Houston Texans 2020 Regular Season Thread

Macklemore

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

8-8 or 7-9 after that disastrous and brutal start to the season would be great for Romeo 

I'd like to think Romeo has something to do with it, although I think it's more likely addition by subtraction compounded by Deshaun playing the 2nd or 3rd best football at his position in the league right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd like to think Romeo has something to do with it, although I think it's more likely addition by subtraction compounded by Deshaun playing the 2nd or 3rd best football at his position in the league right now. 

I think with the lack of weapons he has, head coach turmoil, no real running game, and the throws he’s making he might be the best qb right now. Mahomes is lights out and he would be good on any team but with the kelce/hill/Andy Reid combo it’s hard to have a real shitty day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I think with the lack of weapons he has, head coach turmoil, no real running game, and the throws he’s making he might be the best qb right now. Mahomes is lights out and he would be good on any team but with the kelce/hill/Andy Reid combo it’s hard to have a real shitty day. 

Yeah I don't think you can put him over Mahomes, hypotheticals or not. Although Deshaun would fucking kill it on the Chiefs.

Here's a fun guessing game while we're on the subject:

Through 10 games:

Player A - 288.3 y/g, 68.9 cmp%, 8.5 Y/A, 12.0 Y/C, 1.5% INT rate

Player B - 288.9 y/g, 68.2 cmp%, 8.2 Y/A, 12.0 Y/C, 1.1% INT rate 

6 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Watson and Rodgers?

E:  Or hm.  Watson and Allen, maybe?   

Yep. A is Deshaun - B is Rodgers.

Only relevant stats I didn't include are TDs and sacks because it gives it away for Rodgers. Their raw passing #s are almost identical.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yep. A is Deshaun - B is Rodgers.

Only relevant stats I didn't include are TDs and sacks because it gives it away for Rodgers. Their raw passing #s are almost identical.

Yeah that's interesting.  I knew they were all in the same general area in passing stats, but didn't know they were that close in so many ways.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30423848/houston-texans-wr-fuller-suspended-six-games-ped-policy?platform=amp

What a fucking idiot. Can't stay on the field for 16 games even when he is healthy. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Guess its just Cooks, Coutee and a bunch of crap. 

Yep. Isaiah Coulter - our rookie WR from fucking Rhode Island that we took in the 5th round - is effectively starting for us now. We also Steven Mitchell out of USC on our active roster - who has played in 5 career games and caught 2 passes in his NFL career. 

After that, we get to the practice squad, where we have 3 WRs currently - 2 of them don't even have a fucking jersey number- the guy that does have a number is Chad Hansen who last played in an NFL game in 2017 as a rookie for the Jets. He has 9 career catches so, progress!

I'm not even going to look the other 2 up since I assume they have never taken the field in a regular season NFL game. 

And you know what's funny? Deshaun will still throw for at least 250 yards and 2 TDs against the Colts because he's that type of player. He's quickly turning into the Kevin Garnett of the NFL.

I mean, Christ. Just when we were starting to play watchable football in a season where it doesn't matter how many games we lose.

You know, this ain’t the worst thing in the world. The season is fucked anyway, we’re only playing for draft position starting in round 3, and we also cut Stills (which gives another $2MM to next year’s cap). All of which means:

1. The price for Fuller’s next contract just went down about $4MM a year. His only healthy year and its because of ‘roids (hyperbole alert!)? Massive red flags. Whoever signs him next got a discount based on today’s news

2. Obviously, that also increases the risk to whoever signs him, even at that discount. That means there ain’t going to be a bidding war for him, and seems logical that whoever resigns him can put a ton of games-played incentive clauses in the deal.

This in tandem with DeShaun’s stated preference for Fuller on the roster make it likely IMO that you could get Fuller on deal that costs $10MM/year max if he plays 16 games (what Robbie Anderson got this last offseason) and much less if he doesn’t. At that price, they can sign Fuller, cut the Johnson & Johnson RB tandem plus McKinney and still be under the reduced cap next year.

As an added bonus, we can’t keep doing this mindless “We’re winning games, fuck playing rookies” bullshit. We have no choice but to put Isaiah Coulter into the rotation, plus we have to give Kiki Coutee (obviously not a rookie) heavy snaps. Let’s find out what these guys can do, this year is fucked anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You know, this ain’t the worst thing in the world. The season is fucked anyway, we’re only playing for draft position starting in round 3, and we also cut Stills (which gives another $2MM to next year’s cap). All of which means:

1. The price for Fuller’s next contract just went down about $4MM a year. His only healthy year and its because of ‘roids (hyperbole alert!)? Massive red flags. Whoever signs him next got a discount based on today’s news

2. Obviously, that also increases the risk to whoever signs him, even at that discount. That means there ain’t going to be a bidding war for him, and seems logical that whoever resigns him can put a ton of games-played incentive clauses in the deal.

