Snoring / Sleep Apnea / CPAP

3 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Medical Update:

I got my CPAP last Friday and have been using it every night.

The good news: Programming and set up was a breeze, wife has not complained about snoring at all, machine is quiet enough also, and I am getting usage scores of 100 out of 100 every night (5 nights) with about .5 events per hour. So all of the external factors are great.

The not so good news: My sleep is not so good, both by how I feel and as measured by my smart watch.  Not a huge drop, but noticeable.  I think some of it is getting used to the treatment, but I feel like I am waking up or in light sleep too much.  I wake at night sometimes and mess with breathing, allowing pressure to build up, releasing through my mouth etc., and go back to sleep.  I think one possibility is that I try to mouth breath once I try to begin snoring, and then go back to nasal breathing, but it kind of startles me so I come out of sleep at least 3-5 times per night.  I have tried sleeping without my MAD and that makes the mouth breathing worse.  I am not generally a mouth breather, but am interested in what a full mask might do.  I will give it some more time, but given the proper working of the treatment side, I think I might need some kind of adjustments. Any thoughts?

I've been using a CPAP for at least 20 years.  I find I release through my mouth when I'm sleeping on my back, but on my side I don't, so I normally sleep on my side.  My sleep is not perfect, but I'm much much better than I was before the CPAP.  If, after you get used to the mask, you still aren't feeling more rested, I'd discuss it with the doctor.  

It takes time to get used to sleeping with a mask on, it's not natural.

Did a home test the other night and Dr. called and said I have severe apnea (65.5?) and recommended I get an APAP machine and sent my info to a supplier.  They called just now and said they need to do the paperwork with doctor and insurance and will call me in the next 5-10 days for a machine.  Question for you based on what is in earlier posts - I have no clue what the next part of the process is but can I just ask the doctor for a APAP prescription and get pay for it myself and send the bill into my insurance? (My sleep doctor was in my Aetna network so I assume so is the vendor...)

Am I stuck this route to get all the settings/fittings correct the first time? Should I contact my insurance and ask them directly? I'm more than happy to just buy it outright rather than some monthly plan where they charge my insurance 2x the cash price because of interest, etc...  (Plus, I don't really want to have to wait 1-2 weeks to get the equipment now that I know it's "severe"...)

Edited by Grimas

11 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Did a home test the other night and Dr. called and said I have severe apnea (65.5?) and recommended I get an APAP machine and sent my info to a supplier.  They called just now and said they need to do the paperwork with doctor and insurance and will call me in the next 5-10 days for a machine.  Question for you based on what is in earlier posts - I have no clue what the next part of the process is but can I just ask the doctor for a APAP prescription and get pay for it myself and send the bill into my insurance? (My sleep doctor was in my Aetna network so I assume so is the vendor...)

Am I stuck this route to get all the settings/fittings correct the first time? Should I contact my insurance and ask them directly? I'm more than happy to just buy it outright rather than some monthly plan where they charge my insurance 2x the cash price because of interest, etc...  (Plus, I don't really want to have to wait 1-2 weeks to get the equipment now that I know it's "severe"...)

Try to get it through your Insurance. It will help long term with getting supplies. Think of DME companies as pharmacies for medical equipment. They will handle the insurance part and it become a lease to own process where if you do your part and use it, the insurance will pay for it. More importantly if you try to buy on your own, the replacement masks, hoses, etc can be more difficult to get lined up through the DME company.

Past that there is a massive recall on CPAPs. So there is a delay going through insurance or out of pocket.

One last note, 65 isn't great and you need to treat it but it is a chronic issue. It rarely causes any acute issues. I had a patient yesterday with an AHI of 134.

So is there any reason not to just buy one of the smaller travel machines as my primary machine initially other than the smaller ones not having the humidifiers? (Buy one the first time rather than 2?) I expect my travel will increase the next year and I usually just try to go with a carry-on bag when I can...

A few years back my main CPAP died so I used my travel machine until I could a replacement. It worked fine. The humidifier makes a difference for me and I'd never use a travel CPAP with an HME long-term if I had a choice. BTW, the CPAP bag doesn't count against the one carry-on and one personal item limit. You can even load it up with stuff in addition to the CPAP.

