Picky Eater Test

Vic Mackey

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Because they are fucking delicious? Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with a good vodka, ice, and a salted rim is heaven on a hot summer day.

anyway, 0

Well... there are plenty of things that I wouldn't drink unless mixed with alcohol.

Bitters, triple sec, tonic water...

Also I quit drinking, so... "can't think of a reason" still applies.

Edited by ztejas

Just now, midtown said:

For those who say no to liver.  Ever tried foie gras?   Because that's liver. 

That list is pretty tame.   Throw in some menudo, cow brains, balut, and random insects and numbers will sky rocket.  

menudo is not in the same class as brains or balut.  to each his own i guess

2. Liver and onions. Separate or together. Both are the spawn of Satan.
I grew up on a farm and giblet gravy was part of everyday meals. The liver ruined it. 

edit. Yes, except for well-prepared fois gras.  That’s manna from heaven. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, midtown said:

For those who say no to liver.  Ever tried foie gras?   Because that's liver. 

That list is pretty tame.   Throw in some menudo, cow brains, balut, and random insects and numbers will sky rocket.  

but then it's not a picky eater test. 

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the parish priest really confused you

You're telling me.  Confusion started with what the hell I was doing there in the first place, I'm Lutheran.  

Speaking of picky eaters...I need some advice from surly dads on how to get 5 year olds to eat more/eat better.  since school has started, we've been in a series of standoffs with her about dinner and it's getting to be a beating.  Any tricks of the trade?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're telling me.  Confusion started with what the hell I was doing there in the first place, I'm Lutheran.  

Speaking of picky eaters...I need some advice from surly dads on how to get 5 year olds to eat more/eat better.  since school has started, we've been in a series of standoffs with her about dinner and it's getting to be a beating.  Any tricks of the trade?  

As long as it's a reasonable family-friendly dinner dish, then that's what's for dinner.  Period.  Not hungry?  Ok, that's also what's for breakfast.  Repeat.  It's a self-regulating problem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh, I'm all for that.  Problem is her almost 2-year old sister emulates her at the table in every way, and the little one is too little.  She keeps dropping into single digit percentiles in size and medical intervention has been repeatedly recommended.  I gotta have the big one eat so the little one will too because I'm running out of time to get her back up to some modicum of healthy weight.  Anyway, it's a dilemma for another thread.  

0 for me. There is a difference in "would and have I eaten it" vs "do I seek it out"

I have eaten snails and I would eat them again but it's not something that I would ever crave. Same with blue cheese, I will eat it if it's on a salad or in a sauce, but it is not anything that I would ever look for.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Oh, I'm all for that.  Problem is her almost 2-year old sister emulates her at the table in every way, and the little one is too little.  She keeps dropping into single digit percentiles in size and medical intervention has been repeatedly recommended.  I gotta have the big one eat so the little one will too because I'm running out of time to get her back up to some modicum of healthy weight.  Anyway, it's a dilemma for another thread.  

I think you should eat the little one to recycle her nutrients. We can't be tethered to the weak with an impending apocalypse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Have them give new foods a try,  if they don’t like it, that’s cool.  Everyone has foods they don’t like, either for the flavor or texture.

Focus meals around what they DO like, but maybe have one item that’s iffy, like if they won’t eat leafy veggies or whatever.  We continually offered up stuff that was outside their ‘likes’ so every meal wasn’t chicken nuggies and grilled cheese. They had to at least try the stuff once.  We really made an effort not to hold it over their heads, ‘ Eat the fucking broccoli, or you’re gonna get your ass beat,’ but it was also understood to try and eat what was offered for the respective meal.  You’re eating what the family is eating, and that goes for everyone.

Had very few arguments over meals through the years. Meal time was family time.  They both freaking love to cook as grown adults now.  Not sure if we nurtured that spirit, but I’m gonna claim it.  Lol  

26 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

How is it possible that you literally eat every single one of those items every seven days? I can't wrap my head around it.

This!  Wish I could get fresh oysters within a couple hours drive.  Also, I’ll eat well prepared foie gras as that asshole at the table that won’t leave any for anyone else-

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Zero.  Thank goodness that guava and kimchi weren't on that list, or I might be one of those picky eaters.

Both guava and kimchi are delicious. 

I have spent a lot of time in Norway. I also like lutefisk (dried and salted cod, pickled in lye, gelatinous in texture after being rehydrated for days prior to eating), and rakfisk (Norwegian fish dish made from trout or char, salted and fermented for two to three months, or even up to a year. Rakfisk is then eaten without cooking and has a mild and slightly salty flavor and strong smell).

sorry for the formatting. Cut and pasted from wiki while on mobile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

Both guava and kimchi are delicious. 

I have spent a lot of time in Norway. I also like lutefisk (dried and salted cod, pickled in lye, gelatinous in texture after being rehydrated for days prior to eating), and rakfisk (Norwegian fish dish made from trout or char, salted and fermented for two to three months, or even up to a year. Rakfisk is then eaten without cooking and has a mild and slightly salty flavor and strong smell).

sorry for the formatting. Cut and pasted from wiki while on mobile. 

Yeah but what about Hongeo?