I just went on the football board...

Bateshorn

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Should I just shut the board down? 

The football board is just an incredibly backwards place to read. Page 7 of the Ehlinger thread about him staying for The Eyes of Texas was some of the worst most disturbing stuff I have read on this board. Everyone who liked that post (Some of the names that liked it are not shocking) should really re-examine who they are as human beings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

I'm only half kidding. Ever since the fallout of the TX OU game I really did consider just leaving the board down for a while. 

I don't know that anything positive is coming from it anymore, it seems like everyone is just miserable and pissed off. Before it used to be some of that, but with a sense of humor and a jovial culture at poking fun at people. Now it's just fucking mean and hardly anything is funny. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

We give you a ration of shit daily. It's going to be a wonder if we survive the election and the football season. 

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

I mean, I totally feel this.  Other than the middle finger girl thread, everything else is just a beating.  

I would not want to be a moderator of this board right now. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Fascinating how you can have two camps---those who won't go to the football board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  While the folks on the football board won't go to the Poli board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  

Yet the reasons one won't dare venture to the other are roughly the same.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then you have me. Who had to not only wade through both of those pools of shit, but also the daily texan bullshit. 

I'm pretty sure the other mods barely even come to the site anymore.

Well thanks for all you do man. It really is a helpful and important part of folks lives. But yeah, please leave the football board up. Because I don’t need those people flooding the important areas of the board that I still frequent. Which I won’t even say out loud here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I mean hayden laid it out for a few years now about the code words on DT and the football board. If we win, no one gives a shit about The Eyes other than the redasses who are angry the black players dared to have a counter opinion on their precious song. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Fascinating how you can have two camps---those who won't go to the football board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  While the folks on the football board won't go to the Poli board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  

Yet the reasons one won't dare venture to the other are roughly the same.

The politics board has always been a shitshow. But probably less so now, as Republicans have a hard time arguing for Trump.

Their used to be good, productive football posters on hornfans and then Shaggy for a little while. Those days are long gone. Obviously doesn't help that the program has struggled for a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I mean hayden laid it out for a few years now about the code words on DT and the football board. If we win, no one gives a shit about The Eyes other than the redasses who are angry the black players dared to have a counter opinion on their precious song. 

Want to list the secret code out? So I can identify the shitbags IRL please 

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

As a BBS admin, you kind of have to deal with a perfect storm of shit in your community right now.  Pandemic, politics/election, Texas football in the shitter again, etc....  There’s a lot to bitch about, and Surly is probably providing a public service as a place where people can vent rather anonymously during these rather shitty times.  Thank you for providing it.

Some of those things will change for the better, soon.  You are looking to be right (and people like me wrong) regarding the GOPs threat to democracy.  People are turning off the NFL or the Kardashians or whatever and getting out to vote in numbers we haven’t seen in our lifetime.  Regardless of the final tally, I don’t think that anyone will be able to say this election does not reflect the will of the people.

As for Texas football, I am afraid it’s fucked for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Maybe I'll just turn on ads for everyone but treefiddy. Then at least I'll get paid to deal with it. Right now the board has gotten so bad lurkers don't even want to come anymore. It's basically treefiddy subscribers (99 of them) and a few BMD + my subsidy keeping the lights on. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I very rarely go to the football board.  Ironically, football discussions were why I joined the hookem/hornfans/shaggy/surly cabal decades ago.  I don't think things have changed so much as I am just no longer interested in seeing the same takes over and over.

Non-political point:  at some point it seems the University of Texas and its fans are going to have to point the finger at something besides the coaches we hire.  I suppose it's possible that multiyear high dollar contracts at one of the bluest of blue blood programs leads to near-immediate complacency for otherwise good coaches, but I suspect the culture of the school and administration and to some degree the city itself have infected the program.

For me, I can't witness 39 years of mostly soft, fundamentally unsound, underperforming football and reach a  different conclusion.  We lacked talent in the late 1980s, and Mack Brown had roughly an 8 year run that was outstanding, but besides those two periods, I'd say we consistently suck at developing talent and teaching the game.  Did we truly whiff on 6 straight coaches?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Maybe I'll just turn on ads for everyone but treefiddy. Then at least I'll get paid to deal with it. Right now the board has gotten so bad lurkers don't even want to come anymore. It's basically treefiddy subscribers (99 of them) and a few BMD + my subsidy keeping the lights on. 

Ha. We had the same thought at the same time apparently.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Want to list the secret code out? So I can identify the shitbags IRL please 

Go read the Antifa thread. It's pretty much all of the ones who post on there. You'll see they are the same who are the angriest about the Eyes. 

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then you have me. Who had to not only wade through both of those pools of shit, but also the daily texan bullshit. 

I'm pretty sure the other mods barely even come to the site anymore.

In a former life, I was a message board admin as well.  I don't envy the job you have, and especially how toxic things are today vs. early aughts, when I did the admin thing.

Thank you for your service.

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

What is this, a telethon?

(just signed up for a year.  I'm number #100?)

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The football board is just an incredibly backwards place to read. Page 7 of the Ehlinger thread about him staying for The Eyes of Texas was some of the worst most disturbing stuff I have read on this board. Everyone who liked that post (Some of the names that liked it are not shocking) should really re-examine who they are as human beings.

Yet you have specific page of a specific thread committed to memory?  

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

What is this, a telethon?

(just signed up for a year.  I'm number #100?)

I mean when the world isn't ending and there isn't a pandemic there is usually closer to 250 with some churn. That's why there were no ads for simply being a member, it's dwindled down to not even covering the lights and lurker traffic which used to be ~75/day or something went down to the teens. Without some of the BMD who know who they are I would have floated this idea a long time ago. I have been working with my ad network partner to try to get something coded to work only showing ads in the politics board, but we can't get it to work with the damned site software. It's either everyone including treefiddy or only lurkers and I'm not gonna put ads up for people that fund the site. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'll be perfectly honest. I'm so immune to us losing now that if we do, the small solace I take in my cold, black heart is that the people on the football board are miserable. 

Boy #2 texted me about the game last week and I had to fake enthusiasm for Dad purposes. 

To be clear this isn't burning a hole in my wallet and just ruining me financially, but it does now COST money to keep the site up and I just want to let people know that it's pretty fucked up having to come out of pocket to have a platform for some of the shit that's going down lately