Snoring / Sleep Apnea / CPAP

I'm late 40s and my snoring seems to be getting worse.  I'm sure if I quit drinking and lost 50lbs, the problem would get better.  But that's not an option.  Looking for a little advise:  do I got to a sleep center, buy a CPAP on line, or.... Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, PW119 said:

I'm late 40s and my snoring seems to be getting worse.  I'm sure if I quit drinking and lost 50lbs, the problem would get better.  But that's not an option.  Looking for a little advise:  do I got to a sleep center, buy a CPAP on line, or.... Thanks in advance.

Go to a sleep center and get tested.. I'm in your boat.. went to sleep center and diagnosed w/ Apnea.. not breathing for up to 30 seconds at a time. Not good for your ticker. My two cents.

I had sleep apnea like like a mofo. Epic snoring. Never bothered me (only my bed mates) until the last few years. Then shit got real. I would wake up in a semi-panic, gasping for breath. I used to sleep on my back every night for 40+ years. That became impossible. The moment I would nod off on my back, I'd wake up gasping for breath. I was forced to sleep on my side. Then sometimes the gasping would occur even when on my side. Majorly fucked up. Ever time I'd wake up I'd get a little shot of adrenaline. After a few of those in a row, sleeping is not an option. Going one night without sleep is OK for me. When the gasping and adrenaline shots strike again on the second night in a row, I start wondering if death is around the corner. Easily one of my top two worst experiences of my life. 

Since then I've lost 80 pounds, and still losing. GF says snoring is WAY down. No more gasping episodes. Hope it stays that way.

Bernard   

Go to sleep doc, get sleep study, get treatment like CPAP if needed, profit.

Really, the most significant turn around I have seen in a patient's condition is when a person with sleep apnea gets the right treatment. They feel so much better than before. They usually don't realize how bad off they were.

Reggie White died as a result of obstructive sleep apnea at age 43.  I was diagnosed fifteen years ago and have used a cpap machine nightly since.  It is worth the money spent on both the sleep study and the cpap machine or whatever is prescribed for you and you will notice a difference in how you feel every morning.

I’ve been using a CPAP for about 10 years and it’s definately changed my life.  Don’t feel constantly tired and can stay up past 11 PM now.

Takes awhile to get acclimated to using the CPAP machine, but well worth it in the long run. 

While weight loss and cutting back alcohol help, some people, like myself, are physically constructed (short, thick neck and soft palate) to be predisposed to sleep apnea.

9 minutes ago, Tailgate Jeff said:

I’ve been using a CPAP for about 10 years and it’s definately changed my life.  Don’t feel constantly tired and can stay up past 11 PM now.

Takes awhile to get acclimated to using the CPAP machine, but well worth it in the long run. 

While weight loss and cutting back alcohol help, some people, like myself, are physically constructed (short, thick neck and soft palate) to be predisposed to sleep apnea.

You sound like the prototypical Ohioan. 

+1 for the CPAP here. I was told I snored, did the study and got diagnosed. Unlike many though, the CPAP didn't make a big difference to me in the way that I feel during the day. I'm sure that I'm getting better sleep now, but I feel pretty much the same as before.

What are you guys using for your mask? I have the "Nuance" now but it's a little annoying.

I also don’t feel any better when using my CPAP but my wife appreciates that I’m not snoring and I trust it’s having health benefits. It’s a pain in the ass to travel with so I use Provent is traveling with the wife and nothing if traveling solo.

As for the mask, I’ve been using the Swift FX nasal pillows for 6-7 years now.

If you have apnea and don't use a CPAP you are essentially putting as much stress on your body as a runner who is running a marathon, every single night.  You don't get medals though or stickers for your vehicle.

Go to the doctor and get the study done.

I've been using my cpap for nearly 10+ years now and it is a game changer.  Nights when I forget it while traveling are the worst.  I am not functional for the next day and usually takes 2-3 days to get back to homeostasis.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these inline humidifier replacement things?

I bought some last year to use while traveling, but they dry out (during in home testing in DFW) much quicker than the advertised seven days. So I experimented with "refilling" them with distilled water. I was able to stretch one to a month by refilling it every few days. Without taking that one apart and testing it in a lab, it wouldn't be possible to see if there is no mold or other contaminant on the filter, but there were no visible problems.

Any thoughts?

Glad this thread was started as I feel a little better reading some of your experiences.  I was diagnosed in the last couple of months with apnea.  Loud snorer.  I see my sleep doctor next week to get fitted.  Apparently I was approved by insurance for an APAP machine, not a CPAP.  Anyone have one of those?  Apparently it self-adjusts throughout the night based on your breathing patterns.  Supposed to be better than CPAP in that regard.  My biggest fear is being able to sleep with some contraption on me.  And I'm a stomach sleeper.

