chris Wondolowski. 

8 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This is a meh Madrid squad (by RM standards) that probably overachieved to make the semis (and as mentioned some of that has been due to fitness). Chelsea hasn't been this good all season but got a fairly favorable draw to get to this point. As for "expected" or not many were thinking it was a coin flip type 2nd leg as RM is still pretty stacked and the more experienced side. 

Outside of that weird 5-2 loss to West Brom Tuchel has put together a pretty impressive run and Chelsea have been a hard side to beat. It isn't the biggest of surprises as Chelsea certainly has one of the best rosters in Europe on paper - but this wasn't a team that many were expecting a few months ago to be in this position. Also - as someone mentioned - Kante might be one of the best 5-10 players in the world right now which has helped considerably.

Ultimately the two teams playing the best football in Europe right now are in the CL final. Madrid got absolutely dominated yesterday and City at full strength when clicking are virtually unbeatable right now. 

Edited by ztejas

Madrid sounds unhappy about Hazard  

Coulda seen that one coming. They were questining Bale even after year 1 when he scored game winner against Barca in the copa final and atleti in the Champions league final. If you aren’t always healthy and scoring goals, you aren’t a true Madridista
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Coulda seen that one coming. They were questining Bale even after year 1 when he scored game winner against Barca in the copa final and atleti in the Champions league final. If you aren’t always healthy and scoring goals, you aren’t a true Madridista

Mierdistas.  

I mean shit, when we win everything twice as much as everyone else...

The socios tend to get over the top.

Next year everyone is gonna be hating when y’all are having to suffer through Mbappe winning another UCL with Madrid. So enjoy Hazard stinking up the field against none other than Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I mean shit, when we win everything twice as much as everyone else...

The socios tend to get over the top.

Next year everyone is gonna be hating when y’all are having to suffer through Mbappe winning another UCL with Madrid. So enjoy Hazard stinking up the field against none other than Chelsea.

Over It Reaction GIF

Eden was your best player against us.

I’d disagree. If I had to rate my top 3-4 from Madrid it’d been:
Courtios by a mile
Benz (the only actual scoring chances that had a chance)
Kroos (steady but nothing dangerous and always slow chasing back, way overplayed)
Modric (solid output)

Madrid’s whole midfield was basically nullified by Kante who to me was the key to preventing Madrid’s possession from every turning into threats.

Sources: Manchester City-Chelsea Champions League final likely to be moved from Istanbul

The Champions League final between Manchester City and Chelsea slated to be played in Istanbul on May 29 is likely to be moved from the Turkish city, sources have told ESPN, with UEFA and the English FA in talks over staging the game in England after the U.K. government's decision to place Turkey on its travel red list.

Sources told ESPN that UEFA is "assessing its position" on the venue for the Champions League final, having only been made aware of the U.K. decision on Turkey on Friday.

In an announcement on Friday, the UK announced that any arrivals from Turkey would have to isolate at an airport hotel for 10 days, without exception, due to the increasing COVID-19 levels in the country.

The red list is the U.K.'s strictest level of travel restrictions and applies to all travellers, including players as well as travelling supporters.

Up to 8,000 travelling fans from both clubs had been expected to travel to Turkey from England for the final, but official U.K. government advice now warns against travel to the country

UEFA was forced to move last season's final from Istanbul to Lisbon due to the pandemic, and the Ataturk Stadium is now likely to miss out again.

Speaking in a news conference to announce the decision on Turkey, U.K. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said that the government, FA and UEFA are now discussing the possibility of moving the game to England.

'"The Champions League is the pinnacle of European club football," U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was quoted as saying by the Sun newspaper on Friday. "And with two English teams contesting the final, it would be a great shame if fans were unable to attend. It would be brilliant to host the game here if we can. I want to help supporters of both clubs see their team in action."

Wembley Stadium, which last hosted the final in 2013, is unavailable for this season's game due to the EFL play-offs being booked for the same weekend.

Villa Park in Birmingham has offered to stage the game if moved, but UEFA could also consider taking the game to Lisbon again -- Portugal is on the U.K. green list, which allows open travel between the two countries -- or another venue that would enable fans and players to travel.

"U.K. officials seem to insist but we are moving ahead according to UEFA directions and statements. There were no updates on this from an official channel, we will be hosting the final in Istanbul," a Turkish Football Federation spokesman said.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4379517/manchester-city-chelsea-champions-league-final-likely-moved-from-istanbul-sources

OBVIOUS CHOICE: Wembley Stadium

SECONDARY CHOICE: Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales... so that both teams would have to travel and their fans would have to travel.

TWO YEARS AGO... I was in Spain two years ago and chose to fly out of Barcelona rather than Madrid BEFORE it turned out that Barcelona lost in the Champions League semifinal and it turned into an All-England final of Liverpool vs Tottenham.

My former flatmate, an English lesbian from North London, was living in Madrid at the time and was repulsed by the thought of Liverpool & Tottenham fans invading her city. Istanbul could probably use the cash, but I wouldn't wish an All-England Champions League Final on any city in Europe outside of the UK. Istanbul should be spared and given a future Final as soon as possible.

Sources: Manchester City-Chelsea Champions League final likely to be moved from Istanbul

The Champions League final between Manchester City and Chelsea slated to be played in Istanbul on May 29 is likely to be moved from the Turkish city, sources have told ESPN, with UEFA and the English FA in talks over staging the game in England after the U.K. government's decision to place Turkey on its travel red list.

Sources told ESPN that UEFA is "assessing its position" on the venue for the Champions League final, having only been made aware of the U.K. decision on Turkey on Friday.

