Houston Texans 2020 Regular Season Thread

Macklemore

Packers are good. We’ll compete against lesser teams as long as we don’t commit to the run too much, because we can’t run it at all. But against teams that are actually good we stand no chance. We just don’t have the personnel to compete.

Need to go make a great GM hire. Until then, it’s just tune in each week out of habit. And even then, it’s a few years until we’re in business.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 1

Packers are good. We’ll compete against lesser teams as long as we don’t commit to the run too much, because we can’t run it at all. But against teams that are actually good we stand no chance. We just don’t have the personnel to compete.

Need to go make a great GM hire. Until then, it’s just tune in each week out of habit. And even then, it’s a few years until we’re in business.

Didn’t even bother watching today. I already knew it was not going to look pretty.

The GM from Atlanta should already have an interview set up.

And JJ needs to be traded. Even if he doesn’t want to go.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, Moby Ric said:

Just heard on 740 that the Texans are looking to make some trades including JJ Watt.

I'd trade Watson too if he brought back multiple 1st round picks, otherwise he's going to be wasted as the team tries to rebuild from the devastation of Hurricane Bill. the best way to build a team is to get a young cheap QB, so you can spend in FA around him. Now that Watson has his 2nd contract, you are going to have a more difficult time building around him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd trade Watson too if he brought back multiple 1st round picks, otherwise he's going to be wasted as the team tries to rebuild from the devastation of Hurricane Bill. the best way to build a team is to get a young cheap QB, so you can spend in FA around him. Now that Watson has his 2nd contract, you are going to have a more difficult time building around him.

It also makes it more difficult to trade him. You're paying the remainder of his signing bonus on next year's cap ($21.6M) if you trade him plus the prorated bonus on any high draft picks you get back. That's more than 10% of next year's salary cap without any Covid related adjustments.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah. Let's trade one of the 3 surefire franchise QBs in the league under 30 years old. Great idea. 

It is much easier to build around a great QB with less money than build around a shitty or average QB with a lot of money. At least, if you're trying to win a Super Bowl. 

Interim head coach Romeo Crennel wants to keep his Houston Texans roster together past the Nov. 3 trade deadline despite rumors swirling that the team could be sellers.

"Like I told the players, I'm trying to win games, and I'm not trying to trade players," Crennel said, according to Jeff Kerr of CBS Sports. "So, I want to keep as many good players as I can."

SMDH

Every coaching stain from BoB era needs to go, ASAP.

The Seahawks need a pass rusher. Trade JJ before he gets hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Interim head coach Romeo Crennel wants to keep his Houston Texans roster together past the Nov. 3 trade deadline despite rumors swirling that the team could be sellers.

"Like I told the players, I'm trying to win games, and I'm not trying to trade players," Crennel said, according to Jeff Kerr of CBS Sports. "So, I want to keep as many good players as I can."

SMDH

Every coaching stain from BoB era needs to go, ASAP.

The Seahawks need a pass rusher. Trade JJ before he gets hurt.

Thankfully, this innovative organization is thinking way outside the box by actually separating the functions of building a roster vs coaching a roster. 

i don’t really expect Romeo to say anything else, and it’s not like he has the authority to make or even seek trades; he knows he’s done forever as a head coach after this season anyway...

Edited by Ignatius

This will kill you; give me one mulligan (AJ in 2003) and in the 1st round of each of the Texans’ first 6 drafts, instead of taking the dude they took, take the guy picked immediately after:

2002 - Julius Peppers over David Carr

2004 - Roethlisberger over Dunta Robinson (who was solid)

2005 - (original slot) Thomas Davis (3x Pro Bowler) over Travis Johnson.

