Burgers across Texas

dogbreath

Buffs burger in Houston is good.  But lately,  been liking Mia's cheeseburger.   Sorta has a high quality burger from a little league field (somehow,  that's a compliment) taste to it.  Buffs is a touch more natural and organic to me,  which is and isn't always a good thing.

Edited by Hornbeliever

• 2 weeks later...
Any love up in here for Hat Creek Burger Co.?

Haven’t checked this thread in a while, so sorry for the late response.

The appeal of hat creek is the family-friendly atmosphere and playground for the kids. It ain’t the food. Now, the food isn’t bad. It’s just.... fine. If someone wants to meet there for a hang with the family I’m not gonna complain. It’s a decent burger. But if I want a “good” burger, it’s not where I would go. It would not be on my list of top-30 burgers in Austin.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Haven’t checked this thread in a while, so sorry for the late response.

The appeal of hat creek is the family-friendly atmosphere and playground for the kids. It ain’t the food. Now, the food isn’t bad. It’s just.... fine. If someone wants to meet there for a hang with the family I’m not gonna complain. It’s a decent burger. But if I want a “good” burger, it’s not where I would go. It would not be on my list of top-30 burgers in Austin.

They do their thing and do it well.  If I go to my sister’s house and get a glass out of the cabinet there are at least 10 Hat Creek cups in there.  They have 2 kids, 6 & 3.

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Was in Waco today and went by Cupp’s. That’s a damn good burger. Only one or two more on the Waco burger list that I haven’t tried.06ef6153d7d065e84a161616e773a4d9.jpg

have any specific favorites from the waco list? top 2 or 3?

going to be going there some next fall and may want to take a break from Helberg

• Hook 'Em 1

When I'm feeling too lazy to make the 35 min drive to Herd's in Jacksboro I head to the local place - the Mineral Wells Dairy Mart.  Here's some of their online pix:

The place,

11745866_973822206002594_222501751728468

the menu,

wmmenu1217176730.jpg

the House Burger,

23632253_1679429345441873_45377067336110

& some options.

122678080_3659212934130161_7344306808479

Enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:09 PM, elfenix said:

i have never been impressed with southwell's.  only location i've been to is san felipe. 

Southwell's is what it is, a Fancy Whataburger with more menu options. It's not the best burger in Houston, and I don't think anyone would call it that. 

I'd put Mytiburger in the same category. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

I feel like it’s been asked somewhere before, but what are some good ones in Houston? Huge fan of Southwells, but I don’t think I’ve had a burger that’s not skinny patties anywhere good in quite a while. 

Been to Bubba's Burger Shack a few times when I go to Houston for work.  Pretty solid burgers.

4 minutes ago, Jester said:

Been to Bubba's Burger Shack a few times when I go to Houston for work.  Pretty solid burgers.

Bubba's dropped the Bison Sirloin Steak Sandwich from their menu. That was a blow. Their bison chili is outstanding. 

I wouldn't recommend their bison burger. It's too lean. Definitely order a beef burger. 

Just crushed (or it crushed me) the Tex-Lina brisket burger at Smokey Cheeks on Mangum across from Delmar Stadium.   Brisket burger with chili, cheese, slaw and pickles on a brioche.  

It was quite tasty but a mess to eat.  The bun couldn’t keep pace with the chili grease.   

380E267C-EC47-4C72-BF82-6F7F36C268D5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bubba's dropped the Bison Sirloin Steak Sandwich from their menu. That was a blow. Their bison chili is outstanding. 

I wouldn't recommend their bison burger. It's too lean. Definitely order a beef burger. 

Gagree.  After a few samplings, I'm stuck on the beef Vegas burger.  

19 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Was in Waco today and went by Cupp’s. That’s a damn good burger. Only one or two more on the Waco burger list that I haven’t tried.06ef6153d7d065e84a161616e773a4d9.jpg

Cupp's is really good, I'd rate them as number one of the places in that area that I've tried. I don't mind the Health Camp burgers when we're in Waco, either though--the kiddos like the shakes.

@Patricio Swayze. Top of the Hill has super burgers, but their garlic parmesan french fries are very tasty as well. We split a batch the last time we were there and I think I would drive out of my way to have those again.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, NoName said:

have any specific favorites from the waco list? top 2 or 3?

going to be going there some next fall and may want to take a break from Helberg

My top 2 in Waco would be Dubl-R and Cupp’s. I have not been to Christi’s or Dave’s yet. I like that the owner is involved in the daily business or cooking at both Cupp’s and Dubl-R. Both burgers are damn good and worth a visit. Both of these places are small, if you go, make sure to avoid the rush hour. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, RMac5 said:

My top 2 in Waco would be Dubl-R and Cupp’s. I have not been to Christi’s or Dave’s yet. I like that the owner is involved in the daily business or cooking at both Cupp’s and Dubl-R. Both burgers are damn good and worth a visit. Both of these places are small, if you go, make sure to avoid the rush hour. 

appreciate it, thanks man!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, RMac5 said:

Haven't tried those two. With the pandemic, we haven't traveled that way much of late. The XC and track seasons were when we were most often there and I was working my way through different local places. Will put them on our list!