17 hours ago, Bosco said:

Glad this thread was started as I feel a little better reading some of your experiences.  I was diagnosed in the last couple of months with apnea.  Loud snorer.  I see my sleep doctor next week to get fitted.  Apparently I was approved by insurance for an APAP machine, not a CPAP.  Anyone have one of those?  Apparently it self-adjusts throughout the night based on your breathing patterns.  Supposed to be better than CPAP in that regard.  My biggest fear is being able to sleep with some contraption on me.  And I'm a stomach sleeper.

yeah, I have an autopap after using a cpap for 8 or 9 years.  I noticed I wasn't sleep well again and needed more pressure at times while sleeping and less as I was falling asleep.  Basically a CPAP is a single pressure mode at say a grade 8.  Whereas, a APAP is an auto pressure machine with a range from say 8-16 that automagically adjusts according to your breathing needs. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Noah Fence said:

Anyone use the cleaning systems?  Wondering if they are worth the cash.

I have several patients that use and love their cleaning systems.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:54 AM, PW119 said:

Get a sleep study.  If you purchase a CPAP online and it turns out you have complicated or central sleep apnea, it can make it worse.  You could also go and get an Overnight Pulse Oximetry if strapped for cash and see if you have any significant desaturations throughout the night, these can be ordered through your PCP and generally cost $40.  They give a decent idea, but are not perfect.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, Apep said:

When it comes time to get a CPAP machine, look into getting one that auto-titrates. Automatic adjustments seem to produce better sleep, for me at least. Then get something like thisfor travel.

The Auto-CPAP is certainly an option but I have plenty of patient's that do much better on a CPAP that is set.  With an Auto-CPAP you are counting on a machine to determine the correct pressure and I often have patient's that wake up in the middle of the night with their Auto-CPAP hitting the top end of their range as it has missed the sweet spot.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, Deej said:

Doctor told me sleep apnea made it 50% more likely that I would die in my sleep. Since I'm assuming most people would rather die in their sleep, I told him he might want to come up with a better sales pitch. 

It increases risks of stroke, heart attack, congestive heart failure, hypertension, arrhythmias, depression, anxiety among other ailments.

As well, this one generally makes men interested in getting checked.

Erectile Dysfunction in Patients with Sleep Apnea – A Nationwide Population-Based Study

19 hours ago, Bosco said:

Read above, Auto-CPAP isn't for everyone.  If you do get an Auto-CPAP, when you go in for your compliance evaluation, try to get them to narrow the range of pressures.

Edited by MoJames
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Bosco said:

I just went through this a few months ago.  I also used to be a stomach sleeper, and I have an APAP.  Took a few weeks to get used to the mask and I still don't love it, but I sleep much better and actually wake up feeling rested now.  I first tried the full face mask and hated it.  I use this  mask now and it's worlds better.  Getting the hose off the front of the face was big because I sleep on my side a lot (sleeping on stomach is really tough with one of these on because you  get mask leaks that wake you up).  Get a mask that is comfortable to use or you won't use it.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dreamwear-nasal-cpap-mask-fit-pack.html

• Like 1

I've had CPAP since about 2011.  Just the nose pillows.  It has really been a miracle.  My snoring had gotten really bad.  I was having the worst acid reflux.  One time I woke up in a hotel with stomach acid in my sinuses. That pain is ridiculous.

Did a sleep study and got my CPAP.  I've never gone back or even had my machine's memory looked at.  I probably should have, but whatever. It works.  I'm losing weight right now, so I'm putting off another study till I lose another 100 lbs.  Then I'll get a new machine.  I'd like to get 2 masks.  A nose only one for every day use, and a full face for when I have a cold and can't breathe through my nose.

My snoring is gone, obviously.  Haven't had acid reflux ever again.  I still get heartburn (not as much when I'm eating low carb), but it never results in acid reflux anymore.  I'm not groggy when I wake up.  I don't get tired during the day.  I don't fall asleep while driving or sitting at work in front of a computer.  My memory has improved.

It's worth it.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Bosco said:

I was exclusively a stomach sleeper before CPAP.  Now I'm a back sleeper, and sometimes side.

When I was suffering from apnea, I'd have the worst nightmares when sleeping on my back. Those full-body paralysis events during the night, terrified.  I'm sure it was me waking up from not breathing, but my body not responding quickly enough.  Whatever. Nightmares all the same.  I would have to sleep on my stomach to avoid that, and to breathe.

I haven't slept on my stomach in almost 7 years. No need. Many nights I go to sleep and wake up in the same position.  Lately, I've been doing a little more side sleeping, so I might need some adjusting to my machine or something.

7 years of CPAP = not a single nightmare in that time, which means I'm able to breathe.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

A question. My wife was asked to wear a CPAP. But she doesn't wear it because she says it feels like the air pressure is too high. I think it always auto-sets to 4 out of 10, and there is no manual adjustment. Is this just a matter of getting used to the feeling of air being blown up the nose? She used it for a month about 6 months back and hasn't used it since.

If you feel adventurous you can Youtube how to unlock your CPAP and adjust it for her.

I bet the 4cwp setting is simply the bottom of the ramp.  When you start your CPAP the newer units have a ramp setting.  You can have it off or up to 45 minutes.  It will start at 4cwp and move up to your therapeutic pressure hopefully while you sleep to make it more comfortable.   

