All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

• 3 weeks later...

The Death Star 

59022865_10157301103692146_916973201420157374557_10157301103742146_580870520639258430295_10157301103872146_6997413662705

She arrived yesterday, she's thick and I was advised that it would weigh around 350lbs, the shipped thought it was closer to 600. I think he is wrong but it's solid and heavy nonetheless. I'll fire it up today for a seasoning burn-in.  Lang is a well made Smoker in my opinion and I'll post more after the burn and a smoke this weekend.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

You’re cookin on a Laaannnnnnng!

I keep bouncing back and forth on that model, and a trailer one. Plus wood supply, and storage. So still running along with a wsm for now. 

I opted for this as I don't plan to take it anywhere or move it from my property. Wood Storage/Supply. I'm expecting that with the thickness of the steel and backflow design I hope to not burn a lot of wood so it should not be a concern (fingers crossed). I can stack or store on that brick patio and I have other areas on my property to keep wood. I suspect I'll store wood for each smoke under the rig. 

• Like 1

I'm reading actually that the Stubbs brand was owned by Cowboy and Cowboy discontinued the product. They now sell Cowboy briquettes, which I've read mixed reviews on. Then again I always read mixed reviews on Stubbs and I loved them. I have not seen these Cowboy briqs at my Lowes, only lump. They are available for deliver, however. I will give them a shot. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cowboy-Charcoal-14-2-lb-Charcoal-Briquettes/1000174931

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm reading actually that the Stubbs brand was owned by Cowboy and Cowboy discontinued the product. They now sell Cowboy briquettes, which I've read mixed reviews on. Then again I always read mixed reviews on Stubbs and I loved them. I have not seen these Cowboy briqs at my Lowes, only lump. They are available for deliver, however. I will give them a shot. 

Please let us know how it goes. Guess I’ll be hoarding the last 5 bags I have of Stubbs for now. 

13 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

You can order online from B&B.  It might be expensive to ship it to the great white north, but their lump and briquettes are the best I have used.

43 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You can order online from B&B.  It might be expensive to ship it to the great white north, but their lump and briquettes are the best I have used.

You are talking Cowboy bricks and lump? I use Cowboy lump all the time in my Primo. 

I did some more searching and it says the Kroger at the corner has the bricks. I'm skeptical, but I'm going to check it out. 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:08 AM, next2naus said:

The Death Star 

59022865_10157301103692146_916973201420157374557_10157301103742146_580870520639258430295_10157301103872146_6997413662705

She arrived yesterday, she's thick and I was advised that it would weigh around 350lbs, the shipped thought it was closer to 600. I think he is wrong but it's solid and heavy nonetheless. I'll fire it up today for a seasoning burn-in.  Lang is a well made Smoker in my opinion and I'll post more after the burn and a smoke this weekend.  

What was the temperature differential between the upright and the horizontal chamber?  Did you try to bring the vertical up to cooking temp? Curious if you will be able to use that as a cooking chamber at same time/temp as the horizontal. 

On 4/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, next2naus said:

N2N ia pleased to announce that one of these will be delivered to his house next week...

Lang 36 Patio Hybrid. Gonna order up some sticks and get it seasoned and ready for the holidays and summer, life.

36-deluxe_large.jpg

What's with the tube over the small wheels?

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

No, B&B Charcoal.

https://www.bbcharcoal.com/

Interesting. Yeah looks like I might be able to order the lump to an ACE but nothing on the briquettes. 

I did stop into Kroger today and they had 2 bags of the Cowboy briquettes, which I obviously purchased. $9 each for a 14 lb bag so similar to Stubbs. I may try it out this weekend if I decide to bring ol rustbucket out of the garage. 

Actually I stand corrected on the B&B. Is this the product you use kevwun?

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal/8023367

I can order with free store pickup. They also have these. Maybe I'll try both for shits. 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal/8019844

Yeah, those are the ones in the orange bag.  They burn hotter and longer than any other briquette I've seen.  The lump is also great.  I use it for ribs and chicken all the time.

Edited by kevwun

My rig. Had it about a year. 1/4”, came with sliding shelves, wood box, ball valve drain, tuning plates and a super duper deluxe model smoke draw design.
These pics aren’t mine but mine is the same design but with the front door cut on the firebox.
e21d4b39ed419e0eeda244945fd9b61a.jpg60ee35c5e7dd3290e66a353f16f5c359.jpg9af9aa9421fece39960e97bc83e9df76.jpgf1bf08dde4463c963f5c436204dc1cc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A brief shower isn't a big deal.  When it rains for a long time, it kills the temp in your cooking chamber so you have to add more wood to make up for it.  It can make your cook a couple hours longer if it lasts long enough.  Wind is a much bigger pain in the ass to me though because it fucks with how your pit draws.

it's also a just a PITA to do it in the rain. I've done it plenty and smoked plenty in the dunes at the beach so I know wind issue. Gonna throw on some yard bird and a rack this weekend to break its cherry. then Brisket, Ribs, Bird for Mother's day crowd next weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 12:56 PM, Baboontyme said:

Interesting. Yeah looks like I might be able to order the lump to an ACE but nothing on the briquettes. 

