The Amazing Race 32

TrashMaster G

On 11/15/2020 at 5:33 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Six and a half fucking hours.

Maybe WORST.LEG.EVER by a team? I’m sure there’s been a “needle in a haystack” task that lasted forever, but those can be a really f’ed up, unlucky experience. 

This was simply driving to an incredibly well-known area of Paris, smack dab in the 12th, then asking someone where the damned carnival museum was located. 6 1/2 hours?!? I can’t imagine how pissed the TAR photog must have been. Perhaps the show has forbidden the “hire a cabbie we can follow” concept used many times before, or they were too stupid or cheap to do it.

I actually liked the Cajians, but if there was ever a team that deserved to get the boot, they were. 

Keep in mind:  Women

Men get a bad rap for refusing to ask directions.  Women can ask for them, but can't figure out how to follow them to save their lives.

23 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

2kms.  They couldn't find an effing unique-assed carnival that was less tham 1.5 miles away.  Seems as if you could canvass the entire area in that time and accidentally find it.

I could understand not being able to find a place nearby in a large city that might not have easy streets to navigate due to how the city was developed. While I've been, I've never driven in Paris. But how could you spend that much time driving in circles. 

I wish they would tell us how far behind the last team to arrive was.  I would like to know whether the yield made any difference.  I strongly suspect that it did not, and that Leo and Alana were at least 30 minutes behind Aparna and Eswar, regardless of the production shenanigans that are about as convincing as the notion that Lloyd Christmas might actually end up with Mary Swanson.   Pro tip, give us a surprise ending more than once every blue moon.  Then maybe we will actually believe that it's close at the finish.    

Teams that I want to win:
Kaylynn and Haley
Hung and Chee

Teams that I think can win:
Hung and Chee
Riley and Maddison
Will and James

Teams I want to see eliminated post haste:
Will and James
Gary and DeAngelo

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't say that I disagree wiyh anything you wrote.

5 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I wish they would tell us how far behind the last team to arrive was.  I would like to know whether the yield made any difference.  I strongly suspect that it did not, and that Leo and Alana were at least 30 minutes behind Aparna and Eswar, regardless of the production shenanigans that are about as convincing as the notion that Lloyd Christmas might actually end up with Mary Swanson.   Pro tip, give us a surprise ending more than once every blue moon.  Then maybe we will actually believe that it's close at the finish.    

Teams that I want to win:
Kaylynn and Haley
Hung and Chee

Teams that I think can win:
Hung and Chee
Riley and Maddison
Will and James

Teams I want to see eliminated post haste:
Will and James
Gary and DeAngelo

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This last week they showed the blonde sisters surprising all of the relaxing teams with the news they were not eliminated. Wish they would show more behind the scenes like this. I know tv time is limited but it’s not difficult to drop it online.

They all looked..... not happy.

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

My preference ranks for the remaining teams:

1 - Blondies

2 - Beard Bros

3 - NFLers

4 - Hung & Chee

5 - Field

The Blondies won't win, but I hope they stay around for the final three.  They are nice to look at.  My money is on the Beard Bros.

I agree that the Beards are the favorites, but not by much.  The NFLers would already be gone if not for the alliance.  If they win, I would be very disappointed.  

41 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, there's not anybody left I dislike.  The boyfriends are annoying at times, but they have as many good moments.  The brother/sister team is about as blah as can be.

It would seem that brother/sister and the blonde sisters should be going home soon. Brother/sister have done a great job of ensuring they don't come near the bottom but the teams behind them have almost disappeared.  Using Survivor logic, if they start to get more camera time in the next episode, they're gone.

Blondes are my favorite because they are easy on the eyes and they seem like genuinely happy people who are just trying to have fun. Even in the 3 straight legs that they were staring down elimination, they never lost their cool.

I liked NFLers until they stole the cab from Hung and Chee. DeAngelo had no clue about that challenge and they managed to come in first on that leg. I wouldn’t mind if they get eliminated at this point..

Will and James annoy me. They created the alliance and they have definitely benefited from it, but eventually teams have to start looking out for themselves and I think Will and James will struggle when they lose the outside help.

My preference in order would be Blondes, Beards, Hung/Chee, NFL, Siblings, Boyfriends.

My prediction is Beards, Hung/Chee, NFL, Boyfriends, Siblings, Blondes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Boyfriends annoy me, brother sister annoy me because they talk about Cal/etc. but still get easy stuff wrong.  I was neutral on Leo/Alana for the most part.  Probably the only one that still likes the NFLers, but don't recall the stealing the cab(probably distracted). Hung and Chee were meh but grew on me that leg.  Really nit-picking as everyone is likable to me outside the boyfriends, but they seem pretty stout.  

The word scramble and meat market challenges bugged me.  Several teams just gave the other the answer (especially Hung & Chee/NFLers) but  I don't recall a situation where a team just went to the public to solicit help.  Seemed odd.  

The meat market seemed worthless.  There was no incorporation/interaction there, just go find it at the top stairs and the locals pretty much pointed everyone there.  Not sure why they stopped.  Plus it looked like kind of a cool/interesting stop.  

