2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

On 10/23/2020 at 6:29 PM, d2o said:

At least he's honest about it.    I guess...........

Dirk Westbrook.

Dirk the dislike was out of respect b/c he kept caving in our hopes and dreams during Yao/Tracy.  Westbrook b/c he thinks he's better than he is and has put a lid on how good my 2 favorite teams can be (the Rockets and whoever employs KD). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't see this posted, but the NBA was slightly off on its revenue projections this year, by a smoothe $1.5 billion.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-came-in-15-billion-under-revenue-projections-in-2020-135356538.html

Revenue projections for the league this season were missed by about $1.5 billion, the person said. The losses were the result of a combination of factors — the shutdown caused by the pandemic, the cancelation of 171 regular-season games, completing the season in a bubble at Walt Disney World without fans, the nearly $200 million price tag for operating that bubble and a yearlong rift with the Chinese government that saw NBA games not shown on state television there.

No idea how this is going to impact this off season with regard to the cap but it ain't going to be good for anybody.  They don't have a ton of time to figure it all out either if they are going to start up the new season around Christmas. News seems slow right now but things are going to be nuts after the draft, which is in 23 days. I'm not sure how they are going to conduct the draft, free agency and have training camp all in the span of about 35 days.

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I didn't see this posted, but the NBA was slightly off on its revenue projections this year, by a smoothe $1.5 billion.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-came-in-15-billion-under-revenue-projections-in-2020-135356538.html

No idea how this is going to impact this off season with regard to the cap but it ain't going to be good for anybody.  They don't have a ton of time to figure it all out either if they are going to start up the new season around Christmas. News seems slow right now but things are going to be nuts after the draft, which is in 23 days. I'm not sure how they are going to conduct the draft, free agency and have training camp all in the span of about 35 days.

Amazing shit on that. Explainable. Not their fault. But fucking amazing. 

Revenue projections for the league this season were missed by about $1.5 billion, the person said. The losses were the result of a combination of factors — the shutdown caused by the pandemic, the cancelation of 171 regular-season games, completing the season in a bubble at Walt Disney World without fans, the nearly $200 million price tag for operating that bubble and a yearlong rift with the Chinese government that saw NBA games not shown on state television there.

Fuck it, yolo.

15 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So far, they've said they are going to hold 40% of player salary in escrow for the coming season.      That said, the board of governors are also still trying to get the luxury tax line raised 10-12M so they are still planning on spending.

28 minutes ago, d2o said:

So far, they've said they are going to hold 40% of player salary in escrow for the coming season.      That said, the board of governors are also still trying to get the luxury tax line raised 10-12M so they are still planning on spending.

EDIT:   They are looking for a 6M raise in the lux tax apron

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260009/Teams-Lobbying-For-Luxury-Tax-To-Increase-To-$139M-To-Facilitate-Trade-Market

NBA teams are lobbying for the luxury tax level for the 20-21 season to come in at $139 million with the apron at $145 million.

The trade market would essentially become frozen if the tax stays flat at $132.7 million.

A flat tax would only benefit the teams with cap space.

The luxury tax was projected at $139 million off a salary cap of $115 million for the 20-21 season. 

Also, props to Philly for getting Morey. He is so smart in upgrading from fake ass billionaire Tilman and the boat anchor that is Westbrook to a franchise with ownership that isn't actively stupid, and one that will presumably allow him to spend into the tax for the first time in his entire career as a GM.

I liken this to what would have happened if Billy Beane to the Red Sox job at that end of Moneyball era A's.

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Are they going to just pretend it's 109 million and then the players take a 20% haircut or something like that?  So the contract are kind of like Schrute Bucks that redeem at 80 cents on the dollar?

Looks that way.   Mighty fine accounting practices there

Just now, d2o said:

Looks that way.   Mighty fine accounting practices there

It makes sense though.  That way everyone shares in the pain and it doesn't unduly depress the prices on the people coming into FA right now. But if anyone deserved to have the rug pulled out from under them it's the guys in this class as they were the guys from the 2016 class that got stupid money (at least the guys that got full terms and are going for another contract). That's probably a pretty small number though.  

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, props to Philly for getting Morey. He is so smart in upgrading from fake ass billionaire Tilman and the boat anchor that is Westbrook to a franchise with ownership that isn't actively stupid, and one that will presumably allow him to spend into the tax for the first time in his entire career as a GM.

I liken this to what would have happened if Billy Beane to the Red Sox job at that end of Moneyball era A's.

I dont know.   Its gonna be interesting that for sure.    Their two main guys are about an antithetical to his philosophy as any players could be.    I give him credit cause he always seemed to be able to get a deal done to make HOU better at least on paper.    Then again he ultimately left them in a pretty bad situation and hard capped into a single style of play that will have to force on the next coach.

Just now, d2o said:

I dont know.   Its gonna be interesting that for sure.    Their two main guys are about an antithetical to his philosophy as any players could be.    I give him credit cause he always seemed to be able to get a deal done to make HOU better at least on paper.    Then again he ultimately left them in a pretty bad situation and hard capped into a single style of play that will have to force on the next coach.

I think you are reading Morey wrong about his philosophy. I think he only really has one guiding talent and that's to accumulate as many stars and as much talent as possible.  He believes role players are fungible and  you should chase stars, b/c he's good at finding hidden value and reclamation projects.  