19 hours ago, MoJames said:

If you feel adventurous you can Youtube how to unlock your CPAP and adjust it for her.

I bet the 4cwp setting is simply the bottom of the ramp.  When you start your CPAP the newer units have a ramp setting.  You can have it off or up to 45 minutes.  It will start at 4cwp and move up to your therapeutic pressure hopefully while you sleep to make it more comfortable.   

yeah, I hated the ramp up and chose to have it disabled.  just give me the power, mcfly.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:11 AM, Tailgate Jeff said:

(short, thick neck and soft palate)

Go on...

I’ve been on mine since Sept. there are still nights that it takes me some time to adjust to having something strapped to my face and some nights where I’m awaken by a whistling noise.  But overall, I’d recommend getting the study then the machine if needed.  I have low grade SA but was recommended to do the machine. 

Representing the non fat people/non apnea folks who just snore.

Did the sleep study, no apnea, just snore.  Got fitted for a mouthpiece and that pretty much ended snoring.  It was a $$$ one done by a dentist and lost it so i replaced it with one off the internet and it works just as good.  I use the PureSleep brand.  They run $100/2.

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Got my home study tonight. 

How did it go?  When I did mine I had a terrible time falling asleep because I thought I had to sleep on my stomach?  Basically for two straight nights I just laid there unable to fall asleep.  Wasn't until I figured out I could sleep with it on while on my side that I was able to sleep.

I can sleep facedown on a pile of gravel, so no real difficulties for me, other that it took me a little while longer than usual to fall asleep since I knew that I needed to hook up the apparatus before going to sleep, so I went to bed while I was a little more alert than usual. I often fall asleep on the couch and then eventually stumble upstairs into bed, but that wouldn't do for the test... 

Started CPAP due to my wife's complaining about my snoring. I read how it helps with cardiovascular, etc. Adjusted to it after trying about 5 masks and am now 100% compliant. I never felt the "life changing" effect, it just stopped the snoring. I was falling asleep at the computer so got a second sleep study which showed that I have not only sleep apnea, which the machine helped, but also have narcolepsy, which is a whole 'nother thread. MoJames can no doubt explain it better than I, but essentially I have fucked up sleep "architecture". REM sleep is all over the place, as are all other levels of sleep. 

tl/dr. If the CPAP doesn't help you feel better, get another sleep study, or have them double check the first one for goofy sleep architecture. 

I’m picking up my APAP machine Wednesday.  Sounds like I pay $300 immediately, and then rent-to-own at $100/month for 8 or 9 months and then I own it (haven’t reached deductible yet).  Is that how most of you did it?  I guess that works best in case I don’t like the first one I get, I’m not locked in?

I’m picking up my APAP machine Wednesday.  Sounds like I pay $300 immediately, and then rent-to-own at $100/month for 8 or 9 months and then I own it (haven’t reached deductible yet).  Is that how most of you did it?  I guess that works best in case I don’t like the first one I get, I’m not locked in?

That sounds a bit high but I guess it depends on your insurance. I think it’s more because people freak out about large payments but put it in terms of per month and they don’t. That’s how all of mine has been

Fuck OU

First of all, thanks for all of the informative responses - very much appreciated.  I just got my results from my home study.  They recommend me bringing another machine home for 3 straight nights.  What do you guys think?

Results:
Evaluation was from 10:31 PM to 5:54 AM. During this time there were a total of 222 apneas, including 222
unclassified apneas, 0 obstructive apneas, 0 central apneas, and 0 mixed apneas. There were a total of 132
hypopneas. This produced an overall apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) of 49.9* events/hr (normal < 5/hr). Hypopneas
were scored based on a 4% desaturation and 30% decrease in respiratory flow for a period of 10 seconds or more
(AASM rule 1B).
Baseline oxygen saturation was 92%. The lowest oxygen saturation observed was 78%. The patient spent a total of
94 minutes (21% of study time) at oximetry levels below 89 %.
Minimum pulse recorded was 59 bpm.
Maximum pulse recorded was 112 bpm.
Average pulse was 78 bpm.

19 hours ago, PW119 said:

This produced an overall apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) of 49.9* events/hr (normal < 5/hr). Hypopneas

bump that up to 74 events per hour and you have my score.  what do I win chuck? 

Doc, you win a CPAP!

Crowd goes wild, stops breathing, goes wild again with a new surge of air.

I had a surprisingly easy time of it my first night with the APAP last night.  Was really worried but slept well.  I opted for a mask that goes over both my nose and mouth and is pretty bulky.  I first tried on just the nose mask but I feel I mainly breathe out of my mouth and I was very uncomfortable with just the nose mask.

I have an app that gives me a reading of how I performed the night before and my apnea events per hour were only 1.6/hr (for 8.5 hours) after a sleep test reading of 28/hr.

Was able to easily sleep on my stomach which I mainly do and had no issues keeping the mask on.  I feel much better about the process now.