2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

Gonna get Crazy...😛😜😋

When does free agency start?

If we're being honest about tampering, free agency has already begun. If you're looking for the legal starting gun, though, it will come on Friday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. ET. That is when teams can legally contact players and their representatives and begin negotiating new contracts. Expect a deluge of early agreements at this point, but players can't actually sign quite yet. 

Technically speaking, free agency isn't fully open until Sunday, Nov. 22 at 12:01 p.m. ET. 

Who has cap space?

As of this writing, only four teams are projected to have a significant amount of cap space: 

• The Atlanta Hawks are projected to have around $44.3 million in space.
  • The New York Knicks are projected to have around $42.4 million in space.
  • The Detroit Pistons are projected to have around $30 million in space. 
  • The Charlotte Hornets are projected to have around $19.4 million in space. 

Those numbers are fluid. They could change based on how these teams approach their own free agents, players with team options and possible draft-day trades. Barring something unforeseen, though, these are the four primary cap space teams of 2020. 

There is, however, a very significant possible fifth team here. If the Miami Heat wanted to, they could create around $21.3 million in cap space. Offload the No. 20 pick, and suddenly, they get up to around $23 million. Here's the catch: Creating that cap space would mean renouncing their rights to all of their own free agents. At present, the Heat have the ability to go above the cap to retain Goran Dragic, Jae Crowder, Solomon Hill, Meyers Leonard and Derrick Jones Jr. Creating that space would deprive them of that ability. For that reason, it's probably unlikely the Heat take this route. It's hard to believe that they could get more value out of $21.3 million than Dragic, Crowder, Hill, Leonard and Jones. This option does exist, though, and if the Heat found a way to offload more salary, it might become even more tempting. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2020-everything-to-know-about-free-agent-bonanza-from-start-time-to-top-available-players/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gonna get Crazy...😛😜😋

When does free agency start?

If we're being honest about tampering, free agency has already begun. If you're looking for the legal starting gun, though, it will come on Friday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. ET. That is when teams can legally contact players and their representatives and begin negotiating new contracts. Expect a deluge of early agreements at this point, but players can't actually sign quite yet. 

Technically speaking, free agency isn't fully open until Sunday, Nov. 22 at 12:01 p.m. ET. 

Who has cap space?

As of this writing, only four teams are projected to have a significant amount of cap space: 

• The Atlanta Hawks are projected to have around $44.3 million in space.
  • The New York Knicks are projected to have around $42.4 million in space.
  • The Detroit Pistons are projected to have around $30 million in space. 
  • The Charlotte Hornets are projected to have around $19.4 million in space. 

Those numbers are fluid. They could change based on how these teams approach their own free agents, players with team options and possible draft-day trades. Barring something unforeseen, though, these are the four primary cap space teams of 2020. 

There is, however, a very significant possible fifth team here. If the Miami Heat wanted to, they could create around $21.3 million in cap space. Offload the No. 20 pick, and suddenly, they get up to around $23 million. Here's the catch: Creating that cap space would mean renouncing their rights to all of their own free agents. At present, the Heat have the ability to go above the cap to retain Goran Dragic, Jae Crowder, Solomon Hill, Meyers Leonard and Derrick Jones Jr. Creating that space would deprive them of that ability. For that reason, it's probably unlikely the Heat take this route. It's hard to believe that they could get more value out of $21.3 million than Dragic, Crowder, Hill, Leonard and Jones. This option does exist, though, and if the Heat found a way to offload more salary, it might become even more tempting. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2020-everything-to-know-about-free-agent-bonanza-from-start-time-to-top-available-players/

Would Gallanari sign in Miami for a contract starting at $20M? Otherwise why would Miami give up the right to exceed the cap when this is a shitty FA class outside of Davis, who is resigning in LA.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Would Gallanari sign in Miami for a contract starting at $20M? Otherwise why would Miami give up the right to exceed the cap when this is a shitty FA class outside of Davis, who is resigning in LA.

Highly doubt MIA would do that as it would take their cap money for next offseason.    Their plan has been to woo Giannis and they need space to do so.     If he signs his supermax though I guess they might but they would have to give up quite a few guys that made big contributions last yr

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That really does suck all the way around. Sucks for him. Sucks for the Warriors. Sucks for the league. I was really looking forward to seeing them try to take on the Lakers, but unless Wiseman is a lot further along than I think, they will struggle to make the playoffs. They certainly aren't a title contender without him. The rest of that roster outside of Draymond is Wiggins, Looney and a bunch of replacement level players.

I know it was a mistake and you unintentionally left off Steph, but it made me chuckle thinking of him shooting like 29 percent from 3, losing another step on defense and whatever else he'd have to do to become a replacement level player. 

Probably fan fiction, but I read one article that suggested Warriors should trade for Harden, sending Rockets Wiseman, Wiggins, Looney, and the 2021 MIN 1st rounder.That’s a better haul for the Rockets than Brooklyn’s trash. Golden State would still have Curry, Harden, and Green to make a run at the Lakers. 

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Warriors moving to replace Klay.... Oubre has become a nice player the last couple of years, but I haven't seen the cost.  Going to guess a first rounder maybe in 2022.

Presti, jeez.  I've seen less action from a Wall Street day trader. 

