Garbage disposals

jimmyjazz

Got a spoon caught under the blades of our garbage disposal.  The disposal is several years old, and in my experience it might be nearing end of life, because nothing works past warranty period any more.

I'm going to try to remove it, take it (slightly?) apart and remove the spoon, reassemble and reinstall, but I'm not real hopeful.  That thing is bent and stuck, seemingly permanently.

If I need to put in a new disposal, what are the go-to brands?  I have tried to school my family that disposals are designed to handle nothing but water and maybe a dollop of jello, but every once in awhile I find the peels from about 8 onions along with celery, kite string, a couple of shingles and some sacrificial chicken bones down there.  I have resigned myself to the fact that every once in awhile I'll need to replace mine, but if there is one out there that is more robust, I'm all ears.  Eyes.  Whatever.

There's two water connections and a plug.

Disconnect all and take off.  Hard twist should do it.  Once removed take out spoon and beat whatever child that got it stuck and reinstall.  10 minutes tops.

If you can't get spoon out go to home depot and buy midrange replacement.

But wait til tomorrow.  Depot closing soon.

You may be able to unwind the spoon by turning disposer backwards with the Alan Wrench. I would try that without removing it (flip the breaker if that makes you feel better). If you remove it, just go ahead and replace it... it’s not worth your time....

If you end up replacing...

Here’s a similar model to what I replaced mine with several years back:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/InSinkErator-Evolution-3-4-HP-Continuous-Feed-Noise-Insulation-Garbage-Disposal/1000068731

-Insulated so it’s quiet
- good motor
- Sink baffle opening is small so it catches most things so you can scoop it and toss it in the garbage can. This may be annoying to those who want everything to go down the disposer but it’s great for those who realize the impact of sending garbage down the plumbing.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Got a spoon caught under the blades of our garbage disposal.  The disposal is several years old, and in my experience it might be nearing end of life, because nothing works past warranty period any more.

I'm going to try to remove it, take it (slightly?) apart and remove the spoon, reassemble and reinstall, but I'm not real hopeful.  That thing is bent and stuck, seemingly permanently.

If I need to put in a new disposal, what are the go-to brands?  I have tried to school my family that disposals are designed to handle nothing but water and maybe a dollop of jello, but every once in awhile I find the peels from about 8 onions along with celery, kite string, a couple of shingles and some sacrificial chicken bones down there.  I have resigned myself to the fact that every once in awhile I'll need to replace mine, but if there is one out there that is more robust, I'm all ears.  Eyes.  Whatever.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I grabbed the wrench that came with the disposal, torqued backwards, and with some grunting, voila!  (wallah!), I was able to get the spoon out. 

Much additional cursing averted, thanks for the recs.

This story warms my heart.

Your stuff goes off the rails due to some simple bullshittery going off script, you despair, you collect yourself, consult with Surly, you give it a try and BOOM:  fixed. 

I hope you spiked the Allen wrench on the kitchen floor and did an endzone dance.  (OK, maybe you shouldn’t dance).  

10 hours ago, Poolflood said:

There's two water connections and a plug.

Disconnect all and take off.  Hard twist should do it.  Once removed take out spoon and beat whatever child that got it stuck and reinstall.  10 minutes tops.

If you can't get spoon out go to home depot and buy midrange replacement.

But wait til tomorrow.  Depot closing soon.

Buy a badger but buy it at Ferguson instead Home Depot or any other big box. The big box versions are cheaper since they're made with cheaper parts and won’t last as long.  

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Had a plumber out a few months ago.  He told me that he does very well because people women think they can put anything down the disposal

This.

And the best lesson I learned was to replace your disposal with the exact same brand because the plumbing will line up. 

13 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

You may be able to unwind the spoon by turning disposer backwards with the Alan Wrench. I would try that without removing it (flip the breaker if that makes you feel better). If you remove it, just go ahead and replace it... it’s not worth your time....

If you end up replacing...