2006 - I know, I know. Still:

Reggie Bush over Mario Williams ( call this one a push)

2007 - Patrick Willis over Amobi Okoye

if this draft happens, we never chase the endless parade of bullshit QBs. Assuming we still draft DeMeco Ryans where we did, we have the best LB corps in football and likely mKe the playoffs two years earlier. 2012 is a serious Super Bowl contender, etc, etc...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Cal said he will be creating a search committee with former players and NFL executives in addition to retaining the services of Jed Hughes/Korn Ferry to find our next coach. I assume the same process will be used for the GM. I understand Korn Ferry’s role in vetting candidates, still the stench of the Chollie hire has forever stained their reputation in my eyes.
Edited by Macklemore

Cal said he will be creating a search committee with former players and NFL executives in addition to retaining the services of Jed Hughes/Korn Ferry to find our next coach. I assume the same process will be used for the GM. I understand Korn Ferry’s role in vetting candidates, still the stench of the Chollie hire has forever stained their reputation in my eyes.

This is potentially good news...potentially. As long as they actually do apply the process to the GM as well and not just give it to Easterby. I’d love to see them pluck a young GM from Pittsburgh or Baltimore...two organizations I respect immensely.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

This is potentially good news...potentially. As long as they actually do apply the process to the GM as well and not just give it to Easterby. I’d love to see them pluck a young GM from Pittsburgh or Baltimore...two organizations I respect immensely.

Yeah my fear is that they conduct this thorough search and end up hiring Easterby as GM and Josh McDaniels as coach. Similar to when the B12 interviews like 18 G5 teams for their alleged expansion and decided they were doing what they wanted to do all along....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Still...I can’t believe JJ is still on the roster. He deserves to play for a real contender before he hangs them up. I guess the his contract was just too prohibitive for other teams, because the Texans should have taken damn near any offer they got for him.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fico said:

If he stays healthy and leaves we will get a 3rd. If he was traded any pick would have been conditioned on him staying healthy.

That’s assuming he doesn’t tear an ACL brushing his teeth tonight, miss the rest of the regular season, and get a league-minimum FA contract that nets a 7th rounder...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s assuming they don’t sign any free agents which offset the compensatory pick. 

Yeah plus he’s got to sign a good-sized contract for his position and play a certain percentage of snaps in 2021. If he has a play great in 9 games/miss 7 other games Will Fuller season it’s probably a 5th rounder. Banking on that 3rd rounder is a big risk for a guy with his history; don’t know if it got offered, but I would have taken a third rounder this year. Bird in the hand...

14 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah plus he’s got to sign a good-sized contract for his position and play a certain percentage of snaps in 2021. If he has a play great in 9 games/miss 7 other games Will Fuller season it’s probably a 5th rounder. Banking on that 3rd rounder is a big risk for a guy with his history; don’t know if it got offered, but I would have taken a third rounder this year. Bird in the hand...

Did they get offered a 3rd rounder for either Fuller, Watt, Stills, or Cooks? It doesn’t sound like it. 

Still...I can’t believe JJ is still on the roster. He deserves to play for a real contender before he hangs them up. I guess the his contract was just too prohibitive for other teams, because the Texans should have taken damn near any offer they got for him.

I’m sure they got offers. I just wouldn’t be surprised if the asking price wasn’t a 1st or 2nd because he’s JJ.

27 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I’m sure they got offers. I just wouldn’t be surprised if the asking price wasn’t a 1st or 2nd because he’s JJ.

I’d rather they keep their assets and not have Rasputin Easterby who doesn’t know shit about football involved any trade until our new GM comes 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Texans are the team with the fewest number of rookie snaps. Inexcusable. See what we have on the roster for God's sake. I'd rather have street free agents or UDFA RBs than the crap we have. David Johnson and Duke Johnson should be cut.

Lol why the fuck would we cut Duke Johnson.

And that's a catch. Good challenge Romeo.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol why the fuck would we cut Duke Johnson.

And that's a catch. Good challenge Romeo.

I’d rather they uncover talent like the UDFA RB the Jags are using. The failure to nurture and develop young talent on the Texans by the buttchin regime was criminal