All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

How does this thing work?  You slide out the lower drawer, start your fire, and slide it back in? 

You'll notice that he also has an airflow controller on it.  I bet that thing holds a rock solid temp with fairly efficient fuel consumption. 

Big thanks to [mention=1395]Both Tacos[/mention] for parting with his MJH.  Fired it yesterday for the first time and smoked some chicken wings. Ridiculously easy to get going compared to my offset.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a162d1b9178abe8880ae33e5ec69434d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e8be49cdefc7732fee31b7ac58870ff5.jpeg

I’ll spare you guys the shot after saucing with Alabama white. 
Those wings look awesome. Glad you got some smoke rolling on it. It's been kind of lonely that past couple of years.
Yes, with the fan assist and the insulation you can have a long cook without burning much charcoal/wood.

Ironically, moving back to a stick burner.  Always wil have and love my egg, but the offset right now is a blast.  Imparts a batter bark and flavor profile for sure.  Lump as the base from a chimney starter or map torch.   Then layers of those hollow, honeycomb lump logs.  Then cured oak on top or to the side.  Those honeycomb logs last an insanely long time and seem to burn hotter than traditional lump.  

3AF9C251-0232-4F38-9043-63C2569B3596.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

what are these honeycomb log things?

Prime 6 from Kroger.  Think they were on Shark Tank at some point?  

You can stack them like this and the airflow is insane.  I like to tinker, so I play around with flavor all the time with various cuts of wood.  I usually stick with oak, but I have a bunch of other types curing including mesquite from the ranch.  Just hook up the same dual probe thermometer and you're good to go.  I'd trust those logs to burn all night with enough fuel on the offset box.  

Prime 6 Charcoal 9LB 2 Pack

Amazon.com: Prime 6 Charcoal for Grilling & BBQ — Natural Recycled Hardwood  Charcoal Logs — Reusable Lump Coal with no Binders, Additives, or Chemicals  — Original 9lb Pack : Sports & Outdoors

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You can stack them like this and the airflow is insane.  I like to tinker, so I play around with flavor all the time with various cuts of wood.  I usually stick with oak, but I have a bunch of other types curing including mesquite from the ranch.  Just hook up the same dual probe thermometer and you're good to go.  I'd trust those logs to burn all night with enough fuel on the offset box.  

Amazon.com: Prime 6 Charcoal for Grilling & BBQ — Natural Recycled Hardwood  Charcoal Logs — Reusable Lump Coal with no Binders, Additives, or Chemicals  — Original 9lb Pack : Sports & Outdoors

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's the damnedest thing I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am intrigued, but if I used those things I would feel like a hypocrite for making fun of the pellet smokers for cooking with sawdust. 

Yeah.  A true stick burner would craft his own honeycomb sticks from post oak with a lathe and whittlin' knife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am intrigued, but if I used those things I would feel like a hypocrite for making fun of the pellet smokers for cooking with sawdust. 

I give the outdoor oven crowd shit because they are cooking with a plugged in.....outdoor oven with a hopper.  When you dial up your temp on a digital gauge, that's where I scoff a little.  

These are just a different kind of lump with better airflow.  Combined with post oak, the results are fantastic.  

Edited by BabaYaga

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

It eventually all comes back to the WSM.  Embrace the engineered coal like the rest of us.  :D

It’s a journey.  Started out with a WSM, sold it to a poster on shaggy, went to a stick burner for 10+ years, and recently got rid of that and went to a BGE.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's pressed sawdust charcoal, very very high density. In Asia it's often done with coconut husks. Very consistent and long burn, difficult to light and go hot and fast. Generally less "flavor" from the smoke (cleaner burn) due to the mfg process, but it allows you to tailor the flavor precisely using chunks or chips. Similar shaped pressed coal is used in Japanese hibachi tabletop cooking because it's good consistent heat and burns super clean.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

It's pressed sawdust charcoal, very very high density. In Asia it's often done with coconut husks. Very consistent and long burn, difficult to light and go hot and fast. Generally less "flavor" from the smoke (cleaner burn) due to the mfg process, but it allows you to tailor the flavor precisely using chunks or chips. Similar shaped pressed coal is used in Japanese hibachi tabletop cooking because it's good consistent heat and burns super clean.

