2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
8m

Updated: Bogdan Bogdanovic is headed to the Hawks after the Kings declined to match Atlanta's offer. Bogi wanted to move on and the Kings wanted to maintain flexibility as Monte McNair reshapes roster around De'Aaron Fox, Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley III.

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Looks like the Kings declined to match the Hawks offer to Bogdanovic. 

It was going to be hard to keep him and Buddy.   I guess they couldnt find a good deal for Buddy though cause he's been disgruntled for a little while and I would have thought they would let him go before Bogdan.

13 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I agree, calling him Draymond on defense is jags guy worthy. A "more Athletic Draymond on defense" with Bam's frame and length would very possibly be the best defensive player in the history of basketball, which is of course silly.

d92e17d1ce484a9d5d60df0645b90088.png

• Like 1

Just now, d2o said:

It was going to be hard to keep him and Buddy.   I guess they couldnt find a good deal for Buddy though cause he's been disgruntled for a little while and I would have thought they would let him go before Bogdan.

Yeah, betting a lot on Buddy long-term is not the direction I would want to take as a GM if I could help it.  When his stock is up, try to work a trade if possible...

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I think Curry's mid career explosion has given GMs some false hope brain worms for some other young guys. Buddy Hield is fully in the "he is what he is" category at this point

Just the Kings being the Kings.  Nothing to see here.

18 hours ago, BradInATX said:

If he's hit his ceiling at 15/10, is that really a max player? I don't know

Well - it's a rookie scale max. Not a max max. He is absolutely worth 30 and some change per year. The only way they end up paying him close to 40 is if he makes an all-NBA team or wins DPOY. Although I'm guessing he will pull off the former in one of the next 3 years.

And he was 18/10/4.5 in the playoffs on 56% from the field. I would guess that is more in line with what he is expected to do in 2021.

17 hours ago, d2o said:

Yep, a bigger more athletic Draymond on defense

Stahp. He is not close to Draymond on defense yet. And that's not a slight against his defensive ability. Draymond runs/ran GS's defense like Nash ran the Suns O.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well - it's a rookie scale max. Not a max max. He is absolutely worth 30 and some change per year. The only way they end up paying him close to 40 is if he makes an all-NBA team or wins DPOY. Although I'm guessing he will pull off the former in one of the next 3 years.

And he was 18/10/4.5 in the playoffs on 56% from the field. I would guess that is more in line with what he is expected to do in 2021.

Stahp. He is not close to Draymond on defense yet. And that's not a slight against his defensive ability. Draymond runs/ran GS's defense like Nash ran the Suns O.

Meh, a bit of hyperbole but he is that type of defender...................but more athletic.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I think Curry's mid career explosion has given GMs some false hope brain worms for some other young guys. Buddy Hield is fully in the "he is what he is" category at this point

Look Brad, you apparently have a bug up your ass for when I respond to "nits" or whatever the fuck you said in your other post, but when you write shit that is blatantly regarded, there is a very good likelihood that I'm going to call you out on it. 

So here's another nit for me to pick with you, even though I wholeheartedly, 100% agree with your take that Buddy "is what he is.":

What in the blue fuck does Steph Curry have to do with Buddy Hield? Buddy Hield was a 24 year old rookie. He's 27 now and just completed his fourth season. Steph Curry turned 27 in his 7th NBA season where he led the league in scoring and won his second consecutive MVP award, this time unanimously. I don't think any GM, even the brain worm infested dumbasses that run the Kings believe that he is going to make anything more than marginal improvement as a player, much less morph into a Steph Curry / MVP caliber player at this stage of his career. Aside from that, Buddy is under contract for four more years and while it's not the worst contract in the league, it's probably not a very good value and not easily tradeable without sending more assets out. The Kings essentially chose Hield over Bogdanovic not because they think Hield has some nascent upside or have false hope in him taking the next step, but because they didn't have much of a choice if they want to maintain any sort of cap flexibility going forward, especially after maxing out Fox. All things being equal, Bogdanovic is probably the better player and most GM's would prefer him to Hield I would imagine.

