Avicii dead

midtown

17 hours ago, Teddy Tucker said:

Only had the number one streamed song on spotify for a year and a half..... Has multiple billions of views on youtube. Have you lived on earth the last 5 or 6 years?

Gotta admit I never heard of the guy and neither have my teenage kids.  Must be a certain demographic window in which he’s really famous. 

Report said he retired from live shows in 2016 due to health issues?   Throw in pancreatitis?  HEP?  Liver cancer?  Throw a few drugs and booze on that and its the pretty much a death sentence? 

When he retired, he said he enjoyed the music but not the music scene. Sounded like the partying was weighing him down and the two went hand in hand. He made great music but obviously has some powerful demons he was fighting. RIP.

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Someone doesn’t know anything about heavy metal.

... or, someone doesn't know anything about humor.

But I'll play along.  Yeah, yeah yawn, there are some other artists from Sweden, including Roxette (who I actually liked) and Ace of Base (who had that 1 song), not to mention Yngwie Malmsteen (who admittely, though from Sweden, didn't so shit until he got to the U.S. and jump-started his career).  And yeah, yawn, there are the metal bands.   Goody.

Only one metal band is even in the top 15 best selling Swedish acts of all time.  In fact, the other 14 Swedish acts combined (including our boy Avicii here) amount to about $325 million; ABBA has sold well over 375 million records - only one band anywhere in the metal genre, Europe, is on the list.  Of course I was joking, but pretty much proves the guy's point I reacted to:  there's ABBA (and maybe Roxette) and the entire rest of the Swedish music biz is either an acquired taste, and/or a niche market (including your metal).  I doubt pretty much anyone has heard of the metal bands outside of ardent fans; like 9/10 people who know who the fuck Mesuggah, Amon Amarth, or Opeth is, possibly Europe.

So that's the point, besides maybe Avicii and ABBA, I doubt most people not in a niche market can name anyone from Sweden who's a worldwide name (and the records sales are on my side).  It was a joke, but it's more true than not.  Not dissing anyone, I know about Sweden's Techno and Metal scene, but c;mon, "globally known Swedish acts?"  There's one.  Possibly two.  On the outside three.  And now two again since Avicii bought it.

Edited by phdhorn

On 4/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, Robin Masters said:

Died in Oman, BBC is saying drugs. Already sans gall bladder and appendix and had a bout of pancreatitis from alcohol.

That sucks, health issues seem to lead to accidental overdoses more than what people think... I do like the song "Levels" slowed down...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 5:02 PM, Teddy Tucker said:

Only had the number one streamed song on spotify for a year and a half..... Has multiple billions of views on youtube. Have you lived on earth the last 5 or 6 years?

are we talking about aloe blacc or avicii?