2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm going to disagree. You never know how things are going to play out with the draft. You don't want to sign a free agent and then have a guy at the same position fall into your lap on draft night. Then what do you do? You potentially have a logjam at one position and not enough money to fill out the rest of your roster.

I hear you I just think there are more players in FA than there are in the draft that can make immediate impact so outside of teams in say the top 5 (10 at most) or so would that scenario be an issue.   If you've done your FA shopping you go into the draft knowing even more what you need.   Also takes a little pressure off teams to have to press rookies into playing if they are not ready

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Very true but at the same time we wont have to wait forever for draft day trades to be completed.     I was really hoping they would just do FA before the draft.    It just makes so much more sense that way anyway

Nah the NFL does it backwards IMO too...they should do the draft and then do FA.  Know what you need.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm going to disagree. You never know how things are going to play out with the draft. You don't want to sign a free agent and then have a guy at the same position fall into your lap on draft night. Then what do you do? You potentially have a logjam at one position and not enough money to fill out the rest of your roster.

Feel the same.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Nah the NFL does it backwards IMO too...they should do the draft and then do FA.  Know what you need.

Feel the same.

I think football is different as they have way more rounds a way larger pool of talent and more vastly different positions.  You can get immediate impact players all through the draft.     That doesn't happen nearly as much in basketball.

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Gotta trust Presti making that move.  W all those picks and the ability to move CP3 they’re set up well.  NBA is wild.  Absolutely blows away college hoops imo.  

As great as Presti has been on the draft/trade front, his coaching picks haven't inspired. I do think Donovan was a really good coach though. If he had more than one year with Durant to build a better relationship, maybe he never leaves for GS. They hung on to Scott Brooks for way too long.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As great as Presti has been on the draft/trade front, his coaching picks haven't inspired. I do think Donovan was a really good coach though. If he had more than one year with Durant to build a better relationship, maybe he never leaves for GS. They hung on to Scott Brooks for way too long.

Yep - just meant overall he has earned right to get benefit of the doubt.  I bet Donovan goes down as a very good coach after it’s all said and done - even though Chicago is a fucking black hole where NBA hopes come to die.  

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Who could have seen that coming?

Good luck unloading Westbrook's contract but then again, we've seen there is always a taker no matter how bad the deal.

I'd take him down here and wouldn't even think twice

NBA just starting to heat up. The next few weeks are going to be so much fun. 

The Rockets are going to be interesting. Unhappy players, bad roster construction, cheapskate owner, rookie gm, rookie coach and no clear path forward. 

And Victor Oladipo seems like he sucks. He's had all of one good season in his career, can't stay healthy and thinks he's a superstar. What's Indiana supposed to do with him in the final year of his contract? 

Those Phoenix unis... so derivative. It's like they took the Utah sunburst jerseys and meshed them with the old rainbow skyline geometric nuggets ones. And then throw a "valley" in there as homage to the Warriors city design. Just all around lame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Rockets are going to be interesting. Unhappy players, bad roster construction, cheapskate owner, rookie gm, rookie coach and no clear path forward. 

And Victor Oladipo seems like he sucks. He's had all of one good season in his career, can't stay healthy and thinks he's a superstar. What's Indiana supposed to do with him in the final year of his contract? 

Those Phoenix unis... so derivative. It's like they took the Utah sunburst jerseys and meshed them with the old rainbow skyline geometric nuggets ones. And then throw a "valley" in there as homage to the Warriors city design. Just all around lame. 

It’s like the old Nuggets jersey and an the old Astros jersey fucked.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was wondering why I was so "meh" on those PHX jerseys.    You summed it up perfectly.   Thanks

Overall, I think they are trying to do too much with most of the City unis.    The Philly one is isnt good either.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Whiniest and most annoying fans in the league and they've been like that forever. They complain about every call that goes against their team no matter how good or bad it is. 

Unlike the team/fanbase that tried to pull some chickenshit linear regression 'wins' out of their ass regarding foul calls/non-calls??? 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I like this trade for my guys in the Purple and Gold. Schroder fills a big need in the backcourt and Danny Green leaving as well is okay by me as he was practically of zero value to the title run. 

Yeah, but it seems like a steal for the Lakers.  Danny Green was a liability in the playoffs, and Schroder is a really good player.

Panic time, AD declines his option.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, but it seems like a steal for the Lakers.  Danny Green was a liability in the playoffs, and Schroder is a really good player.

No need to panic.   AD was never opting in.   All procedural.   Barring LBJ coming out and saying "Fuck AD" he will sign for 5yrs and around 250M after they do all their other signings/trades

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's a really good move for the Lakers. I'm not a huge fan of giving up first round picks for short term rentals, but they are (obviously) in win-now mode. They got the better player, they got to get rid of Danny Green and Shroeder fills a huge need assuming Rondo is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

does that help or hurt Devin Booker?

I can't see why that wouldn't help. That's a young team that needs leadership and now Booker doesn't need to be so ball dominant. And if CP3 could make it work with Harden in Houston, for sure he can do it with Booker. Also, the happiest person in Phoenix should be Deandre Ayton. All those lobs that CP3 used to throw to Tyson Chandler and then Deandre Jordan off the screen are all coming his way. 

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Think they just got a #1 in 22 from the Suns.

Sam Presti is doing work. My lord... Kelly Oubre really blossomed last season until he had a thumb injury that cost him the season -- but he averaged 19 and 6 before he got hurt. Rubio is a solid starting level pro with a not horrible contract. Ty Jerome was a first round pick last year and I don't really know anything about Jalen Lecque other than he's only 19 years old. But essentially. Presti got at a minimum a young rotation player in Oubre, a solid vet in Rubio, plus two first rounders (Jerome + 2022) and another young prospect to unload one of the worst contracts in the league.

Presti is a miracle worker. If you want to collect draft choices and do a "process" style reboot, that's how you fucking do it. While still making the playoffs, I might add.