• Hook 'Em 1

*edit - cpep beat me to it. 

A CPAP doesn't count against your carry-on allowance because it's medical equipment. I have a carry-on sized suitcase, a rollerbag that barely fits under some seats, and a ResMed Airsense 10 that I have flown hundreds of times with and no problems. One person at the gate who seemed new to their job questioned me once and was easily set straight, and sometimes at the tiny regional airports where TSA workers all think that they're the last line of defense against total societal collapse (if you know, you know...) they make you take "the motor" out of the bag during the x-ray process, but that's it, other than the occasional obnoxious novice/busybody traveler, but it's fun to dunk on the rare shitheads who try to be passive aggressive about other people's luggage allowances. 

So don't sweat that aspect of travel. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, this backlog because of the recall sucks... The DME called me over 2 weeks ago and said it would take at least 8 days to clear it with insurance and 2 weeks later, they won't return my calls. As its the end of the year and have met my deductible, I said screw it and bought my stuff online from an Aetna network provider and they said I still might not get it before the end of the year...  Argh...

34 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Damn, this backlog because of the recall sucks... The DME called me over 2 weeks ago and said it would take at least 8 days to clear it with insurance and 2 weeks later, they won't return my calls. As its the end of the year and have met my deductible, I said screw it and bought my stuff online from an Aetna network provider and they said I still might not get it before the end of the year...  Argh...

Not sure how long the recall has been going on, but I got my CPAP 18 days ago, and it showed up 2 days after I ordered it.

I paid the vendor directly.

I used Better Night, as that is who is set up with my Dr. for kickbacks etc.  Good prices compared to other online options, and really good support.

Pretty easy set up overall.

In fact, I was not happy with my nasal mask, so they are sending me a Dreamwear Full Face set up at no extra charge, since I am within the 30 day window.  They said it would be at my house on Saturday.  Not bad for Xmas Season delivery.

Good luck.  I'm sure everything will work out.

41 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Not sure how long the recall has been going on, but I got my CPAP 18 days ago, and it showed up 2 days after I ordered it.

I paid the vendor directly.

I used Better Night, as that is who is set up with my Dr. for kickbacks etc.  Good prices compared to other online options, and really good support.

Pretty easy set up overall.

In fact, I was not happy with my nasal mask, so they are sending me a Dreamwear Full Face set up at no extra charge, since I am within the 30 day window.  They said it would be at my house on Saturday.  Not bad for Xmas Season delivery.

Good luck.  I'm sure everything will work out.

Just after posting, I got a notice the one I got online has been sent to shipping...

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm still waiting to get my machine...  I ordered and paid for my ResMed 10 and a nasal pillow in December but I didn't read my prescription that said "full mask" so it stopped my order.  Dr provided me a new prescription to include nasal pillows and sent it in but that apparently sent my order to the back of the line.  Of course, supplier is now out of ResMed 10's. 

I was contacted by the supplier about 10 days ago and they said they had my order and because they can't get the 10's anymore, they would be sending a 11 but there is also now a backlog on those (2-6 weeks...)  I was ready to cancel that order but when i talked to the local place, I'd now have to pay an additional $300 (as the deductible for 2022 hasn't yet been met) plus their rental plan was $40/10 months while the online vendor was $40/5 months so I'm going to wait it out...  Argh...

On 12/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Medical Update:

I got my CPAP last Friday and have been using it every night.

The good news: Programming and set up was a breeze, wife has not complained about snoring at all, machine is quiet enough also, and I am getting usage scores of 100 out of 100 every night (5 nights) with about .5 events per hour. So all of the external factors are great.

The not so good news: My sleep is not so good, both by how I feel and as measured by my smart watch.  Not a huge drop, but noticeable.  I think some of it is getting used to the treatment, but I feel like I am waking up or in light sleep too much.  I wake at night sometimes and mess with breathing, allowing pressure to build up, releasing through my mouth etc., and go back to sleep.  I think one possibility is that I try to mouth breath once I try to begin snoring, and then go back to nasal breathing, but it kind of startles me so I come out of sleep at least 3-5 times per night.  I have tried sleeping without my MAD and that makes the mouth breathing worse.  I am not generally a mouth breather, but am interested in what a full mask might do.  I will give it some more time, but given the proper working of the treatment side, I think I might need some kind of adjustments. Any thoughts?