I'm a dumbass and didn't take a picture.  But we were in Fort Worth today to drop off some stereo gear to be repaired (long story and longer drive), and afterward, we stopped by Vickery Cafe, which was just up the street.  The burger was mighty tasty.  The breakfast looked amazing, too.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fuck it, double posting this since this is the more appropriate thread. 

I was passing through Evant, Texas yesterday and got a burger at the Elk Stop. Really fantastic hamburger. I got the western cheeseburger (pepper Jack, jalapeños and jalapeño sourdough bun). It’s unfortunate that it’s in the middle of nowhere, because that’s a damn good burger. 

image.thumb.jpeg.21131651924d4cf00166d50429ba2b77.jpeg

Going to see your mom in Gatesville?

• 3 months later...

Who’s gonna try this first? 

Pickle lovers, rejoice!

For a limited time, Sonic Drive-In locations will be offering two new menu items that are perfect for pickle enthusiasts everywhere: the big dill cheeseburger and pickle fries.

The latest cheeseburger concoction, which includes crispy pickle fries, crinkle cut pickle slices, and a dill-infused ranch sauce, will be available at drive-ins nationwide beginning May 2, although Sonic App users can snag an early taste starting Monday.

In addition to the big dill, Sonic fans will also have the chance to purchase the pickle fries (fried dill pickle spears cut in a fry shape) as a separate, on-the-go snack.

spacer.png

I don’t think the food stylists at Sonic have ever been to an actual store for a meal. No way in hell a Sonic cook with 9 face tats can make that burger.

Fried spears won’t lay right and will squirt out if you’re eating in the car. Chips yes spears no. I don’t like their new meat or buns. The burgers were better fifteen years ago.

It’s a no for me

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t think the food stylists at Sonic have ever been to an actual store for a meal. No way in hell a Sonic cook with 9 face tats can make that burger.

Fried spears won’t lay right and will squirt out if you’re eating in the car. Chips yes spears no. I don’t like their new meat or buns. The burgers were better fifteen years ago.

It’s a no for me

I've never really thought about putting fried pickle chips on a burger before, and it's such a simple idea. 

On 1/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I was passing through Evant, Texas yesterday and got a burger at the Elk Stop. Really fantastic hamburger. I got the western cheeseburger (pepper Jack, jalapeños and jalapeño sourdough bun). It’s unfortunate that it’s in the middle of nowhere, because that’s a damn good burger. 

that’s too much bun. 

Just catching up on this thread after over a year...

Lived in Waco for about 20 years starting in the mid 70s.  

Health Camp used to be greatness.  Shakes\Malts and their double meat cheeseburgers were tough to beat.  They sold out or changed how they did things for a bit and switched back for a time.  

Kitok was a mainstay for lunch for me and the wife while I was going to MCC.  She would often get there before me and get a table and then have to fend off Kitok from kicking out of the place because she was waiting on me to arrive.  Kitok did not allow for post lunch chit chat.  She was all about turning over those tables..  You ate, you paid, you left.  Lip Locker and Oriental fries was so damned good.

Cupp's is the quintessential greasy spoon.  It's probably my go to in Waco since it is off the interstate.  I have never had a bad meal there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

And in other burger news... 

You no longer need to try to mash potato chips on top of your burger. Kraft Heinz is out with Heinz Dip & Crunch.

The company announced the two-in-one dipping package on Tuesday. It's got a new Heinz sauce on one side and "salty potato crunchers" on the other side. The product was tested earlier this year at select Jack in the Box restaurants on the West Coast. Now, the product is set to roll out at major retailers, including Walmart and Target, as well as at regional grocers Giant and Meijer, with a suggested retail price of $2.49.

According to a company press release, the burger dipping sauce is made with tomato puree, molasses, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic powder, tamarind concentrate, onion powder and spices. The debut also includes a spicy version that "adds a dimension of heat" to the secret sauce.

spacer.png

Had the Giant Heart Attack at Billy Bob's in Devine the other day.  Definitely lived up to its name.  That was a long, uncomfortable drive back to SA...

D84C1B6E-2A4B-4284-983F-2ECB444A8E8A.jpeg.fe42b35382dee199e70c7d21778308e8.jpeg
B151CCFF-90A9-4C6C-9566-2ACE134783F8.thumb.jpeg.eba8aa74fba49b74614201b5859a19bd.jpeg

Do you have an articulating jaw like a python? That looks fucking awesomeness.

If you got a diet Mountain Dew it makes that a healthy lunch.

20 hours ago, Cajun said:

Had the Giant Heart Attack at Billy Bob's in Devine the other day.  Definitely lived up to its name.  That was a long, uncomfortable drive back to SA...

D84C1B6E-2A4B-4284-983F-2ECB444A8E8A.jpeg

B151CCFF-90A9-4C6C-9566-2ACE134783F8.jpeg

The little Taqueria Jalisco just off the north east corner of I-35 and Highway 173 is pretty danged good. 

Have hit Billy Bob’s in Hondo and enjoyed it.  For a short spell, they had a very lovely young lass working the drive-thru window.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

My mom was born in Evant so this hits close to home.

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:49 PM, deadshank said:

The little Taqueria Jalisco just off the north east corner of I-35 and Highway 173 is pretty danged good. 

Have hit Billy Bob’s in Hondo and enjoyed it.  For a short spell, they had a very lovely young lass working the drive-thru window.   

I just passed Jalisco heading back to SA from the ranch & the place was packed solid.