This in tandem with DeShaun’s stated preference for Fuller on the roster make it likely IMO that you could get Fuller on deal that costs $10MM/year max if he plays 16 games (what Robbie Anderson got this last offseason) and much less if he doesn’t. At that price, they can sign Fuller, cut the Johnson & Johnson RB tandem plus McKinney and still be under the reduced cap next year.

As an added bonus, we can’t keep doing this mindless “We’re winning games, fuck playing rookies” bullshit. We have no choice but to put Isaiah Coulter into the rotation, plus we have to give Kiki Coutee (obviously not a rookie) heavy snaps. Let’s find out what these guys can do, this year is fucked anyway. 

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Lulz, hey and it keeps getting better - Roby also suspended six games!!!

Pretty sure that's money we can use against the cap, every little bit helps. It sucks because (pathetically) Roby is our 'best' CB but whatever. This just forces them to use our 4th rounder from last year's draft in the CB rotation. Let's find out what these guys can do and give the new regime as much film as possible. The only critical positions the rest of the year (other than the obvious one) are along the OL, as we need to keep the one player on this franchise worth building around healthy...

20 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Gotta wonder if the PEDs weren't by design.  He knew he had to have a big year to offset the previous injuries, he's got contract negotiations coming up.  If the hamstring left him dinged up he's not going to get it done.  Rolls the dice on PEDs, hoping he either shows enough talent until he gets caught, or he evades a positive test all together.  A very productive season cut short by suspension probably looks better than a subpar one playing injured.  In any case, he pulled the same card all the others pull..."Doctor goofed."  He was sitting at 11th in Receiving Yards and tied for 5th in TDs among receivers prior to the suspension.

Edited by ulukinatme

Roby’s suspension means we get another $1.7MM back on the cap this year, $500K next year, and the best is that his $8MM guarantee for next year has voided, so we can trade him if we want with no dead cap at all.

Theoretically...if there were a corner in this year’s free agent market that the new regime deemed the equivalent of Roby who you could get for the same 3/$31MM deal you got Roby with last year, then you could sign that dude and then trade Roby for what the fuck ever. Net/net, the same player (in theory), same cap hit, with an extra draft pick. Probably won’t happen, but for a team that’s fucked its 2021 draft up so royally, it’s an option.

Tunsil and JJ getting suspended the rest of the year would be the best thing that could happen to this team, though if that happened I would have DeShaun suddenly develop a hamstring issue and let AJ McCarrom earn his pay lol...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

I'm trying to figure out how we're still in this game.

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Part of what makes Watson so good is that he will hold the ball until something develops. Part of what hurts him is that he will hold the ball when there is nothing developing. He has to figure out how to walk that thin line to get to that next level.

I agree. I'm not sure today's game should be an indictment against him, though. He has absolute dogshit at WR and is turning practice squad guys that haven't played a snap in 3 seasons into 100 yd receivers. Taking that safety was probably the right play, too (or at least - not the worst play).

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm trying to figure out how we're still in this game.

I agree. I'm not sure today's game should be an indictment against him, though. He has absolute dogshit at WR and is turning practice squad guys that haven't played a snap in 3 seasons into 100 yd receivers. Taking that safety was probably the right play, too (or at least - not the worst play).

The safety in that situation was pretty much unavoidable. I more talking about taking the sack on first down. It basically killed the drive, even if it was only for a yard.

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The safety in that situation was pretty much unavoidable. I more talking about taking the sack on first down. It basically killed the drive, even if it was only for a yard.

Yeah. Again, I'm not sure what he's looking at downfield. Sounds like Cooks was out on that drive? Meaning he had 0 legitimate NFL WRs out there. 

Announcer was a dipshit with his "let them score" even before the fumble. You don't fucking do that when a FG can't beat you.

Nick Martin continues to be fucking worthless.

Another great effort by DeShaun; he almost pulled out a win over a really good team with basically no receiving corps, and his only turnover was because his WR didn't fight for the ball...

Just now, David Dennison said:

That is not on you, number 4. Shake it off, brah.

Yeah but he's actually a good leader that will likely take some blame to take heat off of Martin. 

Obviously it's not on Watson. That doesn't make it any easier to see him lose like that. 

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Announcer was a dipshit with his "let them score" even before the fumble. You don't fucking do that when a FG can't beat you.

Nick Martin continues to be fucking worthless.

Another great effort by DeShaun; he almost pulled out a win over a really good team with basically no receiving corps, and his only turnover was because his WR didn't fight for the ball...

Martin is awful, but Fulton might be the worst OL I've ever seen in the NFL.