2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

Short offseason as Dec 1st or somewhere around there is being floated to starting the league back up again.  Still have to fit in a free agency period, draft and training camps.  Looks like another short season too as the calendar restrictions and COVID still about may force the league into some creative planning.  

This seems like a good place to start the offseason though.

End of an era for the Rockets..... whoever you feel about him, he's had a tremendous influence on the league and the proliferation of quantitative stats and strategies around the league.  Next Gen stats, as the kids say, need to credit Morey a ton.  

Where do the Rockets go from here?  What led him to decide now was the time (HC search)?  Is his time a success or failure for the Rockets considering he may them a contender but could never get over the hump to a Finals.

I think it kind of had to happen.     I'm not sure how many coaches would come in there and want to continue running that same style.   No "named" coach was going to.     It will be really interesting to see who replaces him and how much trouble they have trying basically undo the roster that Morey has pretty much cemented them into.

EDIT:   Cant imagine they could start Dec 1.     Unless they are planning on going back to a bubble environment.      Almost nothing has changed in regard to the virus and I know they are anxious to start getting fans back in stadiums.     I cant really see them starting before the new yr.    Not that a whole lot will change between Dec1 and Jan 1.   Gonna really suck to not have a Christmas Day quintuple header.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, d2o said:

I think it kind of had to happen.     I'm not sure how many coaches would come in there and want to continue running that same style.   No "named" coach was going to.     It will be really interesting to see who replaces him and how much trouble they have trying basically undo the roster that Morey has pretty much cemented them into.

EDIT:   Cant imagine they could start Dec 1.     Unless they are planning on going back to a bubble environment.      Almost nothing has changed in regard to the virus and I know they are anxious to start getting fans back in stadiums.     I cant really see them starting before the new yr.    Not that a whole lot will change between Dec1 and Jan 1.   Gonna really suck to not have a Christmas Day quintuple header.

Yea, I think that was an aggressive rumor from earlier in the year.  Latest rumors are actually moving OD all the way back to MLK Day and then having an abbreviated season of about 45-60 games.  Crazy times.

Shocking no one.

Why would JVG take that job? He was one of the better coaches in the league, albeit 10+ years ago. I would think that he could get a better gig than signing up for that horribly constructed roster with a core all on the wrong side of 30,  a dearth of future draft picks and an abortion of a salary cap. Granted, after being trapped in the bubble with Mark Jackson, he'd probably take a job as a ditch digger just to get the fuck away from him but why Houston? Does he still live there or something? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Why would JVG take that job? He was one of the better coaches in the league, albeit 10+ years ago. I would think that he could get a better gig than signing up for that horribly constructed roster with a core all on the wrong side of 30,  a dearth of future draft picks and an abortion of a salary cap. Granted, after being trapped in the bubble with Mark Jackson, he'd probably take a job as a ditch digger just to get the fuck away from him but why Houston? Does he still live there or something? 

$$$$$$ but yeah he does actually live there.   I have to imagine that he would have some freedom to help with construction or at the least no expectations of high level winning due to the roster being completely different from the way he coaches

Yuck..... With the cap perhaps going down, with his injury history, and another year on his contract, he would be approaching 30 when it kicks in.  Never been a great shooter (had an outlier year his first in Indy), I think I'd pass on giving him a max.  Someone may be desperate and hope he can recapture 17-18' form in a bottle, but the odds are against it.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yuck..... With the cap perhaps going down, with his injury history, and another year on his contract, he would be approaching 30 when it kicks in.  Never been a great shooter (had an outlier year his first in Indy), I think I'd pass on giving him a max.  Someone may be desperate and hope he can recapture 17-18' form in a bottle, but the odds are against it.

Everyone is seeking a max contract hhahahahaha.    

Nothing actually from him or his reps in there.    One of those "silly season" articles.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:05 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

I mean cool...whoever trades for him this offseason/by the trade deadline will get to see him long enough to see if he's healthy.  If he doesn't prove it, he won't get it from a good team.

27 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

But he sounds so smart on broadcasts!!!

I mean he sounds a lot better than his brother.  But that doesn't make a good coach.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259960/Raptors-Could-Play-20-21-Season-In-Louisville

The Toronto Raptors may not be able to play the 20-21 season in Canada due to the COVID-19 travel ban with Louisville, Kentucky being broached as a possible alternate location.

Louisville wouldn’t be first in line in the event of relocation or expansion, but it seems to be an easier sell to house the Raptors for a short period.

The Raptors would play at the KFC Yum! Center.

No decision has been made on this topic as it is one of many the league must decide upon in the coming weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

gddLFLCFL4VbccAkkH_R6ca2-b-PDuz-yUN4HxwGR6qhgjeXMy-gMuoAPlzL7itQs05dWntbyDlS2LWhMH_Lo05weMEQOewHsp6fNQRQPjxgPMzW0LlT4XXrirgZwJKJHJ1ydcUnW-05T4ZBjYIot2EagG-cvORTv1EUWg

lol. LeGM, fuck him and his tampering.

“Hey Anthony. demand a trade and tell ‘em you’ll only play here in Los Angeles. You’ll corner the organization that drafted you out of school forcing them to make a move or else they risk losing you for nothing. Meanwhile, I’ll keep signing 2 year contracts with player options for the second year so if things go south, I can just bail after I get my current team to sign my washed up buddies to huge deals. Sorry Kevin in Cleveland, you’re on own. But since I have so much power, and a huge following- nobody has the balls to call me out. It’ll all work out in the end, for me.”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Pepsi Center (Nugs) to be renamed Ball Arena.

Denver needs to go ahead and draft Lamelo or trade for Lonzo.  It's only right. 

Fuck no. 

Wish they had named it Ball Aerospace Arena. More appropriate for NBA basketball (and it reflects Ball as an employer in Colorado). But Ball likes to keep those things quiet. 

image.thumb.png.9e9397540494575f4b51348f0f93dde2.png

42 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Christmas games would be sweet. 

Perhaps:

• Boston vs Miami
  • GSW vs Brooklyn
  • Denver vs Utah
  • LA vs LA
  • Dallas vs New Orleans

For sure.   I didnt think they should rush back but I was dreading no Christmas hoop

On 10/22/2020 at 7:22 AM, d2o said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259960/Raptors-Could-Play-20-21-Season-In-Louisville

The Toronto Raptors may not be able to play the 20-21 season in Canada due to the COVID-19 travel ban with Louisville, Kentucky being broached as a possible alternate location.

Louisville wouldn’t be first in line in the event of relocation or expansion, but it seems to be an easier sell to house the Raptors for a short period.

The Raptors would play at the KFC Yum! Center.

No decision has been made on this topic as it is one of many the league must decide upon in the coming weeks.

Buffalo braves run it back

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think he still lives here. He comes on the local radio station a fair bit and talks like a local when he does so.
There are only 30 jobs.  The Houston job is probably a top 10 job.  Harden sets the floor at playoff/50 win team (I think they've more or less done that every year he's been in Houston except for the disaster that was the final year of Howard).  Probably figures the offense can run itself with Harden and Westbrook on the ball playing 5 out- he can ratchet up the defense- maybe get into the top 4 and have a punchers chance of getting out of the 2nd round if their 3's fall a lot or something like that. 

It's not a great job but it's not a terrible job if the idea is to do this 3 or 4 years to scratch an itch, b/c you love doing it, or b/c you want to make more money and/or flee Mark Jackson.