Picky Eater Test

Vic Mackey

0 to 4, depending how you want to count

i mean, i never crave for beans, and i dont care for peanut butter or nutella, but in no way am i repelled by them.

we should play what we've eaten: puffin, whale, seal, dog, snake, guinea pig, balut (delicious), tongue, feet, frogs, bat, gator, turtle, anything seafood or shellfish....

i dont do critters, insects, bugs, or brains

Edited by 52-80

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but what about Hongeo?

Had to look that one up. I might have to pass on that one given the aroma described by wiki:  

Description

Hongeo-hoe is a type of fermented fish dish from Korea's Jeolla province. Hongeo-hoe is made from skate and emits a very strong, characteristic ammonia-like odor that has been described as being "reminiscent of an outhouse“

25 minutes ago, nnm said:

Had to look that one up. I might have to pass on that one given the aroma described by wiki:  

Description

Hongeo-hoe is a type of fermented fish dish from Korea's Jeolla province. Hongeo-hoe is made from skate and emits a very strong, characteristic ammonia-like odor that has been described as being "reminiscent of an outhouse“

I asked my buddy from SK if his dad* has ever had it. He says it's terrible and people only eat it if they're drunk as a stunt.

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I asked my buddy from SK if his had has ever had it. He says it's terrible and people only eat it if they're drunk as a stunt.

same here.  texted (outspoken) Korean co-worker.  his reply:  Fuck that nasty shit.

Edited by slorch

17 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

This. So much of people's food preferences is really a preference for the preparation.

And this. That list is incredibly "sheltered privileged person."

I think that is the point of this. To see how picky someone is at eating, you need a more universal generic list to keep everyone on an even playing field. They aren't going to start listing all these exotic foods most have never tried or are only found in certain regions of the world.

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

When I lived in CA, I knew a chick that was on Fear Factor. She had to eat like deer or elk penis (some animal penis). She made the final contest but lost, so she ate that penis for nothing. 

Let’s not spread the word that any chick ever ate a penis “for nothing”....

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

agreed with the prep aspect.

I won't eat stewed/ boiled okra, regardless of how well seasoned, with tomatoes, whatever.  It's a no-go.

I'll eat a whole plateful of fried okra.

0 The only thing I’ve ever had that I really hated was sea urchin, it taste like what it is the yellow bugger of the ocean.   

That’s one of 3-4 things in the world that I’ve tried and just don’t like. Tried it several times, including with serious sushi experts who insisted that their guy prepared the best. Nope. They all taste like sweaty feet.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, midtown said:

For those who say no to liver.  Ever tried foie gras?   Because that's liver. 

That list is pretty tame.   Throw in some menudo, cow brains, balut, and random insects and numbers will sky rocket.  

Pate, too, Goodness. Sweetbreads? Hell, yeah.

In my opinion, Vietnamese-Texans clean tripe more thoroughly than the Mexican restaurants  in which I’ve tried menudo. On paper,  I ought to love menudo, which is why I continue to give it a try. I still can imagine barnyard. But, there’s no barnyard in pho with tripe. I’ll accept that is it my bias showing.

Brains are a no go for me. Squid jerky, too.

I’ve eaten fried grasshopper, would like to try ant tacos, but fried cockroaches? Fuck that.

11 hours ago, slorch said:

agreed with the prep aspect.

I won't eat stewed/ boiled okra, regardless of how well seasoned, with tomatoes, whatever.  It's a no-go.

I'll eat a whole plateful of fried okra.

Ironically, despite admitting to a relatively high score, I’ll eat okra like that all day long.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, Horn Draoi said:

1. Raw fish; that’s bait, can’t get past the aroma.  And only fried chicken livers, no calf, no venison, etc.

I once went on a midnight fishing trip to a bamboo bagang somewhere in the Sulu Sea.  As the guest of honor it was my duty to take the first bite of the bounty we pulled from the nets.  Not knowing what to choose i asked them to choose for me.  I was handed a squid. I'm not strictly a "when in rome" type of guy but in the moment i was all about it.  At dawn we got back to shore to eat white rice and all kinds of cured fish.  

I used to eat brains and eggs with my dad. Haven’t had them since he passed

Was a regular dish at our casa growing up. By my teens, we weren’t eating it much, then Mad Cow disease came along, and we stopped altogether.

But all the other cow parts: tongue, kidneys, sweetbreads, etc - we still hammered those.

On 10/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, nnm said:

Description

Sounds like hakarl.

• 5 months later...

Big fat 0.

I'm Chinese (mostly). We'll eat anything that's not nailed down. Personally I won't go out and buy liver, but have had my fair share growing up.

Let's add a few (just slightly less) common things to the list:

1. Lamb
  2. Duck
  3. Cilantro
  4. Parmesan cheese
  5. Feta cheese
  6. Bell peppers

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Big fat 0.

