Burgers across Texas

dogbreath

We know some people who are on a journey to visit every county to check out the courthouses, so I'd like to to do the same for burgers.  What are your recommendations for each county?  Since there are 254 counties and the limitations of my gastric system, I will be proceeding at a slow pace of 2-3 days at a time, so any suggestions for other activities would be welcome.  Especially swimming holes.  

You can recommend the foo-foo burgers but I'd rather know of old timey cheeseburgers.   

As an example, several years ago we stopped at a convenience store on I-10 east of Beaumont and they had a nice looking grill so I went for the cheeseburger and it was fantastic--just an old time drug store burger. 

Just ate out at a joint for the first time since February. Drove 25 miles northwest of Round Rock/north Austin to the Andice General Store. Excellent goopy/drippy burgers. Mrs. Brat had the Hatch Green Chili Cheeseburger (too much mayo though) and I had the standard burger, washed down with a pint of Bill Pickett Porter. Would go back again.

E2520A4B-1D5E-4DEF-9267-B2182A6AE880.jpeg

129597B3-C3C8-4348-B1A8-3B44A435AE75.jpeg

6FA9632C-E233-42FE-BB96-35BA749B6539.jpeg

90D7C269-D85C-44EC-A2CC-8F3422CE2520.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Kelly’s burger stand in Collin county is pretty damn good. Not open Sundays. Sides are chips and a can of soda because they don’t fry anything. Just a flat top grill burger from the beef they raise on their farm.  Also best grilled cheese ever. They cook it in the beef fat on the flat top. http://kellyfamilyfarms.com/burger-stand/

Non traditional burger that is awesome is the cowtown deluxe at kincaids over by Fort Worth, they have a couple locations, have not been to the original in Fort Worth.

https://www.kincaidshamburgers.com

There is a Chevron out near Hawkins Texas in Wood county that has a really good hamburger. Like the best version of a Whataburger style burger you can get with just the right amount of grease. You’ll need a nap afterwards lol.

2278 FM2869, Hawkins, TX 75765 

^^^I’m 99% sure this is the one but it’s been a few years. I can get it confirmed if anyone wants to venture that way. 

Mr hamburger in Huntsville is also really good and has been around a long time. Only been there once as well but would go back without hesitation anytime I’m around Huntsville. 

https://mr-hamburger.com

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fuck yes.

JFC I love some double R. Strongest contender for McLennan County. Have not been to Kitox’s in years, they used to be my go to but fell off hard in the last few years.

There is a hole in the wall south of Possum Kingdom that was fantastic. I’ll have to look it up. Should be on the surly list.

Growing up, used to eat at the Birch Diner after a long day on Lake Summerville. It was in a trailer home. And it was glorious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Frankford and coit next to the hot & creamy donuts (nw).

I lived in the apartments across the street from Central Market for a year about 5 years ago.  I believe they occupy the space that my dry cleaners occupied when I lived there.  That is the worst possible location for a restaurant.  No entrance from the 190 access road.  You either have to snake your way through the 7-11 parking lot or deal with the light at Frankfort.  

To get this back on topic, I need to figure out the names/locations/status of a few places I’ve had a great burger at on some W. Texas excursions over  the last 5 years.  

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I lived in the apartments across the street from Central Market for a year about 5 years ago.  I believe they occupy the space that my dry cleaners occupied when I lived there.  That is the worst possible location for a restaurant.  No entrance from the 190 access road.  You either have to snake your way through the 7-11 parking lot or deal with the light at Frankfort.  

To get this back on topic, I need to figure out the names/locations/status of a few places I’ve had a great burger at on some W. Texas excursions over  the last 5 years.  

First time I thought I was going inside the 7/11 at first

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Just ate out at a joint for the first time since February. Drove 25 miles northwest of Round Rock/north Austin to the Andice General Store. Excellent goopy/drippy burgers. Mrs. Brat had the Hatch Green Chili Cheeseburger (too much mayo though) and I had the standard burger, washed down with a pint of Bill Pickett Porter. Would go back again.

E2520A4B-1D5E-4DEF-9267-B2182A6AE880.jpeg

129597B3-C3C8-4348-B1A8-3B44A435AE75.jpeg

6FA9632C-E233-42FE-BB96-35BA749B6539.jpeg

90D7C269-D85C-44EC-A2CC-8F3422CE2520.jpeg

No pics of the burger?

tenor.gif

Hays City Store is our go to burger place.  They have a variety of specialty burgers- Bacon Jam Burger is probably my favorite.  I usually just go with a cheeseburger though.  Fries can be a little hit or miss but I am seeing more consistency towards being good all the time..  My wife loves their onion rings.

In Waco, it used to be Kitok or Cupps.