So I apologize if I offended your delicate sensibilities. Feel free to put me on ignore. It won't hurt my feelings. I'm getting close to doing the same for you. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. I guess @Mitch Cumsteen thought I was saying that I didn't think he deserved it. I didn't think I framed it that way at all, but maybe I did. You obviously have to give that guy a max contract. Superstars don't grow on trees, and stretch bigs that fit the modern era perfectly with a great attitude certainly don't  You pay the man his money.

Quite a few bigs with promise end up plateau-ing at that 15/10 range and sitting there for the rest of their career. Guys like Kenneth Faried, Jonas Valancwhatever, Greg Monroe, and even Tristan Thompson come to mind. 

My entire point is just that there's a bit of inherent risk in that you're paying him for what he can become, not necessarily what he is today. Now, if 1) Playoff Bam is here to stay and 2) The Lakers series where he played terribly was purely injury based, then yeah. He's a max player today. 

I think he'll get there. I wish he had been at full strength because AD is sort of the ultimate big man barometer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look Brad, you apparently have a bug up your ass for when I respond to "nits" or whatever the fuck you said in your other post, but when you write shit that is blatantly regarded, there is a very good likelihood that I'm going to call you out on it. 
So here's another nit for me to pick with you, even though I wholeheartedly, 100% agree with your take that Buddy "is what he is.":
What in the blue fuck does Steph Curry have to do with Buddy Hield? Buddy Hield was a 24 year old rookie. He's 27 now and just completed his fourth season. Steph Curry turned 27 in his 7th NBA season where he led the league in scoring and won his second consecutive MVP award, this time unanimously. I don't think any GM, even the brain worm infested dumbasses that run the Kings believe that he is going to make anything more than marginal improvement as a player, much less morph into a Steph Curry / MVP caliber player at this stage of his career
"What in the blue fuck does Steph Curry have to do with Buddy Hield?"
Well..
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/report-vivek-ranadive-thinks-buddy-hield-has-steph-curry-potential
FYI, I like you. You seem like a cool guy. You also seek me out, which I don't mind. So does ztejas and he and I are cool.. he's like my #1 frenemy on this site or at least the bball board. I like the back and forth and it's never personal. But if you're going to come as hard as you did in this post, you better come correct. Literally the entire reason they signed him (and presumably gave him another big contract just a year ago) was because they believed he had Steph upside. I didn't just pull that out of my ass.

Edited by BradInATX

Thanks for the discussion and info on Hield vs Bogda....   Gotta be lucky in a place like Sacramento to be successful building your roster...

Who are a few teams that might really surprise with more success this season???  My first thoughts might be Portland and Phoenix -- not sure about the east, maybe Atlanta or Orlando??

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah. I guess @Mitch Cumsteen thought I was saying that I didn't think he deserved it. I didn't think I framed it that way at all, but maybe I did. You obviously have to give that guy a max contract. Superstars don't grow on trees, and stretch bigs that fit the modern era perfectly with a great attitude certainly don't  You pay the man his money.

Quite a few bigs with promise end up plateau-ing at that 15/10 range and sitting there for the rest of their career. Guys like Kenneth Faried, Jonas Valancwhatever, Greg Monroe, and even Tristan Thompson come to mind. 

My entire point is just that there's a bit of inherent risk in that you're paying him for what he can become, not necessarily what he is today. Now, if 1) Playoff Bam is here to stay and 2) The Lakers series where he played terribly was purely injury based, then yeah. He's a max player today. 

I think he'll get there. I wish he had been at full strength because AD is sort of the ultimate big man barometer.

He shouldnt have even been playing in the Lakers series.   His performance there shouldn't even be considered in this honestly.

Bam is the youngest 2nd player in league history (next to Oscar) to avg 15/10/5 asts.  He has additional skills over Faried, JV and Monroe or any other mediocre big in recent memory.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks for the discussion and info on Hield vs Bogda....   Gotta be lucky in a place like Sacramento to be successful building your roster...

Who are a few teams that might really surprise with more success this season???  My first thoughts might be Portland and Phoenix -- not sure about the east, maybe Atlanta or Orlando??