I'm Chinese (mostly). We'll eat anything that's not nailed down. Personally I won't go out and buy liver, but have had my fair share growing up.

1. Lamb
  2. Duck
  3. Cilantro
  4. Parmesan cheese
  5. Feta cheese
  6. Bell peppers

If you're saying you won't eat these, my answer is your avatar

Zero on that list.  

Put salmon on there and I'm at 1.

Odd thing I avoid is icing on any desert.  Scrape it off or skip completely.

Will not do the fermented and/or pungent Asian seafood "delicacies" but as a plain protein fresh off the grill or skillet I'd give them a try.

Never had brains, but would try.  Only protein I've ever spit out was from an Aoudad ram....ewes are fine, but the old goats are rancid.  

Big fat 0.

1. Lamb
  2. Duck
  3. Cilantro
  4. Parmesan cheese
  5. Feta cheese
  6. Bell peppers
Yea, super out on bell peppers here as well. But the others are greatness.

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

If you're saying you won't eat these, my answer is your avatar

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:
9 hours ago, Superhero said:
Big fat 0.

1. Lamb
  2. Duck
  3. Cilantro
  4. Parmesan cheese
  5. Feta cheese
  6. Bell peppers

I eat everything, including all the things on my list.

Consider these add ons to the original list of things people might not eat. It's a small list of stuff that my wife, BIL and coworker refuse to eat.

I will eat everything on that list, of the stuff that’s there I usually prefer other dressings that ranch and other sammich spreads than mayo.

Have eaten a lot of weird shit and I like nearly all offal.  On a trip to rural Sindh I stayed a place where we had an awesome roast goat feast in the evening. In the morning I was scarfing down breakfast and commented that the spicy scrambled eggs were good but had an interesting texture. Was politely told that they were actually goat brains. 

On 10/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

That’s one of 3-4 things in the world that I’ve tried and just don’t like. Tried it several times, including with serious sushi experts who insisted that their guy prepared the best. Nope. They all taste like sweaty feet.

One of the best meals of my life was South Korean sushi at the Seoul fish market, I even did the still wriggling octopus. But I could not handle sea cucumber.  The texture was not at all what I expected or wanted. 

7 hours ago, markstanco said:
17 hours ago, Superhero said:
Big fat 0.

1. Lamb
  2. Duck
  3. Cilantro
  4. Parmesan cheese
  5. Feta cheese
  6. Bell peppers

Who hates bell peppers? 

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Dumb. I don’t like bell peppers because, if I want a pepper, I want one with some kick. I’d say the reality is the opposite of your gifs—bell peppers are white bread peppers because they have no spice. In my experience, bell peppers are exclusively white people food. People that like spicy food choose other peppers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Who hates bell peppers? 

My old coworker. He was from Iowa. A white person (go figure). We were TDYing it in Houston, and we would go to the same damn Italian restaurant every damn week. I finally got him to try something other than his usual Spaghetti with Bolognese sauce. I don't recall what he ordered, but it had bell peppers in it, and he left the plate pretty much untouched.

7 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Bell peppers might be the best raw vegetable to munch on. Especially those bite sized ones.

I gotta disagree you there. But grill them up, toss in olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar and I'll eat an entire plate.

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One of the best meals of my life was South Korean sushi at the Seoul fish market, I even did the still wriggling octopus. But I could not handle sea cucumber.  The texture was not at all what I expected or wanted. 

Sea cucumber is disgusting. It's one of those dishes that the older generation of Chinese will order at nicer seafood restaurants. I ate my fair share growing up, but did not like it. Agree with you on the texture...  to me it was like a bouncy jell-o with an outer surface like 100 grit sandpaper, but smooth on the inside. Not something I would order.

But back to the point of thread. A few other common foods that some people won't eat - brie cheese, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Sea cucumber is disgusting. It's one of those dishes that the older generation of Chinese will order at nicer seafood restaurants. I ate my fair share growing up, but did not like it. Agree with you on the texture...  to me it was like a bouncy jell-o with an outer surface like 100 grit sandpaper, but smooth on the inside. Not something I would order.

But back to the point of thread. A few other common foods that some people won't eat - brie cheese, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli.

Yes to all of those and a baked Brie especially is amazing. Strong cheeses are one of the few things that I can understand people not going for, especially if they didn’t grow up with it in their culture. Over ten years back I read an article where Chinese chefs tried cheeses and Western chefs tried a lot of strong fermented vegetables and the Chinese chefs kept coming back to the cheese not having a “clean” flavor, it coated your mouth and wouldn’t go away.  I got perspective even though I love cheese.  And unwrapping a taleggio can win you enemies.  This is the king of stinky cheeses and I love it but have to fight through the smell. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/stinky-cheese-in-olomouc-22608164/

What about fresh goat cheese? I understand some people have a mild allergy which makes it taste disgusting.