2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Lowkey nice pickup for MIL.  Dude is a shooter.

Spurs fans have an irrational hatred of Brent Forms because he should have never started and he was taking developmental minutes from much better prospects. He can shoot it but is super streaky and he's an awful, awful defender. I wish him all the best but no backs Milwaukee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

That's a lot of money. Getting Wiggins contract flashbacks.

(He's obviously better than Wiggins - just saying they are paying him that money on potential that may or may not come to fruition)

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Tatum is WAY better than Wiggins!!!

Right. Just saying they are giving him a contract based on his ceiling as a young wing, which is what MIN did with Wiggins. The player that Tatum is right now is not worth $40M a year.

Tatum is a better all around player in basically every aspect. Their scoring is actually almost identical, however, if you look at Wiggins best year or two.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right. Just saying they are giving him a contract based on his ceiling as a young wing, which is what MIN did with Wiggins. The player that Tatum is right now is not worth $40M a year.

Tatum is a better all around player in basically every aspect. Their scoring is actually almost identical, however, if you look at Wiggins best year or two.

maybe just sit this one out, champ.

3rd-team all-nba wings are getting paid as much as they want. Doubly true when they're 22

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

maybe just sit this one out, champ.

3rd-team all-nba wings are getting paid as much as they want. Doubly true when they're 22

I'm not saying it was the wrong move - just that it makes me nervous when teams give young guys that much money. 

I mean that's their future now. If Tatum doesn't make that next leap then they are in a tough spot. I think he will, though. He seems to have a good head and work ethic - unlike Wiggins.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm not saying it was the wrong move - just that it makes me nervous when teams give young guys that much money. 

I mean that's their future now. If Tatum doesn't make that next leap then they are in a tough spot. I think he will, though. He seems to have a good head and work ethic - unlike Wiggins.

I understand what you're saying, but there is a huge difference between Tatum and Wiggins so the comparison is probably more what people are taking umbrage with.  Wiggins has always been a really bad player.  Talented but bad.  Tatum is really good.  The bigger issue is the Supermax contract themselves.  They were meant as a way for small market teams to be allowed to keep superstars home with their drafted teams, but now the leverage has really turned because there's always a franchise out there willing to overpay.  So any young player with talent and a pulse is getting these contract regardless if they've "earned" the contract.  You're seeing it with Fox too.  I'm not gonna cry about a dude like Tatum getting paid.  Good for him.  Now Wiggins????   Uh.....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horny Bull said:

Age and mobility are big concerns, but I can understand why they easily picked him over McGee.

His metrics even last year were really good.  They just need a low amount of consistent minutes from him, and I doubt he closes playoff games as AD will small ball 5.

marcgasol2.png.e20457003e6ac3d06de15b1f7f4c3839.pngmarcgasol1.png.20c24dfa7f364c3eaacabc3751c70189.png

Edited by UTDD

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't understand signing both Rondo and Dunn. Unless you want Young to play more off the ball in certain lineups. It's not like Dunn is actually good at either side of the equation and he also brings with him shitty shooting from BTA. Though it does appear he made small strides offensively last season.

I also don't understand the Gallinari signing when you have Hunter, Reddish, and Collins at the 3/4 spot. Bogdanovic fills a need as a starting SG. 

It appears Atlanta has a lot of shooting.

For one they had a whole bunch of money burning a hole in their pockets. Two, ownership is putting pressure on the front office to finally make a move into the playoffs next year. And with the prevailing sense that they need to demonstrate to Young that they aren't the moribund franchise that they're known for, the front office did what bad front offices do; throw a shitload of money in a number of incoherent directions hoping something works out. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

For one they had a whole bunch of money burning a hole in their pockets. Two, ownership is putting pressure on the front office to finally make a move into the playoffs next year. And with the prevailing sense that they need to demonstrate to Young that they aren't the moribund franchise that they're known for, the front office did what bad front offices do; throw a shitload of money in a number of incoherent directions hoping something works out. 

Thanks for the good laugh while reading your post... 😂

Good analysis

• Hook 'Em 1

Gasol too? Man the Lakers have to be one of the longest strongest teams ever assembled. Replace Javale and Dwight with Marc Gasol and Harrell? Shit is unfair. They're going to bully everyone in the playoffs next year. They may not need to score more than 80 per game.

