The Surly Official 2020 I voted thread.

immamac

That’s really kind. Thanks for the offer. I did think about Lyft but I wanted to avoid riding in a car with a stranger unless absolutely necessary (Covid). My sister ended up giving me a ride yesterday anyway. We both voted straight Dem.

For the record I think Lyft gives free rides to voting locations.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Driving to Denton next weekend to take my nephew to vote for the first time. I promised him a few years ago I would take him to vote. So I’m fulfilling that promise as his guncle. 

He is registered in Bexar county so he will probably have to get a provisional ballot and want to make sure he is able to vote. If he has to go to another location to get the ballot, I’m afraid he wouldn’t do it. He’s a kid and 18 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If those of you who have been on the Longhorn internet for a long time want to feel really old, today Hucklebaby voted along with me and mom.

When Macanudo’s kids are of age I’m going to feel really old.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First day of early voting in NM was yesterday. 183,000 ballots have already been cast. I went around midday and waited about 30 min. Wife and I voted (all D).

Despite being easily left-of-center, I used to enjoy actually reading about the candidates for various local elections and trying to be objective, and would (very) occasionally vote for an R or two. That is no longer the case. The spineless cowards - who have fallen in line behind this ranting buffoon puppet, actively supporting the deliberate decay of decency and democracy and disregarding reason for their own short-sighted personal gains - are no less culpable than the lead conman himself, who quite obviously gives nary a fuck about actual governing or the direction of the nation beyond that which enhances his personal brand and buoys his fragile ego and his pathetic need to be admired and feared. This is who they've chosen to be. Here's hoping that enough of us see it clearly and that a reckoning is coming. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Voted this morning in the Austin metro area as soon as the polls opened. No line at opening. In and out in ten minutes. Thanks to both intelligent posters on surly, and the shitty behavior of the Republican party, our votes moved left quite a bit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Voted this morning in the Austin metro area as soon as the polls opened. No line at opening. In and out in ten minutes. Thanks to both intelligent posters on surly, and the shitty behavior of the Republican party, our votes moved left quite a bit.

This right here.  Same.  Sadly, there's a shit ton more rural red on my side of the Red River though.  You may have seen them at WalMart.

Edited by TeeDubya
  • Hook 'Em 2

Checking in here. Voted for the Libertarian candidates for President, Congress and local. Iirc there were 3 total. Abstained on the rest. Voted FOR medical marijuana and AGAINST full legalization. Let's try medical for a few years then go all in. I believe that's the rational views of a Conservative who tips libertarian.

ETA

I waited in line 30 minutes, even for early voting. Plan ahead, guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

Brought the wife and eldest to vote as a family. I enjoyed our girl’s embarrassment when the clerk rang out with, “First time voter!” The room actually cheered. I chose a booth facing our daughter, and watched her earnestness with great pride. 

All of us voted straight D, as will our mothers, who haven’t voted D since JFK. (Dead folk, ssshh. Don’t  tell their husbands).

Buda city hall. Ten minute wait. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Location at Braker and Kramer had no line at 615. Took about 6 minutes total to vote, a majority of which was double and triple checking my ballot.

Also the lady working booth 2 checking IDs was pretty rude with some decent cleavage showing.

Voted across the street from my neighborhood HEB, which i would contend is the hottest collection of MILF yoga-pant ass anywhere in Austin, save for maybe the downtown Whole Foods but I'll still fight you.  Two women in front of me was a really aggressive ass, but she was a bit short/small for my tastes.  But I got in there and voted, spent a few minutes because I don't swing straight ticket. 

But as I walked my slip over to feed it into the machine...this brunette (about 30-35 years old) in royal blue yoga pants with an ass that could stop a train is checking in.  I musta fumbled with my ballot for an extra 30 seconds with the old lady working that part of the polling place.  "Sir, you have to put it in like this."...as I'm giggling under my mask and just geometrically recording every last curve of this delicious buttocks to my left for my later spank-bank.  It was glorious, her ass literally instilled faith in Democracy in my heart again.  Bulbous without being pouty.  The left cheek profile inviting and soothing, the right cheek profile...slightly pretentious but still willing to party.  My country was once dead...but is alive again.  

Edited by Lobo

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

Checking in here. Voted for the Libertarian candidates for President, Congress and local. Iirc there were 3 total. Abstained on the rest. Voted FOR medical marijuana and AGAINST full legalization. Let's try medical for a few years then go all in. I believe that's the rational views of a Conservative who tips libertarian.

ETA

I waited in line 30 minutes, even for early voting. Plan ahead, guys.

lol look at me I'm a principled libertarian but I don't want people to be able to smoke weed for fun.  Go fuck yourself you stupid cunt.

Edited by Continental Op
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Voted across the street from my neighborhood HEB, which i would contend is the hottest collection of MILF yoga-pant ass anywhere in Austin, save for maybe the downtown Whole Foods but I'll still fight you.  Two women in front of me was a really aggressive ass, but she was a bit short/small for my tastes.  But I got in there and voted, spent a few minutes because I don't swing straight ticket. 

