I just went on the football board...

Bateshorn

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Agree. The fundamental approach of misleading people has been here since the first newspapers of 1776. It’s the sophistication and VOLUME of information that you are subjected to every day that’s different. It’s scary effective.

Not only the volume, but the micro targeted nature of the misinformation. 

I have zero doubt that cheeseweasel and hate and zork and all them get significantly different information than I do, that we work on a fundamentally distinct factual basis. Shit even @Wulaw Horn who at least makes a genuine effort to learn and internalize new information honestly thought that Obama was ripping nursing children away from their mothers breast like the trump admin has been doing. 

There's a disconnect on real, honest, complete information these days. The shit show on surly is a symptom of that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Surly right now is a microcosm of a much, much bigger problem in society right now. I don't know about you all, but life is pretty tough for a lot of us. The country is experiencing greater discord than perhaps ever. I have friends I've known for decades on the other side of the political aisle, and for the life of me I can't understand how so many people could have such distorted views of the world and reality. It's weighed on me, my friends and family for a long time now. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. An effed up Football and Politics board is the perfect example of what's happening more broadly every day across the world.

We all know "fake news" is a big part of the problem, but I would very strongly recommend every single person on Surly watch a program on Netflix called The Social Dilemma, if you haven't already. In a very easy to understand way, it describes what is happening in the world right now, and the root cause. Immamac, there ought to be a dedicated thread to this documentary, under the NEWS forum, not the political forum. It is not a political program. It is a program that explains how technology is literally destroying society right now.  And it's not hyperbole.  It's a realistic view of a very serious and urgent problem.  I'm not kidding. Every person in this country and the broader world, should watch this program. It would at least help people understand what is happening right now.

Yep I watched The Social Dilemma with my gf. Eye opening indeed. I already knew the basics of how all that worked but they went into depth with it and how social media has created this groupthink environment for so many. You never see any ads or posts from pages with views you don't have  because of how their algorithm works. This is extremely dangerous because it puts you in this bubble and you only see one point of view. Sad thing is, this is how most prefer it. Another viewpoint scares them and they feel comfortable with their own views and want to be validated in their views. Beyond that, it has been shown that social media actually makes humans more agitated, depressed and sad. They go into this as well. I use all forms of social media and don't get caught up too much into it but I know how easy it is to get trapped.

We both could create a Facebook account and add the same exact people and pages to follow but we will both have totally different experiences. They want you to go down a rabbit hole and be so entrenched in your views. It will never show you the other side. It feels you don't want to see it (and for many, they don't). 

Youtube really created the rabbit hole syndrome. You watch 9/11 conspiracy videos and it will keep recommending them for you as you go. It wants you to keep getting sucked further into it. It benefits them in terms of revenue. They said one way to contain this is to never click on the Recommended For You sections on Youtube or social media.

Edited by Vic Mackey

But seriously my hope is that this is a really bad combination of the election, Covid, and longhorn football fail. 
I’ve been around since the 360 days. Back then it was my go to for football of course. There was hardly ever any social or political talk. Hornfans there was some of that and then you got the blinking envelope or like me got banned for saying Stoops was a pedophile or something like that. Maybe I said Mack needed to die I’m a fire. Prove me wrong.

Shaggy came along and it was like the best orgasm you ever had because you could say whatever you wanted after being pentup on HF for so long. The thing is CR just didn’t spill out into the other forums.

Now it’s everywhere and it’s not the fault of any moderator here. So I stick to hobbies and food/travel for the most part the last few months. I read a lot of the other stuff but choose not to get in the argument.

There's a bunch of intelligent people on this website, many of whom have shaped some of my views over the years. Some of that was arguing a point and some of it was because they pointed me to other sources of facts that I needed to read.

i appreciate all of it, but I would much rather get back to making fun of co-op statues. That’s when we are at our best.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

just subbed for 7$/month. I had to create a got damn pay pal account to do. Fucking bullshit. Just give me a name and an address so I can send a check.

You expect a mail carrier to find the van?

( not a shot at postal system)

On 10/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, immamac said:

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

Immamac, I want to publicly apologize for yelling at you for the cloak room thread you posted about the OU game. I had a mixture of too much mezcal and disappointment over the loss and took the attempted joke like a pussy. I'm just glad I only waded through that fucked up EoT thread or I would have gotten fucking depressed too. The continued losses are adding up and making us really bad fans, I guess. You do a good job and I upped my subscription to repay all you do. I appreciate it. Love You Man Hug GIF by UFC

25 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Immamac, I want to publicly apologize for yelling at you for the cloak room thread you posted about the OU game. I had a mixture of too much mezcal and disappointment over the loss and took the attempted joke like a pussy. I'm just glad I only waded through that fucked up EoT thread or I would have gotten fucking depressed too. The continued losses are adding up and making us really bad fans, I guess. You do a good job and I upped my subscription to repay all you do. I appreciate it. 

Dibs on "Mezcal & Disappointment" for my Los Lobos cover band name. 