Edited by BradInATX

47 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Gasol too? Man the Lakers have to be one of the longest strongest teams ever assembled. Replace Javale and Dwight with Marc Gasol and Harrell? Shit is unfair. They're going to bully everyone in the playoffs next year. They may not need to score more than 80 per game.

Harrell was ABSOLUTELY destroyed in the playoffs on the defensive end.    So much so that everyone in the Clips org other than Doc wanted his minutes cut.   With Doc gone that is a large part of why he signed down the hall.

And I know there are advanced numbers that will tell me I'm wrong but Gasol is DONE!  I know what I see.  The only cool part about that signing is he gets to spend time with his brother and new niece.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I always thought the Hawks were sleeping giants in the free agent market for obvious reasons.  They just have to get competitive first.  I think had they won the lottery last and picked Zion, you'd see a decent number of FA's look there with him and Young.

12 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Maybe his brother can lend him a guest bedroom or something

They have an interesting relationship.   They've basically shared their earnings throughout their careers including that one time when they both wanted to play in PHX.  The team gave them a number and let them decide how it was split.   So I would imagine with Marcus cashing in big time with the Clips, Keif is doing just fine and can afford to take the min to stay in the same city.   Especially if it gives him a chance to get another ring.

Edited by d2o

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, they've done pretty well so far.  I like adding Matthews/Schroder too.  Caruso/KCP/Matthews/Schroder is a group I am fine with given the value of those contacts especially.  They might miss Rondo in the playoffs, but I still think it was a smart risk to get Schroder as Rondo barely held it together with his health during his time with them.  Harrell won't help much against Jokic, but he should be fine against most of the other Western conference contenders that lack that kind of dominant size.  Portland might be a tough matchup on Harrell too.  Gasol will likely only play the McGee rotation (12-14 minutes a game, 7 in first quarter, 7 in third quarter) and maybe only in the playoffs against Denver/Portland/Phoenix for small stretches.  He probably doesn't see the floor in the playoffs with some matchups, but I definitely like him over McGee if he stays healthy.

The Clippers not getting a good floor general so far is a big pretty miss, but Ibaka is a nice replacement for Harrell.  I think Harrell is much better suited to the Lakers than Clippers given their roster, but Ibaka could end up a better fit on the Clippers too.  I think those two went to the right teams versus the other way around.  I also think Harrell was clearly mentally compromised from when he entered the bubble.  I hate to say it, but I'd definitely right now peg the Lakers as the favorites to repeat because the Clippers haven't addressed their biggest need yet.  I'm pretty bullish on the Nets too...except for not being sure about Durant's health yet...and Irving's health...and his attitude/brain.  But it's not just Durant/Irving that makes me bullish -- I like their other players a lot and in fact would not sacrifice them to get Harden personally.  (unless you traded Irving away maybe)

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody see this report from Windhorst?  If this is true then AD and Lebron are weak as shit.

"Anthony Davis could be waiting to see how Giannis approaches his supermax extension, and Davis could decide to sign a 1+1 deal, which would give the Lakers room to pursue Giannis next summer", via @WindhorstESPN on ESPN.

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Anybody see this report from Windhorst?  If this is true then AD and Lebron are weak as shit.

"Anthony Davis could be waiting to see how Giannis approaches his supermax extension, and Davis could decide to sign a 1+1 deal, which would give the Lakers room to pursue Giannis next summer", via @WindhorstESPN on ESPN.

I just don't think Giannis is that guy. Building a Super Team.  He's made comments about it before.

I think IF he leaves it'll go to a TEAM that's build but missing him basically.  Good structure, coaching, front office...depth and well rounded.  Raptors, Miami for sure...Dallas to some degree.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

I just don't think Giannis is that guy. Building a Super Team.  He's made comments about it before.

I think IF he leaves it'll go to a TEAM that's build but missing him basically.  Good structure, coaching, front office...depth and well rounded.  Raptors, Miami for sure...Dallas to some degree.

I agree but I guess LeBron needs more help.   Miami is the perfect situation for him.  I think it is crazy to expect him to sign a super max in Milwaukee.  He can make hundreds of millions of dollars at any city in the NBA and he is free to choose if he just goes to free agency.  I see no reason why he would want to live in a place like Milwaukee when he could take his 200 million and live in Miami, LA, San Francisco, NY, etc...  I figure he would want to live on the east coast to have easier access back to Greece where his family is but who knows.