But as I walked my slip over to feed it into the machine...this brunette (about 30-35 years old) in royal blue yoga pants with an ass that could stop a train is checking in.  I musta fumbled with my ballot for an extra 30 seconds with the old lady working that part of the polling place.  "Sir, you have to put it in like this."...as I'm giggling under my mask and just geometrically recording every last curve of this delicious buttocks to my left for my later spank-bank.  It was glorious, her ass literally instilled faith in Democracy in my heart again.  Bulbous without being pouty.  The left cheek profile inviting and soothing, the right cheek profile...slightly pretentious but still willing to party.  My country was once dead...but is alive again.  

She probably voted GO-PEE

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Uh Ok GIFs | Tenor

Voted at the Shriner Auditorium here in SA on Sunday.  Was in and out in about 30-40 minutes.  Thankfully the line was only indoors.  Drove by Monday morning and the line was already at least 40 deep outside about 30 minutes before they opened up. 

Felt good voting Dem all the way down.  Fuck trump and the gop enablers

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Done.  I tried once last week and drove by long lines a couple of other times.  Holding fire until today worked out great.  In and out in less than 30 minutes at 1PM.

Str8 D with one exception.  I voted libertarian for a judicial election where the D had an 18% approval rating, lowest in Dallas County.  Couldn't do that to my fellow lawdogs.  Someone on here pointed out her low rating so I checked the DBA poll for all of them.

Also, the process seemed to be pretty high integrity.  I don't recall specifics of 18 or 16 because I wasn't as concerned.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I voted today. Started the timer right when I got out of the car. It took a total of 15 minutes.

i made sure to let the orange fucktard know that his administration is a joke by voting for every single democrat I could find. If I encountered a race with just 1 republican and nothing else, I left it blank. Those assholes aren’t getting anything from me this year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Voted yesterday at about 09:30 in Cottage Grove, WI at the Village Hall. There were exactly two other people there. Voted straight dem, and being in Dane County there were many seats that were uncontested by gop. I am also still not used to the paper ballots, instead of the electronic machines that were in Williamson County, TX.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:48 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Done.  I tried once last week and drove by long lines a couple of other times.  Holding fire until today worked out great.  In and out in less than 30 minutes at 1PM.

Str8 D with one exception.  I voted libertarian for a judicial election where the D had an 18% approval rating, lowest in Dallas County.  Couldn't do that to my fellow lawdogs.  Someone on here pointed out her low rating so I checked the DBA poll for all of them.

Also, the process seemed to be pretty high integrity.  I don't recall specifics of 18 or 16 because I wasn't as concerned.

I had to vote against her and another one who isn’t incompetent, but loves to get on his high horse and has way too many unwritten rules and opinions on court room etiquette. They’ll both still win but it made me feel better to vote against them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

I had to vote against her and another one who isn’t incompetent, but loves to get on his high horse and has way too many unwritten rules and opinions on court room etiquette. They’ll both still win but it made me feel better to vote against them. 

Moye?

I don't hardly do litigation at all anymore, and haven't set foot in a state courtroom in probably 10 years.  So it's no skin off my nose, but I don't want to put/keep shit judges on the bench.

I gave Moye the benefit of the doubt because he has been a civil rights activist in the past.

If it was you that pointed me to the DBA poll, thanks for that.  That should have occurred to me now that I'm not down in the trenches, but it didn't.

I voted for Sally Montgomery, too, and I know she sucks shit.  But she keeps getting re-elected, so I justified it that way.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Voted again yesterday in Montgomery County and since I'm a middle-aged white guy that drives a fine German automobile I'm pretty sure the poll cops don't mind me coming back for frequent visits.  Got them fooled.  Line was slightly past the DMZ that keeps the electioneering crazies from getting too close; total time required was 15 minutes. Gave the redneck raised index finger off the steering wheel salute to the one poor guy out there at the entrance waving his Biden / Harris flag with all his gusto.  That dude's a hero.

My schedule tomorrow is pretty light so I'm going to go to a different voting location on the other side of the county where the real white trash likes to congregate.  I'm considering donning one of those "old man" masks and walking through the venue loudly asking "Hey... which one of 'em is it that's runnin' with that colored girl?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Voldemort86 said:

If I encountered a race with just 1 republican and nothing else, I left it blank. Those assholes aren’t getting anything from me this year. 

Same here and there was one race that was just a republican and a libertarian running.  I left that one blank as well because TX libertarians are just as crazy if not more crazy than TX republicans.  I feel in uncontested races we should have the option of casting a -1 vote.

• Haha 1

Same here and there was one race that was just a republican and a libertarian running.  I left that one blank as well because TX libertarians are just as crazy if not more crazy than TX republicans.  I feel in uncontested races we should have the option of casting a -1 vote.
Same in Comal here. Every judge was an unopposed Republican. Abstained but would have vote negged if I could have.

1 hour ago, hookem17 said:

Bingo. It must have been one of Surly’s 10,000 other lawyers who sent you the bar’s judicial poll, but I agree it should get more attention during elections. 

Nah, I am a lawdog.  I just don't litigate much anymore, most especially in state court, so I don't have the native knowledge that I did at one time.  I did notice that Moye was I think around 50% overall approval, so not terrible, but not good either.

Never having practiced before him, I don't know, but I do know a little of him.  I have kind of a favorable impression of him from his long civic involvement in Dallas.