I think you should just move anything that becomes a proxy political battle to the CR. All of the Covid threads except the medical one, merged into one on the CR. Eyes of Texas? Absolutely a CR thread at this point. Chaz, riots, BLM threads - have been CR threads for months now. 

The only DT thread that isn't a blatant partisan warzone is the thread about actual politics (FitLump).

What we have today is a political area for the liberals (the CR) and a political area for the right-wingers (literally everywhere fucking else these days). It's not gonna fix itself.

Edited by BradInATX

meh.  buncha bitchasses get butthurt that they can't spread their political slant on every thread is NOT a problem.

The mods have dealt with unprecedented events in our society and tried to continue having an environment of self-policing.  i don't have a horse in the Eyes thread, but I understand the discussion.   If it gets shut down or moved to CR, the discussion is not organic, genuine, and cathartic in the way that it actually serves, as is.  I get a kick out of the folks slamming the mods, as if everything is so cut and dried, easy-peasy, posters acting normal.   LOLz.  The last couple of years have been a shitshow on society, and to have the community we still have these days, given 2020, the political climate, and whatever... is  a tribute, not an indictment of the Surly community, for whatever that's worth.

I've long supported the very decisive stake in the ground mentality of containing CR.   I don't think it's possible now, with the ways politics have transcended real life, to keep it in just one bucket.  i think there has been a good balance struck between moderating the bullshit and allowing for true discourse and dialogue.

Post what you're gonna post.  If it's trolling or horseshit, it'll get reported.   Moving along...

What we have today is a political area for the liberals (the CR) and a political area for the right-wingers (literally everywhere fucking else these days). It's not gonna fix itself.

This is so funny and out of touch, but typical of how the left thinks.  If a conservative even attempts to pop his head up on this site or anywhere online they are immediately attacked.  Make one anti-Trump comment though and you get 25 pos rep points.  The left controls every single fucking forum and thread on here, and ruins it like they do their fucking cities.  

I'm not donating for now because I don't think this site exists after the election, if Trump (hopefully) gets reelected.   

22 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

This is so funny and out of touch, but typical of how the left thinks.  If a conservative even attempts to pop his head up on this site or anywhere online they are immediately attacked.  Make one anti-Trump comment though and you get 25 pos rep points.  The left controls every single fucking forum and thread on here, and ruins it like they do their fucking cities.  

I'm not donating for now because I don't think this site exists after the election, if Trump (hopefully) gets reelected.   

I mean the most interesting thing about this take is that the site will most definitely continue to exist after the election, but you think that it's success or failure hinges on the presidential race in the US more than it does in UT football not losing to Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Kansas State. 

There's a better chance that we shut this shit down if that happens and TH doesn't get fired than if Trump wins re-election.

Trump winning would change very little to possibly nothing, unless if course he removed section 230 protections.

I will concede that there is definitely an angry pitchfork mob that goes around policing the board of anything that could possibly be construed as pro-trump and negs it to oblivion, there's also a core contingent of posters who barely leave the football and recruiting boards. These posters, who are quite literally the lifeblood of this site are the ones losing the most from all this. They come here to laugh and talk shit about the sports they love at a university they love and it's turned into a shit show of epic proportions due to a global pandemic and general social unrest (IMO would have happened under any administration). If neither of those 2 things were happening and happening in a meaningful and impactful way on football it would be easy as fuck to moderate. The fact is those 2 things have an enormous impact on football to the point where the season may not have been played at all. (I'm still convinced that it was a bad idea to play).

Just like every other major human event on the earth this was a chance for us to evolve as the only sentient ruling species. We have failed miserably collectively, the part about failing is that's where the blame game starts, but the failure is because we can't unify around anything a a human race. 

Covid would have been easy had the world attacked it together and helped each other while helping itself. Sure there would have been some weird shit and some wrenches thrown in plans and possibly some wealth building opportunities that get lost. We couldn't put the human race and it's needs ahead of the less than 10k humans on this planet. That's the fucking sad thing. It's playing out the same way all over the world, with few exceptions and the reason is all the same. Money. 

Once people understand that team red or team blue aren't responsible for the shit show, but every single person had their part to play it's going to be too late or we will evolve and something like this will never happen to us again because we grew passed it. 

The football board is just an incredibly backwards place to read. Page 7 of the Ehlinger thread about him staying for The Eyes of Texas was some of the worst most disturbing stuff I have read on this board. Everyone who liked that post (Some of the names that liked it are not shocking) should really re-examine who they are as human beings.

What was said?

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

What was said?

A refresher from p1

On 10/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, UpperWestside said:

The football board is just an incredibly backwards place to read. Page 7 of the Ehlinger thread about him staying for The Eyes of Texas was some of the worst most disturbing stuff I have read on this board. Everyone who liked that post (Some of the names that liked it are not shocking) should really re-examine who they are as human beings.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:35 AM, Continental Op said:

There are so many people on the EoT thread who just need to be real about things and say " I am mad that these fucking n-words won't do what I want."

On 10/17/2020 at 9:37 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Fascinating how you can have two camps---those who won't go to the football board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  While the folks on the football board won't go to the Poli board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  

Yet the reasons one won't dare venture to the other are roughly the same.

