All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

this.  anyone want some high heat paint?  I'ma leave mine "clearcoat", I think.  fuck all that surface prep.
[mention=317]RichUT[/mention]:  you're probably gonna hate that firebox door.  it looks cool AF, but if there's one thing I'd do different on mine it'd be to make a bigger door.  or think about some kinda handheld chute you can poke in there to feed it.
I gotta rig up some outriggers to jack mine up to keep the tires off the ground for longterm storage.  

I guess anything is possible, but that design is necessary given the double wall construction. If it works as designed, it should hold heat longer and require less fussing with the wood.

We’re gonna find out soon enough.

875b4058a71f3aab0661ffa4a3aaeb92.jpg

11 minutes ago, RichUT said:

We’re gonna find out soon enough.

Yes we will. And let me tell you something, friend - the Surly pitmasters will be watching.

Oh, yes. We'll be watching.

If football doesn't happen, all that energy is coming this way. Hell is coming.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:43 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

I finally finished up all the landscaping on my backyard project, so now I'm shifting my focus back to the pit.  Got the frames welded up and installed this weekend.  Need to measure for doors so I can get those sent off to get cut.  Hoping to have them back in two weeks so I can install the second weekend in July. 

IMG_3656.jpeg

Damn.  That looks great.  I have a small mountain of leftover limestone from our house build -- I need to do something like that.

Oh, who am I kidding.  I'll just keep staring at the pile and wondering how many rattlesnakes are hanging out in there.  Still, great job.

• Like 2

Those look fantastic. What does the Costco packaging say? I want to try these.

Beef plate ribs. You gotta look at em closely. Some of them run a little leaner so just look at the meat to bone ratio. That rack in the photo was particularly good looking in that regard.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed a boneless pork half butt -- 4.6 lb -- and I want to be done by dinnertime tomorrow (Wed 7/15).  I haven't smoked a pork butt in years.  A little googling says 90 minutes per lb at 225.  Does that sound right on a WSM?  I'm just getting my sea legs on this thing after years using an offset smoker, then the Weber Smokenator rig.

So far my experience is that I see the WSM start out low, maybe 200 F, but it eventually creeps up past 225 F to near 250 F, maybe 4 hours in, even if I'm dialing back the lower vents.  I was planning on putting it on around midnight tonight and just letting it run until my prostate wakes me up at 5 AM, but if it's really only 90 minutes per lb, I could start tomorrow morning.  Make sense?  I really don't want to put it on at 9 AM and have it finish at 9 PM.

Grabbed a boneless pork half butt -- 4.6 lb -- and I want to be done by dinnertime tomorrow (Wed 7/15).  I haven't smoked a pork butt in years.  A little googling says 90 minutes per lb at 225.  Does that sound right on a WSM?  I'm just getting my sea legs on this thing after years using an offset smoker, then the Weber Smokenator rig.
So far my experience is that I see the WSM start out low, maybe 200 F, but it eventually creeps up past 225 F to near 250 F, maybe 4 hours in, even if I'm dialing back the lower vents.  I was planning on putting it on around midnight tonight and just letting it run until my prostate wakes me up at 5 AM, but if it's really only 90 minutes per lb, I could start tomorrow morning.  Make sense?  I really don't want to put it on at 9 AM and have it finish at 9 PM.
You'll be good starting it at 9am tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly finished up the pit this weekend with some help from a few buddies.  I had the doors cut by my fab guy.  I screwed up on the fire box door dimensions, so had to get those re-cut at the last minute.  Everything went pretty smoothly, but we ran into a few issues along the way.  I'd do about a dozen things differently if I did it over again, but all-in-all, I'm super stoked.  Broke it in with some chicken and sausage Saturday night, then a pork butt and a whole turkey breast yesterday.  Takes a while to get up to temp, but holds heat really well.  I do have some smoke leakage and some of the exterior stonework has already cracked despite the fire brick liner.  I need to go back and patch some areas with refractory mortar.  Biggest issue is the counterweight for the larger door isn't heavy enough.  I'm going to have to add a second weight.  

IMG-3850.jpg

IMG-3852.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Mostly finished up the pit this weekend with some help from a few buddies.  I had the doors cut by my fab guy.  I screwed up on the fire box door dimensions, so had to get those re-cut at the last minute.  Everything went pretty smoothly, but we ran into a few issues along the way.  I'd do about a dozen things differently if I did it over again, but all-in-all, I'm super stoked.  Broke it in with some chicken and sausage Saturday night, then a pork butt and a whole turkey breast yesterday.  Takes a while to get up to temp, but holds heat really well.  I do have some smoke leakage and some of the exterior stonework has already cracked despite the fire brick liner.  I need to go back and patch some areas with refractory mortar.  Biggest issue is the counterweight for the larger door isn't heavy enough.  I'm going to have to add a second weight.  

IMG-3850.jpg

IMG-3852.jpg

Why do I imagine that when you look at pictures of other people’s smokers you think to yourself “You call that a smoker? Now this is a smoker!”

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, hornian said:

Why do I imagine that when you look at pictures of other people’s smokers you think to yourself “You call that a smoker? Now this is a smoker!”

Ha!  It is total overkill, but it was a fun project.  I had a 12 lb pork butt and a big turkey breast and some sausage and it just looked puny.  May need to start just cooking more and freezing it.

Are reverse flow smokers designed to be sprayed down with water? Ideally while hot?

I.E. "How to warp your metal with 1 weird trick".  Reverse, normal... whatever, this is a bad move all the way around.

Who the fuck told him that's how to break in a smoker (much less "do this every time after you smoke")?  My simple 2 step is to shut off the intake, shut off the exhaust stack & the next time I'm ready to work with Earl, I hope I have some decent sized chunks left in the firebox & can restart with these pieces.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

That stack appears to be a bit low.  Also, kinda wasted space on the far L end of the tank.

I mean, good on ya that you have a trailer rig & it's probable that you get some good work off of it, but...

I’ll be sure and reach out before the next build!

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Big Shirley had bath today, inside and out. I've only done a couple cooks on her since the plague started, but we're cooking for a couple graduations so she got some TLC.

Next weekend we're gonna sand and refinish the bar and countertop on the side of the trailer. Then in the fall we're planning on insulating the firebox. And maybe an awning for the back side. 9f0f24c39d58f2c6e1a76fc2334c2e7e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Big Shirley had bath today, inside and out. I've only done a couple cooks on her since the plague started, but we're cooking for a couple graduations so she got some TLC.

Next weekend we're gonna sand and refinish the bar and countertop on the side of the trailer. Then in the fall we're planning on insulating the firebox. And maybe an awning for the back side. 9f0f24c39d58f2c6e1a76fc2334c2e7e.jpg

Lookin' good.  I'd love a recreation of the build thread from TOS.  I'd go look for it over there, but that place needs to be hosed down, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...