In an announcement on Friday, the UK announced that any arrivals from Turkey would have to isolate at an airport hotel for 10 days, without exception, due to the increasing COVID-19 levels in the country.
The red list is the U.K.'s strictest level of travel restrictions and applies to all travellers, including players as well as travelling supporters.
Up to 8,000 travelling fans from both clubs had been expected to travel to Turkey from England for the final, but official U.K. government advice now warns against travel to the country

UEFA was forced to move last season's final from Istanbul to Lisbon due to the pandemic, and the Ataturk Stadium is now likely to miss out again.

Speaking in a news conference to announce the decision on Turkey, U.K. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said that the government, FA and UEFA are now discussing the possibility of moving the game to England.

'"The Champions League is the pinnacle of European club football," U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was quoted as saying by the Sun newspaper on Friday. "And with two English teams contesting the final, it would be a great shame if fans were unable to attend. It would be brilliant to host the game here if we can. I want to help supporters of both clubs see their team in action."

Wembley Stadium, which last hosted the final in 2013, is unavailable for this season's game due to the EFL play-offs being booked for the same weekend.

Villa Park in Birmingham has offered to stage the game if moved, but UEFA could also consider taking the game to Lisbon again -- Portugal is on the U.K. green list, which allows open travel between the two countries -- or another venue that would enable fans and players to travel.

"U.K. officials seem to insist but we are moving ahead according to UEFA directions and statements. There were no updates on this from an official channel, we will be hosting the final in Istanbul," a Turkish Football Federation spokesman said.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4379517/manchester-city-chelsea-champions-league-final-likely-moved-from-istanbul-sources

OBVIOUS CHOICE: Wembley Stadium
SECONDARY CHOICE: Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales... so that both teams would have to travel and their fans would have to travel.

TWO YEARS AGO... I was in Spain two years ago and chose to fly out of Barcelona rather than Madrid BEFORE it turned out that Barcelona lost in the Champions League semifinal and it turned into an All-England final of Liverpool vs Tottenham.
My former flatmate, an English lesbian from North London, was living in Madrid at the time and was repulsed by the thought of Liverpool & Tottenham fans invading her city. Istanbul could probably use the cash, but I wouldn't wish an All-England Champions League Final on any city in Europe outside of the UK. Istanbul should be spared and given a future Final as soon as possible.
I remember that...I think I influenced you to go to Barca over Madrid as liverpool were going into that game without salah and firmino, oh well worked out for me lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

but I wouldn't wish an All-England Champions League Final on any city in Europe outside of the UK. Istanbul should be spared and given a future Final as soon as possible

I take it you have never been to a Galtasaray match.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

I take it you have never been to a Galtasaray match.

No, though I have gone to River @ Boca when my ticket didn’t arrive and I waited outside for a couple of hours before bailing. 

I have also been to a Copa Libertadores midweek match at the Bombonera where I took a bus with subhumans, we weren’t allowed in and were forced to stand in line against a wall a couple of blocks from the stadium by mounted police for well over an hour and then when we were allowed to go on to the stadium, I ultimately passed a guy lying in the street with a “SEGURIDAD” vest on and blood on his bald heads. Fairly certain that he was just unconscious, not dead.

Once I got to the standing room only area of “La Doce”, with weed wafting through the air and a guy asking me if I recognized the tattoo of Diego Armando Maradona’s face on his belly fat, I didn’t talk much, because I didn’t want people to know that I was a foreigner.

Now the Big 5 teams can’t even have an opposing club fan section because too many people had died at fútbol matches over the first half of the 2010s, that something had to change  

So no, I haven’t been to a match in Istanbul, but I can match it and wouldn’t wish two groups of English supporters on any city, other than Moscow.

44 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

No, though I have gone to River @ Boca when my ticket didn’t arrive and I waited outside for a couple of hours before bailing. 

I have also been to a Copa Libertadores midweek match at the Bombonera where I took a bus with subhumans, we weren’t allowed in and were forced to stand in line against a wall a couple of blocks from the stadium by mounted police for well over an hour and then when we were allowed to go on to the stadium, I ultimately passed a guy lying in the street with a “SEGURIDAD” vest on and blood on his bald heads. Fairly certain that he was just unconscious, not dead.

Once I got to the standing room only area of “La Doce”, with weed wafting through the air and a guy asking me if I recognized the tattoo of Diego Armando Maradona’s face on his belly fat, I didn’t talk much, because I didn’t want people to know that I was a foreigner.

Now the Big 5 teams can’t even have an opposing club fan section because too many people had died at fútbol matches over the first half of the 2010s, that something had to change  

So no, I haven’t been to a match in Istanbul, but I can match it and wouldn’t wish two groups of English supporters on any city, other than Moscow.

Let me put it this way, British hooligans will raise the level of behavior at the stadium relative to the normal Turkish supporters.

ETA: Galatasaray supporters at Stamford Bridge is one of the scariest thing anyone can experience this side of Tora Bora.

Edited by G650

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Let me put it this way, British hooligans will raise the level of behavior at the stadium relative to the normal Turkish supporters.

ETA: Galatasaray supporters at Stamford Bridge is one of the scariest thing anyone can experience this side of Tora Bora.

Let me put it to you this way, you can saw that about several places. 

The stadium’s not going to be full anyway.

so now, let me put it to you this way for my initial point: If you can keep the supporters of two large English clubs out of your city, not even thinking about the stadium, you’re better off. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 5:52 AM, G650 said:

Yeah I just guess you don't realize how shitty Istanbul is so ill just leave it at that

Chuck in San Paulo, Rio, Gdańsk, Poznań, Warsaw, Tirana, Marseille, stoke, Rustenburg, Johannesburg, Rome, Rimini, Dresden, Volograd, Nizhy Novgorod, Millwall, Split, Belgrade, Fenerbache to the list shitshow