All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

On 5/25/2020 at 2:31 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Cross post from All Things Brisket since evidently my search skills suck.  Will post updates as I work through the details.  

Anyhow, I've embarked on a project.  I had my masons build this.  Yesterday, I set the vertical pipes for the counterweight pulley system.  I'm starting on the bulk of the steel install in a few weeks.  Getting the doors laser cut next week.  Totally winging it so far.  Couldn't find anything close to drawings or plans online, but it's basically a single fire box + main cooking chamber (both on counter-weighted pulleys), and vertical chamber.  Fire away with comments or criticism.  spacer.png

I've wanted to do something similar for a long time. Please post lots of pics and let us know what you like and don't like about it and what you would have done differently once you start using it.

• Like 1

A few more pictures of the BBQ project:

I used a grinder to get the stone as flat / level / plumb as possible around the perimeter at the fire box opening.  I'm going to install 2x2x1/8" angle with mitered corners around the perimeter of all four doors to try to get as tight of a seal as possible when the doors shut.  The top two doors will be easy since they're installed on smooth 2-1/4" patio stone. This door and the vertical chamber door will be tougher to get dialed in.

I ended up putting another layer of fire brick in the base of the fire box.  I wanted to raise the floor of the fire box even with the opening so I could easily scoop out ashes.  I'm going to build a heavy-gauge expanded metal rack, but will probably experiment with the fire directly on the fire brick as well.

You can see the flat stock we installed at the top of the fire box.  That was an afterthought.  I went ahead and added that in case I want to cook directly over the fire at some point.

You can also see the 1" pipe in the middle.  That'll get cut.  We ran it through the front side of the stone and it stops in the back side of the stone.  I'll insert a pice of 3/4" solid rod through that sleeve and weld a baffle on there.  Then, I'll install a handle on the front that will allow for the baffle to pivot 90* so I can regulate heat between the fire box and the main cooking chamber.  That plate will be 1/4" as will the doors and lids.  

spacer.png

This is a better view of the main cooking chamber.  You can see the ledge where the grate will sit and the pipe that will eventually be cut back so the baffle rod can sleeve through.  You can't really see it in the picture, but I also put a 4" drain at the bottom so I can hose out grease and drippings.  That pipe daylights down the back of the hill.  Again, not visible in this pic, but I had the masons run the patio stone a few inches past the edge of the rock to give me a 12" area of counter space.  

The fire brick is offset in the main cooking chamber to allow for the grate to rest directly on the fire brick.  Kind of a little ledge on both sides.  Total area of the main cooking surface is approximately 32" x 46".

spacer.png

Here's a view looking up the vertical chamber.  I'm still not sure my flue location / design is ideal.  We capped the top of the chamber with the same 2-1/4" patio stone.  I had the masons cut a 4"x4" hole in the back corner.  I'm planning on dropping in 4" square tubing and building a collar to hold it in place.

There's room for two racks.  I'm going to try to fab those racks where they slide but have a stop to keep them from falling out.  That design is kinda TBD.

I also added some 4" flat stock at the ceiling of the vertical chamber.  I'm going to weld some hooks there so we can hang sausage.  

spacer.png

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I used a grinder to get the stone as flat / level / plumb as possible around the perimeter at the fire box opening.  I'm going to install 2x2x1/8" angle with mitered corners around the perimeter of all four doors to try to get as tight of a seal as possible when the doors shut.  The top two doors will be easy since they're installed on smooth 2-1/4" patio stone. This door and the vertical chamber door will be tougher to get dialed in.

I ended up putting another layer of fire brick in the base of the fire box.  I wanted to raise the floor of the fire box even with the opening so I could easily scoop out ashes.  I'm going to build a heavy-gauge expanded metal rack, but will probably experiment with the fire directly on the fire brick as well.

You can see the flat stock we installed at the top of the fire box.  That was an afterthought.  I went ahead and added that in case I want to cook directly over the fire at some point.

