Mank - Fincher/Oldman

GreenspointTexas

• 1 month later...

It was very good but definitely not the best film Netflix has released. I’d put it behind Trial of the Chicago 7 and Marriage Story for sure.

The performances were very good and it was beautifully shot and scored but it dragged at times and got a bit bogged down on some scenes/storylines. I think Fincher probably struggled to edit/adapt his dad’s screenplay objectively.

• 3 weeks later...

This movie seems like it was literally made for me and yet I can't feel but thinking it was just fine. I appreciate the homage to Kane with the cinematography and tone but it was mostly distracting rather than helpful to the narrative. The story was meandering and jumped around too much. Far from Finchers best but definitely not his worst.

I liked it but I had really high expectations and I think I was let down a bit. There are a few scenes that I absolutely loved and have re-watched since. One good thing about a Netflix release.

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Far from Finchers best but definitely not his worst.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is his worst? I guess Alien 3 is probably the obvious answer but it's sort of hard to think of that even being his movie. My least favorite is Benjamin Button I guess, it's just sort of boring and bland to me.

Alien 3 and Panic Room for me

One of the things I like about Fincher taking on real life events is how interesting he makes them. After this, ive been reading about Mank, Hearst, Upton etc for the past few days. After Social Network, I was reading about Facebook and its founding/controversy for weeks. Hell, I still read about Zodiac when I can because of Fincher. 

43 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I liked it but I had really high expectations and I think I was let down a bit. There are a few scenes that I absolutely loved and have re-watched since. One good thing about a Netflix release.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is his worst? I guess Alien 3 is probably the obvious answer but it's sort of hard to think of that even being his movie. My least favorite is Benjamin Button I guess, it's just sort of boring and bland to me.

Discounting Alien3 it would be the Game or Panic Room

I watched Kane again a couple of weeks ago.  Orson Welles, Citizen Kane, and Hearst are some of my favorite subjects/characters.  So I may have too high expectations for Mank, but will definitely watch.  The use of "Rosebud" considering it's cootchie origins with Hearst is one of the greatest jabs in cinematic history.

• 3 months later...

If you count Roma, OP is wrong, but I don't think Roma was a Netlfix release.

I started Mank in fits and starts, but then I sat down and watched it, and I think it's fucking great.  What got me is I had the same feel i had watching Citizen Kane.  "I'm not enjoying this in the traditional sense, but it's a gorgeous, great film."

But the key was the goddamn sound which hit me about 45 minutes into the thing and made me realize what a strange mnemonic device Fincher was using.  Just transported me back to college when I first saw the flick.  And I was watching Mank with headphones.  I kept taking my headphones off because I thought the main speakers were on and my wife was already asleep. 

The story itself wasn't A+ but the damn thing was quality and great.