More update:

Started with nasal mask and above issues.  Tried the Phillips mask that Mo recommended and it was almost impossible to adjust so that I would not be leaking air all night, plus not so great sleep.  Finally got full face mask and while not a miracle, it is checking most of the boxes.  Sleep quality on my smart watch has jumped from highs of around 75% sleep quality maybe only once a week to highs of around 84% 3-4 times per week.   I was also able to ditch my MAD with the full mask.  Events per hour have jumped to about 2-4/hr, but I don't even notice.

• 4 months later...

back to the machine and mask for me.  A little background- victim of UPPP in 2007, never helped once, then I had my turbinates drilled out in 2013.  I never adjusted well to the machine.  Never used it.  I have now lost weight.  Summer 2020 - 240, the other day 216 - 57 years old.  5' 11" Never too old, right? 

Did the at-home test the other day, Apnea supposed to be down to mild... feels just as bad as ever to me, but what do I know?  am thinking full face mask.  Dr. wanted to know if I have dry mouth when I wake up...said yes.  

I meet with respiratory therapist to pick masks next month.  Other than full face mask any advice?  Do all machines require distilled water?  Are masks and machines much better than ten years ago? Sure hoping for that. 

6 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

back to the machine and mask for me.  A little background- victim of UPPP in 2007, never helped once, then I had my turbinates drilled out in 2013.  I never adjusted well to the machine.  Never used it.  I have now lost weight.  Summer 2020 - 240, the other day 216 - 57 years old.  5' 11" Never too old, right? 

Did the at-home test the other day, Apnea supposed to be down to mild... feels just as bad as ever to me, but what do I know?  am thinking full face mask.  Dr. wanted to know if I have dry mouth when I wake up...said yes.  

I meet with respiratory therapist to pick masks next month.  Other than full face mask any advice?  Do all machines require distilled water?  Are masks and machines much better than ten years ago? Sure hoping for that. 

Yes, they are better, not perfect, but better. Always safer to start with a full face and you can change it later if it doesn't work. All machines recommend distilled water, unless you turn off the humidifier.

Also, there are now 4 companies FDA approved (previously 2). One of the DME companies locally is getting lots of 3B machines. They seem to be good. They don't have the built in modem but otherwise it's very comparable. I have one patient who feels it is louder and is having a hard time, but most of my patient's haven't mentioned it as an issue.

https://3bproducts.com/

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Yes, they are better, not perfect, but better. Always safer to start with a full face and you can change it later if it doesn't work. All machines recommend distilled water, unless you turn off the humidifier.

Also, there are now 4 companies FDA approved (previously 2). One of the DME companies locally is getting lots of 3B machines. They seem to be good. They don't have the built in modem but otherwise it's very comparable. I have one patient who feels it is louder and is having a hard time, but most of my patient's haven't mentioned it as an issue.

https://3bproducts.com/

I have the 3B Luna II for my home unit, and have no complaints, other than it is quite large.

I have a separate travel unit(Breas Z2) that is much smaller and battery pack capable for travel/camping.

Questions for the experts, after some background:

Sleep doc agreed to fast-track the delivery of CPAP machine and mask.   The company providing the mask (picked by lady at dr. office) warned me the earliest appointment would be a month out, an appointment with a respiratory therapist to fit the mask.   I agreed to the appointment in Irving, June 24, because I am currently spending time in Euless.  Ro-tech has several locations in Texas, and I am spending time in the Austin area as well later in June.    Ro-tech has exhibited the worst telephone customer service I have ever experienced.  It takes them an hour to come to the phone.  They were so slow today that  by the time the agent knew what to do, to get the Austin office on the phone, the Austin office was closed, it was 4:05 p.m. 

After that little experience I called my insurance company, Meritain, and got the list of DMEs sent to me.  Other possibilities are:  CVS Health Hub, Lincare, American Home Patient, and Apria. 

Do I stick with Ro-tech, or assume the rest of the company is as bad as the phone operations? Of the companies listed above, does any company stand out as being better than the others? Should I check with my sleep doc and make sure the prescription starts with a full-face mask, or is that something that would not necessarily be on there? 

