2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

It’s not just small vs large market anymore. The star players seem to only want to play for teams in NYC, LA, and maybe Miami except when they can pull off some superteam bullshit. Exponential hate for super teams located in NYC or LA. 

In the last forever years, how many “stars” signed as free agents in Texas? Lamarcus Aldridge and Dwight Howard? Could be worse...imagine being a fan of the Pacers, Bucks, Twolves, Jazz, etc. that are entirely dependent on drafting talent and either developing it or trading it for other talent that wouldn’t go there as a free agent. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

There arent.   Gonna be a train wreck and I'm HERE FOR IT!!

Wonder what the odds are on who asks out first.

And it's more likely than not that KD won't be the same KD we saw in OKC and GS.  Achilles injuries are just devastating.

Unless I'm missing someone, I think Dominique is the one and only player, in any sport, who approached the player he was pre-Achilles injury.  Now, a not-as-good-as-he-was KD will probably maybe still be pretty fucking good, but I doubt that he'll be in the conversation for best player in the NBA as he was before June 2019.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And it's more likely than not that KD won't be the same KD we saw in OKC and GS.  Achilles injuries are just devastating

Maybe, maybe not. There's not a lot of precedent, really. Especially considering he got 18 months of rest, rehab and work in the gym. 

I'm not sure how Kyrie/Harden/KD is going to work but I assume they've discussed how it's going to work on paper, at least. For the majority of minutes they will be absolutely fine playing an ASG rotation. Kyrie and KD probably aren't going to play more than 33 mpg, anyway, at this point in their careers. Its the 4th quarter, all 3 on the floor that is going to be weird. 

I do know that it will be really fucking entertaining and give the NBA some must watch TV again.

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe, maybe not. There's not a lot of precedent, really. Especially considering he got 18 months of rest, rehab and work in the gym. 

I'm not sure how Kyrie/Harden/KD is going to work but I assume they've discussed how it's going to work on paper, at least. For the majority of minutes they will be absolutely fine playing an ASG rotation. Kyrie and KD probably aren't going to play more than 33 mpg, anyway, at this point in their careers. Its the 4th quarter, all 3 on the floor that is going to be weird. 

I do know that it will be really fucking entertaining and give the NBA some must watch TV again.

It will make the East as compelling as it's been in a long, long time. Maybe since the 1990s. A superteam with three of the biggest douchebags in the league, and two blue-collar squads in Miami and Milwaukee that are really easy to root for to try to stop them.

Edited by BradInATX

And it's more likely than not that KD won't be the same KD we saw in OKC and GS.  Achilles injuries are just devastating.
Unless I'm missing someone, I think Dominique is the one and only player, in any sport, who approached the player he was pre-Achilles injury.  Now, a not-as-good-as-he-was KD will probably maybe still be pretty fucking good, but I doubt that he'll be in the conversation for best player in the NBA as he was before June 2019.

I mean winning would get boring after a while anyways. Especially if you can pull off like 15 out of 16 postseasons missed

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

So...... Achilles injuries are indeed notoriously difficult to return from.  They're a difficult recovery, it's a long rehab, and the surgery used to be pretty invasive.  The other thing is blown Achilles generally used to happen in older athletes at or near the end of their playing days like Patrick Ewing, Chauncey Billups or Kobe Bryant.  However, it's not true that players haven't come back and approached their pre-Achilles form.  Players like Jason Peters, Terrell Suggs, Demaryius Thomas, Zack Britton and even our own Jordan Hicks have recovered from Achilles injuries and come back to be very productive or even approach their past level of effectiveness.   

Also, the surgery can be different as their is a new way to have surgery in some instances called a mini-open repair which is less intrusive and reduces cutting.  Now, that doesn't meant the odds are in his favor, they certainly aren't, but Achilles are becoming a younger man's injury (15  in the NFL this year including Marlon Mack, Malik Hooker, and OJ Howard) and I expect the recovery rate will increase to coincide with this.  I'm not a doctor so no idea what KD's odds or percentages of full or near full recovery are, but......

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Breana Stewart just came back from one and won MVP and a title.****  

****Queue the WNBA hate

I kind of like the team Brooklyn has right now already so I'm lukewarm on Harden going there depending on what they have to give up.  I'm also not sure how Kyrie and Harden can flow well on the court together, but certainly three players with that level of talent is hard to ignore as serious contenders.  I especially worry about Kyrie if Harden is there, as I just don't trust him to stay engaged and happy in that scenario.  I am not worried about Brooklyn's current talent to win at all, but much more so health and mental toughness.  I also doubt Houston will trade Harden so soon, as they likely can get some pretty good offers, but who knows.