Yea, I saw these used in Korea at high end beef and leaf places. Never thought about using them for smoking. Interdasting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Airflow per square inch maybe.

This.  My old offset has trouble getting up to temp and i prefer to cook hotter:  250-275 range.  I arrange the oak around them and so far, with two cooks in, they have been the best I've done (3 pork butts and a chuck).  

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, I saw these used in Korea at high end beef and leaf places. Never thought about using them for smoking. Interdasting. 

Yep.  They burn hotter and seem to last longer than lump.  The oak gives the flavor, they provide more heat and help with a constant temp (which is the bane of most stick burners, especially mine).

Lump users know the large pieces are the best and the smaller ones clump up and can clock airflow.  This basically solves for this.  I'll keep tinkering with it, but so far I'm a fan.    

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

Hmm, okay.  Whatever works for you, of course.

I don't have any problem using straight splits.  In fact, I usually chop my splits in half so I can control the heat even better, the firebox holds temp so well that sometimes adding a full split pushes me over desired temp.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Hmm, okay.  Whatever works for you, of course.

I don't have any problem using straight splits.  In fact, I usually chop my splits in half so I can control the heat even better, the firebox holds temp so well that sometimes adding a full split pushes me over desired temp.

I might go that route as well, but no splitter at the house and the oak logs I have are huge.  Might start slicing longways like bread and then split those?  My issue is this an ancient smoker given to me by a friend.  It was his fathers and he wanted it to have a home.  Has trouble getting up to temp and then holding it.  These give me consistent blocks of time that are between 5-6 hours each, so I can leave the house, go to sleep, etc.  

I'm always trying new things, so it's a process.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I might go that route as well, but no splitter at the house and the oak logs I have are huge.  Might start slicing longways like bread and then split those?  My issue is this an ancient smoker given to me by a friend.  It was his fathers and he wanted it to have a home.  Has trouble getting up to temp and then holding it.  These give me consistent blocks of time that are between 5-6 hours each, so I can leave the house, go to sleep, etc.  

Oh yeah, if the smoker is leaky or thin or just has other issues coming up to temp, then you gotta do what you gotta do.  I do consider myself lucky that mine is so predictable and reliable.  It woulda cost a fortune if it hadn't been given to me as a gift. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Oh yeah, if the smoker is leaky or thin or just has other issues coming up to temp, then you gotta do what you gotta do.  I do consider myself lucky that mine is so predictable and reliable.  It woulda cost a fortune if it hadn't been given to me as a gift. :)

Have a weakness for old dogs and old smokers - have a house full of both and can never say no to new ones.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  They burn hotter and seem to last longer than lump.  The oak gives the flavor, they provide more heat and help with a constant temp (which is the bane of most stick burners, especially mine).

Lump users know the large pieces are the best and the smaller ones clump up and can clock airflow.  This basically solves for this.  I'll keep tinkering with it, but so far I'm a fan.    

Following that line of thinking, may want to check O-mart or H-mart for this stuff if you want it and it’s not in a local grocery store. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, BabaYaga said:

I saw this thread last week and it got me thinking about trying the Prime 6 charcoal on my Old Country Brazos offset.  I have the same issue with my splits being too big for my firebox to really control the heat well, and I only have an axe, hatchet and bigger splitter to split the wood.  It's a lot harder to get it split thin like I like it.  I ordered 22 lb box of the Prime 6 off of Amazon and can't wait to give it a try next weekend.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

I saw this thread last week and it got me thinking about trying the Prime 6 charcoal on my Old Country Brazos offset.  I have the same issue with my splits being too big for my firebox to really control the heat well, and I only have an axe, hatchet and bigger splitter to split the wood.  It's a lot harder to get it split thin like I like it.  I ordered 22 lb box of the Prime 6 off of Amazon and can't wait to give it a try next weekend.  