Serious about tanking, though.  After 20 seconds of internet research, I learned that Oubre is a free agent after this season so not likely to stay.  Presti flips him for yet another first round pick.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Warriors moving to replace Klay.... Oubre has become a nice player the last couple of years, but I haven't seen the cost.  Going to guess a first rounder maybe in 2022.

That guy (possibly) has had one hell of a week, going from 2 rebuilds, to a potential title contender...

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Ouch. That's an expensive bill to chase the 6 seed.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is, "Light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we’re going to go about things."

Also, there is going to be a draft in the not so distant future where it's just Sam Presti picking like 5 times in a row.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Probably fan fiction, but I read one article that suggested Warriors should trade for Harden, sending Rockets Wiseman, Wiggins, Looney, and the 2021 MIN 1st rounder.That’s a better haul for the Rockets than Brooklyn’s trash. Golden State would still have Curry, Harden, and Green to make a run at the Lakers. 

Now that would be a decent return for Harden. Though Wiggins is essentially worthless, but is needed to make salaries match.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I think he wants to go home, which is Indiana.

I think that is a possibility but I'm not sure how Indiana could already have an offer for him with their cap situation.  (I think Hayward might already have an offer in mind to turn down the option)  I don't think Hayward would turn down the option without a pretty good idea that a multi-year offer is out there for him.  I think it would be risky for him to take 34M now and take his chances next summer versus getting a multi-year deal right now.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

You could just do that next year and still have $34m.

He wants out of BOS.    I imagine he will get 60M+ guaranteed somewhere.    ATL and NYK are supposedly both hot for him and have 40M+ free.   Still seems risky but I thought Horford was crazy opting out of 28M last yr and he got 100M+ soooooooo...........

I’m really hoping the harden to nets deal never happens. I would like to see KD win one without everyone saying it is “tainted” by being on a super team. Also, I know their injuries were different but when I heard about the injury to klay I got this bad feeling about Durant this year. Hope to hell not since I just want to see him tear it up in Brooklyn 

7 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’m really hoping the harden to nets deal never happens. I would like to see KD win one without everyone saying it is “tainted” by being on a super team. Also, I know their injuries were different but when I heard about the injury to klay I got this bad feeling about Durant this year. Hope to hell not since I just want to see him tear it up in Brooklyn 

The level of difficulty of navigating a full season of Kyrie and Harden as teammates, and pulling both of them along to a championship would be a huge accomplishment on its own. Neither one of those guys would win a title on their own. 

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

How much is your sanity and well-being worth? Hayward hated being in the Celtics' locker room just as much as they hated him.

...I'd probably be able to suck it up for one more year for $20M more than I'll get anywhere else.

Any decent details on the problems in the Celtic locker room??

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's a really nice deal for GS just on value..... the money is the big pain point for OKC.  But this could just end up being a couple of 2nd rounders.

Not familiar... please explain how "the money is the big pain point for OKC"??

Thanks...

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Any decent details on the problems in the Celtic locker room??

I thought their locker room dysfunction was a Kyrie thing. There was also some talk about Hayward being a very outspoken MAGA guy that rubbed his teammates the wrong way, but I don't follow the C's that closely. And I would imagine that wouldn't play well in most NBA locker rooms. 

Seems like the Knicks are interested in him. Which, is about the most Knicks thing they could do -- blow the cap they've been trying to get under for years on an overrated dude who can't stay healthy.

41 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Your definition of value is a little different than mine. Oubre’s salary and the tax bill that comes with it is costing GS $84 million this season. 

That's why I said just on value, i.e., trade value, not the tax part.  If you have the money, then you can spend it, it's why no one says, the Dodgers aren't very good if you consider the payroll. But the tax ramifications and what it's limitations can be in the present and future are certainly considerations.  IMO, it feels like it's clear the Warriors will try and move Wiggins.  But in a vacuum, Oubre for 2 2nds is a steal.  Maybe, it would have been easier to phrase that way.  

They just waived Ky Bowman so all their problems are solved!

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Just saw that Gordon Hayward wants a sign and trade to Indiana.  Indiana is offering Turner and McDermott for him and Ainge is asking for Turner and either Oladipo or Warren.  Ainge is such a prick but he does have some big balls.  Seems like a lot for Ainge to ask for a guy that is a free agent and can walk away and sign with the Knicks and you get nothing in return.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just saw that Gordon Hayward wants a sign and trade to Indiana.  Indiana is offering Turner and McDermott for him and Ainge is asking for Turner and either Oladipo or Warren.  Ainge is such a prick but he does have some big balls.  Seems like a lot for Ainge to ask for a guy that is a free agent and can walk away and sign with the Knicks and you get nothing in return.

Is tell him to fuck off.  He can have Warren and like it.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's why I said just on value, i.e., trade value, not the tax part.  If you have the money, then you can spend it, it's why no one says, the Dodgers aren't very good if you consider the payroll. But the tax ramifications and what it's limitations can be in the present and future are certainly considerations.  IMO, it feels like it's clear the Warriors will try and move Wiggins.  But in a vacuum, Oubre for 2 2nds is a steal.  Maybe, it would have been easier to phrase that way.  

They just waived Ky Bowman so all their problems are solved!

So Warriors avoid/reduce the luxury tax by waiving Ky Bowman??