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Blondes are my favorite because they are easy on the eyes and they seem like genuinely happy people who are just trying to have fun. Even in the 3 straight legs that they were staring down elimination, they never lost their cool.

Agreed.  Likeable and hot is a good combo.

1 hour ago, pied said:

Probably the only one that still likes the NFLers, but don't recall the stealing the cab(probably distracted). Hung and Chee were meh but grew on me that leg. 

Na you aren't the only one I still like them.  They didn't really steal shit, people just want to cry about everything.  Hung or Chee or whichever one is the chick just whines.  She keeps providing the info like a dumbass.  Just like she "realized" after she did it during the challenge setting up the rugs and shit when she openly told NFLer's where the skull was.  She brings it on herself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

They never should have been helping each other to begin with.  It just doesn't pay off on this show.  The boyfriends have been obsessed with getting out the nerd team when their "alliance" teams are all much bigger threats to make the final 3 or win the race.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree.  And it's really fucking annoying.  Wasn't there a rule (may still be in effect) where one team member couldn't help another if they were stuck on something?  I seem to recall a couple of instances where the one not attempting the challenge, knew an answer, but couldn't help out.  If that's the case, why the hell can an entire other team blurt out clues and answers?

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Agree.  And it's really fucking annoying.  Wasn't there a rule (may still be in effect) where one team member couldn't help another if they were stuck on something?  I seem to recall a couple of instances where the one not attempting the challenge, knew an answer, but couldn't help out.  If that's the case, why the hell can an entire other team blurt out clues and answers?

Yeah, it makes for bad TV for teams to be helping each other to this degree (the unscrambling the letters in Paris being the most egregious) so I would think they'll address it somehow moving forward.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I could understand not being able to find a place nearby in a large city that might not have easy streets to navigate due to how the city was developed. While I've been, I've never driven in Paris. But how could you spend that much time driving in circles. 

Someone on Reddit did a nice summary of their journey:

https://old.reddit.com/r/TheAmazingRace/comments/jsuvt2/s_amazing_paris_adventure/

• Hook 'Em 1

Mega leg was overrated as a thing but cool. Big deal ganging up in the Blondes, they would have lost regardless. Fairly strong showing by the NFLers and they helped with the Turbans. 

Nit really sure I get the alliance with the three. Probably the three strongest teams. If you’re going to be all strategic why keep the stronger teams. Of course this season is different with the ability to just give answers to the other teams so there’s that. Hung and Chee are growing on me. Volleyball guys dropping a little. Brother and sister just aren’t very good.  

12 minutes ago, pied said:

Mega leg was overrated as a thing but cool. Big deal ganging up in the Blondes, they would have lost regardless. Fairly strong showing by the NFLers and they helped with the Turbans. 

Nit really sure I get the alliance with the three. Probably the three strongest teams. If you’re going to be all strategic why keep the stronger teams. Of course this season is different with the ability to just give answers to the other teams so there’s that. Hung and Chee are growing on me. Volleyball guys dropping a little. Brother and sister just aren’t very good.  

agree 100%. Brother and sister better learn how to play or they’re going home. Hung and chee impressed me that they could shift challenges and keep up. Still it was lame they couldn’t figure out how to handle the binary video game. Unless they have some medical condition that impacts muscle control they should be able to get past that challenge. And Hung is a competitor in that she was joked about willing to give a colonoscopy if a challenge required it.

i don’t blame them for ensuring the blondes lost. “Winning” both of the 2 non elimination legs puts a huge target on your back.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

i don’t blame them for ensuring the blondes lost. “Winning” both of the 2 non elimination legs puts a huge target on your back.

Why?  I would want to the team that keeps finishing last in the race as long as possible. 

It was nice to see NFL help someone else for a change, but unless they keep doing it, it's a bit too little too late for me.  What was odd about Hung and Chee not being able to do the binary challenge was that neither of them could do it.  I was a little surprised that the beards didn't give them some pointers, but they did play the yield to help them.      

I do. That’s dumb as hell to always gang up on the weakest team and guarantee advancement of strongest teams. Good luck with that at the end.

Will and James are the masterminds behind the alliances. I guess their strategy is to maximize the chances of their own survival until the final leg and then hope they get more lucky or outsmart the other 2 teams. This strategy also maximizes the chances of the other 2 strongest teams surviving, so it really only makes sense if they lacked confidence in their ability to reach the final leg on their own accord. Otherwise they are just making the competition tougher on themselves down the home stretch. Or they are just some combination of petty and stupid, which is the only explanation for targeting the Nerds followed by the Blondes.

I’m torn between the Beards and NFL. I liked the Beards more up until this leg, but now I’m leaning more towards NFL due to them unknowingly landing outside the alliance and wanting to see the new alliance fail.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damn that was annoying.

Hey.  Let's set up these intricate challenges so that some teams barely have to think or perform because they're given assistance.  Lame and defeats the purpose of the show IMO.  Prob wouldn't bother me as much if alliances had always been a thing to this extent OR there was never a rule where one team member couldn't assist his/her partner.  