5 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

Questions for the experts, after some background:

Sleep doc agreed to fast-track the delivery of CPAP machine and mask.   The company providing the mask (picked by lady at dr. office) warned me the earliest appointment would be a month out, an appointment with a respiratory therapist to fit the mask.   I agreed to the appointment in Irving, June 24, because I am currently spending time in Euless.  Ro-tech has several locations in Texas, and I am spending time in the Austin area as well later in June.    Ro-tech has exhibited the worst telephone customer service I have ever experienced.  It takes them an hour to come to the phone.  They were so slow today that  by the time the agent knew what to do, to get the Austin office on the phone, the Austin office was closed, it was 4:05 p.m. 

After that little experience I called my insurance company, Meritain, and got the list of DMEs sent to me.  Other possibilities are:  CVS Health Hub, Lincare, American Home Patient, and Apria. 

Do I stick with Ro-tech, or assume the rest of the company is as bad as the phone operations? Of the companies listed above, does any company stand out as being better than the others? Should I check with my sleep doc and make sure the prescription starts with a full-face mask, or is that something that would not necessarily be on there? 

Whatever you do, under no circumstances should you even consider speaking to Lincare.  They are so fucked up it's unreal.  I ordered a replacement mask, hose and filters from them a couple years ago.  They sent me like 4x the amount of what i ordered.  I then got to deal with their customer service people over and over for the next 6 months to get things straightened out.  And even they admitted to me that it was all fucked up, but it took multiple phone calls to finally get it sorted.  I think they do that shit on purpose and count on old people to just pay them when the bill comes.

My snoring was pretty bad. My wife was bitching quite a bit about it. I was going to take the Apnea test, but then I lost 45 # and evidently I do t snore at all anymore. (I still am woken every night by my 58 year old bladder). 

I have a never used (according to machine diagnostics) Resmed machine that was my brother’s (he died January 2021). I was going to sell it to one of the resale companies, but it smells like smoke (because his place stank like smoke). If that doesn’t bug any of you and you want to buy it, PM me an offer. 

I am sticking with the DME that doesn't answer their phone, but I was able to change the appointment to the San Antonio location, and sooner, 06/20,  where they do answer the phone and they seem to have a brain in SA!

I have already met my deductible for the year.  The lady mentioned renting some equipment.  

Rent vs. buy?   

I'm also thinking about calling two weeks or so before the appointment to ask which machines they have. They will probably say they only carry one machine.  If I am given the choice about which machine, I will follow up here, and get opinions.  

I have somehow discovered the $500 rule.  If the insurance company will be billed more than $500 by the DME, there needs to be recertification to a mysterious company, Medical Rehabilitation Consultants.   I will call my sleep doc on Tuesday to give him this assignment.  

Anybody know anything about the $500 pre-cert. rule? 

• 3 weeks later...

Update, the super-nice lady in San Antonio's Ro-tech who was going to help figure out this stuff has quit. Talked to a rookie, and she spilled the beans that Ro-Tech is most likely going to try to make me rent a machine for 12 months and then it will be mine.  NO dice, I told her.  I called my insurance company for backup and they have a rule that if the total amount goes over $500, they can recommend the machine be purchased.  (I have already met my deductible for the year). The insurance company needs to see the prescription to include length of time.  I called the doc's office and I have a winner I think.  Dr. office lady says the prescription reads 99 months! Yea! This means it will be recommended to buy the machine, and I won't have to pay much.  I should only have to pay 10% of the cost over $500.   Good luck to me.  I bet Ro-tech will have a hard time with that, but if I have to walk out of there with no mask and no machine, then that is what I will do.  

• 1 month later...

epilogue - Ro-tech sucks. they sent me a mean email, because their app doesn't work, but I talked to a nice supervisor who claimed to have written mean email.  The machine actually tracks the usage itself, up to a year.  I need to have four hours of usage 21 of 30 consecutive days.  

Now I know why the lady tech at the sleep doc's office gave me a mean look the other day.  The sleep doc didn't care about usage, he was happy the leaks were minimal and the incidents of apnea were very low. 