Orlando is out.   They've done nothing this offseason but draft the disappointing Cole Athony.     Unless he somehow shows a whole lot more than he did in college.

I dont think POR would be that much of a surprise.   Even if they somehow make run to the WCF (which is doubtful) it would be more of "finally" than an "oh wow look at them"

PHX and ATL both did a lot to improve and should have pretty good seasons.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agreed on Phoenix. Why do you say Orlando? I honestly don't know much about their roster.

I think NOLA could surprise. I'm basing that purely on the fact that I think Alvin Gentry was a terrible coach and the Pelicans do have some talented players. 

Portland, I dunno. I've never liked Enes Kanter as a player. RoCo is a decent piece and helps a bit defensively. I also think you're going to see some of the guys who went nuclear in the bubble come back to earth; Lillard, Jamal Murray, etc. There was something about the bubble that clicked for some guys, maybe lack of crowd behind the basket, who knows. Portland seems to me like they'll be pretty well the same team they have been. High scoring, defensive issues, not enough to get to the WCF.

19 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I probably would want to have seen one more all-star level season out of him before maxing him out.

19 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, the fault is Mitch and not your wildly inconsistent statements.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"What in the blue fuck does Steph Curry have to do with Buddy Hield?"

Well..

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/report-vivek-ranadive-thinks-buddy-hield-has-steph-curry-potential

FYI, I like you. You seem like a cool guy. You also seek me out, which I don't mind. So does ztejas and he and I are cool.. he's like my #1 frenemy on this site. But if you're going to come as hard as you did in this post, you better come correct. Literally the entire reason they signed him (and presumably gave him another big contract just a year ago) was because they believed he had Steph upside. I didn't just pull that out of my ass.

Brad -- please don't think I'm seeking you out because I'm not. 95% of the time I don't even look to see who made a post before I respond to it, I swear. I have no beef with you.

That said, the article you linked is from 2017, right after they traded for Hield and it's their owner blowing smoke and trying to win the PR batter after they royally fucked up with Demarcus Cousins (which in hindsight, they got majorly bailed out on with his injuries). Even though they are the Kings, I can't imagine they still believe that Buddy Hield can sniff Steph Curry's jock. Also,  that's the same fucking basketball savant, Vivek Ranadive, who seriously suggested that the Kings play 4-on-5. You're probably better off not putting too much stock into his basketball takes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report--kings-owner-vivek-ranadivé-has-pitched-a-4-on-5-defense---leaving-one-player-to-cherry-pick-221946018.html?a20=1

Owner Vivek Ranadivé has pitched the idea to the team’s brain trust of playing 4-on-5 defense and leaving one player to cherry-pick, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Show me where I said "he's not a max player", which is the argument that Mitch chose to fight, or kindly fuck off.

I just did.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:
  19 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I probably would want to have seen one more all-star level season out of him before maxing him out.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also,  that's the same fucking basketball savant, Vivek Ranadive, who seriously suggested that the Kings play 4-on-5. You're probably better off not putting too much stock into his basketball takes.

Well, right. That's why I said some organizations have brain worms - Sacramento being probably the worst. Thinking Hield has Curry potential is stupid as hell, which was my point.

Just now, Llogg said:

I just did.

Not good with nuance huh? I said ideally I'd like to see more out of him, then, on multiple occasions noted that I understand that you don't always get that opportunity in the NBA, and understand that they did what they had to do.

Saying "man I'd love to see the river card before I choose to go all in with these pocket aces" doesn't mean I'm not going to go all in with pocket aces. It just means I'd prefer to have more information.

Just thought I read something about their (ORL) improvement during this past season somewhere... why I included them.  

Honestly enjoying y'alls discussions on the different NBA teams other than the favorites... I'm not up on NBA as much as you folks, but I love underdogs doing better.  Seeing Denver and  Miami do well in playoffs this summer was a lot more fun than watching the favorites...

Always like to understand how better GMs are more successful constructing their roster.  I'm not a fan of the Super Team stuff -- seems like unfair Bullshit to me.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just thought I read something about their (ORL) improvement during this past season somewhere... why I included them.  