I did stop into Kroger today and they had 2 bags of the Cowboy briquettes, which I obviously purchased. $9 each for a 14 lb bag so similar to Stubbs. I may try it out this weekend if I decide to bring ol rustbucket out of the garage. 

Charcoal-8lb.png

Picked some up at ACE the other day. Got 2 butts going with it now, and rolling along and steady at 275* for about 7 hours now. Seems about like stubbs, but larger briquettes. 

So far no complaints, and no different than a stubbs cook. We’ll see how the final product comes out. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Charcoal-8lb.png

Picked some up at ACE the other day. Got 2 butts going with it now, and rolling along and steady at 275* for about 7 hours now. Seems about like stubbs, but larger briquettes. 

So far no complaints, and no different than a stubbs cook. We’ll see how the final product comes out. 

Report back please. How long did the heavy smoke last on the front end, if you noticed? I read a lot of reviews of Stubbs saying that was a negative, and I suppose I did experience that, just don't know how to compare it to others. 

I smoked a lot of meat this weekend. 100+ lbs of pork butts on Friday night and last night 2 more butts and a brisket. I used the Cowboy briquettes and some Royal Oak briquettes I picked up on sale at Lowe's. Packaging was slightly different on the RO briqs than the weird batch last year that some folks couldn't get hot enough. Both performed well. No Kingsford stank. I would say the Cowboy briqs were very comparable to Stubbs. The Royal Oak briqs burned fine. 

I am saving the B&B for the school fair on the 31st. 

I did not use the B&B yet, I'm saving that for the school fair on the 31st. 

• Like 1

So far, performance wise, I can't really tell a difference between Stubbs. Lit off at 3am, so 8.5 hours in now and things are rolling well. It did smoke a good bit in the beginning while lighting off, but they all do. Using the minion method, so that may play into the equation a tick. From the time I dumped in the lit coals, and put the WSM back together, until things were settled and I put the meat on was about an hour.

I had dialed it in for 275, then maybe 90 minutes ago it started creeping a bit and got to 290. I closed up vent even further, and it's sitting at 285. That could be several things though, so I wouldn't count that on the fuel. Could have been a chunk finally lit off and in turn lit up more coals, or whatever. As far as a smell test, it's clean on its own, just like stubbs. Can't remember what I paid for a bag, maybe $12 or $13 bucks for the 8lb "normal size" bag.

Trying to remember more details from lighting off, but well, it was 3am and I've had beverages since then.

I'm doing another cook with it for a function on the 31st, so I'll light off somewhere around midnight Thursday. (Unless I want to be lazy and go hot/fast again.) Might be last minute for your cook, but maybe not. I'll try to remember to take better notes for that, and get them shared as soon as I can.

Overall, if you like stubbs, you will like these.

The briquettes are a tick bigger, and are stamped with a "B". Other than that, you're pretty much cooking with stubbs. No funny aftertaste, nothing. I suspect they simply changed the briquette shape a tick, and put it in a new bag. It burned fine, no issues. It might run just a hair hotter than stubbs, but nothing to be concerned with. It took maybe 2/3 of the bag to run (22", fill the ring just about to the top, including wood chunks, and the handful to light off initially), and I still had perfect heat left in the tank when I pulled the butts off just after 2. The majority of the cook had 1 vent at 1/4 open, the other 2 were barely cracked. I also had the top vent closed 1/3. This was keeping me in the 280 range, give or take.

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I think the Cowboy briquettes may be Stubbs for clarity. TL may have just gotten crossed up. The Stubbs charcoal brand was owned by Cowboy, and Cowboy recently discontinued Stubbs but started making Cowboy briquettes. Hmmm...

raw

Well, fuck. Yep, cowboy... b&b...  what’s the diff. 

Other than the rebranding part, review stands. I would have to try the cowboy, but really no reason to I think. If there is a sale or something, or it’s a lot cheaper, sure.

Just took delivery on a Mini insulated cabinet from Lone Star Grillz. Did the seasoning burn the other night.

One 8# bag of KBB stacked around the perimeter of the firebox ran at 250 for 12 hours. Didn’t have to touch a thing once I got up to temp. 

