Runner in Utah Canyon Stalked by Cougar

TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

You wouldn't want to have to crouch down, giving the impression you are threatening or going to attach.  Nor would I want to duck down while walking backwards, you fall.....it's your ass.  She was bluffing.  Bluff back. 

I think the second you launch a projectile, she's gone, and you've just re created the reason man was able to come down out of the trees, and evolve.

16 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think the second you launch a projectile, she's gone, and you've just re created the reason man was able to come down out of the trees, and evolve.

It's the time and coordination it takes to bend down while walking backward while keeping your eyes on the cat and dealing with arguably the biggest adrenaline dump of your life.  Lot can go wrong, and you stumble and/or fall, they can be on you.  Pound for pound they are among the strongest of all cats and can take down a bull elk....A mountain horse with spears coming out of it's head.  You are a walking meat bag.....;)

In hindsight.  She was bluffing. She was just shooing that dude away.   Easy to say now.  At the time, it's terrifying.  I think chucking rocks might escalate things, especially if you hit her.  But who knows?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

It's the time and coordination it takes to bend down while walking backward while keeping your eyes on the cat and dealing with arguably the biggest adrenaline dump of your life.  Lot can go wrong, and you stumble and/or fall, they can be on you.  Pound for pound they are among the strongest of all cats and can take down a bull elk....A mountain horse with spears coming out of it's head.  You are a walking meat bag.....;)

In hindsight.  She was bluffing. She was just shooing that dude away.   Easy to say now.  At the time, it's terrifying.  I think chucking rocks might escalate things, especially if you hit her.  But who knows?

Isn't that literally what he did to end the encounter? You see him bend down to pick up a rock and heave it at her right before she runs off. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Isn't that literally what he did to end the encounter? You see him bend down to pick up a rock and heave it at her right before she runs off. 

Looked like she was already falling back and she'd shooed him off, giving him the time to bend now.  At that point, seemed superfluous.  But again, who knows.  Best thing he did was call her bluff and make lots of noise and puff up.

I don't think anything the dude did other than move away from the area changed anything.  I don't think she was going to physically engage unless he stopped moving or moved toward her.  When she thought he was far enough away, back she went to tend to the younguns.

• Hook 'Em 2

"This sucks ass"

"This is scary"

"My heard is racing"

"Go get your babies"

"Shitface"

Doubt my expletives would be safe enough to air on the evening news

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When she thought he was far enough away, back she went to tend to the younguns.

Yep, you can see she keeps looking backward to where they were.  She's just shooing him off.  Good mama.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Even those kind of lunges were defensive in nature. Cats do that when defending territory, not when they're hunting. Also early on she turns sideways a lot, which is what cats do to project themselves as larger.  I don't guess mountain lions puff up like housecats.  I think she was just responding to a threat and was pretty unlikely to go aggressive unless he did.

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Looked like she was already falling back and she'd shooed him off, giving him the time to bend now.  At that point, seemed superfluous.  But again, who knows.  Best thing he did was call her bluff and make lots of noise and puff up.

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think anything the dude did other than move away from the area changed anything.  I don't think she was going to physically engage unless he stopped moving or moved toward her.  When she thought he was far enough away, back she went to tend to the younguns.

What are y'all looking at?!?!

5:34, she is still consistently advancing on him.

5:35, he pends down to pick up a rock. 

5:36-5:38, she is still clearly advancing.

5:39, he throws a rock (and you can still see her advancing as he starts the throwing motion). 

5:42, you see she is running off AFTER he throws a rock. 

Seriously, I don't think her retreat immediately after he throws a rock is coincidental at all. 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Well, it's probably especially tough if you can't put your phone down and have to worry about trying to keep the cat in the center of the screen while you are doing all that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

What are y'all looking at?!?!

5:34, she is still consistently advancing on him.

5:35, he pends down to pick up a rock. 

5:36-5:38, she is still clearly advancing.

5:39, he throws a rock (and you can still see her advancing as he starts the throwing motion). 

5:42, you see she is running off AFTER he throws a rock. 

Seriously, I don't think her retreat immediately after he throws a rock is coincidental at all. 

I think you're right. Assuming he's left handed, his body slowly shifts left (presumably from lining up his throw), then lurches right (presumably the throw). 

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

It's the time and coordination it takes to bend down while walking backward while keeping your eyes on the cat and dealing with arguably the biggest adrenaline dump of your life.  

Especially when you're holding your telephone so you can post your experience on insta.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol idiots carrying a gun while hiking as if you are actually going to manage to get it out of the holster and fire off a shot without killing/injuring yourself, your hiking partners, or some other hikers. I mean do you hike like you are SWAT taking down a terrorist safe house?

JFC, if you are that scared of a mountain lion, keep your pussy ass in the gift shop.

37 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Lol idiots carrying a gun while hiking as if you are actually going to manage to get it out of the holster and fire off a shot without killing/injuring yourself, your hiking partners, or some other hikers. I mean do you hike like you are SWAT taking down a terrorist safe house?

JFC, if you are that scared of a mountain lion, keep your pussy ass in the gift shop.

just watch the video.  You think the dude, if properly trained and yes, we are; couldn't draw a weapon and get a shot off? How long do you think it takes to draw a weapon from a holster?

I'd take my chances while being armed.  Hell, even growing up in the country, we almost always had a firearm in our work vehicles, and that damned sure wasn't to impress anyone.  It was just another tool you made sure you had when you're out on the back pasture away from the house.

This mindset that everyone who owns a gun just has some perverted bloodlust is horsheshit.   It isn't about some masterbatory blasting of life that runs through the mind as you get ready for a hike.  It's simply about hopefully scaring off the animal and saving human lives from harm.  It's about understanding your environment, not wanting to kill.

Edited by slorch

In all my time in the backcountry, I have never seen a mountain lion. Lots of coyotes and fox, a couple of bears (black bear not grizzly), and loads of varmints, but no cougars.

Humans within five miles of a trailhead are more of danger than cougars. Once I am past the point where most humans will day hike, my worry about predators disappears.

The biggest danger in the deep backcountry is making a stupid mistake that prevents you from hiking out. 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

Everybody has a plan until a cougar jumps on their back.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, crash_davis said:

with or without strap-on?

OK, so...... firearm, bear spray, and if those fail, possibly some lube. This is an informative thread, anything else I need?  

Edited by Blotto

I’ve been on that trail running in the dark. I only ran about a 1/2 from the road before I turned around. I wasn’t concerned I just needed to get back. Every time I go visit my daughter I run past the trailhead.  I won’t run on that trail in the dark again.  I probably shouldn’t run on mountain trails in the dark anyway.