Honestly enjoying y'alls discussions on the different NBA teams other than the favorites... I'm not up on NBA as much as you folks, but I love underdogs doing better.  Seeing Denver and  Miami do well in playoffs this summer was a lot more fun than watching the favorites...

Always like to understand how better GMs are more successful constructing their roster.  I'm not a fan of the Super Team stuff -- seems like unfair Bullshit to me.

The superteam stuff is way over-rated.    Its only hated on because the players have more power now than they did back in the day.    Pretty much every NBA title team was a superteam and EVERY dynasty was.   They were just constructed by NBA front offices with players in the background while the reverse is true now.    

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not good with nuance huh? I said ideally I'd like to see more out of him, then, on multiple occasions noted that I understand that you don't always get that opportunity in the NBA, and understand that they did what they had to do.

Translation: I don't think he deserves the max contract but I understand why he was given it anyway. Great, you have amended and clarified your position, but your original statement was absolutely a declaration that he does not currently deserve a max contract in your estimation.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

Translation: I don't think he deserves the max contract but I understand why he was given it anyway. Great, you have amended and clarified your position, but your original statement was absolutely a declaration that he does not currently deserve a max contract in your estimation.

That's an unbelievably stupid take and not at all reflective of what i said. But you do you.

Edited by BradInATX

22 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Show me where I said "he's not a max player", which is the argument that Mitch chose to fight, or kindly fuck off.

To be fair, this doesn't really seem like "fighting":

19 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He's a no brainer max. He just turned 22, has gotten better each year and is on an amazing trajectory. He averaged 16, 10, & 5 on 56% shooting plus a block and steal while being an absolute menace on defense while leading his team to the finals. 

but carry on with the martyrdom

Edited by d2o

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

To be fair, this doesn't really seem like "fighting":

but carry on with the martyrdom

😂😂

You guys are too much. One guy who thinks that me saying "ideally I'd like to see one more year out of him before maxing him but I understand they had to do it now" literally means that I don't think Bam (a guy and a team whom I hyped more than any single one of you all playoffs long) is a max player. And another guy parsing the strength of the word "fight" vs. "argue" vs. "debate". Ya'll argue like my wife does.

There was only one person on this board who thought the Heat were capable of the ECF from the start and now ya'll are arguing with me that I don't think Bam is good. I guess if it makes you feel better about being wrong the first time as you piled on when I said the Bucks weren't coming out of the East. 

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

😂😂

You guys are too much. One guy who thinks that me saying "ideally I'd like to see one more year out of him before maxing him but I understand they had to do it now" literally means that I don't think Bam (a guy and a team whom I hyped more than any single one of you all playoffs long) is a max player. And another guy parsing the strength of the word "fight" vs. "argue" vs. "debate". Ya'll argue like my wife does.

Dude I was confused at why you seemed bent about his comment in the first place.  That was the point of the jags fan gif.    Taking offense of nothing is far more wife-like IMO.   But do you boo-boo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Dude I was confused at why you seemed bent about his comment in the first place.  That was the point of the jags fan gif.    Taking offense of nothing is far more wife-like IMO.   But do you boo-boo

I'm very rarely actually bent out of shape. A few times on the Covid threads, maybe the Eyes of Texas thread.

Basketball? Nah, this is just bar shit talk. I know you gotta get some shots in after I made you look silly in the playoffs. No reason that I'd get bent out of shape.

Edited by BradInATX

2 hours ago, d2o said:

The superteam stuff is way over-rated.    Its only hated on because the players have more power now than they did back in the day.    Pretty much every NBA title team was a superteam and EVERY dynasty was.   They were just constructed by NBA front offices with players in the background while the reverse is true now.    

Yeah, but back then “super teams” could be constructed by teams in Utah, Indiana, Dallas, San Antonio, Orlando, et al. Now it seems like the stars only want to assemble in LA, NYC, and Miami. I think the general disdain for super teams is partially due to most of middle America’s feelings toward NY and LA sports teams and the national media’s obsession with them while discounting everyone else. 