Frigging DME... I told them to just send me replacement supplies ONLY when I asked them. They sent me new nasal pillows that I didn't need as old ones still were fine. Then doctor called and said I needed new appointment before approving a new "prescription" as the DME was still trying to approve another shipment that I hadn't requested (I told them to reject the DME). 

Few weeks later and I get a box of new hoses and masks I didn't order...  Now their billing department is calling to ask me to verify my insurance so they can send more.  I told them I didn't want another damn thing as I previously told them not to send more until I requested it and now I have more than a year supply I still haven't touched...  (I keep my mask and hose clean and sterilize them weekly and they all still work fine...)

Frigging DME... I told them to just send me replacement supplies ONLY when I asked them. They sent me new nasal pillows that I didn't need as old ones still were fine. Then doctor called and said I needed new appointment before approving a new "prescription" as the DME was still trying to approve another shipment that I hadn't requested (I told them to reject the DME). 
Few weeks later and I get a box of new hoses and masks I didn't order...  Now their billing department is calling to ask me to verify my insurance so they can send more.  I told them I didn't want another damn thing as I previously told them not to send more until I requested it and now I have more than a year supply I still haven't touched...  (I keep my mask and hose clean and sterilize them weekly and they all still work fine...)
Cpap companies are the devil. They definitely prey on old people.

A year and a half into CPAP therapy and I've gained 15 pounds. At first I started to feel good but now I'm not seeing any benefit. I'm waking up exhausted whether I use the machine or not. My sleep doc said nothing from the machine is indicating air leakage or pressures not in range. 

My biggest concern is the weight. I've never been 235 and as the weeks go by I'm freaked out I might hit 240 (a personal record). 

I used my CPAP for the first time in several years.  I gave up on it since I couldn't sleep well with it (I toss and turn).  I thought I'd give it another try.  Now I have weird issue that air is blowing through the corner of my right eye.  What the fuck?  Anyone hear of this happening?  

I have been on cpap for about 20 years. I am a horrific snorer that can rattle a house. My last sleep study I had 90 episodes an hour, meaning my brain was waking up every 45 seconds.

I have a ResMed and it’s fantastic. I finally got a great mask. I feel great using it but my habits suck. Even though I clean it with sonicare every day I will usually get a sinus congestion problem after four nights and I won’t use it for a week. Drs just shake their head.

A cousin could not adjust to cpap and had surgery to remove his uvula and tighten his throat. It worked, no apnea or snoring, loves it but the recovery was rough.

I’m considering this Inspire procedure. It’s an implant in the chest with a wire into the throat to control snoring. Anyone had this done?

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I have been on cpap for about 20 years. I am a horrific snorer that can rattle a house. My last sleep study I had 90 episodes an hour, meaning my brain was waking up every 45 seconds.

I have a ResMed and it’s fantastic. I finally got a great mask. I feel great using it but my habits suck. Even though I clean it with sonicare every day I will usually get a sinus congestion problem after four nights and I won’t use it for a week. Drs just shake their head.

A cousin could not adjust to cpap and had surgery to remove his uvula and tighten his throat. It worked, no apnea or snoring, loves it but the recovery was rough.

I’m considering this Inspire procedure. It’s an implant in the chest with a wire into the throat to control snoring. Anyone had this done?

Have you tried an ozone cleaner? 

• 8 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Have you checked with your insurance as to what the replacement schedule is? Some are three years some are five. Have you checked with your equipment supplier? If it is irreparably damaged ins will probably replace; or maybe it can be repaired. Google cpap repair.

Appreciate the help.  My insurance provides a new machine every 5 years - I have another 1-1/2 year to get there.  Sent it back to the manufacturer this week for possible repairs (depends on price).  My doc thought it would take about 4 weeks to get it back.  Thinking of trying a Zyppah to bridge the gap.  I feel pretty shitty and tired, need the CPAP back.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

How do you program it?

When I bought my travel machine, I sent my script in to them. At least with my doc, the settings were on the script. Came pre-programmed, but I have also gotten into the programming menu to make some edits, as this machine runs slightly weaker than my full size at home.

I’m reading that soclean 2 has had some issues with actual performance, and I have to say I can’t go more than three days without getting a sinus infection it seems.

I’m looking at the UV cleaners that are out there vs the SoClean3. Anyone have experience with the UV products?