Gonna be a good summer.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, Baboontyme said:

Cool. I just ordered 2 bags of the orange stuff and one of the 30 lb competition bags. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

The B&B competition logs are quite legit from a longevity standpoint. Blows away anything I have used in the past in my offset (mostly Stubbs, Cowboy briquettes, Royal Oak briquettes). I've read they produce a ton of ash and I'll have to report back on that as my cook is still ongoing but I just went to refill my firebox after 9 hours as temps were slowly dropping to around 230, and there was still a good amount in there burning strong. I've kept temps below 300 which I'm sure has helped but in a similar type of cook on some butts a few weeks ago I had to refill after 6 hours with Cowboy (same as Stubbs) and by the time I refill I'm on fumes. I'm impressed. 

https://www.bbcharcoal.com/cook-like-a-champion-with-competition-char-logs/

On 5/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, After irth said:

Just took delivery on a Mini insulated cabinet from Lone Star Grillz. Did the seasoning burn the other night.

One 8# bag of KBB stacked around the perimeter of the firebox ran at 250 for 12 hours. Didn’t have to touch a thing once I got up to temp. 

Gonna be a good summer.....

After a couple big brisket smokes with my 24x48 offset, I am kinda liking the idea of an insulated cabinet. 

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

The B&B competition logs are quite legit from a longevity standpoint. Blows away anything I have used in the past in my offset (mostly Stubbs, Cowboy briquettes, Royal Oak briquettes).

So I usually set up a base of coals, doesn't really matter what type to get things going, and then burn sticks the rest of the way. I have a snake basket.  Should I just be running a good lump charcoal with a few chunks mixed in for the longer cooks?

I suppose it depends what your goal is. If you like tending your fire, burning sticks is great. When I first got mine I was obsessed with longevity and trying to get close to the burn time I got on my WSM. I never run lump, it seems to burn too hot and fast and with temp spikes. I found some briqs that ran clean (Stubbs) and mix in wood chunks and have always just done that, especially as I became more of a hot and fast convert, as longevity started to matter less and less to me. I did get some snake plates fabbed for my charcoal basket but I haven't used them in years. 

That being said, I'm trying to get some sleep tonight with a lot of meat on the pit (and some big briskets at that) so I'm pretty excited about this burn time. 

On 5/19/2019 at 4:37 PM, Baboontyme said:

I think the Cowboy briquettes may be Stubbs for clarity. TL may have just gotten crossed up. The Stubbs charcoal brand was owned by Cowboy, and Cowboy recently discontinued Stubbs but started making Cowboy briquettes. Hmmm...

raw

Picked up a bag of these cowboy briquettes last weekend, and did a run on the kettle for some chicken breasts and chops. Exact same as Stubbs, right down to the mold/shape. Clean, performed and smelled just like Stubbs.

Running 6 butts right now, started at 2am, and using the B&B. Still no complaints, but it may run a tad hot. Simple adjustment to just scale back on the number of coals you initially light. Probably more to do with the briquettes being a tick bigger than anything.  It’s still good stuff though. Clean, long burning. No doubt my full fire ring on the 22 will last long enough (and then some) for this cook. 

Honestly I’d seen some of the pits used by Germans in the hill country for years and thought this one up in my head. I had a guy doing rock and mortar work on my house and told him what I wanted with dimensions. I poured a concrete slab and let him go to work. It’s lined with firebrick and holds heat well but I usually have to use a fan initially at the firebox because the wind isn’t always right. The mason didn’t follow my plans as well as I would have liked because it’s a little too tall but I manage. I welded an inside frame and took it to a friend to have the top made. I also had him make the firebox door. It coos outstanding and I can do 6 briskets easy at one time. 

On 5/1/2019 at 4:58 PM, Baboontyme said:

Lowes out here started carrying Cowboy brand smoker sized logs.  No oak unfortunately.  

22 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Honestly I’d seen some of the pits used by Germans in the hill country for years and thought this one up in my head. I had a guy doing rock and mortar work on my house and told him what I wanted with dimensions. I poured a concrete slab and let him go to work. It’s lined with firebrick and holds heat well but I usually have to use a fan initially at the firebox because the wind isn’t always right. The mason didn’t follow my plans as well as I would have liked because it’s a little too tall but I manage. I welded an inside frame and took it to a friend to have the top made. I also had him make the firebox door. It coos outstanding and I can do 6 briskets easy at one time. 

Got dayum that is fucking fantastic. Looked a little funny at a quick glance from that angle, but when I stopped and really looked it made perfect sense. 

Your guy did a nice job on the rock work. Great idea. 

19 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Lowes out here started carrying Cowboy brand smoker sized logs.  No oak unfortunately.  

I haven’t looked at Lowes here, but surprisingly found it at the grocery store. B&B is the one with the “oak” briquettes. Which, by the way, I used on my run yesterday as mentioned. Turned out fucking excellent. Used the oak briquettes, then 3 soda can size chunks of cherry and 1 of hickory. Bout 100 people and they killed all 6 without so much as a bite left. Everybody loved it, which is always good. Most even said they loved how it had just a tick of bite to it, without being really spicy hot. Nobody said it was too hot, which it wasn’t, so that seems to be a solid win for a group.