Maybe next time Lebron, KD, and Harden can join up in OKC, Charlotte, or Sacramento.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't seek you out you just post a lot of wild shit that I have to check. I actually had you on ignore for awhile which would be the opposite of seeking you out. 

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

But keep up the good work checking me by saying things like "The Bucks will sweep the Heat" and "Jimmy Butler is not a top 10 player"!

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah, but back then “super teams” could be constructed by teams in Utah, Indiana, Dallas, San Antonio, Orlando, et al. Now it seems like the stars only want to assemble in LA, NYC, and Miami. I think the general disdain for super teams is partially due to most of middle America’s feelings toward NY and LA sports teams and the national media’s obsession with them while discounting everyone else. 

Maybe next time Lebron, KD, and Harden can join up in OKC, Charlotte, or Sacramento.

What big time FA signed with any of those franchises back then?   Horace Grant going to ORL is about the only one I can think of and he was not a superstar.  Superstar players have always moved toward the media centers.  And even through all of that no one will touch the Knicks.   If you build a good team FAs will come to you.    You can build a good team anywhere.

20 minutes ago, d2o said:

What big time FA signed with any of those franchises back then?   Horace Grant going to ORL is about the only one I can think of and he was not a superstar.  Superstar players have always moved toward the media centers.  And even through all of that no one will touch the Knicks.   If you build a good team FAs will come to you.    You can build a good team anywhere.

McGrady and Grant Hill with Orlando.  But yes, small market teams typically have to acquire their superstars via the draft.  They definitely have a competitive disadvantage.

Nash to Phoenix is the only one I can think of. But that wasn't a super team. They couldn't even get past the Spurs

Nash was traded to Phoenix.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

McGrady and Grant Hill with Orlando.  But yes, small market teams typically have to acquire their superstars via the draft.  They definitely have a competitive disadvantage.

Nash was traded to Phoenix.

Nits to pick:  Grant Hill was traded.     TMac wasnt a superstar when he signed.

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Russ, PG, and Melo tried to form on in OKC. Though your definition of "super team" may vary. Oakland's super team was about as organic as humanly possible. Though, I guess San Fran did help in luring KD away from Oklahoma.

Just now, d2o said:

Nits to pick:  Grant Hill was traded.     TMac wasnt a superstar when he signed.

Hill was traded because he was leaving..... Sign and trades are still free agency wins.  TMac is arguable but he was a burgeoning star coming off a crazy 2nd half.  He was a fall back position after they tried to appeal to Duncan, but he was at least a star.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hill was traded because he was leaving..... Sign and trades are still free agency wins.  TMac is arguable but he was a burgeoning star coming off a crazy 2nd half.  He was a fall back position after they tried to appeal to Duncan, but he was at least a star.

Meh, I said they were nits. 

Alright, here's an offseason question.. MVP odds

Giannis Antetokounmpo +390
Luka Doncic +440
Anthony Davis +700
James Harden +850
Steph Curry +1200
LeBron James +1400
Kawhi Leonard +1600
Kevin Durant +1600
Damian Lillard +2000
Jayson Tatum +2400

Who you got? Two ways:

- Straight up, who wins?

- Who's the best betting value on the board?

This is as wide open of an MVP race as I can remember. After 2x MVPs and post-season failure, Giannis would have to do something historic, else he'll end up with voter fatigue. I can't find a bet that I really like. Maybe Luka? Davis, LeBron, Kawhi are going to have injury and/or planned rest issues. Harden is a known quantity who won't win unless he does something insane. Steph might shoot 18-20x per game on that team and put up ridiculous stats, but I don't think the team will be good enough. Tatum doesn't have the eye-popping stats. 

I think Luka might be the answer to both questions for me, with Lillard as a super dark horse if he somehow carries his bubble shooting back to reality.

Edited by BradInATX

Wow, kinda surprised Tatum is getting odds and not just part of "the field"     I'm not sure who will win it.     I just know Giannis wont win it.   I dont care what he does, he isnt winning 3 in a row.  Harden won't get another either.

AD/LBJ will more than likely have the same issue KD/Steph did so I think both are out barring crazy seasons.

The more I look at the list, its prolly Luka's to lose barring injury.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1