As for Durant, the fair expectation is that he will likely still be pretty good, but I wouldn't count on him being First Team All-NBA good.  You just hope for it more than anything but Durant is a very unique athlete and his offense can still function pretty well to me even with lower quickness and mobility.  I kind of in my gut think he will be pretty close to 90% of the player he was, but that's just a pure guess.  I think he will suffer much more on defense than offense if he shows any limitations from the recovery.  I am confident he can still average 27+ in his sleep, but I am more skeptical about his defensive performance due to the injury. 

I like trying the play-in tournament.  You can always dump it if it doesn't engage the right fan interest (read: ratings) and it might allow more fans of middling rosters to stay interested in their team as they might have a chance down to the last week or two.       

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Breana Stewart just came back from one and won MVP and a title.****  

****Queue the WNBA hate

Hate the WNBA or not she the GOAT. Good comparison as they have a similar body type - albeit Durant is taller and a little heavier for his size. 

(And it was a FMVP - not MVP. Her reg season MVP was pre injury in 2018)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hate the WNBA or not she the GOAT. Good comparison as they have a similar body type - albeit Durant is taller and a little heavier for his size. 

(And it was a FMVP - not MVP. Her reg season MVP was pre injury in 2018)

She's not the GOAT..................yet.     Prolly will be but right now that is Tarausi then Maya Moore.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

She's not the GOAT..................yet.     Prolly will be but right now that is Tarausi then Maya Moore.

Nah. Shes already the GOAT easily. She's 26 and has about as many big career accomplishments as either of those 2 you listed. Maybe this debate is for another thread, though. 

I mean in 4 seasons in college she won 4 titles, 4 tourney MVPs and 3 AAC POTYs. In 4 seasons played in the WNBA she has 2 titles, 2 FMVPs and a reg season MVP. 

She has an Olympic gold medal and 2 WC gold medals. I'm not sure what we'd be waiting for her to do to call her the greatest. Put up more counting stats in a barely competitive basketball league?

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure Anthony Edwards is just trying to avoid going to Minnesota

"To be honest," he says, "I can't watch basketball."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

So when after that did he get into basketball?

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30321844/the-pain-promise-top-nba-draft-prospect-anthony-edwards

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Pretty sure Anthony Edwards is just trying to avoid going to Minnesota

"To be honest," he says, "I can't watch basketball."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

So when after that did he get into basketball?

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30321844/the-pain-promise-top-nba-draft-prospect-anthony-edwards

What a fucking idiot!?!?!

35 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What a fucking idiot!?!?!

I honestly think this is a ploy to not get drafted by MIN.   Has to be.  No agent worth his percentage would allow their young client to say some dumb shit like this if there wasnt a purpose.

Just now, d2o said:

I honestly think this is a ploy to not get drafted by MIN.   Has to be.  No agent worth his percentage would allow their young client to say some dumb shit like this if there wasnt a purpose.

I don't. I read the entire article and his peeps go back at the end and try to "clarify" and walk back those statements. The knock on Edwards is effort and consistency. His not loving basketball fits into that narrative for sure. Despite his gifts, he's got serious bust potential.

But he really should try to not get drafted by MIN. He needs to go a place with the right culture. I know MIN has revamped its front office, but it's not like Karl Anthony Townes and Deangelo Russell have the best reputations as hard workers and leaders. Seems like a bad recipe to me.

Still... that kid got a rough deal with his mother and grandmother dying. I'll be pulling for him regardless.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Assuming you mean pretty good by Durant standards. Durant at 90% is still a top 15 player in the league easily.

Yeah, my reasonable expectation is All-NBA third team type of level.  I don't expect First Team All-NBA level.

Kyrie single-handed orchestrating the Brooklyn move two years ago, completely mentally checking out on Boston mid-season, convincing KD to join him, and now very possibly being moved to a very distant 3rd wheel, playing off the ball--like he hated so much with LeBron--is just going to be great to watch unfold.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Kyrie single-handed orchestrating the Brooklyn move two years ago, completely mentally checking out on Boston mid-season, convincing KD to join him, and now very possibly being moved to a very distant 3rd wheel, playing off the ball--like he hated so much with LeBron--is just going to be great to watch unfold.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

It's 5 years from now..... They felt they had to pay to get out his contract.  Got an okay 3 and D guy for the bench, Green on an expiring.  Depth probably and the rights to a PG in Europe.

Also....

Adrian leaves a lot out in his attempts to be first at everything.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's 5 years from now..... They felt they had to pay to get out his contract.  Got an okay 3 and D guy for the bench, Green on an expiring.  Depth probably and the rights to a PG in Europe.

Also....

Cant imagine that Presti hasnt thought of this and is willing to let Gallo go for nothing