Putting beer and wine in bags at the convenience store

markstanco

Why is this non-law such a deal at stores? I will say "I don't want a bag" they say "its the law" so they give me a plastic bag I dont want so I can throw it away later.

No it isn't. Why are they trained this way? TABC even had a tweet a while back saying it isn't a law.

My lawn. Get off of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

This pisses me the fuck off too.  I don't need a bag to carry an item that has a built in carrying handle, or is a bottle, that I can carry just fine in my hand.  I find it's easier just not to argue and celebrate the small victories when you don't have your six pack bagged.

I've worked in a store and I only put it in a bag if you asked for it.

i managed to carry this item across the store i don't need a piece of garbage to take it to my car thanks.

edit: if that one beer isn't in a small brown paper bag then the cops will totally know that's a beer you're illegally drinking while operating your vehicle instead of a dr pepper. 

Edited by elfenix

Never used to bother me either way, but during covid-19...it is nice to place your purchase on the counter with bar code facing them.  They scan, you pay, you grab it and walk out.  Really minimizes the interaction.  I was buying a single bottle of the other day at Thom's Market.  Clerk just manhandled the bottle to get it into a paper wine bag and then shoves that into a plastic grocery bag.  Then hands it to me with two hands.  And shoves the receipt in there.  

Mitch Hedberg was so ahead of his time.  "I cannot think of a scenario in which I would have to prove I bought a donut."  

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That tweet would seem to indicate that it needs to put in a bag if it's for on-premise consumption.  It seems all of the bars I go to are breaking the law.

14 hours ago, markstanco said:

But what if my first sip is in the parking lot before I leave the premises.  

Atlanta had some pretty stupid blue laws when I lived there. Bags were mandatory for alcohol purchase ; black plastic ones.
You'd see them all over the place blowing around town. 
I never understood that one. 
1. Even though you can SEE all the alcohol in the store while you're shopping, no one outside the store is supposed to see it?
2. The bag is supposed to obscure from others that you bought alcohol?
3. The fact that you're carrying a black bag out of the store certainly in no way tips people off that you bought booze. Nope.
Fucking stupid.

Worse than that one, however, was no retail alcohol sale on Sunday. They finally did away with that stupid shit the last year I was there. 
Hallelujah 

wire-all-due-respect-bunny_article_story

17 hours ago, elfenix said:

i managed to carry this item across the store i don't need a piece of garbage to take it to my car thanks.

edit: if that one beer isn't in a small brown paper bag then the cops will totally know that's a beer you're illegally drinking while operating your vehicle instead of a dr pepper. 

• Like 1

the so-called "beer condom".

every time I see  that word, I think of the way my dad pronounces it:  "cuhndumb".  used to drive my brother and me insane.

then one day, on a roadtrip to the coast, just the three of us, I made a joke about heading to the "cuhndo".  my brother and I cracked up in hysterics.  and then we proceeded to set our dad strait.

but for some reason, thanks to the powers of the internet, I decided to look it up.  it seems you can say it either way.

so now I'm all fucked up.

anyway.  carry on.

Atlanta had some pretty stupid blue laws when I lived there. Bags were mandatory for alcohol purchase ; black plastic ones.
You'd see them all over the place blowing around town. 
I never understood that one. 
1. Even though you can SEE all the alcohol in the store while you're shopping, no one outside the store is supposed to see it?
2. The bag is supposed to obscure from others that you bought alcohol?
3. The fact that you're carrying a black bag out of the store certainly in no way tips people off that you bought booze. Nope.
Fucking stupid.

Worse than that one, however, was no retail alcohol sale on Sunday. They finally did away with that stupid shit the last year I was there. 
Hallelujah 
Yep. If there was a law on covering alcohol they would have to have trash bags to cover 30 packs.

Oh? Thats not the case? The 30 packs are in boxes and you can't actually see the aluminum cans so you have no idea what is inside the box! Its probably a bunch of snickers bars.

• 3 weeks later...