Burgers across Texas

dogbreath

So the company I work for has “Field Execution” meetings at the Broadway Bar in Nordheim. I have been to Nordheim several times doing photography, but never stopped to eat. The first time I went, I had the Texadelphia cheesesteak. As a former cook at Tex on the drag, you better fucking come correct if you are going to call your “cheesesteak” a Texadelphia. But this last visit I had their Boom Boom burger and it was pretty tasty. Could have been a bit more substantial, but my fat ass didn’t necessarily need it. If you like eating amongst oil patch workers and local olds, check them out. Sorry, no pics. Don’t need my colleagues thinking I am weirder than they already think.

We went to the Austin rodeo earlier this year and there was a food truck advertising the “Holiday House” style hamburger.  I got their hickory burger and it was one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten.  This is it:

https://lonosketo.com

I have eaten more hamburgers in my life than pretty much anyone I know.  I get cravings for pretty much all of the chains; Whataburger, Culver’s, Sonic, P Terry’s, hell even McDonalds all have their time/place (fuck Wendy’s).  My favorite fancy/expensive burger is Clark’s in Austin.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

We went to the Austin rodeo earlier this year and there was a food truck advertising the “Holiday House” style hamburger.  I got their hickory burger and it was one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten.  This is it:

I have eaten more hamburgers in my life than pretty much anyone I know.  I get cravings for pretty much all of the chains; Whataburger, Culver’s, Sonic, P Terry’s, hell even McDonalds all have their time/place (fuck Wendy’s).  My favorite fancy/expensive burger is Clark’s in Austin.

Yep, she makes a badass burger.

On 5/16/2022 at 4:49 PM, Anastasis said:

that pic of the feisty fat ho looks on point. 

i went today for lunch…ordered the Feisty Ho with an egg.  legitimately one of the best burgers I’ve ever had in my 54 years of life.  potato bun soaked in butter and grilled, 1/3 lb burger cooked a perfect med/med rare with a great char, loaded with fresh toppings, didn’t skimp on the japs, and a slightly runny egg.  

ima end up paying her monthly utility bill.  

On 4/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, Deej said:

Likely. You never know to you try one, but it ain't gonna be Sonic that hits that combination out of the park. 

Pretty sure Goodfriend here in Dallas has a burger with fried pickle chips on it.  And I'm pretty sure it's delicious.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, Snake Diggity said:

I miss Holiday House, but used to live on Hilbert's and Dirty's OT special.   Damn there were a lot of great places in Austin at that time.  

I'll kick in Schroeder's Place in Thorndale.  They have unique hours so check before you go.  

https://restaurantguru.com/Schroeders-Place-Thorndale-Texas

9 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I miss Holiday House, but used to live on Hilbert's and Dirty's OT special.   Damn there were a lot of great places in Austin at that time.  

Still a lot of great places in Austin.  It's just that many of them aren't as cheap or accessible as the ones that came before.

But yeah Holiday House was iconic.  When I lived on North Campus, once per week my mom would buy me lunch anywhere I wanted, and I almost always picked the HH on Airport.

I grew up eating burgers from the Dairy King in Taft.  Burgers, fries and milk shakes.   They were small burgers meant to be eaten while driving a truck or tractor usually.  It's not one of these big stacked burgers, but the seasoning is spot on.  

I always have one when I go back down.  The place doesn't look like much, but from what I have heard from friends the food is just as good, and the menu has expanded a lot, with redfish tacos being popular.   I've never tried, since I always go for the burger.  

https://restaurantguru.com/Dairy-King-Corpus-Christi

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, Hate said:

Bill’s in downtown Burnet is a great dive burger place. It’s also got a great outdoor seating area.

My Mom's favorite hangout with her teacher buddies. I will go there one day when we can fly again or get ballsy enough to drive for 24 hours. 

With unvaxxed 4-year-old.

Of note, Storms is in Burnet.

image.png.988ab635b60a407918a24c2d8983ebb6.png

image.png.0a18041a030bcd83f87eea0bfa8674da.png

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Lee's Almost by the Lake, near the entrance to Paleface on Pacebend Rd. and Bee Creek Rd. Note, no sesame seeds on the bun. 

o.jpg

1-E5-A0263-0310-4-C95-AE88-96109-CC319-A

1-F05-E087-E235-47-DF-9405-3-BB0-F460-CA

Still there, eh? Ate many a burger there in the early to mid 90's. 

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Lone Star Light because you’re watching your calories.

The beer is free there on Thursdays and Fridays.  You get what you get.  I don't make the rules.

However, Lone Star Light is very refreshing and pairs well with a greasy badass double meat double cheese with fries.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Any of y’all remember the Sandy’s (then renamed Sandeez) in Lake Travis on 620?  I havent been in 4-5yrs and I she sold it in the early 2010s.  

No relation to the Barton Springs location but that was a fantastic burger

It's in the other burger thread. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 3:39 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

In addition to the big dill, Sonic fans will also have the chance to purchase the pickle fries (fried dill pickle spears cut in a fry shape) as a separate, on-the-go snack.

Don’t bother with these, nothing impressive. 

Sonic’s regular cheeseburgers are 1/2 off on Tuesdays after 5. Pretty damn good for $2.25, just sub mustard for ketchup (mayo is already included also).