You can also see the 1" pipe in the middle.  That'll get cut.  We ran it through the front side of the stone and it stops in the back side of the stone.  I'll insert a pice of 3/4" solid rod through that sleeve and weld a baffle on there.  Then, I'll install a handle on the front that will allow for the baffle to pivot 90* so I can regulate heat between the fire box and the main cooking chamber.  That plate will be 1/4" as will the doors and lids.  

spacer.png

This is a better view of the main cooking chamber.  You can see the ledge where the grate will sit and the pipe that will eventually be cut back so the baffle rod can sleeve through.  You can't really see it in the picture, but I also put a 4" drain at the bottom so I can hose out grease and drippings.  That pipe daylights down the back of the hill.  Again, not visible in this pic, but I had the masons run the patio stone a few inches past the edge of the rock to give me a 12" area of counter space.  

The fire brick is offset in the main cooking chamber to allow for the grate to rest directly on the fire brick.  Kind of a little ledge on both sides.  Total area of the main cooking surface is approximately 32" x 46".

spacer.png

Here's a view looking up the vertical chamber.  I'm still not sure my flue location / design is ideal.  We capped the top of the chamber with the same 2-1/4" patio stone.  I had the masons cut a 4"x4" hole in the back corner.  I'm planning on dropping in 4" square tubing and building a collar to hold it in place.

There's room for two racks.  I'm going to try to fab those racks where they slide but have a stop to keep them from falling out.  That design is kinda TBD.

I also added some 4" flat stock at the ceiling of the vertical chamber.  I'm going to weld some hooks there so we can hang sausage.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 11:33 PM, Sam Lin said:

Having the ability to cook directly over the fire opens up a ton of churrasco options. Good move, and some of my favorite cooking.

https://www.tasteatlas.com/churrasco

Yup.  My little soiree a few months ago kind of motivated me to take advantage of that firebox for parrilla options.

My wife asked me last weekend when I was going to make it available again for the Tahoe.
I've had the carport in use for prob. 3 months now & no regerts / regruts / ragrets.

I do, however, regret that my predictive text now knows those improperly spelled words.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up my Father's Day gift on Friday -- a Weber 18" Smokey Mountain.  Trial run was yesterday on a ~ 13 lb Prime brisket from HEB.  

Thoughts:

1.  it's a little leaky, both around the door and the lid.  Might have to rig up some gaskets.

2.  it took a while to come up to temperature, but then held remarkable steady.  Grate temperature (via the port) was about 35-40 F higher than the built-in dome thermometer.  I ran pretty consistently at 235 F or so at the grate with very little adjusting.  I used Kingsford Original + hickory wood chunks.

3.  after a lengthy stall the brisket was at 160 F ten hours into the smoke.  Unfortunately, at that point our little dog got blasted by a skunk and so I spent about 90 minutes trying to bathe the stink off of her, and the temperature dipped to about 190 F at the grate.  It was 1 AM so I put it in the oven to finish it off.

4.  This morning it was ~ 195 F so I pulled it and checked a slice off the tip of the flat.  While it tastes fantastic, and is extremely tender (maybe that's the Prime?) there is almost no smoke ring.  I've seen this happen before and was told it can happen with a refrigerated brisket put directly on the heat, which is what happened yesterday.  But, I also think I didn't use enough hickory.

5.  I'm about to do a few slabs of St. Louis style pork ribs, and I'm going with a lot more wood.  We'll see how it turns out.  Lots to learn about running this thing, but so far it seems like every Weber product I've owned -- very well built and for the most part easy to use.  I would prefer more clearance between the water pan and the charcoal ring, so it would be easier to add more fuel, and better access to the water pan would be good, too.  It's impossible to see how much water remains because it's a black pan.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Why can't you just caulk the angle iron with fireplace caulk?

On 6/27/2020 at 12:17 PM, RichUT said:

5f17a048aa81cc4985fa472b9905b8e0.jpg

Working on this beast with some buddies. 26x60 with a double wall insulated firebox. Goal is to have it ready to go by the 4th.

Plan is to clear coat it with that unfinished look.

Needs bigger tires. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

That is bad ass.  Send more detail pics when you get a chance.  One question:  Is that handle for the firebox baffle supposed to be on the inside?  Seems like that door is reversed.

Optical illusion.  I thought the same at first glance, but the door is actually mounted on the right (closest to the camera) upon further inspection.

IMG_3213.thumb.JPG.5cf87947fabf026f747655e270b1ee87.JPGH

Here is another shot that shows the front side. You can see how the door is connected well in this one. On to your comments and questions.