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It makes sense though.  That way everyone shares in the pain and it doesn't unduly depress the prices on the people coming into FA right now. But if anyone deserved to have the rug pulled out from under them it's the guys in this class as they were the guys from the 2016 class that got stupid money (at least the guys that got full terms and are going for another contract). That's probably a pretty small number though.  

Yeah the guys that got those crazy ass deals (Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Bismack Biyombo, Marvin Williams, etc) are in no position to get real money now so it wont effect them too much.   They will be getting min deals or just slightly above for the most part.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I think you are reading Morey wrong about his philosophy. I think he only really has one guiding talent and that's to accumulate as many stars and as much talent as possible.  He believes role players are fungible and  you should chase stars, b/c he's good at finding hidden value and reclamation projects.  

The emphasis on shooting 3s and playing small was as much him as it was Dantoni.   PHI is not at all built to play that way.    We will see if he adjusts or tries to build that same kinda roster there.    My money is on the latter.

Just now, d2o said:

The emphasis on shooting 3s and playing small was as much him as it was Dantoni.   PHI is not at all built to play that way.    We will see if he adjusts or tries to build that same kinda roster there.    My money is on the latter.

Agreed. But his real thing is star collecting.  Yeah, I bet he surrounds them with 3 shooters and runs a ton of pick and roll.  Whatever he does he will figure it out though I bet. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Then why was he never able accumulate 2?  3 times he's tried this and the first time he signed a guy with a dehabilitating back injury.  The next, a great player on the wrong side of 30 with a horrible contract.  The third was sort of the antithesis of what his quantitative methods recommended who is inefficient, aging poorly, and has an even worse contract than the 2nd guy.  

I understand he's tried to get that 3rd star forever but always struck out but I also think his analytics inform his organization about who would be a good fit for their style of play.  No doubt MDA's drive and kick, heavy PNR offense put steroids into the mix. 

I think Morey will be fascinating in Philly as they're sort of the island of misfit toys.  Who's first to go?  Simmons, who can't shoot (and Morey has always liked shooters) or Embiid, who as a big man doesn't fit with a more uptempo, PNR, sort of style?  It's gonna be really fun to see..... Additionally, is Brand a short-timer?  Doc was hired before the new President?  How will that relationship be managed?  Philly is one of the most interesting stories of the offseason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Make them the Supersonics and give the Jazz nickname back to New Orleans. Everyone wins.

200.gif

Best win/win I've seen in a while.

But what did the Jazz fans do to deserve losing their team? It's not like they're a crappy fan base or been a mismanaged team or something.

Edited by Drew
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Drew said:

200.gif

Best win/win I've seen in a while.

But what did the Jazz fans do to deserve losing their team? It's not like they're a crappy fan base or been a mismanaged team or something.

Whiniest and most annoying fans in the league and they've been like that forever. They complain about every call that goes against their team no matter how good or bad it is. 

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Whiniest and most annoying fans in the league and they've been like that forever. They complain about every call that goes against their team no matter how good or bad it is. 

They also are the worst fan base in the league. Racist, cause problems with players, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I mean...okay? But Lakers fan are trash, and NY fans are horrible too. Doesn't mean they deserve to have their team taken(neither did Seattle for the record).  But having cry baby fans isn't exactly having fans that don't care or don't show up to games to where the team is losing money at times(like Charlotte or NO before).

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I mean...okay? But Lakers fan are trash, and NY fans are horrible too. Doesn't mean they deserve to have their team taken(neither did Seattle for the record).  But having cry baby fans isn't exactly having fans that don't care or don't show up to games to where the team is losing money at times(like Charlotte or NO before).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/15/russell-westbrook-fan-abuse-utah-jazz-racist

This is why they should lose their team.

19 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

There are racist fans every where though. Even NY and LA.  Dallas and Detroit too.

Like I said having some racist fans or some bad fans overall doesn't mean and ENTIRE fan base should be stripped of a team.  Seattle never should have lost a team, and places like Charlotte shouldn't have gotten one back.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m in the camp that Morey will adjust to the roster they have rather than try to recreate Houston or the Process.   He won’t get equal value for Embiid or Simmons if he tries to unload them.  If they disappoint this year then maybe he can justify rebuilding, but he’s got to give it a shot first with what they have.  

Pat Riley has been in charge of the Showtime Lakers and the 90s Knicks.  Popovich has been in charge of the “beautiful game” Spurs and the “Bruce Bowen stepping under your ankle in a game that finishes 70-65” Spurs.   NBA basketball isn’t about dogmatically sticking to a particular system.  Nobody has that luxury, except I guess Phil Jackson - you actually can kick back and sniff your own farts so long as you only coach teams that have the best player and best overall roster in the league.

As much as I don’t like the Simmons/Embiid the team is realistically not that far away. I think you can get plenty of winning out of those two with a better roster around them. I don’t think he moves either of those guys but he’s got to try to get away from Horford and Tobias if possible. Those contracts are awful and neither of those guys fits. They need a traditional point and shooters.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That is going to be bonkers.

Very true but at the same time we wont have to wait forever for draft day trades to be completed.     I was really hoping they would just do FA before the draft.    It just makes so much more sense that way anyway

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Very true but at the same time we wont have to wait forever for draft day trades to be completed.     I was really hoping they would just do FA before the draft.    It just makes so much more sense that way anyway

I'm going to disagree. You never know how things are going to play out with the draft. You don't want to sign a free agent and then have a guy at the same position fall into your lap on draft night. Then what do you do? You potentially have a logjam at one position and not enough money to fill out the rest of your roster.