32 minutes ago, Hate said:

What was said?

I'm not sure I looked at the top rep post on that and it was about fans checking out of UT for other reasons outside of this. IDK if that's what was referenced here, but I did delete a lot of racist shit out of that thread so IDK if that was just one of the things I deleted.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

You lost your taste for the fight?

You were all over CR when I got here. What changed?

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I think you should just move anything that becomes a proxy political battle to the CR. All of the Covid threads except the medical one, merged into one on the CR. Eyes of Texas? Absolutely a CR thread at this point. Chaz, riots, BLM threads - have been CR threads for months now. 

The only DT thread that isn't a blatant partisan warzone is the thread about actual politics (FitLump).

Which is pretty fucking hilarious.  Literally what should be the most political thread on that board about a political candidate running for office is the one thread we haveall come together to mock Fitlump for being an unqualified attention whore who only owns one dress that accentuates her giant fucking horn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Yeah, cities are all just hellholes these days. Better stay away.

20 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

just friday i cleaned up the daily texan michigan governor thread, and threw every single political post (subjectively rated by me to be so) into the politics thread on the topic. 

honestly, it's maddening. people don't want politics shit on the football board or the daily texan thread, and those most vociferous about it seem to be the biggest fucking perpetrators.

i don't see it as that difficult. you want to discuss the politics of our football team? the ou thread ain't it, fucko. take it to the politics board. honestly, a ton of what has infected the board is self-inflicted by the people who least want to traffic the politics board. you fuckers can't help it. calling the players social justice warriors. polluting the daily texan news threads with "religion of peace" comments, and trying to goad your personal enemies into political discourse so you can point and shout "NO POLITICS"

fuck, yall are a beating. you can't just take a political topic, put it on DT, and say "no politics" and then spend pages gaslighting your politics with backhanded coded language. 

i'm to start holding your feet to the fire as much as my time allows. i'm going to feel free to just fucking move posts into cloak room as i see fit. you want to talk politics, go to the fucking politics board. yall call that board a cesspool, but by refusing to talk your politics there, you are fucking ruining everything else.

That's because their politics aren't politics. It's just The Way.

tenor.gif?itemid=16048235

And I can say that as someone who tried hard at the beginning of Covid to keep the fucking politics out of the DT COvid threads. SHits maddening. It was also right around the time I started coming to cloak room. After decades of trying to keep cloaky shit out of another area of this board that SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS, it's a kneejerk reaction. I wanted facts and data, not to talk about fucking politics. But ya'll were right, it's hard to separate the two, and the folks at DT got progressively worse at hiding behind bullshit excuses in their safe place. I'd love for there to be a place wehre I can avoid politics. But you can't, because those rat fucks have politicized everything, down to the goddamn American Flag. 

Result? I've just stopped visiting the daily texan forum, which sucks. But right now the news I'm missing that is posted there isn't a high priority. 

BTW, by all means, clean up that fucking place. Send them back over here. 

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Maybe Txags would be a better for you.

Trumpanzee-B04.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

You lost your taste for the fight?

You were all over CR when I got here. What changed?

he is in the minority now, and gets his feels hurt when everybody is mean to him.

when actually, the number of actual "liberals" hasn't really changed much, just a lot of true conservatives and former (at least for now) republicans are as anti-trump as the liberals, so he feels like he's getting ganged up on.

tldr: muh feels!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, immamac said:

There's a better chance that we shut this shit down if that happens and TH doesn't get fired than if Trump wins re-election.

Trump winning would change very little to possibly nothing, unless if course he removed section 230 protections.

I will concede that there is definitely an angry pitchfork mob that goes around policing the board of anything that could possibly be construed as pro-trump and negs it to oblivion, there's also a core contingent of posters who barely leave the football and recruiting boards.

On your first point, everyone seems to get hyperbolic these days.  Before, it was the end of the US if Obama gets elected.  Now, it is the end of the US if Trump gets re-elected (my wife has said exactly this to me).  Things may not be the greatest is X happens, but take a deep breath.

On the second item - No one has actual discussions here.  If someone doesn't agree, well they are an idiot/should die/hope they get covid etc.  Hell, you see some posters upthread here saying they are distancing from their family members.  People are unwilling to accept that other views are OK - not even that they have to agree with them.  If someone doesn't agree, they are suddenly less human, and rather than attempting to find common ground or work together, people just withdraw to their side (this might be the echo chamber stuff some have mentioned). 

It just doesn't do anyone good to discuss anything in that type of environment.  These problems aren't just found this board.   

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

he is in the minority now, and gets his feels hurt when everybody is mean to him.

when actually, the number of actual "liberals" hasn't really changed much, just a lot of true conservatives and former (at least for now) republicans are as anti-trump as the liberals, so he feels like he's getting ganged up on.

tldr: muh feels!

don't know about him specifically but to your point, I agree that the actual number of liberals has not changed much.  What is true is that only group that feels comfortable sharing their opinions are strong liberals.  https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share