Leaving car on while fueling

1978horn

Was filling up my car this morning and a guy pulled up next to me and started filling up his car while it was still turned on.  I have seen diesel cars do this, but never an unleaded car.  I was always taught to turn the car off.  Quick google search says to turn it off.  What is the general consensus on this?

Why the fuck would anyone do that unless you were worried that the car might not start again.  I mean it takes what, 2 seconds to start a car.  Anyone who is worried about 2 seconds of their life is probably one of those assholes who weaves in and out of heavy traffic on the freeway to get two car lengths ahead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Leaving the car running is probably not going to cause an explosion every time nor will lighting a cigarette.  But the one time that it does, might not make it worth doing. 

Yeah, quick way to end up in the Holy Shit thread as a crash_davis post.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Why the fuck would anyone do that unless you were worried that the car might not start again.  I mean it takes what, 2 seconds to start a car.  Anyone who is worried about 2 seconds of their life is probably one of those assholes who weaves in and out of heavy traffic on the freeway to get two car lengths ahead.

This guy was in a Maserati SUV, so possible

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't do it, but I could see why people do.  Really hot day, wife/kids in the car, and don't want the A/C/Video off for a couple minutes. 

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

I don't do it, but I could see why people do.  Really hot day, wife/kids in the car, and don't want the A/C/Video off for a couple minutes. 

Make sure you're at a pump in the shade, roll down the windows before you stop the car, tell them to quit whining because it takes two minutes to fill up the tank.

• Like 1

that nascar dude is also carrying a barrel of high proof race gas on his shoulder, which is absurd and i have no idea how they haven't caught everyone on fire every race for the last 20 years. 

Edited by elfenix

19 hours ago, Enchubben said:

with a chance of getting much, much hotter...

8 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Me too.  Sweater God it took five minutes to fill up the tank yesterday when I was in a hurry.  Get your shit together, HEB!

I would pay $10-20 extra for a full on pit crew to get me in and out of the gas station in 30 seconds.  I would imagine the crew guys could do pretty well on tips alone.  I wouldn’t do it every time, but if I have one of my nephews in the car with me, I would absolutely do it.  They would think it is the coolest thing ever.  My sister would hate me, because the kids would throw a temper tantrum if she ever got gas anywhere else, but that would be her problem to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, BearSchlong said:

Oregon just made it legal in May 2020 for people to pump their own gas in very limited instances.

https://www.oregon.gov/osp/programs/sfm/Pages/Self-Service-Rules-Change-FAQs.aspx#:~:text=Where%20in%20the%20state%20can,the%20impacts%20of%20COVID%2D19.

Did a massive Pacific NW road trip about 6 years ago and was fucking blown away(not literally) when we stopped for gas in Oregon and couldn't pump our own.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, BearSchlong said:

Oregon just made it legal in May 2020 for people to pump their own gas in very limited instances.

https://www.oregon.gov/osp/programs/sfm/Pages/Self-Service-Rules-Change-FAQs.aspx#:~:text=Where%20in%20the%20state%20can,the%20impacts%20of%20COVID%2D19.

So you can smoke meth but can't pump your own gas

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Did a massive Pacific NW road trip about 6 years ago and was fucking blown away(not literally) when we stopped for gas in Oregon and couldn't pump our own.

According to the state of Oregon, if you tried to pump your own gas, you would have literally been fucking blown away! Don't you know that pumping gas is very dangerous and leads to millions of deaths each year?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

back in the 80s there was a chevron somewhere around tarrytown or clarksville that was still full service. A friend of mine worked there. We would drive over and just to fuck with him, buy one dollar of gas and make him check the oil and tire pressure.

Tarrytown on Exposition I think. By the strip center owned by the crazy that doesn't allow the tenants to sell anything with meat. Psycho.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Tarrytown on Exposition I think. By the strip center owned by the crazy that doesn't allow the tenants to sell anything with meat. Psycho.

I had friends that worked there and pumped gas full service when I was in high school at Austin high and I graduated in 1999.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, conVINCEd said:

I would pay $10-20 extra for a full on pit crew to get me in and out of the gas station in 30 seconds.  I would imagine the crew guys could do pretty well on tips alone.  I wouldn’t do it every time, but if I have one of my nephews in the car with me, I would absolutely do it.  They would think it is the coolest thing ever.  My sister would hate me, because the kids would throw a temper tantrum if she ever got gas anywhere else, but that would be her problem to deal with.

You would probably have to modify your vehicle. For every gallon of gas that goes into your tank, a gallon of air has to come out. You get that much air coming out of your gas spout, and it will cause a backup click off. Bypass the click off, and your gas goes all over the ground.

slow fucks at costco could have used a pit crew this afternoon.  2 motherfuckers sat for minutes before getting out of their goddamn cars to finally start pumping gas, and the other tried 3 forms of payment and took pictures of the pump before starting to get gas.  wtf.