I actually use a chop saw to cross cut the splits.  Usually into halves, sometimes into thirds if they're pretty thick.

Super easy to control the temp by throwing on a full stick around once per hour, or a partial if necessary on the half-hour to tweak the temp.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I actually use a chop saw to cross cut the splits.  Usually into halves, sometimes into thirds if they're pretty thick.

Super easy to control the temp by throwing on a full stick around once per hour, or a partial if necessary on the half-hour to tweak the temp.

I don't have one of those though.  Sometimes I buy the B&B splits at Academy and they work okay, but I don't get the same rich smoke from those kiln dried woods that I get from my aged oak and pecan.

9 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

I don't have one of those though.  Sometimes I buy the B&B splits at Academy and they work okay, but I don't get the same rich smoke from those kiln dried woods that I get from my aged oak and pecan.

Chainsaw?  So I stack the honeycomb crosswise, then take slices of the larger oak (like a large disc) and add that in on top.  The bark and taste is better than anything I've been able to replicate in the egg.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Was in Ft. Stockton Thursday and drove past James Rooney Memorial Park. Really nice park. Lot of amenities. Notice they had this bbq set-up, and it was labeled BBQ Pit #1. They had 3 other sites around the park with big ass propane tank smokers (4 doors) for the good peeps of Ft. Stockton to use. Very impressed. Way to go Ft. Stockton. Party On!! Plus, it's rodeo weekend.

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 4

Doing a big backyard remodel and was thinking about getting a new smoker for back there, but decided I would just grind down and repaint my current smoker. She isn’t really big, but she does a good job. This is 9 years old, and looks brand new again.

ef13f0c4cfe5620d98b57a4718de5ad5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, JSB said:

Doing a big backyard remodel and was thinking about getting a new smoker for back there, but decided I would just grind down and repaint my current smoker. She isn’t really big, but she does a good job. This is 9 years old, and looks brand new again.

ef13f0c4cfe5620d98b57a4718de5ad5.jpg

Basically the same pit.  You had better lighting for your after pics.  Good job.  I’ve moved on from this one, but your pic reminded me of it.

78228883-863F-4DB7-B788-BACEFA43F5AA.thumb.jpeg.d8f0a389123e549f046f66d6befc322f.jpegC653F11B-C5DE-4612-9366-F4364F789990.thumb.jpeg.d070887020d0737a73a5d4dff27ebfc9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Couldn't find the perfect thread, but Austin-area back yard smokers might want to jump on this Prime brisket at HEB ($4.11/lb):

image.png.56895d3e2edcb613734a066d8d866c35.png

We have a "brisket prices" thread that I started (on the other site) many years back, and re-started here when we moved.  I usually revive it about this time each year, since many stores do sales before each of the summer holidays.  But honestly it usually gets discussed on the "all things brisket" thread, too.

Ah, just found it.  I labeled it specific to 2018.  I think I used to do it yearly at the other place.

Suppose we could start one for 2022.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, utee94 said:

We have a "brisket prices" thread that I started (on the other site) many years back, and re-started here when we moved.  I usually revive it about this time each year, since many stores do sales before each of the summer holidays.  But honestly it usually gets discussed on the "all things brisket" thread, too.

Ah, just found it.  I labeled it specific to 2018.  I think I used to do it yearly at the other place.

Suppose we could start one for 2022.

just make it the brisket price thread, all inclusive!

• 5 months later...

Haven’t read through this thread so please excuse me if it’s been discussed. Franklin pit.  Anyone seen one, used one or heard anything about them? They look gorgeous and the made in the USA is a bonus for me and part of the reason for the extravagant price tag. What say the surly? EEE28738-557D-4B59-9525-E744A6523B18.thumb.jpeg.72aff3c9b018b81ccc1f0be20bd3de53.jpeg578DB82C-056C-4F57-9EE1-90E0686C993A.thumb.jpeg.4a02c56ad273ab64951cb6aa6ce707a4.jpeg