Regarding the wheels, this pit will be shared across a few people in my neighborhood. While I am the majority investor in the hard costs, there are others contributing in significant ways (e.g., labor, materials, shop access, etc.) and we will all be using it over the coming years. The golf cart wheels make it super easy to transport around the neighborhood. 

As for the interior, no plans for tuning plates. there is a heat deflector between the fire box and the smoking chamber that is angled up. There will be an upper shelf on the left side door. Otherwise, we don't have anything special planned on the interior.

We are at the finish line, and just need to finish out the cooking grates, connect the smoke stack, install the stainless steel shelf, finish wire brushing, and then it'll be time to put the clear coat on. It's been a fun project.

If anyone is curious, we bought all of the raw materials from Big Phil outside of Rockwall. Dude was really cool and has been helpful throughout the build process when we have had questions.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, Baboontyme said:

Yes. Using the fireboats which I have tested and I know it's throwing accurate temps. I wonder if I'm filling up the chamber too high. I'm sure I could mitigate by putting some kind of a water pan between the grate and the deflector but there isn't much space there on the primo. Not sure how it sets up on the BGE or other ceramics. 

I have to use a water pan on my BGE to keep it from drying out.  Works great when you use one, though.  I fill up a 9x13 casserole dish with water and put it under the brisket.

44 minutes ago, RichUT said:

IMG_3213.thumb.JPG.5cf87947fabf026f747655e270b1ee87.JPGH

Here is another shot that shows the front side. You can see how the door is connected well in this one. On to your comments and questions.

Regarding the wheels, this pit will be shared across a few people in my neighborhood. While I am the majority investor in the hard costs, there are others contributing in significant ways (e.g., labor, materials, shop access, etc.) and we will all be using it over the coming years. The golf cart wheels make it super easy to transport around the neighborhood. 

As for the interior, no plans for tuning plates. there is a heat deflector between the fire box and the smoking chamber that is angled up. There will be an upper shelf on the left side door. Otherwise, we don't have anything special planned on the interior.

We are at the finish line, and just need to finish out the cooking grates, connect the smoke stack, install the stainless steel shelf, finish wire brushing, and then it'll be time to put the clear coat on. It's been a fun project.

If anyone is curious, we bought all of the raw materials from Big Phil outside of Rockwall. Dude was really cool and has been helpful throughout the build process when we have had questions.

Yep, when the oilfield gets slow, people build BBQ pits.  I've seen several generations now of different designs.  Also had a buddy that builds gunsafes out of 3/8" plate.  He's promised to build me one, but that was 30 years ago, so need to check up and see where he stands on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I would be nervous about the firebox melting the tires.  How big is the gap?

That firebox is a double wall insulated firebox with two layers of 1/4" steel sandwiching a thick layer of mineral wool insulation. That's not to say that it won't be warm to the touch, but it should not be near hot enough to pose any threat to those tires.

Watched all 3 of their vids, hopefully they get long lasting success.

My only concern with their build is the firebox.  Not @ all easy to get the ash out; would have made the door run all the way to the bottom of the firebox vs. what appears to be maybe 9" of interruption that prevents a clean scrape out with a purpose built rake.

Also, is Oak a common tree in Germany?  Pecan?  What are they smoking with - the vids don't say.

I finally finished up all the landscaping on my backyard project, so now I'm shifting my focus back to the pit.  Got the frames welded up and installed this weekend.  Need to measure for doors so I can get those sent off to get cut.  Hoping to have them back in two weeks so I can install the second weekend in July. 

IMG_3656.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Paco said:

I like this thread. Makes me want to build another smoker. Not.

this.  anyone want some high heat paint?  I'ma leave mine "clearcoat", I think.  fuck all that surface prep.

@RichUT:  you're probably gonna hate that firebox door.  it looks cool AF, but if there's one thing I'd do different on mine it'd be to make a bigger door.  or think about some kinda handheld chute you can poke in there to feed it.

I gotta rig up some outriggers to jack mine up to keep the tires off the ground for longterm storage.  

On 6/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, RichUT said:

That firebox is a double wall insulated firebox with two layers of 1/4" steel sandwiching a thick layer of mineral wool insulation. That's not to say that it won't be warm to the touch, but it should not be near hot enough to pose any threat to those tires.

So you didn’t mind the gap.