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  Hide contents

Last night's episode was one that we all knew was coming up soon. Brother and sister were the best of the non-top teams so it was their time to go. I think there were further behind NFL at the finish line than portrayed.

Yeah they have to be disappointed in their performance.  I thought they'd be better at this, but at no point did they show themselves to be anything other than slightly below average.  They didn't even seem to be part of the alliance since they were always an hour behind the other four teams.  They probably benefitted the most from the alliance and it had nothing to do with them.  The other 4 teams just targeted someone else and these two would survive another leg because of it.   

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I was happy to see them go.  She acted like a complete wench about getting Detoured.  It's part of the game and the NFLers played it right.  Kwitcherbitchin'.

I didn't see a problem that she bitched at them. It's a decent attempt to distract DeAngelo.

What's intriguing about her complaining to DeAngelo is that she interacted with him at all.  Gary wasn't able to talk to DeAngelo ("watch the main guy make the tile") so why was she able to talk to DeAngelo? 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I didn't see a problem that she bitched at them. It's a decent attempt to distract DeAngelo.
What's intriguing about her complaining to DeAngelo is that she interacted with him at all.  Gary wasn't able to talk to DeAngelo ("watch the main guy make the tile") so why was she able to talk to DeAngelo? 

You can t help your partner, but there’s no time against talking shit to another team. I liked it, but I’ve really gone off the NFL guys the last few weeks. They’re kind of dicks. If she’d had shown that fire previously, I’d be sorry to see them go. As it is, see ya. Boring as hell team and not very good at this. Kind of hot though. Reminds me of an Indian Nany from the Challenge.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I despise the alliance this show has sometimes. Fuck that. 

Have we ever seen it to this extent?  I can't remember one.  In the past, they would do small things to help a team out, but I've never seen a season where multiple teams continuously do things that are detrimental to their chances of winning the leg or eliminating a strong team.  They did a great job of it, but to what end?  

57 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Have we ever seen it to this extent?  I can't remember one.  In the past, they would do small things to help a team out, but I've never seen a season where multiple teams continuously do things that are detrimental to their chances of winning the leg or eliminating a strong team.  They did a great job of it, but to what end?  

Will ruin the show if they don't fix it moving forward, imo

• Like 1

pretty lame episode we all saw coming with the weakest team losing.  The only surprise for me was the odd aspect of the team mates talking about how they can't help but we've seen all season help galore.

The NFLers are likely gone of they don't U-turn.  Still don't get the strategy for most of the season.  To me, you use it to keep you in or take out a strong team. The volleyball guys could have tried to take out Will/James or Hung and Chee, eliminating a competitor.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Will ruin the show if they don't fix it moving forward, imo

Not sure this show has a future - it was always one of the least watched and post Covid they might finally pull the plug. They’ve been sitting in this season since 2018 iirc.

Edited by The Ace of Aces

pretty lame episode we all saw coming with the weakest team losing.  The only surprise for me was the odd aspect of the team mates talking about how they can't help but we've seen all season help galore.
The NFLers are likely gone of they don't U-turn.  Still don't get the strategy for most of the season.  To me, you use it to keep you in or take out a strong team. The volleyball guys could have tried to take out Will/James or Hung and Chee, eliminating a competitor.

But we haven’t seen them help their own partner. That’s against the rules. But shit like Hung hanging around to give DeAngelo the jumbled sauerkraut is fine. If she’d had told Gary and took off and Gary told D, that would be against the rules.

Not sure this show has a future - it was always one of the least watched and post Covid they might finally pull the plug. They’ve been sitting in this season since 2018 iirc.

Didn’t know that. But it’s CBS. If it makes any money at all, they might as well keep it. Or replace it with NCIS: Lone Star.

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

But we haven’t seen them help their own partner. That’s against the rules. But shit like Hung hanging around to give DeAngelo the jumbled sauerkraut is fine. If she’d had told Gary and took off and Gary told D, that would be against the rules.

yeah, and to me that's dumb

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

They were filming a new season though that got interrupted by covid.  Who knows if they'll pick it back up again.

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

They were filming a new season though that got interrupted by covid.  Who knows if they'll pick it back up again.

I read it only takes them 21 days to film a season.  I know the ratings are low, but production costs have to be a fraction of produced comedies and dramas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Add me to the annoyed crowd.  

My wife has wanted to be on this show for years.  She asked me if I'd be interested.  I told her we'd be divorced within the first 2 legs and to take her sister with her.  Regardless, it seems as if an intelligent pairing could, at this point, plan for a lot of the fups that many of these teams make.  For example, this past episode.  Gary knew D had missed a step/clue.  Create a code word within a phrase that you could use to point out the mistake.  "D.  This reminds me of that game in which you fumbled at the 2 yard line and cost us the game."  Meaning you're effing up on the 2nd step or the "fumble" could be to go back and read the clue.  I don't know.  But you have plenty of time to plan.  It wouldn't be that much different than planning by learning as many key words and phrases in as many languages as possible before starting.  They might have a rule as to what you can and cannot say.  Even so, you could still make it work.

• Hook 'Em 1