Here’s a similar model to what I replaced mine with several years back:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/InSinkErator-Evolution-3-4-HP-Continuous-Feed-Noise-Insulation-Garbage-Disposal/1000068731

-Insulated so it’s quiet
- good motor
- Sink baffle opening is small so it catches most things so you can scoop it and toss it in the garbage can. This may be annoying to those who want everything to go down the disposer but it’s great for those who realize the impact of sending garbage down the plumbing.

mine crapped out about a month ago and i replaced it with this. well worth the price. it's fucking powerful and super quiet. so quiet that i had to confirm i had installed it right.

it's a pain in the ass to install because it's awkward being below the sink, but difficulty wise it's pretty simple

mine crapped out about a month ago and i replaced it with this. well worth the price. it's fucking powerful and super quiet. so quiet that i had to confirm i had installed it right.
it's a pain in the ass to install because it's awkward being below the sink, but difficulty wise it's pretty simple

Pro tip....

Use a car jack like a scissor jack as a second set of hands. Jack up the disposer to get it close, line it up, and twist.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Attempting to replace a GE disposal at my mom's house.  I've replaced 2 in my life, so I felt reasonably confident  it was going to be about an hour's worth of work, and that was if I was very deliberate.

Let's just say, whoever installed it sucked ass.  I've never once looked in that cabinet through the 16 years since the house was built.  The disposal was coated with a layer of grime and filth that was just plain nasty.  Over time, evidently all of that debris and grime became something of a cement between the collar and the top of the disposal.  Sumbeech wouldn't turn by hand.  Then I couldn't turn it with my ginourmous channel locks, so then I tried to go "old school oil filter removal system" and jam a screwdriver into the side of the disposal and...yep...I i broke the screwdriver in half( actually a bit proud of my old man, stupid strength.)  Then I got out the hammer and had a very good spot to bang on it.  Like with women, i had zero persuasion.  So, I had to get back home for another commitment, 120 miles away.

On the way home I was guessing how much it might cost to call a buttcrack to come out and remove that disposal...OR... I could just pull that whole fucking sink out and replace it for about $120.( I already bought a new disposal and parts, and considered the plumber might not even want to use my stuff either.)

What would you do?

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I would make it my life’s mission to defeat that disposal. I would never let a simple home appliance defeat me.  I would also utilize fire in some manner.

LOlz.  That may still happen once I get it out of the house.   I was plenty pissed today, but don't want to F up my mom's kitchen.

Big sledge is almost certainly in the equation, Office Space style.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:58 PM, slorch said:

Attempting to replace a GE disposal at my mom's house.  I've replaced 2 in my life, so I felt reasonably confident  it was going to be about an hour's worth of work, and that was if I was very deliberate.

Let's just say, whoever installed it sucked ass.  I've never once looked in that cabinet through the 16 years since the house was built.  The disposal was coated with a layer of grime and filth that was just plain nasty.  Over time, evidently all of that debris and grime became something of a cement between the collar and the top of the disposal.  Sumbeech wouldn't turn by hand.  Then I couldn't turn it with my ginourmous channel locks, so then I tried to go "old school oil filter removal system" and jam a screwdriver into the side of the disposal and...yep...I i broke the screwdriver in half( actually a bit proud of my old man, stupid strength.)  Then I got out the hammer and had a very good spot to bang on it.  Like with women, i had zero persuasion.  So, I had to get back home for another commitment, 120 miles away.

On the way home I was guessing how much it might cost to call a buttcrack to come out and remove that disposal...OR... I could just pull that whole fucking sink out and replace it for about $120.( I already bought a new disposal and parts, and considered the plumber might not even want to use my stuff either.)

What would you do?

Scrape as much grime as you can.  Heat it, lube it, try again.  

Or just yank it all.  Your Mom might appreciate a new sink anyway.  

So today, pulled out old sink. Easy peasy. Replaced it while being very deliberate and only wanting to do shit once. Had to run to the store and get wire nuts for the disposer ,  because I’m a dumbass. Had to shorten a drainline and using the cement with the coupling made me think of my grandfather who plumbed his whole house and installed a sprinkler system with me one summer.  That part was cool.  Mom was so happy with everything and that made it even better.  

POS garbage disposal  got beat to hell by the dumpster. Neighbor was laughing at me. I asked him if he wanted a swing with the sledge.  He just laughed more. 

Overall good experience. 

Edited by slorch