Tell me about Florida

George Clooney

I'm so glad we've not gone the route of playing neutral site games save the shoot-out in Dallas on a regular basis.  I'd be kind of pissed I were an Alum and most of all a business person in some of these college towns who might miss out on a good weekend  of sales thanks to the brain trusts at  these schools doing  neutral site matchups.   While the cash infusion in a place  Miami Gardens  and the surrounding area might to be  not be a big deal because they have so much other stuff going on,   It would be felt in Gainesville.   Likewise when UGA and UF cede their rivalry  game to Jacksonville.   Who else?  Oh Arky and aggy to Jerryworld is another one.  
There is NO cash infusion for Miami Gardens for a Tha U game. Unless some folks go to the walmart right outside joe robbie. Or go to calder after a game for som gambling.

Nearest nice accomidations are Shula's in Miami Lakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mullen responds to Gators' rash of off-field issues

May 15, 2019

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Florida coach Dan Mullen's personal beliefs about violence toward women haven't resulted in a zero-tolerance policy for his program.  Although Mullen expressed disappointment in having two players and a staff member accused of violence toward women in the past month, he acknowledged Wednesday that he'd "be hypocritical if you look at my history to say to that is a 100 percent deal."

Mullen's past experiences help explain why safety Brian Edwards and Otis Yelverton, an assistant director of player personnel, remain part of the progra m.  "Obviously, anybody that knows me, I like to take an extremely strong stance on that," Mullen said before a stop on his annual booster tour. "I don't see anything acceptable about that, any violence against women, whether it's a violent act or a wrongful sexual act toward women. But I also like to have all the information before making final decisions."

Edwards was accused last week of grabbing his girlfriend of two years by her neck as she attempted to leave their apartment. A witness intervened and called 911, according to Gainesville police. Edwards was arrested on a battery charge, a first-degree misdemeanor. He pleaded not guilty.

Yelverton was arrested April 23 on a cyberstalking threat, according to Alachua County court records. Police said Yelverton threatened to blow up his ex-girlfriend's car on a voicemail and called, texted or messaged her on Facebook 40 times after their breakup. Yelverton, 51, was arrested on an aggravated stalking charge, a third-degree felony.  Yelverton was put on administrative leave.  Edwards is still taking classes at Florida but has been suspended from all team activities.

"I've had players in the past who had certain situations that I've given a second opportunity to," Mullen said, citing former Mississippi Statedefensive tackle Jeffery Simmons. "I had an awful lot of information to make that decision. That wasn't on a whim. In retrospect, I'd stand by my decision I made the last time, with Jeffrey Simmons. But I had a lot of information to make that decision, probably maybe that wasn't even public or people didn't research or know to make that decision."   Simmons was caught on video in 2016 striking a woman during a brawl that also involved his sister and mother. Simmons apologized for the incident and had no troubles during his three years at Mississippi State, the first two under Mullen.

"A lot of times you hear different sides to the story," Mullen said. "I try not to be the judge on what is 100 percent the truth. My job's not an investigator. ... That's the best way to make a decision, once you have all the information. It's not always great to have to wait to get all the information, but it's the best way to make a decision."

Florida quarterback Jalon Jones also was accused of committing sexual battery twice in a 30-minute window on April 6. The freshman has since withdrawn from school and intends to transfer.

Chris Steele, the top-rated recruit in Mullen's most recent signing class, and fellow cornerback Jaydon Hill were named in police reports as witnesses. They were Jones' roommates.  Steele, who asked to switch to a different dormitory before the incident, left school last month and has since announced plans to transfer to Oregon. "There's a lot that went into that for him and his family in that decision," said Mullen, who flew to California with his wife in hopes of convincing Steele to return. "One of the things we've done is try to support him. I've supported him from the day he got on campus to even through today. We're still trying to support him and help him work through his decision and help him in the future."

No violence toward women is one of Florida's "core values," and it's included on signs that hang in the team meeting room.  "It's really disappointing for us when we have individuals -- whether it's a student-athlete or a staff member -- make a decision that negatively affects them but also shines a little bit of a negative on the program," Mullen said. "[It's] really disappointing because we spend a lot of time on decision-making with our guys. ... We're spending a lot of time on how to make good decisions in life, how to make good social decisions and how to better themselves in life. When these type of things happen, obviously, it's very disappointing to us when there's a couple of individuals that do that."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LSU and Auburn. I don’t see four losses unless Franks regresses big time. UGA will probably be a loss even though we played them better than the final score was last year. LSU is still LSU, even with Coach O and I’m sure they really want that win. Auburn always seems to have our number when we play them.

FSU is a dumpster fire, some of us wanted Taggart as HBC, I don’t think I could have handled a third bad coaching decision in a row. Miami is a question mark, they have talent, just new coach and first game of the season so I’m not overly concerned with that match up.

Mullen might flame out, might bring us back. He did as well as anyone can do at Miss State. Last season was the first season in a long time that I could watch the offense without expecting the worst.

I’ve watched pretty much every Florida game for the last 20 years (being married to one). So I feel somewhat qualified to state that damn he looks like Ichabod Crane out there sometimes. I do think that Mullen helped him for sure though. Hope it continues.

I'm like 25% Gator (MBA) and married to one also.  He has looked completely awful up until those last handful of games last year.  I went to the UGA game last year and pretty much gave up on him then, along with the majority of Gator fans.  

He has had almost zero real QB coaching until Mullen came along.  This is a pretty good read.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/20/florida-feleipe-franks-brother-jordan-nfl

• Like 1

https://floridagators.com/news/2019/8/20/football-saluting-remembering-florida-miami-rivalry.aspx

12 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve watched pretty much every Florida game for the last 20 years (being married to one). So I feel somewhat qualified to state that damn he looks like Ichabod Crane out there sometimes. I do think that Mullen helped him for sure though. Hope it continues.

Yeah I went to the LSU home game 2 years ago and watched Franks look pathetic. Gets sacked on 3rd down, can't get the ball out, then just walks over to the sideline with his head down and gets some water. What the fuck was in his head, I don't know. I thought he was just dumb but now how he's playing under Mullen I think he wasn't being coached very well and he took the failures personally. 

12 hours ago, jinx said:

I'm like 25% Gator (MBA) and married to one also.  He has looked completely awful up until those last handful of games last year.  I went to the UGA game last year and pretty much gave up on him then, along with the majority of Gator fans.  

He has had almost zero real QB coaching until Mullen came along.  This is a pretty good read.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/20/florida-feleipe-franks-brother-jordan-nfl

Yeah I think now he's going to have confidence and command in the offense and really start balling. He's got the measurables, it's always been about getting his head screwed on strait. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MrPhlegm said:

where do you live?

cause it's available on psvue in the states. if you are out of the us, use a vpn.

I don't have a PlayStation. I'm good streaming the LHN games on sportsurge.net but it would be cool to just flip it to some classic games or whatever

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Good god, Sony is awful at branding.

You don't need a Playstation for PS Vue.

Lol I see, well I'm also not gonna pay 50 bucks a month for one channel. 

It's just nice when I'm staying in Austin to turn on some classic Mack Brown Texas football